• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone should inform them that lost sales/revenue from using GFWL would easily cover the additional development time required to implement a decent system.

Apparently they either think that they wouldn't or they have some deal with Microsoft. Why anybody would ever keep supporting this shitheap of a service is beyond me.

Hellix

I held off on the console version of SFxT after all the hoopla surrounding it. Seeing it on Steam is making it hard to avoid now. Will all the "DLC" characters make it to PC?

wutwutwut

I'm not saying it won't use GFWL, but I find it very strange that I was able to buy it. Maybe they'll add the GFWL description (and region blocking) before release.
Create another GFWL account/gamertag with the country set to the US/some other GFWL-supported country. That'll bypass the asinine region-locking.

Dizzy-4U

Create another GFWL account/gamertag with the country set to the US/some other GFWL-supported country. That'll bypass the asinine region-locking.
I have no issues playing GFWL games online since it's a US account. The problem is trying to buy them on Steam because Steam checks my ISP and hides any GFWL title so I can't buy it.

The only way around this (besides proxys) is by gifting. That's basically how I got all the GFWL games I wanted. Well, all except SFxTK that I was able to buy for some reason.

I held off on the console version of SFxT after all the hoopla surrounding it. Seeing it on Steam is making it hard to avoid now. Will all the "DLC" characters make it to PC?

If SF4 is any indication, then yes. Just don't expect the game to receive updates in a timely manner.

It took Capcom an extra 3 months to update the PC version of AE to AE 2012 and currently it's one version behind.

deleted

Steam won't connect for me. A simple reboot doesn't work. Since the steamworks site is up, I guess it's only down for me.
Which file is it again that I have to delete?

Just great: After searching the steam forums:
There is a known Steam login issue affecting some users in Germany. We are actively working on this issue and will post more information as soon as possible.

I'd rather buy direct from Amanita but it looks like they're giving away an iPad code instead of steam

That's not a bad deal. I've actually got it pre-ordered on GOG but since it's so cheap I was going to buy it on Steam as well for the achievements and to throw them some extra support. If it ends up being really good I'll probably get the iOS version during a sale, haha.

Looking forward to Botanicula but I paid almost 40€ for the collector's edition of Machinarium back in 2009 which was a tad bit too much :lol still enjoyed it though!

NIN90

kbw3s8h0kfs.png

WTF is this shit. I deleted both .blob files but it still doesn't work.
I did some googling and apparently there is no bulletproof way to fix this crap, just some crappy stuff like "run as administrator" that might our might not work.

DRM FTW

deleted

kbw3s8h0kfs.png

WTF is this shit. I deleted both .blob files but it still doesn't work.
I did some googling and apparently there is no bulletproof way to fix this crap, just some crappy stuff like "run as administrator" that might our might not work.

DRM FTW

Are you from Germany? I have the same problem atm and it seems like there are quite a few germans that are affected by it. Did it start yesterday evening?

Got DOTA2 added to my account now, but I guess that´s fairly common now. Will probably install it to try it, but I have no interest in learning the game enough to be able to play with people without them crying their eyes out over my lack of dota-skills. :)

They better get Steam back up and running for us Germans. We still played on our PC's, when nobody else did... ;)

Plus, I want to play more Wizorb, which is a cute little game to play while listening to Idle Thumbs progress casts.

Jubbly

This is the one problem with Steam - if it can't connect to the servers in any way you can't enable Offline mode and are locked out of your games until service is restored.

Milamber

This is the one problem with Steam - if it can't connect to the servers in any way you can't enable Offline mode and are locked out of your games until service is restored.
Never had that problem, if I can't connect to store I go to offline mode and play my games fine.

Blizzard

Banned
In my experience you don't even need offline mode. The friends list might go down, and your TF2 backpack might not work, but otherwise you can just happily launch Steam games even when the friends list and community tabs are down.

To test it yourself, launch Steam in online mode, make sure you can see your friends etc., then pull the Ethernet cable out of the back of your PC. Then try launching a game.

HoosTrax

1) Control Panel -> Network -> [disable network interfaces]
2) Start Steam.

(Don't tell me this doesn't work -- I just tried it less than a minute ago.)

Jubbly

Never had that problem, if I can't connect to store I go to offline mode and play my games fine.

In my experience you don't even need offline mode. The friends list might go down, and your TF2 backpack might not work, but otherwise you can just happily launch Steam games even when the friends list and community tabs are down.

To test it yourself, launch Steam in online mode, make sure you can see your friends etc., then pull the Ethernet cable out of the back of your PC. Then try launching a game.

2) Start Steam.

I'm having the same problem as the other Germans - you get told Steam cannot connect and then it shuts down.

kbw3s8h0kfs.png

I should not have to disconnect my entire network just to play a game :)

Stitch

Gold Member
2) Start Steam.

It doesn't work. It usually works just fine but for some reason it doesn't work right now. That's why so many german players are really angry right now :D

amrod

Daily Deal - Runespell: Overture, 75% off!
Weekend Deal - Mount Blade franchise, 75% off!
Weekend Deal - Jagged Alliance: Back in Action, 40% off!

Mount & Blade: Warband - Napoleonic Wars is not on sale though... still 9.99

Odd since Buy Mount & Blade Collection includes Napoleonic wars and its only $8.75

Sober

Daily Deal - Runespell: Overture, 75% off!
Weekend Deal - Mount Blade franchise, 75% off!
Weekend Deal - Jagged Alliance: Back in Action, 40% off!

Odd since Buy Mount & Blade Collection includes Napoleonic wars and its only $8.75
Yeah I was about to mention that; the bundle costs less than the newer DLC and is bundled with it?

HoosTrax

Curiously, if you buy the complete bundle (which includes Napoleonic Wars), it's $8.75. It seems like a price mistake, in which case, I'm tempted to get in on it now before they fix it.

Ruh roh...Steam checkout is throwning an https security certificate warning in Chrome.

Blizzard

Banned
Perhaps Gabe has decided Half-life 3 is a non-German exclusive -- I'm sorry, guys, it's such a great game, you can't imagine what you're missing out on. :p

panda21

the description for deep black is pretty great

The Deep Black : Reloaded is a video game in the “Action” genre (third person shooter). Deep Black features extensive gameplay (40 single player missions in 4 different environments) that offers a mix of terrestrial and underwater battles, which so far has no direct analogues in this genre in the global video games market.

i kind of want to try it

Tempted to buy Napoleonic Wars for M&B, but has some questions before purchase:

1. Does it contain any news for the single player campaign? I seriously can´t stand the worthless missions in the M&B any more.
2. Have they made any improvements to the UI or does that still look awful?
3. Does it create an own entry in the Steam library, or do you start it through the old M&B Warband entry?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I don't understand the DLC options for Mount and Blade.

I only have Warband. I was told that Warband is pretty much Mount and Blade, but with multiplayer.

I don't understand Fire & Sword. Is it another game? Does it replace Warband all together? Is it an extra menu option or a new game using the same engine?

What about Napoleon wars? Same deal?
I have, like, a 700 in-game days single player save on Warband and I don't want to start over (Even though it probably would be better if I did).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom