• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Despite being a huge fan of Japanese games, I don't see myself owning a next gen console for quite a while. I only have six games for my PS3, compared to 100+ on Steam. In light of that, a decent PC upgrade seems much more reasonable.

Precisely how I feel. I love Japanese games, but have no desire to pick up another console anytime soon. More PC upgrades and a 3DSXL will be where my money's going for 'next gen.'

Koroviev

Precisely how I feel. I love Japanese games, but have no desire to pick up another console anytime soon. More PC upgrades and a 3DSXL will be where my money's going for 'next gen.'

Yeah, the vast majority of my gaming time is spent on portables. As a matter of fact, I'm playing Tactics Ogre: LUCT as I type this.

I think spending 30$ on DayZ is perfectly valid, its just I've been "victimized" by sales before (not sure how to term it correctly).

Like, say, buying a copy my copy of the Witcher 2 at 50$, and the next day it was 34$; which happened last year during the summer sale =P

Also, I've read there's a few bugs with the latest DayZ build, so hopefully those will be worked out (they are kinda game breaking, even for an alpha), by the time it hopefully goes on sale.
There's been more than a few bugs in every single update. Fix one thing, break another. But it's still a shitload of fun, even with the annoyances. But if alpha/bug testing isn't your thing you might wanna hold off until a beta is released. Though really, the dynamics of the game and the atmosphere make all the bugs more than worthwhile. $30 for Arma II is still a great deal, as some of the other multiplayers are incredibly bad ass. I never even played Arma II before DayZ and since the mod was released I've had just as much fun playing just other multiplayer modes as DayZ itself.

Thermite

The summer sale needs to get here! I really want to buy and play Fallout: New Vegas and DayZ. :p

*Prays New Vegas and Arma 2 go on sale*

Salsa

I think spending 30$ on DayZ is perfectly valid

It isnt. Your giving $30 to Arma II developers just to play a mod that didnt involve any of them besides the creation of the engine.

I find it really cool that a mod like this augmented Arma II steam sales fivefold, but im not gonna buy a game to play a free mod at that price when im not giving the money to who I would want to. I bet the Arma II are a great bunch of hard working people and that the base game is probably great, but that's not what I wanna play.

Sale or bust.

Finished Driver San Francisco today. And by finished I mean I completed the main story and some of the side activities... there's still a ton of other stuff still left to do in the game. This game is hands down the best arcade racer I have ever played. Came out of nowhere and completely blew me away with how awesome it was. People, if you missed the daily deal, make sure you get it in the big sale. For 7.5$ it is an absolute fucking steal.

kafiend

It isnt. Your giving $30 to Arma II developers just to play a mod that didnt involve any of them besides the creation of the engine.

I find it really cool that a mod like this augmented Arma II steam sales fivefold, but im not gonna buy a game to play a free mod at that price when im not giving the money to who I would want to. I bet the Arma II are a great bunch of hard working people and that the base game is probably great, but that's not what I wanna play.

Sale or bust.

I mostly agree with you. Although there is the idea that giving money to the Arma devs is a reward for implementing modding in such a good way. It's also an encouragement to other devs to do the same.

We all want better games right? Its just a pity when those creating the better games are doing it for free.

Salsa

DayZ creator works at Bohemia Interactive.

im pretty sure Dean Hall is not the only one involved with the mod

and the point im trying to make is that I dont like the idea of buying a whole different game at full price to play a free mod of it.

I'll get Arma II on sale and if I enjoy DayZ (bound to), i'll get it at full price when it's a fully featured standalone release.

We all want better games right?

of course, I fully intend to support the mod, but I just dont like the idea of buying an old game at $30 when the base game's content isnt why im buying it.

im pretty sure Dean Hall is not the only one involved with the mod

and the point im trying to make is that I dont like the idea of buying a whole different game at full price to play a free mod of it.

I'll get Arma II on sale and if I enjoy DayZ (bound to), i'll get it at full price when it's a fully featured standalone release.

of course, I fully intend to support the mod, but I just dont like the idea of buying an old game at $30 when the base game's content isnt why im buying it.

I don't really agree, but really, this is the steam thread. You don't need to justify waiting for a discount ;)

Salsa

I don't really agree, but really, this is the steam thread. You don't need to justify waiting for a discount ;)

I dont think im alone here. Many people seem to be waiting on a sale for it just because they have no real interest in owning ARMA II for full price other than to play DayZ. I think it's a pretty fair point :p

I don't agree either. But, money saved is always nice. I wonder where we'd be now gaming wise if no one bought the base game for some of the incredible mods that have come out in the 20+ years because they'd like to wait for a stand alone product. Though, I guess if it's good enough enough people would get to be the test dummies and the people who wait get to play a more fully fledged product. Either way, I hope everyone gets to play DayZ as its a very unique experience. I'm hoping for a sale so I can gift it to people that are kinda in the same boat as SalsaShark. Don't wanna pull the trigger and find out they didn't like anything the base game offered or the mod itself. But if it was $10-$15 it'd be a lot easier for people to make that buy.

I dont think im alone here. Many people seem to be waiting on a sale for it just because they have no real interest in owning ARMA II for full price other than to play DayZ. I think it's a pretty fair point :p

Hey don't worry, I'm certainly waiting for a sale so I can buy ARMA II, download and install the mod and never, ever play it.

camerooni

Neo Member
I don't agree either. But, money saved is always nice. I wonder where we'd be now gaming wise if no one bought the base game for some of the incredible mods that have come out in the 20+ years because they'd like to wait for a stand alone product. Though, I guess if it's good enough enough people would get to be the test dummies and the people who wait get to play a more fully fledged product. Either way, I hope everyone gets to play DayZ as its a very unique experience. I'm hoping for a sale so I can gift it to people that are kinda in the same boat as SalsaShark. Don't wanna pull the trigger and find out they didn't like anything the base game offered or the mod itself. But if it was $10-$15 it'd be a lot easier for people to make that buy.

I bought unreal tournament 3 for 30 bucks on steam to play some mods, right before epic released udk and most of those mods went stand alone :/ poor timing and I don't regret it but see where Salsa is from.. I've never gotten any enjoyment from ut3 :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Considering how well Arma II is doing I wouldn't be surprised if they sneakily just do a 25% discount and leave it at that.

Although I'm equally cynical, Amazon had ARMA 2 and its ilk for half off about six weeks ago, so it would be a colossal pile of bullshit if the series goes on sale for anything less.

The only rule I follow is the golden one.

I won't say anything about only buying games X% off or under $X.00 because I'll just end up breaking it.

My new job pays almost double what my job I had last year did though so I'm really looking forward to the sale.

Salsa

Cant really think of an example where a game was so different than it's mod as to put off buyers. Counter-Strike could be an example but that got standalone pretty quick. I think most great mods came from great succesful games.

I really dont wanna sound like a bad guy here and I always support this kind of stuff, but again: $30 for a full game in wich I am not interested just in order to play an alpha version of a mod is, as you said, a bit steep to make the jump. Super glad they found enough success though. Maks me not feel bad about waiting a bit :p

Hey don't worry, I'm certainly waiting for a sale so I can buy ARMA II, download and install the mod and never, ever play it.

rofl

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Does anyone think this sale could be a little different to what we have experienced now that they have an economist on board?

So how much money are you guys going to spend during the sales? I've got 50 in European legal tender in my Steam wallet, waiting to be spend on some gaming goodness.

kharma45

So how much money are you guys going to spend during the sales? I've got 50 in European legal tender in my Steam wallet, waiting to be spend on some gaming goodness.

I never bother setting myself a limit, I just spend what I want although there isn't that many games I think I want so I can't see myself going over £30.

I guess I'm very cheap, but I'm not willing to spend more than 5€ on a single game (unless there's a pricing error on a very recent release), and that would be only for AAA games. I may spend more on a bundle, but that's it.

I used to buy cheap indie games, but thanks to the multiple indie bundles now I refuse to buy a game unless it's been on a bundle that I didn't buy (i.e. I'll probably get 1000 Amps and Bonitacula if they're around 2 or 3 €).

So, what I really hope to buy is tons of DLC. The Chaous Unleashed pack from Space Marine, The Wrath of the Lamb, The Other Side of the Coin... If it's 75% off, I'll buy it.

With these rules, I've managed to spend less than 20€ in every sale (well, in 2010's Winter Sale I bought the Valve Complete Pack). I also want to buy everything with a big discount, but I have self-control guys!

DagsJT

I get paid on Friday so it could be a dangerous situation for me. I'm going to guess at me spending around £40-£50.

Wanted to spent some money on the steam sale, but I'll be going on holiday on Friday and I don't see it happening before then, so I guess nothing :(

mr. grape

I don't think I've ever bought anything over $10 on Steam, sale or not.. and that's counting anything that registers on Steam as well (such as purchases from gamersgate, amazon, etc.)

I'll probably spend $30-50.

Jzero

So is Skyrim's price going down anytime soon ?

I don't think I've ever bought anything over $10 on Steam, sale or not.. and that's counting anything that registers on Steam as well (such as purchases from gamersgate, amazon, etc.)

I'll probably spend $30-50.
The most expensive pc game i've ever bought is Minecraft Alpha, that's how cheap i am.

mclem

Corporate sympathizing seems endemic in the gaming community. I don't know what's wrong with us. The thought of a movie studio going under doesn't bring a tear to my eye.
The thought of the BBC going under would (to me), though.

I think it's just that games devs are associated very closely with their output. The same isn't particularly true of most movie studios, but I could see people getting similarly upset if a major cult studio like (say) Troma were to bite the dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom