• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pah. How did Oniken not get greenlit?! Shameful.

So this Indie Gala thing, is this one of the bundles that'll add Steam keys if games are later out on Steam? I might as well grab Oniken now, but I'm kind of curious on if I'll have to double dip if it is eventually greenlit?

wilflare

For games, just back up your steamapps and userdata folders. As for saves, use GameSave Manager.

Edit: Kindasorta beaten.

thanks guys!

should I use Steam Mover too?
Gamesave Manager basically just detects my saves/games and tries to back them up somewhere right?

anyone remember what's the app that removes the excess dx/net framework stuff that Steam installs with every game?

I like to beat JaseC :)

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You're being beaten a lot lately JaseC

It's the case far more often than not. :p

thanks guys!

should I use Steam Mover too?
Gamesave Manager basically just detects my saves/games and tries to back them up somewhere right?

There's no need. Steam Mover/Tool are catered towards those wanting games spread across multiple drives.

anyone remember what's the app that removes the excess dx/net framework stuff that Steam installs with every game?

Steam Cleaner. Keep in mind that Steam will re-download prereqs when you verify a game's cache as they're considered part of the package.

Nymphae

Banned
I have a sort of off topic question about Steam, what is the easiest way to use Big Picture mode?

I'm at my PC, and want to play on my couch. Right now, I have to turn my TV so that I can see it from my PC, then go to my graphics settings on PC, and switch my primary monitor to my TV. Then from my computer desk I am navigating windows on my TV which is awkward, until I can launch big picture, then I can finally go sit down & play. Often, I just don't bother.

Is there a better way I can be doing this?

Deques

It's the case far more often than not. :p

There's no need. Steam Mover/Tool are catered towards those wanting games spread across multiple drives.

Steam Cleaner. Keep in mind that Steam will re-download prereqs when you verify a game's cache as they're considered part of the package.

Guess what? Beaten again :p

JaseC

I have a sort of off topic question about Steam, what is the easiest way to use Big Picture mode?

I'm at my PC, and want to play on my couch. Right now, I have to turn my TV so that I can see it from my PC, then go to my graphics settings on PC, and switch my primary monitor to my TV. Then from my computer desk I am navigating windows on my TV which is awkward, until I can launch big picture, then I can finally go sit down & play. Often, I just don't bother.

Windows Key-P will allow you to switch displays quickly and easily.

Edit: And holding down the X360's guide button for a few seconds will load up BPM.

Guess what? Beaten again :p

My post has more info. ;)

wetflame

Pizza Dog

Wireless mouse/keyboard/controller would stop you having to turn your TV around.

Fireblend

Banned
Time to continue with Accent's giveaway! Good luck, everyone
3AQmK.gif

------------------------------
derExperte has won this challenge!

Special Giveaway Challenge!

I currently have 4 games to gift:
  • Dyad
  • Lunar Pack
  • Starseed Pilgrim
  • Super Hexagon

Short version of the rules: win this challenge, pick a game, get qualified for the grand prize, and decide what the next challenge will be!
Here's a longer version.

Here is the challenge:​

derExperte WINS!

One of my favorite short stories was originally written in Spanish by an Argentine writer. It concerns a series of crimes, and during the first one's investigation, a piece of paper is found inserted in a typewriter.
Whoever PMs me the exact contents of the piece of paper (in english or spanish), wins this challenge!

Hints:
- I mentioned the short story in a "What are you reading?" thread recently.
- The author is known for writing about libraries and labyrinths.
- The text you're looking for is in the Wikipedia page for the story.

If you win, Accent will PM you the instructions to make the game go on :)

garath

Summer sale card prices seem to be dropping. Could supply be exceeding demand now? Almost regretting sitting on the 15 or so cards I have. Oh well.

Tomodachi

I never played a Galactic Civilizations game and now I have both. Should I just try the second and forget I even own the first? I like strategy games if they're not too crazy and brainy. "Civ5 > Civ4" sort of guy.

Summer sale card prices seem to be dropping. Could supply be exceeding demand now? Almost regretting sitting on the 15 or so cards I have. Oh well.

I think with the summer sale behing less and less people will be interested in crafting a badge and people will just continue to undercut till 0.03 cents. There are just too many on the wild.
I'm sitting on 11 summer cards as well, if prices will continue going down in a few weeks I'll just craft the badge and be done with them.

derExperte

No kidding, I was worried it was too tough =/

I googled "Spanish by an Argentine writer. It concerns a series of crime typewriter" and there it was. Feels almost like cheating after your efforts to write down hints and clues. But I never heard of the story or it's writer so at least I learned something and will look into him a bit more. :)

Deques

I googled "Spanish by an Argentine writer. It concerns a series of crime typewriter" and there it was. Feels almost like cheating after your efforts to write down hints and clues. But I never heard of the story or it's writer so at least I learned something and will look into him a bit more. :)

Give us the next challenge and let me win :)

Fireblend

Banned

I recommend it strongly :) and his short story collections are a must read.

Edit: If anyone's curious, this is the short story, and here it is in full (PDF). And the right answer was: "The first letter of the name has been uttered"

cammy84

I think with the summer sale behing less and less people will be interested in crafting a badge and people will just continue to undercut till 0.03 cents. There are just too many on the wild.
I'm sitting on 11 summer cards as well, if prices will continue going down in a few weeks I'll just craft the badge and be done with them.

I'm the same.I think I'm going to take a wait and see approach. If the prices do continue to drop I may pick up a couple to get the badge to level 5 but we will see

Xanathus

What the hell are you talking about, they're actually going up. The lowest price averaged at 15-17 cents on the weekend and they're now at 20 cents. The only way you could say that price are going down is if you have no clue on how to read the median sale prices graph which shows the entire lifetime of card prices which was obviously high when they were first released.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Nuclear Dawn -- MB-99543216DE862085 - Taken by Turfster

Tomodachi

Just wanted to say I remember buying a mystery card for 2.30€ as soon they came out. I didn't realize they dropped everytime a badge was crafter and for some reason was under the impression they were very, very rare. Shaking my head to this day when I think about that, tsk.

Yep 2nd is all you need.

Thanks, I'll launch it right away and see what the fuss is all about.

Prophane33

I'm going to wait for the unlocks in the Indie Gala to decide if I'm going to get it. I already have half the games in that bundle. Though, my eXceed games aren't Steam versions.

cicero

This is why the Summer Sale of 2011 was so nice. You got the ticket badge for participating, fun little rewards for actually playing games for real achievements, and the promo showed your progress alongside your friends, so you were competing against each other in the larger Steam meta-game and having fun.

Valve should add real incentives, beyond cosmetic, for those that craft badges. Like bringing back Steam Chess, or creating something like Steam GO/Solitaire/Mahjong/Bridge/Checkers/Dominoes/Poker/Mahjong solitaire/Pachisi/Shogi etc, and tie access to achieving certain levels in Steam.

JaseC

Some unwanted keys from the aforementioned bundle:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Exceed -- MB-2237F6711B50D692 - Taken by Kifimbo
Painkiller -- MB-0D0BF3750899B33C - Taken by Nymphae
Exceed 2nd -- MB-9FD36D3E5E432B99 - Taken by liezryou
Exceed 3rd -- MB-DBC18B33BA95899E - Taken by The Super Bob
Space Pirates and Zombies -- MB-7EB15D2922553023 - Taken by Deques
Trainz Simulator 12 -- MB-8E67A584C53F6A98 - Taken by Addnan

KarmaCow

So I was testing out sending a gift to myself so I could send it out via ModBot and may have accidentally sent it to myself by going to the url while signed into my account. Now I seem to have a gift perpetually pending according to my notifications despite Steam telling me I have no gifts waiting to be redeemed. If someone else gets the same url, can they redeem that gift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom