• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

Looks like an F1 team manager game has been added...

I wish someone would make one of those types of games for a sport I actually care about, i.e. not soccer, rugby, cricket, Formula 1 racing, or cycling.

I demand an NHL team manager! Hell, I'd even settle for one based on minor league hockey like ECHL.
If you don't mind older games, Sports Interactive (devs of Football Manager) used to make NHL Eastside Hockey Manager. The last version was in 2007, but I'm pretty sure there are data updates to update the teams to the latest season.

I don't have the game so can't check, but this could be one such update.

HoosTrax

If you don't mind older games, Sports Interactive (devs of Football Manager) used to make NHL Eastside Hockey Manager. The last version was in 2007, but I'm pretty sure there are data updates to update the teams to the latest season.

I don't have the game so can't check, but this could be one such update.
Well this is disappointing if true:
On January 30, 2007 it was announced that NHL Eastside Hockey Manager 2007 would be the final version of the game for the foreseeable future, with Sports Interactive blaming piracy for the decision, and a lack of advertising, which most feel is the true reason for the poor sales figures.
Maybe they should try again with Steamworks?

I'll check out the '07 edition, thanks.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
It's a point-and-click going for the Beneath a Steel Sky look. Unfortunately it has horrible voice acting so I haven't been able to play it for more than 30 minutes.

I thought I'd be the only one :(

louiedog

It's a point-and-click going for the Beneath a Steel Sky look. Unfortunately it has horrible voice acting so I haven't been able to play it for more than 30 minutes.

Mute the dialog? In my day we didn't have talkie adventure games. We had to read and we liked it!

PaulLFC

I hope MW3 isn't the only weekend 'deal' at that price. It doesn't actually say weekend deal on the banner though, so hopefully there will be another deal later.

Corto

If any US gaffer wants to host another Torchlight 2 4 pack count me in for one slot. I'll insta paypal. I would host one but euro price is a bit higher considering the conversion dollars to euros.

Deques

If any US gaffer wants to host another Torchlight 2 4 pack count me in for one slot. I'll insta paypal. I would host one but euro price is a bit higher considering the conversion dollars to euros.

im in for a four pack too, i instant send money through paypal

MNC

I hope MW3 isn't the only weekend 'deal' at that price. It doesn't actually say weekend deal on the banner though, so hopefully there will be another deal later.

It should be the weekend deal; got the update in my feeds about the free weekend and the discount being a weekend deal.

Blizzard

Banned
I disabled voices instantly and wound up enjoying the game. So do that.
Thanks for the tip. I think Gemini Rue always looked cool but I never got around to trying it, so I'm glad there's a way to disable voices if they're really terrible (I don't think I mind cheesy voice acting, just annoying voice acting).

HoosTrax

Btw, I did buy the "Ben There Dan That" bundle from yesterday's deal. Only had time to finish the first game, but I enjoyed it. Although I think a lot of the British humor was lost on me.

What are some similar games (humorous point-and-clicks)? The Sam & Max series from Telltale?

louiedog

Btw, I did buy the "Ben There Dan That" bundle from yesterday's deal. Only had time to finish the first game, but I enjoyed it. Although I think a lot of the British humor was lost on me.

What are some similar games (humorous point-and-clicks)? The Sam & Max series from Telltale?

The Monkey Island Special Editions are a great and available on Steam. I'm not sure if it's available for purchase digitally anywhere, but Day of the Tentacle might be the funniest.

MNC

Very interesting, and thanks for the heads up. This appeals to my interests.

I didn't know they announced the contents of that bundle because no one made a thread about it, instead preferring to stick the news in that mega-thread. ;)

Check the mega thread more often! :p

How long did it take to finish?

HoosTrax

Check the mega thread more often! :p

How long did it take to finish?
I think roughly three hours at most for "Ben There, Dan That". Reason I don't have the exact number is that I launched it through the settings configuration application instead of directly through Steam, so it seems to have not counted the playtime.

DagsJT

That's why the mega thread sucks, "new threads for new news" should apply to indie bundles too. Each bundle should have its own thread so people actually get to know about them.

Too easy to lose track of individual threads though. This site moves so quickly that a thread can disappear onto the third page within 10 mins of being created.

zulux21

That's why the mega thread sucks, "new threads for new news" should apply to indie bundles too. Each bundle should have its own thread so people actually get to know about them.

to be fair bundle in a box still isn't known for sure what is in it, the list is just from the accidental launch they had, I just wish I had known it was an accidental launch when i looked at it as i would have taken a screen shot. Anyways if someone wants to make a thread about it the Games in the bundle: Gemini Rue, Time Gentlemen, Please!, Ben There, Dan That!, 1983: A World's Fair Mystery, Lands of Dream (both Abomination and myself saw these) they looked like they all had steam keys though I couldn't locate the last two on steam.

beyond that there were some other things going on during the mini launch.
they had some beat the average games that didn't seem to have steam keys.... one I don't remember the other was metal something. The average was at $9.01 with three buys, and the min price was $4.01 with if they hit 1k sales the min price would drop. I think there were also unlock bonuses related to Gemini Rue like unlocking the soundtrack.

daxy

Got my Torchlight II preorder! There are some folks on the Steam forums looking to get in on that 4-pack too, if anyone's still trying to find a group.
I'm glad for Runic that it's the top seller on Steam already.

zulux21

that might be it, I remember it looking somewhat cartoony like that but I didn't take a good look at the time since there was no way I was paying $9 plus to unlock extra games for a bundle I already owned most of. We will know for sure when the thing fully launches.

edit: reading their facebook page they make it sound like it could be at least a few days before the bundle launches, so I suppose things could change before then.

I guess it was already posted and I didn't see it here, but fuck it: The Portal 2 level editor is coming May 8th

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the free Portal 2 DLC titled "Perpetual Testing Initiative" will be available for the PC and Mac on May 8th.

The "Perpetual Testing Initiative" allows players to easily create, share, and play Portal 2 puzzles. The Initiative comes with a simplified puzzle maker that allows that creation of mind-bending puzzles without ever leaving the game.

The puzzle maker can directly publish maps to the Steam Workshop where users can browse, vote on, and select to play them. Selected puzzles will automatically be downloaded and installed inside Portal 2.

Portal 2 holds a Metacritic score of 95% and has been awarded numerous Game of Year awards. It features expansive single and cooperative multiplayer game modes.

For more information on Portal 2 and its downloadable content, please visit http://www.thinkwithportals.com.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/7842/

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Too easy to lose track of individual threads though. This site moves so quickly that a thread can disappear onto the third page within 10 mins of being created.

That's why you have both. Ideally the OP of the megathread will post links to the individual news threads as they come up.

The worst part of megathreads, particularly the busy ones, is that even if you check them often, you always end up wasting a ton of time sifting through pages of discussion trying to find the post with the announcement.

Anyone else loving Shoot Many Robots? Doesn't seem very hyped, some friend gifted it to me and I've been addicted as hell.

Game is hilarious too, one of the 'hats' you can equip is a robot that humps your characters head repeatedly, good stuff. haha

As someone else mentioned, check out both the Monkey Island games on Steam. Secret and LeChcuck's Revenge. Tales is good, too, but you might want to read up on the third and fourth games if you play. All three Sam & Max seasons are great as well. Depending on what kind of humor you're into, the Hector games might be appealing. But they're very crude humor.

I think the Puzzle Agent games are funny but they're not the typical point-and-click style.

dLMN8R

I've finished all of Telltale's Sam & Max games and absolutely love the series. It had some weak moments during the 1st season, but other than that it's mostly golden. Lots of great persistent storylines, awesome call-backs to earlier moments, some genuinely hilarious jokes and visual gags, and some well-designed puzzles to all of it too.

Definitely stick with BTDT/TGP. Ben There, Dan That is merely a tiny prequel, a proof of concept. It's actually available for free on their site, with Time Gentlemen, Please! being the only for-pay game they offer.

TGP is hugely improved, and dramatically increased in scope. Very well-written, awesome, and totally worth the few hours it'll take you to finish :-D

ArjanN

Anyone else loving Shoot Many Robots? Doesn't seem very hyped, some friend gifted it to me and I've been addicted as hell.

Game is hilarious too, one of the 'hats' you can equip is a robot that humps your characters head repeatedly, good stuff. haha

That's the fruit fucker from Penny Arcade.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
As someone else mentioned, check out both the Monkey Island games on Steam. Secret and LeChcuck's Revenge. Tales is good, too, but you might want to read up on the third and fourth games if you play. All three Sam & Max seasons are great as well. Depending on what kind of humor you're into, the Hector games might be appealing. But they're very crude humor.

I think the Puzzle Agent games are funny but they're not the typical point-and-click style.

LeChuck's Revenge is the best adventure game I've ever played. Shit, one of THE best games, regardless of genre. I thought the art in the first remake was good, but they really stepped it up with the second one. It's such a beautiful and charming game, if it doesn't put a smile on your face then you are a deeply flawed human being. I'm sure that the vast majority of us have played it by now, but the few who haven't should get on it ASAP.

2c9c893d067748b8eb3d7bfb4a4065275252a253.jpg

9d7bd685e48b284904445402679640f94700e51b.jpg

LeChuck's Revenge is probably the best adventure game I've ever played. I thought the art in the first remake was good, but they really stepped it up with the second one. It's such a beautiful and charming game, if it doesn't put a smile on your face then you are a deeply flawed human being. I'm sure that 99% of us have played it by now, though.

Yeah, I love the way the remakes look and don't get the hate over the new style that some people have. Even playing them as they originally looked I always saw them as comical and the new graphics really emphasise those aspects.

Tomodachi

Yeah, I love the way the remakes look and don't get the hate over the new style that some people have. Even playing them as they originally looked I always saw them as comical and the new graphics really emphasise those aspects.
The second remake is perfect, totally captures the original spirit. The first one is somewhat ugly, character-wise. And some backgrounds are really low quality, I remember the part in the forest where you can see the pixels from the original backgrounds, which they clearly used as blueprints for the new ones. Gross.
Aside from the graphical aspect, I really enjoyed the way they updated controls and the new hint system in the second chapter. That game is really difficult for today's standards, I remember playing it for months back in the days before I could finish it.

The second remake is perfect, totally captures the original spirit. The first one is somewhat ugly, character-wise. And some backgrounds are really low quality, I remember the part in the forest where you can see the pixels from the original backgrounds, which they clearly used as blueprints for the new ones. Gross.
Aside from the graphical aspect, I really enjoyed the way they updated controls and the new hint system in the second chapter. That game is really difficult for today's standards, I remember playing it for months back in the days before I could finish it.

They did drop the ball there, I agree.

LeChuck's Revenge is the best adventure game I've ever played. Shit, one of THE best games, regardless of genre. I thought the art in the first remake was good, but they really stepped it up with the second one. It's such a beautiful and charming game, if it doesn't put a smile on your face then you are a deeply flawed human being. I'm sure that the vast majority of us have played it by now, but the few who haven't should get on it ASAP.

Got the pack from C_H_T on my birthday. I was actually going to start the first one this weekend, and now seeing your endorsement I might have to start it tonight instead so I can get to the second sooner. Also Snuggler you should change your review of the game on steam to include that statement.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Man, you guys talking about adventure games... I have 19 adventure games plus the entire sam & max series... I should get started on those...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom