• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrop

6YS85lh.png

Sticks out like a sore thumb in the US. I was like "wat".

So uh... how was the first one?

Grief.exe

It would still have some UPlay-like Origin integration at least though.

No historical precedence to that, it would probably just launch Battlelog.

Not to mention the browser based Battlelog or whatever. Hate that thing.

Battlelog was pretty solid for what it is.

Significantly better than the BC2 browser, and you can update it quickly either through official means or add user scripts as well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It would still have some UPlay-like Origin integration at least though.

There's no actual need for that, though, as there's no overarching API a la Steamworks. Autolog is intrinsic to Need for Speed games themselves, as is Battlelog to Battlefield. Origin itself is literally nothing more than a launcher.

No historical precedence to that, it would probably just launch Battlelog.

See above.

Sweet, I won the System Shock 2 raffle. A bit surprised by it, nevertheless, I'm very interested in trying out the game. Thanks woo and indeed hoo!

Edit: The gift has already been redeemed :(

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
There's no actual need for that, though, as there's no overarching API a la Steamworks. Autolog is intrinsic to Need for Speed games themselves, as is Battlelog to Battlefield. Origin itself is literally nothing more than a launcher.

See above.

Yeah, but... EA is stupid... :(

FloatOn

I was just watching the Lost Planet 3 registry app actually.

I was trying to sort out which unknown app was Lost Planet 3, Ducktales, or a potential Dragon's Dogma release.

oh man, I've wanted to play this for awhile but I don't have a console to make that happen. A steam release would be greatly appreciated.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Finished what's released of Kentucky Route Zero. Lovely execution and the magical realism approach was right up my alley.

Now to wait for more acts. :( The good part about it not being complete yet is that I'll certainly replay the previous ones whenever a new act is released. I didn't explore all nooks and crannies and I'll do so in subsequent playthroughs while pursuing different dialogue choices.

JaseC

Has anyone seen this website?

http://www.l4d3.ru/

Is this a legit page?

I'm not sure if you're genuine or just having fun (the site has been mentioned a few times), but for those legitimately curious, the answer is a resounding "no". For one, Valve has never used a countdown timer to announce a game, and secondly, it's a Russian domain.

Chaplain

I'm not sure if you're joking or just having fun, but for those legitimately curious, the answer is a resounding "no". For one, Valve has never used a countdown timer to announce a game, and secondly, it's a Russian domain.

My friend posted it on his facebook page. Ty for the info.

If i were you i would get your computer virus scanned ASAP and change all your passwords after that.

I will. TY.

Grief.exe

Sweet, I won the System Shock 2 raffle. A bit surprised by it, nevertheless, I'm very interested in trying out the game. Thanks woo and indeed hoo!

Edit: The gift has already been redeemed :(

ib1gIPrczI8Do.gif

at this point i doubt it even happens.

Well they are going to have to make an announcement about Halo 2.

Its only been a couple months since the big leaks happened, software development doesn't just happen over night.

If it hasn't happened by the end of the year, then its probably vaporware. Microsoft doesn't want to make a PC announcement in the middle of their push to sell Xbox One.

JaseC

If it hasn't happened by the end of the year, then its probably vaporware. Microsoft doesn't want to make a PC announcement in the middle of their push to sell Xbox One.

Depends on how it's handled. Microsoft could quite easily re-release Halo: CEA and debut Halo 2: Anniversary on the X1 while simultaneously announcing basic re-releases for the PC. This would give the X1 a modicum of comparative momentum while still maintaining the facade that the company cares at all about its Windows gaming segment.

Dolor

What's up with EA and their 70% sales?

My pet theory is that they are testing the waters for a return to Steam. Typical sale price would be 75%, so 25% of the original price. At 70% off, they are getting 30% of the original price.

30% instead of 25% is a 20% markup which basically makes it almost as good as a sale on Origin (at the 75% off price) and possibly better given that they don't have to develop an entire DD service and provide support in order to use Steam.

Just my pet theory, but if you look at the sale prices on EA games during the summer sale, most were like this. It makes business sense to price differentiate like this given the cut Steam takes, but they were still apparently getting large sales numbers (even for Simcity 4) at this reduced discount.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
And yet you post every time you go to bed, wake up, or do something with your missus.
Poor Grief, why is everybody (OK, just some other guy and you) treating him bad? He's a cool guy, and seems to genuinely care about Steam related stuff.

Not to mention the browser based Battlelog or whatever. Hate that thing.
Never tried the game, but heard lots of bad things about Battlelog. I don't understand how could EA make a game that you have to access through a website, it makes no sense.

Grief.exe

Depends on how it's handled. Microsoft could quite easily re-release Halo: CEA and debut Halo 2: Anniversary on the X1 while simultaneously announcing basic re-releases for the PC. This would give the X1 a modicum of comparative momentum while still maintaining the facade that the company cares at all about its Windows gaming segment.

Quite the facade they have been keeping up for the last decade.

garath

Every time I see Darksiders II on sale I'm tempted. I kind of enjoyed the first one. Backlog too big I think though. Been playing a lot of Recettear.... hmmm..

JaseC

Quite the facade they have been keeping up for the last decade.

That's more or less my point. The past decade has seen Microsoft launch and nurture the Xbox business while, up until a few years ago, not entirely ignoring the PC. With the explosive growth of the PC as a comparable, contemporary platform within recent years whilst most publishers were content to watch it almost crash and burn, it would be to Microsoft's benefit to keep up appearances.

mikeGFG

Banned
The Puppy games sale is incredibly legit.

I highly recommend Ultratron from the bundle. It's a polished Robotron clone with XP, progression, and very slick pixel-art graphics.

JaseC

Every time I see Darksiders II on sale I'm tempted. I kind of enjoyed the first one. Backlog too big I think though. Been playing a lot of Recettear.... hmmm..

Here's my take:

I actually liked the change of direction in general, with the game going from a Zelda/God of War lite hybrid to a frenetic third-person action-adventure romp -- the combat in particular I found to be rather enjoyable. My key issues, however, are that the loot system was clearly designed around the possessed weapon concept, rendering most of it useless (not unlike Blizzard designing Diablo 3's loot system around the RMAH), and the game is simply too big for its own good: while the first two worlds are generously sized, the quests are utterly uninspired and repetitive, requiring copious backtracking, and the latter two worlds are comparatively tiny. The campaign ought to have been limited to two larger worlds in an effort to flesh them out more, and another six months in the oven at the least wouldn't have gone astray. Also, most of the skills on offer are useless; there's one in particular that claims to lure enemies to attack your summoned ghouls rather than you... but it's of no importance as this is the default enemy AI behaviour. Oh, and there are bugs aplenty, some of them game-breaking and virtually none of them patched; the last update was three weeks after release.

The chiefly dull loot combined with the poorly-conceived skill tree means that even if you're enjoying what the game has to offer, you never feel as though you're improving your character in any meaningful way -- again, not unlike Diablo 3.

I do think it's worth picking up on the cheap.

Grief.exe

Now this is something that could be considered a little spammy. I'd suggest putting it in the OP, instead of posting it every time someone says they bought the game :p

I still love you man, don't think I'm angry at you!

ioJP0OadwyIMD.gif

I get the impression not many people read the OP. And every time I post it people say thanks, so I am just trying to get the word out there.

garath

Here's my take:

I do think it's worth picking up on the cheap.

Ah. Appreciate the thoughts. Looks like a pss for me for now.. Character progression is by far one of my favorite things in a game and lack of any meaningful progression of that sort is disappointing.

Tenrius

oh man, I've wanted to play this for awhile but I don't have a console to make that happen. A steam release would be greatly appreciated.

Don't get too excited, it's pretty average to be honest. Lots of jank in various aspects, questionable design decisions, much of the character progression is based on random loot. I bought Dark Arisen at full price and kinda regret it.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Love the art style and game concept, but hatehatehate TD games :D
Only Revenge of the Titans is TD. (...not coincidentally, it's the only game out of this bundle I don't already own)

The others are arcade-inspired shooters with "purchase permanent upgrades for your ship/robot" elements added. One Robotron-esque, one Space Invaders-esque, and one that isn't immediately comparable to anything I can think of. Top-down shooter; you are a robot who can hijack other robots with different stats than you have, and your job is to kill all the other robots with your newfound firepower.

JaseC

Poor Grief, why is everybody (OK, just some other guy and you) treating him bad? He's a cool guy, and seems to genuinely care about Steam related stuff.

I "take issue" purely because he does it to increase his post count. He made this abundantly clear when in a previous thread he posted updates on catching up to the top poster and later admitted he was trying to race to the finish. The palpable sense of hubris is obnoxious. He's the OP but it's not his thread.

His going to bed is completely irrelevant.
His waking up is completely irrelevant.
His "[gf being] 1000 degrees" is completely irrelevant.
His climbing a mountain is completely irrelevant.

It's a "Steam announcements and updates" thread, not Facebook or Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom