• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
What about different areas and music though? I know the game already has tons of missions, but many of them are just repeats of the same area.

That's kinda literally what monster hunter is: You have one map, there's tons of missions in said map.

Eventually you get more maps (with different loot and monsters in them), but you still have a bunch of missions on the "repeating" maps.

I don't know how many maps and/or music tracks Mercenary Kings has or how many it'll have when properly released: I didn't play it enough to change Patents and get a different set of missions yet - I'm still unlocking "Private" missions.

Sure, I can see it being a problem. But it's a grind-centered game, so repeating parts is expected, per say.

Dunder has it for $7.50. You will be paying $12.50 more at release.

I'd jump on those prices if people want the game, because I have a feeling there won't be many copies left after this batch...

Grief.exe

Added to OP

That's kinda literally what monster hunter is: You have one map, there's tons of missions in said map.

Eventually you get more maps (with different loot and monsters in them), but you still have a bunch of missions on the "repeating" maps.

I don't know how many maps and/or music tracks Mercenary Kings has or how many it'll have when properly released: I didn't play it enough to change Patents and get a different set of missions yet - I'm still unlocking "Private" missions.

Sure, I can see it being a problem. But it's a grind-centered game, so repeating parts is expected, per say.

I understand. I watched a video earlier today where the person had unlocked Major missions, it was still the same map, enemies, and difficulty.

Monster Hunter has multiple maps you can unlock over the course of time, this game might not have it yet.

That is not necessarily me knocking the game in any way, it is in Alpha after all. And seems to be in a very solid state for an Alpha build at that.

I'm just saying that it may be best to hold off, especially for someone who finds it hard to come back to games after a period of time.

I would imagine they could run into some issues.

If you are walking through a town, you will probably here multiple conversations. If a player is moving through quickly, how do you differentiate between conversations for the sub-titles.

It could get really confusing.

Most of the conversations don't start until you walk up to the person in question although there are random conversations that will continue after the completion of the main conversation. Ie after hearing the story of the mother with radiation poison the daughter and dad will continue to talk about fishing endlessly.

One could use different fonts, put the character talking in parentheses, subtitles upon cursor recognition and so on. I really find it hard to believe there doesn't exist a solution. Anything would be better than flat out not subtitling the conversations.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I seem to have received a Zombie Driver HD booster overnight. What a nice surprise.

Edit: No foils, but no dupes, either. A small victory.

Dinosur

Looking through the achievement list, it seems like Raven has missable stuff which really irks me. Don't care about the actual achievements, just that I'm missing part of the game in a genre that's worthless to replay.

Spoiler for 2-3 hours in:
I stopped playing when you show up outside the cruise ship. However, there's an achievement for finding the Baroness' purse. They beat you over the head that the violinist had it and he was a drunk. I swear I tried clicking everywhere around the bar area, but it never let me pick up any of the bottles until you had to build the fire (same with in the professor's room). Combine that with the pills magically disappearing out of your inventory after the train wreck, and I'm assuming all that must have tied together.

My only solace is the 5% hope that since they're both on the cruise ship (well I know the violinist was heading there, can't remember Baroness plans) that you actually solve that case there instead of on the train.

Grief.exe

Found an awesome image for a potential Halo PC OT

HALO_by_chinkaju.jpg

I think there's a version of that that doesn't have all the photoshop grunge brushes/green over it.

EDIT - yeah, it's the cover from First Strike.

Kind of loses its sex appeal without that green filter though. I suppose I could replicate that fairly easily.

halo203.jpg

Seagoon

Is there any easy fix for games that want to launch with UAC permissions every time. I'm not keen on disabling UAC outright, but launching Trials Gold is fast becoming a chore.

If I remember correctly there are some .exe files that can be renamed or something?

Grief.exe

I'd be all over playing through Halo 3 again, ODST would be nice as well.

ODST Single player and Firefight

iEoZCAaCJvove.gif

Would be a perfect fit on PC where horde modes in games like Warframe, L4D2, and Killing Floor attract around 15,000 concurrent players a day. Each.

ODST Single player and Firefight

iEoZCAaCJvove.gif

Would be a perfect fit on PC where horde modes in games like Warframe, L4D2, and Killing Floor attract around 15,000 concurrent players a day. Each.

ODST was a masterpiece. Easily my favorite Halo game. Certainly not without it's flaws, but wow. First Halo I played through on legendary the first time instead of a heroic run first. Played hours of split screen firefight with friends, wasn't quite the same in Reach.

Remember buying that game a few days after launch at the Radioshack in Aspen; I was $3 short and the guy there covered it for me because he'd had such a great time with it. I'd love to have it on PC, shame it will likely never happen.

Grief.exe

Just in case you guys may have missed it, some interesting stuff coming out of the registry.

Lot of good news out of the registry the past couple days.

STALKER CoP + SoC get a bundle, and SoC updated to reflect GSC as the publisher now, not THQ. Will probably be seeing a discount in the future.

FFVIII updated a few times today for the first time in months. Square originally added logos, languages, and icons to both FFVII and FFVIII, then started working on FFVII in earnest.

Drinkbox app updated a couple times today. They are the team behind Guacamelee, so they may getting started on that port.

Hey Grief
Any chance you can add to the FAQ in the OP on how to easily categorize the steam library? :D

Here is a tool that does that
https://code.google.com/p/depressurizer/

I'll check it out tomorrow, I've done so much shit with the OP today that I think I will take a bit of a break.

Gonna play a little bit of NSII then head off to bed.

Addnan

I would buy The Bureau for £20.25 from GMG, but after seeing how quickly 2k are willingly to basically give their games away I am torn :/

Exeunt

It's nice that the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. bundle is back! No regrets about getting the games from other GAFers though, since I only ended up paying $2-3 more than the sale prices would've been. Unless they slash the bundle price when putting it back up, but ah well. Other members would've received some good deals from me in that case!

Now hurry up and drop Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines to an acceptable price, Activision!

Salsa

Mercenary Kings is pretty feature complete dudes. I mean it'll be way better down the line but isnt there like 60 playable levels right now? there'll be 100+ in the final release

that's hardly "a very far along proof of concept"

I think the game will be $20 once it releases too

omg_mjd

Is there any easy fix for games that want to launch with UAC permissions every time. I'm not keen on disabling UAC outright, but launching Trials Gold is fast becoming a chore.

If I remember correctly there are some .exe files that can be renamed or something?

In my case, I stopped UAC from popping up by renaming the .vdf files in the program's main folder (Steam/steamapps/common/NameOfGame/).

catabarez

Using SteamCleaner could fix that.

Grief.exe

Mercenary Kings is pretty feature complete dudes. I mean it'll be way better down the line but isnt there like 60 playable levels right now? there'll be 100+ in the final release

that's hardly "a very far along proof of concept"

I think the game will be $20 once it releases too

60 missions, but don't those missions send you to the same map everytime?

Are there that many maps yet?

Knurek

There's no chance in hell, FF VII and VIII had pc ports in the 90's, they just took them and made them playable on modern systems with achievements. FF X had no PC port so no.

If they are porting the games to Vita, why can't they port to PC as well? Provided it sells (and judging by FF7 re-release, it does).

Grief.exe

There's no chance in hell, FF VII and VIII had pc ports in the 90's, they just took them and made them playable on modern systems with achievements. FF X had no PC port so no.

I think there is a pretty good chance we could see more Final Fantasy titles.

Japanese companies are all starting to wake up to the fact that their is a massive market on the PC platform.

FFXV port is already being considered. Its not too much of a stretch to imagine FFX HD, Kingdom Hearts HD, maybe even FFIX when their respective next-gen versions inevitably arrive.

Square should realize that DRM reduces sales and we do not need the online integration

Arthea

I think there is a pretty good chance we could see more Final Fantasy titles.

Japanese companies are all starting to wake up to the fact that their is a massive market on the PC platform.

FFXV port is already being considered. Its not too much of a stretch to imagine FFX HD, Kingdom Hearts HD, maybe even FFIX when their respective next-gen versions inevitably arrive.

FFX is a huge game. I think SE would think that porting it is too costly. FFXV is other matter entirely, they are somewhat obsessed with MMOs after FF11 success and if one would ask me, MMOs are PC genre.

I was pretty sure IX also got a PC port.

nope, at least I never heard of such a port.

Atruvius

How come you guys are getting all excited about Halo's getting a Steam release? There hasn't been any new news or anything, right?

omg_mjd

Thanks for the tip but deleting just results in them being re-created on the next launch :(

That sucks. The program I "fixed" by doing that was Music Creator Touch. It would just keep attempting to re-install itself every launch, triggering UAC. That's why the .vdf trick worked for me. I wonder what's causing it in your case.

Seagoon

That sucks. The program I "fixed" by doing that was Music Creator Touch. It would just keep attempting to re-install itself every launch, triggering UAC. That's why the .vdf trick worked for me. I wonder what's causing it in your case.

It's annoying whatever the problem is. Here is a screen cap, sorry for the quality but print screen doesn't work in UAC

jngCuFh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom