• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

liezryou

Soo bros i totally have this copy of kentucky route zero that i impulse bought on sale but i decided that i wanna wait until all the episodes come out. Anyone that missed the sale want it ( for same as sale price ).

cicero

How do you have an issue with him? He has only been a positive influence on the community so far.

EDIT: Well... I started reading from where I left off and responded to Grief without looking at the rest of the thread, so I missed the official comment about banning if someone sniped at need4speed. I apologize, I really didn't see it until just now.

No one. Why is that a problem?
I don't know, it feels like it should be but maybe it isn't.

My advice is, don't worry about it.

If you are thoroughly enjoying a game, then continue to play that game without guilt.

Don't turn your backlog into a chore, that is when you will start to hate it. I would stop buying games if your backlog is getting too large though, ask yourself if you truly need a game before purchasing it. Or if it might be better left for later down the line.

It's never a chore I enjoy playing all of the games, I just feel guilty when I lose a lot of time on one that doesn't really have a completed state. Total war games are really bad for this too.

Guys. i need some help .

what are the best point and click adventure games available on steam ?

I already have the broken sword collection .

I assume you've already played the monkey island series?

I like deponia and chaos on deponia the animation is great, the humor is enjoyable, if a little simple at times, and the puzzles are all pretty well contextualized.

A lot of the people like the wadjet eye games but I've never played those.

The pendulo pack contains a bunch of games and goes on sale during every sale but I find the quality of their games to be very hit and miss. Their animation system is also really awkward.

Other than that there's the classics Syberia, Still Life etc, but the support for widescreen resolutions / modern computers can be hit and miss.

Also I vaguely remember a neogaf adventure games thread from when I was a lurker, I'll google it for you.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506077 seems like a great spot to start.

Sajjaja

Guys. i need some help .

Well just my luck. I just finished Gemini Rue yesterday and I absolutely enjoyed it. So much so that I took the time to write a recommendation for it.

A noire sci-fi thriller point-n-click which asks the question; what makes us who we are? Our memories? Our environment? Our friends?

Assassin turned cop, Azriel Odin, seeks to find out what happened to his brother in New Pittsburgh after the Gemini War.

Delta-Six wakes up in a mysterious facility alongside other patients. Having no recollection of his past or his identity, he must find out why he is in this facility and how he can escape.

The player can take control of both characters at anytime (except for the beginning) until he is finished that "chapter," if you will, only to switch back to the other character to complete their "chapter."

The puzzles can be difficult, but never tedious. A few may be frustrating or rely on small items within the environment, but still very doable if you pay attention to detail.

This roughly 8-9 hour game starts slow, but when it picks up, it picks up hard and fast. A definite must play for anyone seeking a great story and/or a noire/sci fi game. 9/10

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So alone :(

I haven't finished SS1 yet, so I would have nothing worthwhile to say.

I will probably form a SS1/SS2 GAF play soon like we did with Castle Crashers over the Steam sale. With a Stream as well so people can watch.

I think you can have 16 player co-op, so the antics could get pretty crazy.
Count me in! (if you want, of course)

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/27/4563350/fez-2-canceled-phil-fish-confirms

Probably already posted.

Fez creator Phil Fish has confirmed the cancellation with us via email, saying "Yep. I'm done." No details have been given as to why the game is canceled.

Shortly before the announcement, an argument between Fish and writer Marcus Beer broke out on Twitter in response to Beer's comments during a recent episode of GameTrailer's Invisible Walls. The back and forth ended with Fish tweeting, "I'm done. Fez 2 is canceled. Goodbye." The announcement went up on Polytron soon after; Fish's account is also now private.

Phil being Phil

cicero

Guys. i need some help .

Here are a few to get you started. To be quite honest though, they are all at full price right now, I would stick them on your wishlist and check back for Weekly sales and then big Holiday sales until you find them discounted at 50% or more. Preferably 75% off.

LucasArts Adventure Pack
lMzm4Xe.jpg

Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis™
Indiana Jones® and the Last Crusade™
LOOM™
The Dig®

Monkey Island: Special Edition Bundle
Nvrw7W7.jpg

Monkey Island™ 2 Special Edition: LeChuck’s Revenge™
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

The Longest Journey + Dreamfall
dzaX445.jpg

The Longest Journey
Dreamfall

Amanita Collection
vRqWneI.jpg

Botanicula
Machinarium
Machinarium Soundtrack
Samorost2

The Book of Unwritten Tales
gE5wqVN.jpg

The Book of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles
wqvNdcs.jpg

Gemini Rue
5hdtEbl.jpg

Primordia
bQKtKWO.jpg

Kentucky Route Zero
QpMRgDb.jpg

Syberia Bundle
aveeCo5.jpg

Syberia
Syberia II

I haven't completed many adventure games but I would give a +1 to the Longest Journey series, and Gemini Rue. Both had worlds I genuinely wanted to explore, though the first Longest Journey might a little dated. The Blackwell series is also pretty neat, but I didn't like it as much.

I'll probably hit up Primordia myself soon, it looks like my type of setting.

denx

So I go to bed and wake up with 6 dollars extra in my Steam wallet because of card sales. Thank you Gabe!

On the other hand, I woke up too late and missed the Puppygames bundle lol

Also goddamit some people annoy me. We're keeping the price of the General Gaius foil card steady at above 4.50 dollars, then someone comes and undercuts the price BY A FULL DOLLAR. WHAT THE HELL

fantomena

Okay, just started playing XCOM. Enemy Unknown. I have only 1 person left after the tutorial mission, but I have one question. How do I know what's story missions and side-missions?

Grief.exe

Okay, just started playing XCOM. Enemy Unknown. I have only 1 person left after the tutorial mission, but I have one question. How do I know what's story missions and side-missions?

It will become pretty obvious which ones are which.

Just play, I only ended up with one guy after the tutorial mission as well.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm digging Star Trek so far. If it holds the level of quality from the first to level for the rest of the game, I'll be pleased with my purchase at 7.50$.

Forget it. I shouldnt have to even try this crap just to play Portal 2 with my gf. Man I've been waiting since launch to finally have a chance to play co-op with her and skipped many chances to play with other people.

Really disappointed in Valve right now. This isnt something they didnt think about before the game came out. When they built the offline co-op there is no doubt that they considered what control option people would have access to. Everyone would have a mouse and keyboard. Maybe 50% would have m&kb and a controller. I would guess that less than 10% of PC gamers have 2 xbox 360 controllers, yet that is the solution they went with. I've never said it before, but fuck you Valve.

The_Monk

To the fellow GAFfer who asked about Point & Click games, there's a great thread about the 2013 P&C game out there.

Also, if you are considering getting more of those games I would say to wait for the Halloween sale since it's very common for P&C games with horror elements getting discount during that period.

Meanwhile, 4 Hours into The Night of the Rabbit and the art style is simply amazing, I get stuck every now and then but I end up finding a solution or... another item for my backpack.

Blizzard

Banned
Side note on vjoy, apparently it causes problems in Shadowrun Returns by causing the map to keep scrolling all the time or something like that. I'm not sure if it affects other games. I think you can just temporarily disable vjoy in device manager when you want to play though.

tylerf

Nice. The Old Gods got the sale price now after it didn't in the summer sale. Saving some wallet money was the right call.

Sajjaja

I haven't completed many adventure games but I would give a +1 to the Longest Journey series, and Gemini Rue. Both had worlds I genuinely wanted to explore, though the first Longest Journey might a little dated. The Blackwell series is also pretty neat, but I didn't like it as much.

I'll probably hit up Primordia myself soon, it looks like my type of setting.

Have you played Dreamfall: the longest journey? I have it on disk but I have never played it.

Ledsen

Guys. i need some help .

I'm gonna go out on a thin, thin limb and say that Book of Unwritten Tales is the best point-and-click on Steam.

Nice. The Old Gods got the sale price now after it didn't in the summer sale. Saving some wallet money was the right call.

*placebrofisthere.gif*

Just got it myself after noticing this.

cicero

If they like money.

The new one is Vita exclusive I believe. I'm not too involved in news on that series though.
http://www.rpgsite.net/news/2351-ys-seven-arriving-on-pcs-in-the-west
According to a web site posting that was reported on the XSEED forums by forum member Pal, Joyoland has announced that they will be bringing the PC version of Ys Seven that they handled in China over to Europe and North America. The company recently ported Zero no Kiseki to the Chinese PC market.

It appears that the company is attempting to broaden their market and finally break through to the Western market after having helped Nihon Falcom bring their more recent Ys and Legend of Heroes games to PC. According to Tom from XSEED Games, they have that they are appearing to use their company's own English script for the game, but due to the fact that Falcom owns the rights to the translation so there's no foul play here.

Non-official and a little garbled, but it looks like Ys Seven is possibly in the works for a US release.

Thorgal

Thanks for all the answers guys .

will first go through the broken sword series then ill look for the rest of these suggestions .

Also .Grief do you know or heard rumors of when either Metal gear rising and deadly premonition show up on steam ?

snack

I made myself a new build and now Steam loads up in offline mode whenever I boot up Windows. Seems like Steam is starting before my internet starts?

Here are a few to get you started. To be quite honest though, they are all at full price right now, I would stick them on your wishlist and check back for Weekly sales and then big Holiday sales until you find them discounted at 50% or more. Preferably 75% off.

The Longest Journey + Dreamfall
dzaX445.jpg

The Longest Journey
Dreamfall

Definitely and heartily second The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. TLJ is one of my favorite games of all time after discovering it a couple of years ago. Played it all in just two long sittings I was that hooked. Some of the puzzles are a bit bullshit, but the world and characters are what make it great. Maybe it's just me, but I thought they did a hell of a job with April Ryan. It seems rare to have a female protagonist, much less one that is shown as being an intelligent and well-rounded person rather than a simple sex symbol. I threw down a stupid amount of money on the Kickstarter for Dreamfall Chapters, I like the series that much. If you like point and clicks, give it a try sometime.

Epic Crowmance for life.

Prophane33

Sweet! Picked up The Old Gods expansion for Crusader Kings II for 75% off, no idea if that was purposeful or not. Then again, if it's up this late it's most likely on purpose.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
For some reason Tomb Raider Chronicles doesn't feel like it did when I played it on my PS1 back then. Lara is hard to control, steers like a truck (albeit one with a very generous rack), and when I changed the controls it didn't remove the original bindings, so I had some keys performing 2 functions at the same time.

I don't think it aged well, sadly.

That is a solid list of point-and-click adventure games! Get every single one on that list! I would add Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcery EP too.

As for which first, I would go with Monkey Island, Syberia and the LucasArts collection first.

adaen

Sweet! Picked up The Old Gods expansion for Crusader Kings II for 75% off, no idea if that was purposeful or not. Then again, if it's up this late it's most likely on purpose.

Picked it up too, I was waiting for a decent discount since release and was really happy to see it at 75%.

Seems like The Republic's first discount was at 75% too, so definitely no mistake.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Guys. i need some help .

That's a great start!
I'd recommend the Monkey Island games, especially the SE's of The Secret Of and LeChuck's Revenge. And The Curse Of, if it was available on Steam :(

Another one of my favorites are the Sam & Max games. Especially Season 1. It's one of those games whom enkindled my love for the genre and videogames in general.
Syberia is delightfull, slowpaced (something I personally enjoy) but the atmosphere is incredible.
Machinarium pretty great, but I myself found it to be one of the hardest P&C Adventures i've ever had the joy of playing.

Anyhow, everything LucasArts from before 2000's great. Ever see one for a nice price; don't doubt, buy it! :p

Lot's of great adventure's on Steam. Deponia, The Longest Journey, Fate Of Atlantis, The Dig, Myst... Great stuff!

kami_sama

Guys. i need some help .

Everything by Wadjet Eye, save from Puzzle Bots. http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Wadjet Eye Games&snr=1_5_9__408
The walking Dead http://store.steampowered.com/app/207610/
The Lucas Arts Adventure Pack http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2102/?snr=1_7_15__13
Monkey Island http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_6_4__12&term=monkey+island

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Some people asked about Deus Rx Invisible War and were generally told "not as good as Deus Ex but still a swell game"

I disagree; here was my review:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=406143

That's surprising, considering everyone I know who played it absolutely loathes it. Nice explanation on why.

Picked it up too, I was waiting for a decent discount since release and was really happy to see it at 75%.

Seems like The Republic's first discount was at 75% too, so definitely no mistake.

Yeah, we're talking about Paradox here so wait for the 75%; it never takes long.

I just tested out my PC and Steam Big Picture Mode over my HDTV in preparation for the move to my new house. It's awesome. Now all I gotta do is get the keys to the new place (Tuesday) so I make some measurements and order an appropriate sized HDMI cable to have Amazon Primed to me before we move in (Saturday).

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Endless Space lacks that visual touch. I don't mean the art style or graphics, I'm talking about the satisfaction of seeing something being built.

zkylon

zkylewd
Apparently, Bethesda wanted to purchase Human Head (the previous developers) and make them a owned subsidiary instead of independent contractors. So they tried to push them to financial bankruptcy by continuously moving the game development deadlines; thereby forcing HH into a buyout to survive. Thankfully, it didn't work out in Bethesda's favor. It's unknown what the licensing agreement was, but at this point it's apparently prudent for Bethesda to start over than re-purpose what was already completed. Especially since, even if Bethesda has the rights to the completed work, HH isn't inclined to document the ins and outs of their game for Bethesda.
wow that's pretty messed up if true

wouldn't surprise me after the shit deal they gave obs for new vegas

Have you played Dreamfall: the longest journey? I have it on disk but I have never played it.

Yeah I finished Dreamfall earlier this year and I liked it more then the original. You should check it out.

Concerning Invisible War, I would compare it to Dragon Age 2. The original games were great while their sequels were poor. They are worth a look if you were huge fans of the originals and they do have a few redeeming qualities. Ultimately if you don't expect much from them they could be enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom