• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

I think Deus Ex HR was fine mechanically but I just found it to be so bland overall. The main character isn't as good as JC, the conversations aren't as good, the story and plot are meh. There's just something about the original that makes it special

denx

Was there something in particular that HR drew you in with that you felt the original was lacking? I thought the tutorial and maybe the first bit of Liberty Island were a little rough, but I thought the game was well on its way by the five hour mark.

I'll quote my post which I edited afterwards:

I did two playthoughts of DE:HR. Absolutely loved it. I went for the original Deus Ex afterwards. I played for 5 hours and stopped because I wasn't feeling the game. Couldn't get over how clunky it felt, which is something I can't say for, say System Shock 2, which I played earlier in the year and really sucked me in.

To clarify, yes, SS2 is pretty clunky gameplay wise, but it oozes so much atmosphere that I eventually got over its clunkyness. The game kept me engaged because of how tense it was (I played it unmodded btw).

I can't say the same for DE. What I played of it left me... indifferent honestly. Granted I didn't got far into the game, (it was the mission after the Liberty Island one, when you get to New York) so I fully intend on trying the game again, see if it finally clicks with me.

Heard it's pretty garbage. You can watch TBs WTF is for more info.

Will do, thanks. Any other impressions of Citadels though? Really just want a good, 3D castle sim given Stronghold 3 was so poor. Hard to believe they would put Citadels up at 40 dollars if it's not very good. Wouldn't mind spending 15 though which I have the option of so will watch that video.

xJavonta

Banned
I think Deus Ex HR was fine mechanically but I just found it to be so bland overall. The main character isn't as good as JC, the conversations aren't as good, the story and plot are meh. There's just something about the original that makes it special

Vice versa for me

Loved HR, but tried getting into the first and it's just not happening

MikeDown

Banned
I think I found the perfect background for the Deus Ex cover.

What do you guys think? I took some pieces from the previous Deus Ex background.
icRNekSKB3hKO.png
I love em' it has more flare and style then some of the other backgrounds I have seen. The 2nd Dues Ex: HR pic in my libary is for the Missing Link DLC, i don't like the one I'm using now and will prolly end up using yours. No really I think it is really great, thanks :D I've really gotten into customizing my libary recently

1.JPG

zkylon

zkylewd
just watched pacific rim

at first I was like yeahhhhhhhhhh but by the end I was kinda meh :/

music is boss tho

I think I found the perfect background for the Deus Ex cover.

What do you guys think? I took some pieces from the previous Deus Ex background.
that's badass

awesome work man

I think that style would actually work really well with most games heh

Exeunt

JC can be pretty hilarious sometimes, so I like him. I actually kind of wish the characters stuck around longer in the original Deus Ex; it feels rather episodic sometimes when you leave the characters behind and start taking orders from someone else, but I can see what they were going for.

I'll quote my post which I edited afterwards:

To clarify, yes, SS2 is pretty clunky gameplay wise, but it oozes so much atmosphere that I eventually got over its clunkyness. The game kept me engaged because of how tense it was (I played it unmodded btw).

I can't say the same for DE. What I played of it left me... indifferent honestly. Granted I didn't got far into the game, (it was the mission after the Liberty Island one, when you get to New York) so I fully intend on trying the game again, see if it finally clicks with me.

I'm playing both for the first time this year, and I've loved them both so far (not being done with Deus Ex just yet)! Melee is the worst part of both games in my opinion, though that changes a bit in Deus Ex after you get the
Dragon Sword
further into the game. I think System Shock 2's design hides its limitations a little better, but I've been fine with both. I guess it depends on who you ask.

Human Revolution, as Duke Bobby stated, stays true to the original but puts its own spin on the franchise. The story isn't as great, some of the later levels in the game don't live up tot the first couple of sections potential, but the addition of side quests are great, and it feels like a great game 'world' You aren't punished for playing any game style, just like the original, and it feels great, although the focus of the different play styles is a little different. hacking minigame is tense and satisfying. Third person cover works surprisingly well, though a bit odd in some areas, and AI is questionable in some places. But the game world is incredible to look at, some stellar design there.

A very nice gameplay reboot.

EDIT: Also soundtrack is incredibly solid.

Missed this post on the last page, but thanks! Hacking minigames and third person cover, eh? Not sure how I feel about those, but obviously I haven't played the game.

Grief.exe

Updated the KOTOR II Cover with a logo on the spine

I love em' it has more flare and style then some of the other backgrounds I have seen. The 2nd Dues Ex: HR pic in my libary is for the Missing Link DLC, i don't like the one I'm using now and will prolly end up using yours. No really I think it is really great, thanks :D I've really gotten into customizing my libary recently

1.JPG

I'm actually making DVD cases so I can have a physical collection of my favorite PC games to go with my classic games collection.

I put this together for you, probably what you are looking for.

cXpYFNW.png

Dawg

I just saw the neogaf gold logo instead of the old logo on neogaf.com/forum

It disappeared after refresh tho

what does it mean

FloatOn

I'm really quite drunk.

just wanted to drop a quick note and say how much i appreciate the gaf insight.

each of you is the best in your own way.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm really quite drunk.

just wanted to drop a quick note and say how much i appreciate the gaf insight.

each of you is the best in your own way.

Have you bought something on a whim yet? Last time I was drunk and on Steam, I bought the Max Payne 3 Season Pass at half off -- Aussie Taxed and all -- not realising it was a general discount as a result of the ongoing R* sale.

FloatOn

Have you bought something on a whim yet? Last time I was drunk and on Steam, I bought the Max Payne 3 Season Pass at half off -- Aussie Taxed and all -- not realising it was a general discount as a result of the ongoing R* sale.

my wife drove us home so I am no longer responsible for anything that actually matters.

but neogaf totally matters to me.

I know this the Steam thread, but wanted to give more people a chance to see this. I have an extra Far Cry 3: Blood Dargon code, I'm not 100% sure if it used or not. I already have it on Steam so no reason for me to keep it. It is for a Uplay account I think.. First person who quotes me.

Also been playing some STALKER, pretty fun so far. Wish I had a better mouse with more buttons, what do you all recommend under $50?

OverHeat

« generous god »
I know this the Steam thread, but wanted to give more people a chance to see this. I have an extra Far Cry 3: Blood Dargon code, I'm not 100% sure if it used or not. I already have it on Steam so no reason for me to keep it. It is for a Uplay account I think.. First person who quotes me.

Also been playing some STALKER, pretty fun so far. Wish I had a better mouse with more buttons, what do you all recommend under $50?

me?

FloatOn

dude I will play the fuck out of blood dragon

edit - fuck I guess I'll play one of several other games I've meant to play

Grief.exe

Logitech, Steelseries, Corsair, Zowie

Take your pic, pick the one with the best grip and size for you.

I currently have a Corsair M65.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wish I had a better mouse with more buttons, what do you all recommend under $50?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZMF26W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I love mine. It's a claw grip, and the solid click doublewide wheel is sweet. I've definitely made use of the shift feature, though I haven't messed with multiple profiles too much. The extra two buttons up top have especially been handy to me. Even in a game with more simple controls, it's nice to put map and inventory to them.

Here is a big thread on gaming mice.

Salsa

I've tried some mouses and nothing beats the MX518 still. G5 or G500 is the closest you're gonna get, so there.

SteelSeries Sensei is pretty good too.

Pretty much everything else I tried felt wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom