• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
ModBot's ignoring me, hmmpf.
I really want to go to bed, so hurry up, machine! :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ModBot's ignoring me, hmmpf.
I really want to go to bed, so hurry up, machine! :p

Yes, I believe there's an issue with him right now. His moderation side is working but not his giveaway side. Unfortunately since I'm away from home I'm not able to troubleshoot.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Yes, I believe there's an issue with him right now. His moderation side is working but not his giveaway side. Unfortunately since I'm away from home I'm not able to troubleshoot.
ModBot's gone rogue!
In that case, i'll patiently wait (and go to sleep) :)

Do I need to have played the original or is it a good stand alone title in the series?

Well, Dreamfall has a whole new protagonist so it's kind of stand alone in the beginning but later on when the main story kicks in you might get lost with everything that happened in the previous game. I would say finish the first game.

Also a tip, don't forget to save before every new puzzle. If i remember correctly some puzzles are really obtuse and don't allow you to default back to the beginning so if you can't figure it out and wanna consult a walkthrough it'll be hard going back.

But that's up to you. I'm terrible at some puzzles and when I get stuck I just resort to looking it up to ease my frustration/increase my enjoyment.

Tenrius

The whole cards business really made a mess out of my playtime stats. I have 129 hours logged in past two weeks and only 14 of those are my actual playtime (8 of those hours put into Shadowrun Returns, been mostly playing console games lately).

How many missions are there in XCOM? Im on Operation Twisted Gaze.

What do you mean? The missions are mostly generated randomly, their names too. There's a series of missions compulsory for completion, which are unlocked by specific research and such, but if you don't do them, the game can go on forever.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I just tested out my PC and Steam Big Picture Mode over my HDTV in preparation for the move to my new house. It's awesome. Now all I gotta do is get the keys to the new place (Tuesday) so I make some measurements and order an appropriate sized HDMI cable to have Amazon Primed to me before we move in (Saturday).
Yep, hooking it up to an HDTV is totally worth the effort, I love how seamless the setup is these days. Congrats on the new place!

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
wow that's pretty messed up if true

wouldn't surprise me after the shit deal they gave obs for new vegas

Yeah. There some rumors that they used similar tactics to acquire Arkane and possibly id software. The only developer that was probably offered a upfront buyout would be MachineGames; since they were a new studio (of industry veterans from Starbreeze)

-----------------------------

I'm probably one of the biggest Obsidian fans on GAF. But the issue with bonus payouts is less underhanded machinations and more a example of how its hard for even well intentioned Publishers to objectively set the qualifications for bonuses.

In the end metacritic aggregate scores isn't the answer as Fallout: New Vegas shows. But the only other objective standard is number of units sold ( or one of its' derivatives). A metric that has its' own flaws. Outside of that the two involved parties, publisher and developer, have inherent conflicting interests so an agreement is unlikely without much back and fourth.

I think both parties received a raw deal in the end. With Obsidian coming up with a bit less mind you.

Sajjaja

Well, Dreamfall has a whole new protagonist so it's kind of stand alone in the beginning but later on when the main story kicks in you might get lost with everything that happened in the previous game. I would say finish the first game.

Also a tip, don't forget to save before every new puzzle. If i remember correctly some puzzles are really obtuse and don't allow you to default back to the beginning so if you can't figure it out and wanna consult a walkthrough it'll be hard going back.

But that's up to you. I'm terrible at some puzzles and when I get stuck I just resort to looking it up to ease my frustration/increase my enjoyment.

No, but I recomend you do. Dreamfall lives a lot on the nostalgia factor, revisiting old places and meeting old friends.

Alright. Thanks guys! I'll pick up the first one next sale.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
so my cousin was browsing netflix and something caught my eye. i asked her to roll back for a second and this was it:

51wMZ6CnyFL.jpg

Goddamn Jase... Is this any good?

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah. There some rumors that they used similar tactics to acquire Arkane and possibly id software. The only developer that was probably offered a upfront buyout would be MachineGames; since they were a new studio (of industry veterans from Starbreeze)

-----------------------------

I'm probably one of the biggest Obsidian fans on GAF. But the issue with bonus payouts is less underhanded machinations and more a example of how its hard for even well intentioned Publishers to objectively set the qualifications for bonuses.

In the end metacritic aggregate scores isn't the answer as Fallout: New Vegas shows. But the only other objective standard is number of units sold ( or one of its' derivatives). A metric that has its' own flaws. Outside of that the two involved parties, publisher and developer, have inherent conflicting interests so an agreement is unlikely without much back and fourth.

I think both parties received a raw deal in the end. With Obsidian coming up with a bit less mind you.
it's not so much the metacritic bonus thing as it is beth not paying obs royalties, which would be the fairest thing to do, just give them 5% of the sales or something. so if beth gets rich obs gets rich too and everyone's happy.

I'm tired of feeling bad for telling people to buy new vegas since obs doesn't get a dime and it just feeds the bethmonster some more.

lol. I think he's actually seen all of her movies.
probably not that many of them anyways

I've watched all of zooey deschanel's movies, and most of those are garbage (I think there's one with fucking tom green in it of all people)

though all the real girls is one of my faves of all time, too bad david gordon green is for some reason directing stoner flicks nowadays

JakeD

i apologize as this may have been asked already but i did a search and didn't see anything:

as someone whos only interested in crusader kings 2 for the Westeros mod, is the vanilla game sufficient? is there any DLC i shouldn't miss regardless?

Razorskin

----- ------
Two foils so far, one from both Costume Quest and Garry's Mod, too bad they couldn't be from games whose cards sell higher...

So I'm trying to play Endless Space on my Mac and my saves from my Desktop aren't showing up even though I've got the Steam Cloud option checked on my desktop and on the Mac.

Anyone have any experience with anything like this?

The_Monk

Anyone have any experience with anything like this?

I believe that happens with some games fellow GAFfer. XCOM Enemy Unknown was one to have this problem but there was a solution on the Steam Community hub.

For these problems try to check there, some games have solutions, other don't. Hope it helped a little bit.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
it's not so much the metacritic bonus thing as it is beth not paying obs royalties, which would be the fairest thing to do, just give them 5% of the sales or something. so if beth gets rich obs gets rich too and everyone's happy.

I'm tired of feeling bad for telling people to buy new vegas since obs doesn't get a dime and it just feeds the bethmonster some more.

Personally, yeah I would love if they got at least a small royalty off of their contract work, including F:NV. It would mean they would be closer to being financially independent enough that they felt no need to constantly seek out contract work and instead make the type of RPG they wanted; and without asinine time frames or publisher demands that most of their otherwise previous games were crippled by.

Bethesda, technically Zenimax, has no reason to though. They have no legal obligations as F:NV was contract work, which only stipulated bonuses pursuant to a aggregate metacritic score. And as far as PR goes, outside of Obsidian fans and some core cRPG forum fans, most consumers don't feel any ill will toward Bethesda. Actually, most people blame Obsidian for game issues that were introduced at the behest of publishers. And finally, Bethesda has burned bridges with Obsidian, so I would imagine Obsidian isn't inclined to continue working with Bethesda royalty/bonus or not.

probably not that many of them anyways

I've watched all of zooey deschanel's movies, and most of those are garbage (I think there's one with fucking tom green in it of all people)

though all the real girls is one of my faves of all time, too bad david gordon green is for some reason directing stoner flicks nowadays

I think, excluding TV shows, its around twelve released movies. So manageable, as long as one doesn't care about the quality of said movies.

Grief.exe

Does Awesomenauts have a slower card drop rate than other games? 1.2 hours and only one card

It seemed very slow to me.

Playing games might give you faster drop rates than ideling. When I was playing Natural Selection II, it took about an hour for all 4 cards.

Awesomenauts too about 3 hours for 4 cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom