• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

I'm pretty surprised at how useful Game Hubs have ended up being for me, wasn't really too interested when they were introduced but they are actually pretty nifty.
I still dislike how squished the discussion forum threads are. Prefer GAF-style, with the threads extending the entire width of my screen.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

It will definitely be discounted. The question is more, "By how much?"

That sounds really good.
I think it was on sale last month or so (can't remember how much). Very unfortunate I missed it, because I got to playing around with the demo and absolutely loved it. I've been checking steam for the past week every day hoping it was on sale. But this is really great news. I'm saving my money for it.

ShaneB

I still dislike how squished the discussion forum threads are. Prefer GAF-style, with the threads extending the entire width of my screen.

This seems like a Client wide issue :( Annoys the heck out of how the Friends section of Community seems suited for 4:3, leaving vast amounts of barren real estate :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That sounds really good.
I think it was on sale last month or so (can't remember how much). Very unfortunate I missed it, because I got to playing around with the demo and absolutely loved it. I've been checking steam for the past week every day hoping it was on sale. But this is really great news. I'm saving my money for it.

It was 66% off most recently but has been 75% off a few times throughout the year. I suspect a repeat of the latter rather than the former.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm almost ready to give in and buy Sleeping Dogs, but I should finish Max Payne 3 first. It's probably not gonna go any lower until Square drops it's base price.

Also, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is on sale at GreenManGaming again.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/shooter/chivalry-medieval-warfare/

$8.12 after the 50% discount plus the current promo code: WINTR-SRVEY-42012

DAMN YOU FOR MAKING ME GET THIS

AND NOW NO KEY YET?!?!?!

I want to redeem?!!!!

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
It was 66% off most recently but has been 75% off a few times throughout the year. I suspect a repeat of the latter rather than the former.

That's very good.
It's really strange. I had looked at it and was turned off by the trailer and screen shots. But once I had gotten my hands on it, I was pleasantly surprised. This deserves to get marketed really well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Red Orchestra seems to have a free weekend once every month.

I'm sure the game's seen a lot of impulse purchases, but as far as I can tell, the concurrent player count hasn't benefited.

Edit: Outside of the Free Weekend periods, that is.

I'm sure the game's seen a lot of impulse purchases, but as far as I can tell, the concurrent player count hasn't benefited.

Edit: Outside of the Free Weekend periods, that is.

I remember buying this game on release, playing it for a bit then stopping because there were a shit ton of issues. Seemed like they wanted to get it out before COD.

I'm almost ready to give in and buy Sleeping Dogs, but I should finish Max Payne 3 first. It's probably not gonna go any lower until Square drops it's base price.

Also, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is on sale at GreenManGaming again.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/shooter/chivalry-medieval-warfare/

$8.12 after the 50% discount plus the current promo code: WINTR-SRVEY-42012

Man, that's just over £5. Can't imagine it'll be much cheaper in the Winter Sale (... right?) :|

D3RANG3D

I did just that about 2 minutes ago. How long does it take to get a response?

I got an email about an hour later and it ways we aim to respond withing 2-4 business days...

ibsyqr4N51VkBV.jpg

I wonder if the game guides will work with their software section. I'd love a one stop spot for tutorials n such like for GameMaker n whatnot.

Also is it just me or whenever I press the Store button to go to the homepage in the steam client, it either takes forever to load or just decides to not work?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I got an email about an hour later and it ways we aim to respond withing 2-4 business days...

It'll be worth the wait, but 2-4 days? Yikes. I hope it doesn't really take that long. Stuff like that makes me scared to ever venture outside of Steam and Amazon for my Steamworks needs.

ShaneB

I've never had any issues with Greenmangaming. When they had Last Remnant for a couple bucks the site blew up. I sent a support ticket and got a response pretty quickly, like within an hour or so at the longest. Plus they gave me a few dollars in credit for the issue.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Crates can already be worth a lot.

Give me a table with the value of crates and i'll put mine for sale.

That is something the thing should do automatically: suggest a price based on the average of items of that type sold.

Too bad the crates are not listed by their series.

Wok

That is something the thing should do automatically: suggest a price based on the average of items of that type sold.

Actually, this is the system's fault for the high price paid by the buyer in this case. I am sure if you look through the 226 kilo-crates on the market, you can find a crate of any given serie priced 2 cents. There is no fair price in a system which does not smoothly provide information to the traders. But, given enough time, some people will be willing to look at all the crates and buy the mispriced ones and sell the others, and prices will correct with a smaller delay.

What have you done, Valve?

Regular crates are largely worthless, but you can fetch a decent amount from #30 or #40.

jediyoshi

This is only an issue for a few of the items like crates. Not sure what they have planned with modified items in the future, but listing just the starting price for items like keys is all you really need if they're all identical.

Wok

Just listed a crate for £89.99. Hoping for some idiot to buy it ironically.

This could happen. The problem is you will have to wait for a really long time.

Plus, the prices of crates and keys should be highly correlated, and so far, the volumes cannot compare, so the prices of crates should stay close to zero. We can only hope for someone too lazy to go through all the crates in order to find a specific serie and which happens to be the serie you have put on sale.

Crysis 2 is now cheaper than during the last sale. :\
(netherlands, was 10 euro, now 8,74 euro)

They are probably trying to create awareness for Crysis 3 at this point. So i would kind of expect the price to go below 8 during the holiday sale, or when Crysis 3 is about to be released.

Yes, I am totally on EA's payroll for creating free PR here. So sorry.

I wish :')

Kabouter

Crysis 2 is now cheaper than during the last sale. :\
(netherlands, was 10 euro, now 8,74 euro)

They are probably trying to create awareness for Crysis 3 at this point. So i would kind of expect the price to go below 8 during the holiday sale, or when Crysis 3 is about to be released.

Yes, I am totally on EA's payroll for creating free PR here. So sorry.

I wish :')

I don't think EA would pay people to effectively tell others to wait on buying one of their games until it drops in price again.

1-D_FTW

Game guides could be really cool if they make them accessible through the overlay, which I'm sure they will.

This. Sometimes I'll look on my tablet, but it's kind of hard to get good text guides anymore. I don't wanna watch some 20 minute vid of the level (that is tuff to search through on my tablet). So I'm excited about this.

Actually, this is the system's fault for the high price paid by the buyer in this case. I am sure if you look through the 226 kilo-crates on the market, you can find a crate of any given serie priced 2 cents. There is no fair price in a system which does not smoothly provide information to the traders. But, given enough time, some people will be willing to look at all the crates and buy the mispriced ones and sell the others, and prices will correct with a smaller delay.

What have you done, Valve?

I should start listing some of my shitty crates for like 12 dollars. Somebody will see it, think "why's it so expensive? Must be rare!", and sold!

EDIT: Just put all my crates on there. Cheapest starts at 6.xx and most expensive is 24.xx. No idea what any of them were worth. Nor do I care. But I find the whole process hilarious.

Bah, Crysis is the first game where I'm having a problem. For the life of me I can't get it display at 1080p 60hz on my HDTV, it only does 24hz. Googled a few solutions, but no luck so far.

Miker

Shit, GameFAQs on suicide watch.

They should have been on suicide watch since Wikia.

Gamefaqs was usurped by wikis and youtube a while ago.

Well, shit, I still go to GameFAQs whenever I get stuck somewhere. Maybe it's because I grew up with it, but I still love the ASCII art and ctrl+f-ing my way through a guide to jump to certain sections. A lot of the time, going to GameFAQs while playing a JRPG kind of reinforces the nostalgia of playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom