• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgone

Oh shit! Firaxis is making a new X-COM game! Now it all makes sense!

Truly excited about this, but I hope this doesn't get Xenonauts C&Ded out of existence :(

cicero

Oh shit! Firaxis is making a new X-COM game! Now it all makes sense!

Truly excited about this, but I hope this doesn't get Xenonauts C&Ded out of existence :(

How could it?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/04/16/xenonauts-the-x-com-anti-apocalypse/
Xenonauts is neither a sequel to X-Com, nor a remake of it. While it shares the same core mechanics that made the original so compelling, Xenonauts has been reinvented and re-imagined from the ground up to fit modern times. The result is a game with a fresh setting and story, a streamlined interface and updated game mechanics with countless new features.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I would be shocked to see either the new Age of Empires or the new Microsoft flight on Steam. I don't think MS is willing to work around/with Steam's DLC rules for those titles. They did for Fable III, but that's much more of a traditional title than a F2P thing.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Friend is having an issue with Dungeon Defenders where it defaults his control scheme to gamepad when he doesn't have a controller hooked up to his PC. He can't seem to figure out how to resolve it. Any ideas?

I thought the update for Steam fixed games installing setup files? I still get the Microsoft VC Redist package every time I launch SSFIV:AE

I thought the update for Steam fixed games installing setup files? I still get the Microsoft VC Redist package every time I launch SSFIV:AE

Had the same problem with Hamilton's Great Adventure. It has an "install" folder where all those installation files are.

Deleted the vcredist.exe and installscript.vdf (which is probably the culprit), now it stopped doing that.
Try to look in steamapps/common if Street Fighter has some similar files.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Hey so I've been playing Dungeons of Dredmor (fantastic!) and I seem to rememeber someone mentioning a way to get the overlay notifications to pop up. Am remembering correctly or am I just imagining that?

Hey so I've been playing Dungeons of Dredmor (fantastic!) and I seem to rememeber someone mentioning a way to get the overlay notifications to pop up. Am remembering correctly or am I just imagining that?

THOU ART A TROLL-WHORING SHEEP BUGGERER

Such a fantastic game. Make sure you get Realm of the Diggle Gods if you haven't already, the new skills are extremely awesome. Werediggles gonna Weredig.

Jomjom

Banned
So... since the winter sale ended have there been any daily sale games where coupons could be used? I really hope Steam doesn't avoid putting every game for which there is a coupon on sale from now until March.

Friend is having an issue with Dungeon Defenders where it defaults his control scheme to gamepad when he doesn't have a controller hooked up to his PC. He can't seem to figure out how to resolve it. Any ideas?
that game's menus are a nightmare. you have to exit the game and load a separate config program to change any keybindings and the whole process is vague and super finicky.

connect ps3 controller via usb to computer and use motioninjoy. been using ps3 controller on my pc for like a year now, no need to buy a 360 controller unless you have to have the button prompts match.

How does that work with QTEs ?

Or do you just remember the keyboard buttons to their corresponding DS3 buttons ?

vanty

So I have an AMD card, have been using the Steam AMD driver update thing since it was added, but now:

RUWhX.jpg

Restarted Steam a few times, but the option still won't turn up. Is this a normal temporary thing that can happen?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
How does that work with QTEs ?

Or do you just remember the keyboard buttons to their corresponding DS3 buttons ?

Typically, 360 button prompts are displayed when you're playing with a PS3 pad. It's not a problem for me since I'm familiar the button layouts of both pads, but I guess it could throw some people off.

I would be shocked to see either the new Age of Empires or the new Microsoft flight on Steam. I don't think MS is willing to work around/with Steam's DLC rules for those titles. They did for Fable III, but that's much more of a traditional title than a F2P thing.

Their loss. I would actually give the f2p AoE a shot if it was on Steam and the integration was as nice as Spiral Knights'.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Exactly what DLC rules would be restricting them?

The M.O.B

Wow... why is AoE3 complete so expensive?

Microsoft has been away from PC gaming for so long I'm not surprised. They are out of touch.

AOE is great but is like 5 years old...smh M$

They still have Fable 3 at $50......................Even Rage has already been cut permanently to $30. Smh again.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, I think 10 is the good threshold, but 20 is so expensive (ESPECIALLY when it's already 50% discount, lolwut)

Typically, 360 button prompts are displayed when you're playing with a PS3 pad. It's not a problem for me since I'm familiar the button layouts of both pads, but I guess it could throw some people off.

It shows 360 pad prompts, that's even better.

So I have an AMD card, have been using the Steam AMD driver update thing since it was added, but now:

RUWhX.jpg

Restarted Steam a few times, but the option still won't turn up. Is this a normal temporary thing that can happen?

You can still find it if you click on the AMD partner page on the right. It's not as quick as before but I switched to updating through the CCC lately.

Dambrosi

Banned

RUWhX.jpg

I hadn't noticed, but yeah, mine too. I guess they just decided to get rid of it. Hm.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I hadn't noticed, but yeah, mine too. I guess they just decided to get rid of it. Hm.

Probably didn't want to be responsible for pointing users toward drivers that might break their game performance.

1-D_FTW

FYI, when I went to Walmart the other day, I noticed there was a black 360 Wireless Controller For Windows for sale. Looks like Microsoft has the wireless controller + adapter bundle for sale again!

edit: Amazon has em in stock:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QRKWKQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$43. That's really damned cheap considering the adapter comes with it.

That's a good deal. But I'm pretty sure they never discontinued the bundle. It's the stand-alone adapter they discontinued.

Q.U.B.E launches today after a little delay.

I work with Indie Fund and have seen this team of 3 university grads turn their UDK scripting abilities into a really good game, with only a little help from a programmer to get steamworks integrated.

It's a really amazing accomplishment that goes to show how much the face of game development has changed.

Anywho, check out the game! http://qube-game.com/ and the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iABxhj0ExA0

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Oh hell yeah, I have been rocking a QUBE boner for a while since that last trailer. Totally gonna pick it up and roll through it after Rochard. Fuck triple-A titles.

MNC

The backup option is valid for me. :/

Edit: It's an AMD issue? Strange.

Nah, they're talking about the driver thing. It's supposed to be above the backup option. Nvidia card here and I still have it (though it's quite useless since it just redirects me to the Nvidia driver site)

MNC

Oooh. Xcom complete pack. Tempted to pick it up to see what all the Xcom fuss is all about but I'm afraid it aged badly, judging from the screenshots. And they're all different kinds of gameplay? Can someone fill me in?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The steam AMD driver update tool is useless anyways, it just installs overtop the existing ones and causes all kinds of silly issues.

ShaneB

Q.U.B.E launches today after a little delay.

I work with Indie Fund and have seen this team of 3 university grads turn their UDK scripting abilities into a really good game, with only a little help from a programmer to get steamworks integrated.

It's a really amazing accomplishment that goes to show how much the face of game development has changed.

Anywho, check out the game! http://qube-game.com/ and the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iABxhj0ExA0

Thanks for the reminder, I'm sure I remember reading about this before and being excited. Looks fantastic!

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Exactly what DLC rules would be restricting them?

If a game has DLC, it must be available for purchase from steam itself. It can still be purchasable elsewhere, valve doesn't care about that, but they have restrictions in place that do not allow games that will not release their dlc on steam in addition to whatever place its already being sold.

Its part of the reason behind the "bad blood" between valve and EA right now.

masterkajo

If a game has DLC, it must be available for purchase from steam itself. It can still be purchasable elsewhere, valve doesn't care about that, but they have restrictions in place that do not allow games that will not release their dlc on steam in addition to whatever place its already being sold.

So this is the reason why Dragon Age II is not available on steam? But Mass Effect 1/2 still is? Also this plus Origin probably means I won't get ME3 on steam then... :(

Caerith

Hm. Mass Effect 1/2 have DLC not available on Steam but the base games are still available. I guess they're not very consistent with how they enforce this rule?

Hm. Mass Effect 1/2 have DLC not available on Steam but the base games are still available. I guess they're not very consistent with how they enforce this rule?
Mass Effect 2 is from 2010. I think they started this rule from 2011 games and onwards then.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Daily Deal: Lead & Gold 50% off ($4.99/$14.98 for a 4-pack)

While I really enjoyed this game, I'd suggest waiting until the next sale. The game has been significantly cheaper before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom