• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prophane33

You should feel great. There's something about driving a truck through European highways and cities that relaxed me. I don't know, I didn't think it would be this great, even after enjoying the demo.

I was listening to one of the internet radios in-game when a Supertramp song started playing. That's it, a game can't get better than that. It can't.

woosh.*

*The sound of the joke going over your head.

I'm obsessed with the game, nothing is better than cruising down the highway when something awesome comes on one of the internet radio stations (once Judas Priest - Turbo Lover came on!). Or that feeling of finally completing your longest long-distance job.

Edit: This is one of those games that by the title sounds ridiculous, but you just don't understand it until you actually start playing...also I now see that you saw my avatar :p

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
woosh.*

*The sound of the joke going over your head.

I'm obsessed with the game, nothing is better than cruising down the highway when something awesome comes on one of the internet radio stations (once Judas Priest - Turbo Lover came on!). Or that feeling of finally completing your longest long-distance job.

Edit: This is one of those games that by the title sounds ridiculous, but you just don't understand it until you actually start playing.
I know now, I edited my previous post, lol

That's exactly how I felt, though I haven't attempted any long distance job. In fact, I don't think I've unlocked them yet. I'm still very poor (less than 12000 euros), so I can't even afford my own truck.

Prophane33

That's exactly how I felt, though I haven't attempted any long distance job. In fact, I don't think I've unlocked them yet. I'm still very poor (less than 12000 euros), so I can't even afford my own truck.

You should try taking out a loan. The rates aren't that terrible compared to the amount of money you can make with your own truck.

When I hit lvl 4, I had 30K euros and the bank emailed me during that job to say I had been approved for credit up to 500K. I took out a 400K loan, bought a truck, upgraded my garage, bought another truck and hired another driver. Feels good.

Totally worth it because the next time I looked for jobs, I went from jobs that paid 8K to jobs that paid 30K.

Milamber

Yep, a 100k loan at 2k installment a day, when you are making trips worth 6k a day, works itself out.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
OK, so I'm gonna reach level 4 or 5 (I'm 2 at the moment) and then take out a loan, so I can make it big on the transport industry. Thanks guys!

Tellaerin

Wow, it just crashed on startup.

Oops!
The game crashed.
The crash report folder named "2013-07-23_020112" next to game executable.
It would be great if you'd send it to the developer of the game!

My loyal PC, jumping on a live crystal grenade for me...

oipic

Forgive my self-indulgent self-quoting, but all this ETS2 talk makes me want to say this again!

ETS2 is wonderful.

My first real job, delivering three large pipe-like things to Praha from Bratislava - sun shining as I pass by fields of sunflowers, and a tractor-harvester-thing actively working away in a nearby field, while Czech country radio provides the soundtrack. The sky darkens gradually, it soon begins to rain, but I pop my lights on, activate the wipers, and carry on... all the while grinning like a loon. It's then that it made sense, this is why folks love this game. Get it, friends!

Oh, but the reversing and parking - gosh, do I need to study some how-to videos or something! Spent 30 minutes folding my truck in half, pointing every which way but the correct one.

How have you guys fared with the whole parking thing? My efforts would probably make for a very comical (but embarrassing) video.

Prophane33

Forgive my self-indulgent self-quoting, but all this ETS2 talk makes me want to say this again!

How have you guys fared with the whole parking thing? My efforts would probably make for a very comical (but embarrassing) video.

I actually never park it. I have no problem backing it up to pick up freight. Actually parking the freight at it's destination...doesn't go so well. I also hear that the "precision bonus" doesn't really make a huge difference. I still practice on shorter runs when I'm not under a big time crunch. I believe that eventually I'll get the hang of it. It might also be easier using a wheel (I'm using a 360 controller).

I was excited to pick up Prison Architect in the sale and it hasn't disappointed me. I had a few early missteps... I dilly-dallied when it came to getting the critical buildings up, thus, my prisoners weren't too pleased when they hadn't eaten or showered in days. There was a lot of fighting in that holding cell. lol. A few of them also ran for the hills when a worker opened a door to outside, oops. Lesson learned. My new prison is coming along nicely; I enjoy planning the layout.

It was definitely worth the money.

oipic

I actually never park it. I have no problem backing it up to pick up freight. Actually parking the freight at it's destination...doesn't go so well. I also hear that the "precision bonus" doesn't really make a huge difference. I still practice on shorter runs when I'm not under a big time crunch. I believe that eventually I'll get the hang of it. It might also be easier using a wheel (I'm using a 360 controller).

I'm tackling it with a 360 controller as well, but nearly dug out my wheel (after 30 minutes or so of repeated 7-point turns, having tied my truck in knots repeatedly) in some vain hope that it might help with dropping off freight...but I suspect it won't! I guess I'll keep chipping away at it, as you say, it'll most likely 'click' at some point.

Europe in a truck is awesome. The best game I got out of the sale.

I'd watched plenty of let's plays and whatnot before getting behind the wheel myself, but videos don't do full justice to the 'experience' this game provides. It is indeed a surprise packet.

Vyer

What don't you understand?

Well it was primarily the boosters once you have all the allowed drops, but luckily someone explained a few posts later.

Other than that, the foil cards. I guess those are just random drops beyond the allowed number?

Gvaz

Banned
This is on medium for Metro Last Light

197132A102B9079168B6EE4FF1280EFF14F5EE1B

Jesus fuck this is probably one of the best looking games on the PC right now.

also the engine runs a LOT better than Metro 2033, as I just got done playing it.

Gunplay is dope, sounds dope, atmospheric as fuck, animations are better, sneaking is the cat's pajamas, level design is catnip, story is straightforward but still able to surprise you.

I already loved the metro series (books included) and this is worming its way into my GOTY for 2013. I had to tear myself away to stop playing the whole fucking thing in one sitting.

The one negative about Metro Last Light's visuals are they seriously toned down the smoke effects for gun firing to almost nill. In the first game every shot would cause smoke to go out and spread across the room and get affected by the light and so on. Was one of the more impressive effects I've seen in a game.

Still in Last Light but it goes away after a few seconds for the most part.

Even adding a handful of card updates each day of the sale was overdoing it. Releasing another 30 into the wild in a single day is just ridiculous.

But even if those games weren't dailies/flash sales, they might have gotten a boost in sales with the added cards, now most people are broke from the sale, so even if they add cards I don't think many people will buy them.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
La Mulana cards coming

@playismEN 11:02 PM
Working on implementing trading cards into La-Mulana Steam. Right. Now. #tradingcards

I bought a lot of games as gifts during the sale and decided to add them all to my library today.

Whoops. Now the "Friends recently bought" list on the side are just a long list of games bought by Monado Blade.

Sorry people who have me on their friends list!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
But even if those games weren't dailies/flash sales, they might have gotten a boost in sales with the added cards, now most people are broke from the sale, so even if they add cards I don't think many people will buy them.

Sure, I'm just annoyed because I've now got almost 50 games to use up drops in. I can't keep up!

Lingitiz

This is on medium for Metro Last Light

Jesus fuck this is probably one of the best looking games on the PC right now.

also the engine runs a LOT better than Metro 2033, as I just got done playing it.

Gunplay is dope, sounds dope, atmospheric as fuck, animations are better, sneaking is the cat's pajamas, level design is catnip, story is straightforward but still able to surprise you.

I already loved the metro series (books included) and this is worming its way into my GOTY for 2013. I had to tear myself away to stop playing the whole fucking thing in one sitting.

Metro LL is probably the best looking game I've played. This screen looks ridiculous even with Steam's compression.

wilflare

Hmm you guys made me feel I should have gotten EuroTruck...

Thinking of getting Bundle Stars for Afterfall, Galaxy and Disciples III... Already have the rest.. Hmm

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmm you guys made me feel I should have gotten EuroTruck...

Thinking of getting Bundle Stars for Afterfall, Galaxy and Disciples III... Already have the rest.. Hmm

That works out to less than $2 per game and you can give away the rest via ModBot. Win-win! ;)

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Even adding a handful of card updates each day of the sale was overdoing it. Releasing another 30 into the wild in a single day is just ridiculous.

Agreed, it's quite overwhelming. I guess the average person is not trying to get all their drops to sell or craft or whatever, though (or doesn't own all the games, at that!). I'm just trying to do level 1 of each badge at this point, by coming up with the other half of cards I don't get the drops for. Downloaded them all, gonna be a lot of idling tomorrow when I wake up.

If we had back the original drop rate/ability to idle multiple games at a time it would be fine, but I guess they thought that dropped the value of the cards too fast.

So I went ahead and picked up Saints Row 2 during this sale. (Yeah, I know, it's an older game, but it's been on my wishlist for awhile and I decided to pull the trigger.) Installed it and the Gentlemen of the Row mod, which I had heard fixes a bunch of issues.

Is it wrong that I'm enjoying this game about a thousand times as much as GTA IV? (And I didn't think GTA IV was particularly bad, either.) I've already sunk about 8 hours into the game, mostly running around the city doing races and other side missions.

I'm a little late but, yeah Saints Row 2 was great, I loved it. Even though I played the pc port, which crashed 80% of the time I tried to change my appearance and during the end of some missions, the game was good enough for me to look past all that frustration.

Unfortunately I couldn't beat the final mission cause the quest was bugged for me but eh it was a great ride. I was actually thinking of playing through it again before Saint's Row 4 comes out so thanks for reminding me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom