• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawg

I just woke up after only 4 hours of sleep with the sharpest and most painful toothache in the history of my life.

I am slowly dying Steamgaf.

halp.

Grief.exe

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47073805&postcount=3174

ee4b402a442c94b4f55a537897abf91f.jpg

Well... at least it's 3000x4000... :D

Not gonna lie, that is pretty ugly lol

Fewr

I'm about to finish Alpha Protocol (great game, I like it a lot).

What should I play next?

Saints Row III, Fallout New Vegas, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Alan Wake?
Recommend in list form please.

Thanks.

Dawg

What should I play next?

Thanks.

Actually, all those games are equally awesome. I really couldn't choose what to do first :p

Know that whatever you pick first, it will be fun to play. Fallout: New Vegas is probably the longest game though, so if you want to start with a shorter game, pick Alan Wake or Deus Ex. And Saints Row is just crazy mad open world fun.

Prophane33

Well, I wouldn't really compare it to CK2. I would say that CK2 is somewhat harder to manage than EU, since you're not dealing with character relationships, but rather country relationships (and there are a whole lot less of those.)

Exactly, EU is way easier than CK2. I may be biased though, as it was my first Paradox Grand Strategy game. Followed by Victoria and then HoI. I didn't get into CK until the week 2 came out. CK2 was definitely not the hardest to learn (HoI says hi) but it was significantly more difficult for me to pick up than EU. I'm super excited for EU IV but I'm going to hold off for a little bit due to being poor/lack of time. You better believe I'll grab it this winter though, even if it's a measly 10~20% off. There aren't many Paradox developed games I don't own. An EU with the quality of CK is going to be epic.

What should I play next?

Thanks.

1. First hour of SR3
2. First four hours of Deus Ex
3. Alan Wake but not the DLC
4. Settle into Fallout New Vegas with mods.

BadAss2961

What should I play next?

Thanks.
Coming off Alpha Protocol, i'd hold on Human Revolution and play at least one game first. They might be a bit too similar.

Decided to return to playing Costume Quest after not playing for a couple years. I was really getting back into it and having fun and then ran into a game breaking bug that the official fix is "start over". Maybe in another couple years... :(

n8rtot

Neo Member
I wonder why they had to scratch their latest iteration of prey 2

the videos made it look amazing
the dishonored devs (forgot the name of the company) seem like a perfect fit, anyways
bitch please

Considering the two lead creators to Dishonored are working on the Dishonored 2 in France, you have to wonder who's left to work on the new Prey 2 in Austin?

Whenever a publisher releases an awesome idea that seems fresh and exactly what I wanted, I always relish when they decide to do nothing for two years then tell everyone they've decided to reboot it because the idea wasn't good enough for them.

Lain

Started Tomb Raider and I liked what little I've played, though I've been more busy trying to decide if I should kill my fps for the sexy hair or not.

Dawg

I was playing Alan Wake at 3 AM some time ago.

Game isn't supposed to be that scary I think, but it was really dark outside and everyone was asleep and I was playing that one level (I think chapter 2) in the dark forest where those shadow guys like to ambush you. Worst part were those boss monsters that like to run fast and when they close in on you, the game plays a dramatic kind of music. (I was using headphones) Also, I was starting one of the generators to create an area of light and when the camera changed to start the mouse minigame, I noticed an enemy running at me. I was clicking like crazy to boot up that generator.

I was too scared to fetch me a drink downstairs because of the darkness that night

I was playing Alan Wake at 3 AM some time ago.

Game isn't supposed to be that scary I think, but it was really dark outside and everyone was asleep and I was playing that one level (I think chapter 2) in the dark forest where those shadow guys like to ambush you. Worst part were those boss monsters that like to run fast and when they close in on you, the game plays a dramatic kind of music. (I was using headphones) Also, I was starting one of the generators to create an aa of light and when the camera changed to start the mouse minigame, I noticed an enemy running at me. I was clicking like crazy to boot up that generator.

I was too scared to fetch me a drink downstairs because of the darkness that night

Alan Wake, when played in ideal surroundings, can be pretty frightening.

rybrad

Anyone know a way to force Steam to download a cloud save? I got a new PC and the game shows it has saves stored in the cloud but Steam won't download it. I checked in the userdata folder under the app id but it isn't showing up in there either. I tried re-installing the game but still no luck.

HoosTrax

Anyone know a way to force Steam to download a cloud save? I got a new PC and the game shows it has saves stored in the cloud but Steam won't download it. I checked in the userdata folder under the app id but it isn't showing up in there either. I tried re-installing the game but still no luck.
Maybe try changing your computer clock to some date in the past, creating a save, resetting the clock back to now, then starting the game and see if Steam will tell you there is a conflict.

Dawg

Alan Wake, when played in ideal surroundings, can be pretty frightening.

Yeah, playing the game during daytime is a lot less scary. Of course, that's mainly because of the darkness element which is much more frightening if you're actually playing when it's dark :p

That reminds me about that one time, many years ago, when I stayed at a friends house. We always played games till like 3/4am or something and one night, we decided to play F.E.A.R. Goddamn that shit was so scary, we started to hear all kinds of things outside etc

wilflare

finally redeemed all my Amazon, Indie Bundles, etc codes
that took days @_@

I don't think I'll ever finish my backlog now

I really dislike Paradox DLCs... I'm losing track of my Magicka/CK2 DLCs

Exeunt

Speaking of Deus Ex, how is Human Revolution compared to the original? I believe I'm almost done the first one now; I just (late game spoilers)
killed Walton Simons and now I have to stop a missile from launching
and I'm guessing the end is in sight. Pretty fantastic game in my eyes, and the parts that haven't aged well give it a goofy charm for the most part. I'm wondering how Human Revolution is generally received in comparison.

I'd be waiting for a cheap Director's Cut version in any case, and I remember people saying that Human Revolution is good, but how does it stack up against Deus Ex for those who have played both? I know not to touch Invisible War at least.

Wynnebeck

Banned
About to start Sniper Ghost Warrior 2. Never played the first one so this should be hilarious. After that, I want to play and beat Dishonored and maybe Alan Wake.

rybrad

Maybe try changing your computer clock to some date in the past, creating a save, resetting the clock back to now, then starting the game and see if Steam will tell you there is a conflict.
No dice, thanks anyway though. Luckily I can just crank up the XP bonus and get back to where I was quickly with just a minor annoyance.

Dawg

Should probably start working on the Saints Row IV OT one of these days.

Still not sure on the title though, this is what I got so far:

Saints Row IV |OT| Thanks Obama
Saints Row IV |OT| Made In America
Saints Row IV |OT| One Nation, One Crew

DukeBobby

About to start Sniper Ghost Warrior 2. Never played the first one so this should be hilarious. After that, I want to play and beat Dishonored and maybe Alan Wake.

There's nothing really hilarious about it. It's just a mediocre game, which is mildly enjoyable for its 6 hour duration.

denx

Finished Tomb Raider. Fun game, not great, but very fun. Definitely interested in the sequel. Not sure if I'll bother with the multiplayer.

I was about to re-start Psychonauts when I remembered that I still have to finish my Mass Effect 3 playthrough with the Leviathan and Citadel DLC's installed. Oh backlog you silly. :p

Can someone link me to the Game Trailers interview with Fish and Blow today where there was a huge meltdown?

EDIT: NVM found it. Its buried in Game Trailers newest article about the issue.

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/roj70m/invisible-walls-everything-and-the-kitchen-sink

Did Jon Blow and Fish really react badly when asked about Microsoft policies, or were they just like "no comments" or "not interested in talking about it"?

I don't know that Annoyed Gamer guy, but he does come off as a bit of a douche. :/

DukeBobby

Speaking of Deus Ex, how is Human Revolution compared to the original? I believe I'm almost done the first one now; I just (late game spoilers)
and I'm guessing the end is in sight. Pretty fantastic game in my eyes, and the parts that haven't aged well give it a goofy charm for the most part. I'm wondering how Human Revolution is generally received in comparison.

I'd be waiting for a cheap Director's Cut version in any case, and I remember people saying that Human Revolution is good, but how does it stack up against Deus Ex for those who have played both? I know not to touch Invisible War at least.

The general consensus is that it's better than Invisible War, but not as good as the original. I think it's a fantastic game, and it was my GOTY for 2011. It stayed true to the original, while also being very accessible for people who may be new to the franchise. For a reboot, which are usually terrible, it's pretty damn impressive.

EDIT: Great covers, Grief.

Fireblend

Banned
Human Revolution is amazing. The music is great, the setting is fantastic and even though you can gun through some places it makes for a pretty great stealth game.

Volotaire

I think I found the perfect background for the Deus Ex cover.

What do you guys think? I took some pieces from the previous Deus Ex background.

I like it , simplistic is great.

Human Revolution, as Duke Bobby stated, stays true to the original but puts its own spin on the franchise. The story isn't as great, some of the later levels in the game don't live up tot the first couple of sections potential, but the addition of side quests are great, and it feels like a great game 'world' You aren't punished for playing any game style, just like the original, and it feels great, although the focus of the different play styles is a little different. hacking minigame is tense and satisfying. Third person cover works surprisingly well, though a bit odd in some areas, and AI is questionable in some places. But the game world is incredible to look at, some stellar design there.

A very nice gameplay reboot.

EDIT: Also soundtrack is incredibly solid.

denx

I did two playthoughts of DE:HR. Absolutely loved it. I went for the original Deus Ex afterwards. I played for 5 hours and stopped because I wasn't feeling the game. Couldn't get over how clunky it felt, which is something I can't say for, say System Shock 2, which I played earlier in the year and really sucked me in.

Yeah, those Deus Ex covers look awesome.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I did two playthoughts of DE:HR. Absolutely loved it. I went for the original Deus Ex afterwards. I played for 5 hours and stopped because I wasn't feeling the game. :/

Yeah, those Deus Ex covers look awesome.

Prolly cuz you didn't put all those sick gfx mods on it.

Exeunt

The general consensus is that it's better than Invisible War, but not as good as the original. I think it's a fantastic game, and it was my GOTY for 2011. It stayed true to the original, while also being very accessible for people who may be new to the franchise. For a reboot, which are usually terrible, it's pretty damn impressive.

Human Revolution is amazing. The music is great, the setting is fantastic and even though you can gun through some places it makes for a pretty great stealth game.

That sounds pretty reasonable. Good music is a plus as well! I was actually caught off guard by how catchy the Deus Ex soundtrack is, especially after hearing the so-so synth in the intro.

I did two playthoughts of DE:HR. Absolutely loved it. I went for the original Deus Ex afterwards. I played for 5 hours and stopped because I wasn't feeling the game. :/

Was there something in particular that HR drew you in with that you felt the original was lacking? I thought the tutorial and maybe the first bit of Liberty Island were a little rough, but I thought the game was well on its way by the five hour mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom