• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

LobLob

Banned
I added $50 to my wallet for the summer sale a few days ago. I am already down to $38.

Don't tell my wife.

I am with you, i traded in my shitty gamestop credit for a 50 dollar steam voucher and i am down to 36 dollars. I can't spend anymore since i only earmarked 50 dollars for the summer sale.

Thank god i don't have a wife.

Sober

Max Payne 3 is a great TPS, but its biggest problem is, as far as the SP campaign is concerned, the player spends more time watching than actually playing.
That's what arcade mode is for!

But yeah, the cutscene effects were a bit much as well as some of the BS last stand moments (or getting used to last stand, in general). Did not really touch MP modes too much but I felt it was worth at least 40 of the 60$ I spent on it from the campaign and arcade mode alone.

R*, I demand a 20$ reimbursement!

Let him team up with snake.

I think max payne is one of those franchises which got a free nostalgia pass because of bullet time and the noir stuff. Not surpised if mp3 isn't much good, especially with modern viscerality applied.

I think it's really good - easily the most enjoyable level-based 3rd person shooter I've played this gen.

Bought AvP for $3 since I already own LA Noire on my PS3 - justified since I spent more on a double double and a cinnamon roll this afternoon.

camerooni

Neo Member
I'm officially giving the middle finger to any and all F2P MMO achievements. NEVER AGAIN!

Unless it's one of those "Play for 5 minutes and get the achievement" things.

But anything involving Spiral Knights can jump up my butt. I'm not even downloading that again.

Pretty sure the Spiral Knights snowball one 'was' a 5 minute achievement. (Though I guess I had already played the 10 minute intro to get into Haven.. so I yeah.. but all in all 15mins ain't bad).

Joe Molotov

Finding out that all cutscenes had shit smeared all over them ("post-process effects") dropped Max Payne 3 to like sub 10$ for me.

Why don't you stop being so entitled and learn how to be happy with whatever you get? This is a AAA-title, they spent a lot of money advertising it. Now fork over your money.

Joe Molotov

Pretty sure the Spiral Knights snowball one 'was' a 5 minute achievement. (Though I guess I had already played the 10 minute intro to get into Haven.. so I yeah.. but all in all 15mins ain't bad).

Haha, tell that to the people that spent hours hoping to randomly get in the right stage (I know there were a few around here). It only took me about 20 minutes, but still.

camerooni

Neo Member
I think it's really good - easily the most enjoyable level-based 3rd person shooter I've played this gen.

Bought AvP for $3 since I already own LA Noire on my PS3 - justified since I spent more on a double double and a cinnamon roll this afternoon.

I am curious about what a 'double double' is? Coffee?

I'm really, really hoping that ARMA II goes on sale. So far I have a budget of about 75$ to blow on Steam Summer sales, but I really want ARMA II for DayZ.

Any thoughts that it might possibly go on sale again?

I would be surprised that it would go on sale seeing as though it's still on top of the top sellers and is obviously selling plenty at full price.

I've had it for about 2 months and I can say that it's worth the $30.

I added $50 to my wallet for the summer sale a few days ago. I am already down to $38.

Don't tell my wife.

This.

zkylon

zkylewd
Max Payne 3 is a great TPS, but its biggest problem is, as far as the SP campaign is concerned, the player spends more time watching than actually playing.
And if you can't skip that, then it's a big problem, unfortunately. The game is annoying to replay.

camerooni

Neo Member
Arguably the most purchased coffee in Canada. Two milk/cream, two sugar.

Ah. Filter coffee then(?) with those weird little capsule thingies that say they're milk but are not refrigerated but then don't have the same consistency as UHT milk.

This cultural exchange has been fun.. I had so much fun trying to order a 'Flat White' in the states/canada - closest I could get was latte no foam, but even then the consistency was off.

By the way - love what you guys do with the Tim Horton's over there =) My husband (we got married in Banff, apparently if you can get two guys married in Alberta you should be able to get married anywhere.. but yeah.. yay Australia :/) and I were floored by the cheap yet surprisingly decent breakfast foods on offer.. getting a Coffee, doughnut, coffee scroll, apple, banana, yoghurt with fruit and a bottle of orange juice for < $10 was just incredible to us.

To keep this post relevant - I noticed on the Rockstar social club that it looks like L.A Noire has done away with GFWL as all the stat tracking pages have a little Rockstar Social Club icon instead of the GFWL one.. I'm assuming MP3 is like this as well..

Wouldn't it be nice if they stripped GFWL out of their older games.. *sigh*

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
To keep this post relevant - I noticed on the Rockstar social club that it looks like L.A Noire has done away with GFWL as all the stat tracking pages have a little Rockstar Social Club icon instead of the GFWL one.. I'm assuming MP3 is like this as well..

Wouldn't it be nice if they stripped GFWL out of their older games.. *sigh*

Yeah, R* revamped R*SC as a substitute for GFWL, which debuted with the PC version of L.A. Noire; Max Payne 3 is no different. Suffice it to say that R* has rescinded its Lonely Hearts Club membership.

Milamber

Aww man, all this food talk is driving me crazy. I'm now craving for some of Sonic's burgers.

So tomorrow is finally the day we find out if Gaben can count to three as this will be the third Thursday that a Summer Sale happens.

camerooni

Neo Member
This day is dragging on forever.. Then I remembered it's Wednesday in Australia and I won't actually know if the Steam Sale starts on Thursday until Friday morning at 5am-ish.. bleh!

I did the Champions online one....

Turned out to not be one.
Haha, I was fuming about the Poker Night at the Inventory achievement. It took me hours to get "We Three Kings" (or whatever it was called), they then decided to use a much easier one. Win a few hands... Never again! I'll wait until they're actually confirmed this time.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I got the easy achievements and sent in index card entries lumped into a single envelope to Valve for the rest, as per the fine print. Figured they'd get trashed or ignored but I actually got a few Valve games as prizes in my inventory about a month later. Might have gotten other games if they hadn't run out and were only giving out Valve games there near the end. I will probably do the same thing next time.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
To me it represents everything wrong with modern gaming and if not for EA's bastard Syndicate reboot it would be the worst game I've played in 2012 so far. To each their own.

Yeah it's incredibly pretentious and borderline douchey the way Max narrates and how often those words pop up. Like at first I thought it was a little neat for extra emphasis on key words, but then it just kept doing it on the most random words and it made no sense at all. Like "I opened the DOOR" and the last word would flash and I'm looking around going "the fuck was that for?"

The worst was the constant neon flashing lights every 3 seconds during the cutscenes. Drove my eyes insane.
Isn't Max Payne fucked up on alcohol and painikillers the whole time? Maybe they were shooting for a disorientating presentation.

One thing that annoyed me from the last Summer sale event is adding a YouTube video for a ticket. It was easy enough but once I unlinked my YouTube account it still showed I have one video in my profile, but if you click the "Videos" link there's nothing there. Other people complained about this on the Steam forums and a Valve employee said it was a visual bug that would be fixed. This was all last Fall and it's still there.

So I'd like to buy LA Noire and AVP, but I keep getting this message when trying to check out.

"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

I've tried it in Steam, I've tried it in Chrome, and I've tried it in an incognito window. Is there a workaround?

JaseC

So I'd like to buy LA Noire and AVP, but I keep getting this message when trying to check out.

"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

I've tried it in Steam, I've tried it in Chrome, and I've tried it in an incognito window. Is there a workaround?

This has happened to me once or twice, but on each occasion the issue fixed itself after a short while. The only workaround I'm aware of would be to have somebody gift you the games.

I think spending 30$ on DayZ is perfectly valid, its just I've been "victimized" by sales before (not sure how to term it correctly).

Like, say, buying a copy my copy of the Witcher 2 at 50$, and the next day it was 34$; which happened last year during the summer sale =P

Also, I've read there's a few bugs with the latest DayZ build, so hopefully those will be worked out (they are kinda game breaking, even for an alpha), by the time it hopefully goes on sale.

DagsJT

I think spending 30$ on DayZ is perfectly valid, its just I've been "victimized" by sales before (not sure how to term it correctly).

Like, say, buying a copy my copy of the Witcher 2 at 50$, and the next day it was 34$; which happened last year during the summer sale =P

You mean you didn't follow the Golden Rule? You live and you learn.

Koroviev

So, generally speaking, what's everyone's deal "threshold?" I used to be open to any game that was ~$10, but then the three games I bought for that price (Shogun 2, Civ V and Deus Ex: HR) were reduced to $7.50 each almost immediately. So, now I'm thinking $7.50 is a much better threshold. <= $5 would obviously be better, but I don't have that much impulse control (._.)

Speaking of deals, any ideas as to how much Skyrim might be reduced? The game still seems to be selling like hot cakes, so I'd be surprised to see it go for less than $20. Having learned my lesson, I told my younger sister that it would be wise to get the game for no more than $10.

L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition, $5.74.

YAY or NAY? It's cheap enough, but I don't know how bad the PC version is.

I don't trust Rockstar to make functional PC games. I don't know what their problem is. As for the game itself, it looked really boring based on what I've seen of it.

sazzy

So, generally speaking, what's everyone's deal "threshold?" I used to be open to any game that was ~$10, but then the three games I bought for that price (Shogun 2, Civ V and Deus Ex: HR) were reduced to $7.50 each almost immediately. So, now I'm thinking $7.50 is a much better threshold. <= $5 would obviously be better, but I don't have that much impulse control (._.)

Speaking of deals, any ideas as to how much Skyrim might be reduced? The game still seems to be selling like hot cakes, so I'd be surprised to see it go for less than $20. Having learned my lesson, I told my younger sister that it would be wise to get the game for no more than $10.

Use steamprices.com to decide.

You get an idea about the lowest price they are willing to go to up to current time to sell you the product.

I've decided that in this sale (which won't be the last Steam sale):

a) I'll get everything that interests me, if it's less less than £5.
b) I'll get the really awesome games I may not have yet, for less than £10.
c) I may violate the above rules for one (1) AAA game (like Max Payne 3), but only if it's less than £15.

Last time I enforced these rules in the Christmas sale, I spent about £25, which is pretty OK.

mannerbot

I don't trust Rockstar to make functional PC games. I don't know what their problem is. As for the game itself, it looked really boring based on what I've seen of it.

Skyrim won't be $10 and that's ridiculous to expect it to be. And you should really be looking at % off rather than $ when gauging deals, with 75% being the standard for a good Steam sale. And during a sale event, if the game you're looking at isn't a daily, wait until the last day of the sale to buy it so you can see if it winds up becoming a daily.

Koroviev

Skyrim won't be $10 and that's ridiculous to expect it to be. And you should really be looking at % off rather than $ when gauging deals, with 75% being the standard for a good Steam sale. And during a sale event, if the game you're looking at isn't a daily, wait until the last day of the sale to buy it so you can see if it winds up becoming a daily.

I don't expect Skyrim to be $10. I said I didn't expect it to be any less than $20, if that. However, I told my sister that she should wait until it's $10 because it will be eventually.

CTE

Damn. Couldn't resist AVP at that price. Can't go wrong. I spent more on a couple packs of gum at 7-11 earlier today.

mannerbot

I don't expect Skyrim to be $10. I said I didn't expect it to be any less than $20, if that. However, I told my sister that she should wait until it's $10 because it will be eventually.

Ah, ok. But yeah, steamprices.com does show price history, look at the price and sales chart at the bottom of a game page.

JaseC

Does it just compare regional pricing? I use deals4downloads to determine "historical" sale prices on games.

Steamprices has a price history graph on the page of each game, but it only goes as far back as 30/08/2010.

Koroviev

It's so strange going between Steam sales and PSN "sales." Monster Hunter is on sale for $10, and I bought it thinking "that's a really good deal." It makes me reflect on the value of the games I have for various systems. I should stop thinking about it and accept it (._.)

I bought Witcher 2 on sale.

The yokels over on BSN were so annoyed that I didn't buy it full price.

Corporate sympathizing seems endemic in the gaming community. I don't know what's wrong with us. The thought of a movie studio going under doesn't bring a tear to my eye.

AlexBasch

I bought Witcher 2 on sale.

The yokels over on BSN were so annoyed that I didn't buy it full price.
That reminds me of the time when some guy snapped at me in Kotaku because I didn't mind paying $12.49 for a Dragon Age 1/2 bundle and seeing the second as a freebie because I enjoyed Origins very much.

I don't even remember what made him angry, but it was something along the lines of "so how about us who spent $60 on it and ended up disappointed?! Are we fucking stupid? Is that what you think?!". It was amusing and strange at the same time.

Koroviev

So now that the PS4 will be two PS3s duct taped together, what does this mean for PC gaming?

Despite being a huge fan of Japanese games, I don't see myself owning a next gen console for quite a while. I only have six games for my PS3, compared to 100+ on Steam. In light of that, a decent PC upgrade seems much more reasonable.

kafiend

That reminds me of the time when some guy snapped at me in Kotaku because I didn't mind paying $12.49 for a Dragon Age 1/2 bundle and seeing the second as a freebie because I enjoyed Origins very much.

I don't even remember what made him angry, but it was something along the lines of "so how about us who spent $60 on it and ended up disappointed?! Are we fucking stupid? Is that what you think?!". It was amusing and strange at the same time.

A guy posting on the Internet how he was disappointed about buying a game day one....

Did DA2 come with a month of free Internet and thats how he found out it was shit after he bought it?

A guy posting on the Internet how he was disappointed about buying a game day one....

Did DA2 come with a month of free Internet and thats how he found out it was shit after he bought it?

Most likely he did enjoy it, then read about how the game was poorly received and changed his mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom