• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBasch

I just got back from work...and L.A. Noire 3.74 usd :) good...is price only for Mexico or wtf? if someone need help on this price just add me...

EDIT: News for the Sale? is tomorrow?
I noticed that as well. LA Noire for 50+ pesos isn't bad at all.

At least we deserved that for having a expensive Dead Space 2.

Even better, I hope they do something like they did the this past Christmas Sale.

Earning Achievements gets you free games and coal to trade for free games.

Something like that forced me to actually play some of those games. Hence I love Jamestown :)

They should do some meta-achievements that are things like "earn 10 achievements in any combination of games in your library" or "earn 100% of the achievements in a single game." The traditional free achievements (take a photo, leave a comment etc.) are a bit tired at this point.

ShaneB

Always nice to actually finish a game in the backlog, no matter how long or short it is :) Just finished Gemini Rue, lot of fun. Story had me hooked enough to keep playing with that "what happens next" feeling. Not perfect and the interface was a little wacky, but definitely a great adventure game.

It's amazing how the DayZ mod has made Arma2: CO sit on top of the top sellers list. Even with LA Noire selling for $3.74 AU today it can't get knocked off.

camerooni

Neo Member
When i see Arma 2 on top of the list i think to myself fuck console gaming.

When I see full retail titles selling for $3.74 I have to agree =) Volume is where it is at baby.. I'd love to buy heaps of games that are in publishers 'dirty room' as commercial failures if they're $0 - $10 (Not saying L.A Noire was a failure btw)

Quite often I think you learn more about games and design from seeing where things went wrong as opposed to the highly polished glossy 'doesn't try anything' safe games.

It's amazing how the DayZ mod has made Arma2: CO sit on top of the top sellers list. Even with LA Noire selling for $3.74 AU today it can't get knocked off.

Since Aussies so seldom get games cheaper than other regions I've decided to start calling this the Team Bondi Memorial Discount.

Caerith

They should do some meta-achievements that are things like "earn 10 achievements in any combination of games in your library" or "earn 100% of the achievements in a single game." The traditional free achievements (take a photo, leave a comment etc.) are a bit tired at this point.
Time to reinstall Day of Defeat: Source, Counter-Strike: Source, and Spiral Knights!

Derrick01

Banned
That bad?

It was pretty bad. Granted I did not play MP 1 and 2 so apparently most of my criticisms fit those games but let's just say as much as I harp on games for being too linear, setpiece driven and having too many cutscenes...this game was the worst of all those that I've played in quite some time. And I spent $60 on it.

Rahk

Is the LA Noire complete edition just the game + DLC? It appears to be cheaper to just buy them separately.

Screw it, I should just finish it on 360 since I'm half way through instead of double dipping, even though I haven't turned my 360 on in about 6 months. Or is there any reason to play it on PC apart from frame rate?

Is the LA Noire complete edition just the game + DLC? It appears to be cheaper to just buy them separately.

Screw it, I should just finish it on 360 since I'm half way through instead of double dipping, even though I haven't turned my 360 on in about 6 months. Or is there any reason to play it on PC apart from frame rate?

The PC version is locked at 30FPS, so may as well play it on 360. I just bought it because I managed to sell my PS3 edition for $20, getting me a net profit when upgrading to the PC edition :)

Alex

For LA Noire, I dont know how the 360 version ran, but on PS3 the game was nowhere near a stable 30 FPS. It ran terribly and was incredibly jagged.

Card Boy

Banned
It was pretty bad. Granted I did not play MP 1 and 2 so apparently most of my criticisms fit those games but let's just say as much as I harp on games for being too linear, setpiece driven and having too many cutscenes...this game was the worst of all those that I've played in quite some time. And I spent $60 on it.

It's a bad Max Payne game but not a bad game on its own. Agreed with you, way too many cutscenes, too linear, too many setpieces and turret segments. Rockstar takes a absolute dump over Redemys legacy. Granted i only spent $50 thanks to PrematureQuiche (UK gaffer) and i got LA Noire.

If people want Max Payne '3', just get Alan Wake its the closest you will ever get.

Salsa

there's a 60fps unlocker out there

I believe it messes with some random animations while driving or something like that (you can skip driving) but Ive seen posts by people who played the entire game that way with no issues.

edit: talking about LA Noire

Joe Molotov

Time to reinstall Day of Defeat: Source, Counter-Strike: Source, and Spiral Knights!

I'm officially giving the middle finger to any and all F2P MMO achievements. NEVER AGAIN!

Unless it's one of those "Play for 5 minutes and get the achievement" things.

But anything involving Spiral Knights can jump up my butt. I'm not even downloading that again.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm officially giving the middle finger to any and all F2P MMO achievements. NEVER AGAIN!

But anything involving Spiral Knights can jump up my butt. I'm not even downloading that again.

I did the Champions online one....

Turned out to not be one.

Besides the R2 trigger on my PS3 controller not accelerating the vehicle, LA Noire runs fine & it looks better in black & white to me, I guess it hides some of it's flaws.

Danj

My deposit money from my previous residence just came in! Awwww yeah, my Steam Wallet is now charged and ready! Bring on the Summer Sale tomorrow Thursday 28th June!

No, NO. MP3 is easily the best action shooter in a long time. I have played the first 2 so it's not that I have no perspective on the series either. Now, it is not without it's faults. It's just as linear as the first two and it does suffer from a bit from having too many cut scenes. The story is a bit predictable as well. It doesn't really have the same tone as the first two either. The first two Max Payne's are a combination of great storytelling with a great voice acting and fantastic gun play. MP3 has some great great GREAT gun play. It is challenging so it's no cakewalk like 85% of shooters we get today. Now, I liked the story, buy that probably has more to do with the fact that I love Max Payne as a character and wanted to see what has happened to him from the second MP. The multiplayer is also surprisingly deep and fleshed out. Now, I don't regret my $60 purchase, even though it's bullshit that it was $60 to begin with as opposed to $50 we PC gamers are accustomed to with new releases. If your on the fence with it, and would not feel comfortable paying $60, i'd say if it hit $20 or $30 it'd be a tremendous value that isn't too high risk.

Though I will say, I respect your opinion good sir, and can not fault you for not liking it.

Finding out that all cutscenes had shit smeared all over them ("post-process effects") dropped Max Payne 3 to like sub 10$ for me.

Yeah, sadly it is quite prevalent throughout the game. I honestly thought they'd let me disable it for a second play-through. Nope. Still a great game as far as action and gun play is concerned.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Max Payne 3 is a great TPS, but its biggest problem is, as far as the SP campaign is concerned, the player spends more time watching than actually playing.

Derrick01

Banned
No, NO. MP3 is easily the best action shooter in a long time. I have played the first 2 so it's not that I have no perspective on the series either. Now, it is not without it's faults. It's just as linear as the first two and it does suffer from a bit from having too many cut scenes. The story is a bit predictable as well. It doesn't really have the same tone as the first two either. The first two Max Payne's are a combination of great storytelling with a great voice acting and fantastic gun play. MP3 has some great great GREAT gun play. It is challenging so it's no cakewalk like 85% of shooters we get today. Now, I liked the story, buy that probably has more to do with the fact that I love Max Payne as a character and wanted to see what has happened to him from the second MP. The multiplayer is also surprisingly deep and fleshed out. Now, I don't regret my $60 purchase, even though it's bullshit that it was $60 to begin with as opposed to $50 we PC gamers are accustomed to with new releases. If your on the fence with it, and would not feel comfortable paying $60, i'd say if it hit $20 or $30 it'd be a tremendous value that isn't too high risk.

Though I will say, I respect your opinion good sir, and can not fault you for not liking it.

To me it represents everything wrong with modern gaming and if not for EA's bastard Syndicate reboot it would be the worst game I've played in 2012 so far. To each their own.

Rockstar made it into a Rockstar game.

Yeah it's incredibly pretentious and borderline douchey the way Max narrates and how often those words pop up. Like at first I thought it was a little neat for extra emphasis on key words, but then it just kept doing it on the most random words and it made no sense at all. Like "I opened the DOOR" and the last word would flash and I'm looking around going "the fuck was that for?"

The worst was the constant neon flashing lights every 3 seconds during the cutscenes. Drove my eyes insane.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
MP3 was a 6 / 10 game in my book. Pacing and cutscenes had serious issues, not to mention the last stand mechanic and cover system needed to be retooled heavily or outright removed.

Sub $10 seems about right, honestly.

Bejeweled 3 is serious business.

aFuB8m.jpg

JaseC

MP3 was a 6 / 10 game in my book. Pacing and cutscenes had serious issues, not to mention the last stand mechanic and cover system needed to be retooled heavily or outright removed.

It's completely stupid how the player is forced to wait for Max to reposition his gun towards the target. Half of the time you're killed by somebody behind you, so instead of Last Man Standing being a way to save yourself, it's just an elongated death animation.

It's completely stupid how the player is forced to wait for Max to reposition his gun towards the target. Half of the time you're killed by somebody behind you, so instead of Last Man Standing being a way to save yourself, it's just an elongated death animation.

tumblr_m5y548SIaf1ruff5yo1_250.gif

Salsa

when that happens you ussually turn around and you're able to shoot the guy

only had one instance where the dude moved to cover and I couldnt shoot him so I had to wait for the animation

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map

Haha, yeah. For me though, half the time it triggered Max would fall over to one side and I'd be unable to even see my attacker, much less shoot him back. Excellent work, R*.

I had a lot of fun with MP3, but I really don't think there ever needs to be a MP4. Let Max have peace, Rockstar.

Let him team up with snake.

I think max payne is one of those franchises which got a free nostalgia pass because of bullet time and the noir stuff. Not surpised if mp3 isn't much good, especially with modern viscerality applied.

I'm really, really hoping that ARMA II goes on sale. So far I have a budget of about 75$ to blow on Steam Summer sales, but I really want ARMA II for DayZ.

Any thoughts that it might possibly go on sale again?

Caerith

I'd actually like Spiral Knights if it wasn't F2P. The basic gameplay is pretty enjoyable.

I'm kinda looking forward to the 2013 summer sale achievements for The Old Republic and Tera.

I'm really, really hoping that ARMA II goes on sale. So far I have a budget of about 75$ to blow on Steam Summer sales, but I really want ARMA II for DayZ.

Any thoughts that it might possibly go on sale again?

I've been on DayZ for the better part of 2 months. I can say, I hope it goes on sale, but just think, that if it doesn't, it'll be freaking great by the time you eventually get it. It is in a constant state of change. I've actually taken a break for the last week, so that maybe a direction is picked and then focused on. Still, it is a ton of fun as it is. If you don't mind, literally running, with nothing happening for minutes on end.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'd actually like Spiral Knights if it wasn't F2P. The basic gameplay is pretty enjoyable.

I'm kinda looking forward to the 2013 summer sale achievements for The Old Republic and Tera.

Don't understand why Tera isn't even up on the service. One of the few games I'm interested in buying this year. Will play through SWTOR also if it goes F2P. Just for the story of course :p

If it is delayed, hopefully Tribes Ascend makes it in time with cheevos like. 10 Blue Plate specials for the Summer award.

JaseC

when that happens you ussually turn around and you're able to shoot the guy

only had one instance where the dude moved to cover and I couldnt shoot him so I had to wait for the animation

Yeah, but the turning around itself shaves off about a second. And then there's...

Haha, yeah. For me though, half the time it triggered Max would fall over to one side and I'd be unable to even see my attacker, much less shoot him back. Excellent work, R*.

...this, too.

Edit: I do like the idea behind LMS, but its execution was flawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom