• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I just finished the first piece of Bioshock Infinite content - Clash in the Clouds. Shocker, it was a total piece of shit. It's not a horde mode so much as it is a string of combat rooms. This is an important distinction because I hate horde modes, but this appeared to have a touch more effort put in. Unfortunately it doesn't. Each of the areas feel like they just cropped out a small portion of a pre-existing area of the game and slightly tweaked it for each round. It feels lazy and it rarely works well. One example would be when they take away the grind rails during random rounds and it just feels like some designer felt like an asshole the morning he threw it together. It doesn't add anything to the round, it just pisses the player off.

Now I enjoyed the combat in the main game. I found the powers quite gratifying when used in a creative way or combo'd. The only point where I didn't like it in the main game was when they set up really shitty encounters, particularly in the late game. This DLC is almost 100% shitty encounters. I thought the Handy-Man was a pretty poorly designed enemy in the main campaign. However, they give you a decent amount of space when handling them and they don't show up too often. In the DLC they show up way too often and they start throwing two at you at once just for the fuck of it. It shows how un-fun the enemy is too fight and really grated on me. Also, the DLC is locked on the hard difficulty and even with health and shield maxed out you can get 2-hit killed obscenely easily. I chose to play on hard in the main game. I did not chose or want to play on hard here and fuck whoever made the decision.

The final ingredient to the turd sandwich is how they structured it. You have to do all 15 rounds in one go. If you quit at any point, you have to start over from round one again. There is no way to go back and play specific rounds even after completing the whole set. If you die during a round, you can continue at the cost of your ranking. That is fair. What is not fair is the challenge for the round automatically failing. The challenges are actually really fun and force you to play creatively. I want to try them. But the devs give me one shot to get them and if the slightest thing goes wrong, that challenge is screwed and if I want to try it again I have to start the entire set over again. Who thinks that is fun? Did anyone even playtest this? It's just forcing the player to replay rounds over and over again just to get back to the one they want to try because *shocker* another designer felt like being a dick again.

The museum filled with game assets is nice.

Sober

So I just finished the first piece of Bioshock Infinite content - Clash in the Clouds. Shocker, it was a total piece of shit. It's not a horde mode so much as it is a string of combat rooms. This is an important distinction because I hate horde modes, but this appeared to have a touch more effort put in. Unfortunately it doesn't. Each of the areas feel like they just cropped out a small portion of a pre-existing area of the game and slightly tweaked it for each round. It feels lazy and it rarely works well. One example would be when they take away the grind rails during random rounds and it just feels like some designer felt like an asshole the morning he threw it together. It doesn't add anything to the round, it just pisses the player off.

Now I enjoyed the combat in the main game. I found the powers quite gratifying when used in a creative way or combo'd. The only point where I didn't like it in the main game was when they set up really shitty encounters, particularly in the late game. This DLC is almost 100% shitty encounters. I thought the Handy-Man was a pretty poorly designed enemy in the main campaign. However, they give you a decent amount of space when handling them and they don't show up too often. In the DLC they show up way too often and they start throwing two at you at once just for the fuck of it. It shows how un-fun the enemy is too fight and really grated on me. Also, the DLC is locked on the hard difficulty and even with health and shield maxed out you can get 2-hit killed obscenely easily. I chose to play on hard in the main game. I did not chose or want to play on hard here and fuck whoever made the decision.

The final ingredient to the turd sandwich is how they structured it. You have to do all 15 rounds in one go. If you quit at any point, you have to start over from round one again. There is no way to go back and play specific rounds even after completing the whole set. If you die during a round, you can continue at the cost of your ranking. That is fair. What is not fair is the challenge for the round automatically failing. The challenges are actually really fun and force you to play creatively. I want to try them. But the devs give me one shot to get them and if the slightest thing goes wrong, that challenge is screwed and if I want to try it again I have to start the entire set over again. Who thinks that is fun? Did anyone even playtest this? It's just forcing the player to replay rounds over and over again just to get back to the one they want to try because *shocker* another designer felt like being a dick again.

The museum filled with game assets is nice.
Dat stopgap DLC.

denx

I posted this a couple of pages back but nobody responded. :( I'm a Civilization noob so I'm still learning the game. pls halp me!

So I was playing Civ 5 the other day, and by the end of the session the Mongol Empire, France and Byzantium decided to declare war on me more or less at the same time. My military strenght wasn't that great, but I managed to defend my cities every time they were attacked through the game up until that point. This time however, the game thought that I was really screwed, and displayed what I think was a game over message, saying how my empire fell and all that. However, it still allowed me to keep playing more turns even though I supposedly lost the game. What gives? Should I give up that session and start another, or can I still turn things around even when the game thinks I can't?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The final ingredient to the turd sandwich is how they structured it. You have to do all 15 rounds in one go. If you quit at any point, you have to start over from round one again.

The arena DLC for Borderlands is similar to this. Your first time through, you can complete an arena in around 20 minutes or so, but to earn all the achievements (or more to the point, effectively beat the DLC, since they're technically "new" challenges), you need to go through them a second time, complete with an exponential increase in the amount of rounds/waves. IIRC, I crunched the numbers and realised I'd be looking at somewhere around a few hours per arena, so I thought, "bugger that" and moved on.

Got both X-Com and Blacklist coming out tomorrow, hope they turn out well. Only paid $25 for Blacklist and got Conviction with it, and $30 for X-Com and all other the other games in the series on steam so I suppose there's not too much risk taken.

Mattiator

Started spelunky tonight loving it so far! Almost made it through the first 4 levels will accomplish very soon! There is a lot to this game!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Did they update steam or something?

I was playing Arkham City and then it kicks me off the game and Steam reloads into this

That's Big Picture Mode. Click the power button in the upper-right-hand corner to return to desktop mode.

Derrick01

Banned
Are you rocking Nvidia or AMD, because SR3 ran like ass on AMD cards.

It runs awful on my gtx 470 too. I could turn most settings down to low or off and it still won't get a stable 60fps while speeding through town. Seems the most I can do is 40-45. It's not my setup either because I can run much better looking games at 60fps at 1080p with mostly high settings.

Y'all are fucking crazy.

Well to be fair I don't consider it one of the worst games of the generation...yet. I haven't even bothered thinking about that. But it's definitely the worst game of 2013 for me although there's still 4 months left to top it. Splinter Cell looks like a solid contender but I'm not sure if I'll be able to play it before the year ends, nor am I sure I even want to bother with it.

Grief.exe

Well to be fair I don't consider it one of the worst games of the generation...yet. I haven't even bothered thinking about that. But it's definitely the worst game of 2013 for me although there's still 4 months left to top it. Splinter Cell looks like a solid contender but I'm not sure if I'll be able to play it before the year ends, nor am I sure I even want to bother with it.

Why even do that to yourself if you know you are going to hate it?

Sober

Splinter Cell is too safe and middling to be complete shit/as bad as TR, but then again it is Derrick so he'll condemn any AAA-stealth game faster than Stallion shitting on a TD game.

Derrick01

Banned
Why even do that to yourself if you know you are going to hate it?

Boredom usually. I don't like to go much longer than a month without playing something new but that shouldn't be a problem from now until the end of the year. I'm getting SR4 and castlevania lords of shadow within the next week and a half, then it's GTA time until PS4 comes out. There's little time to be bored.

toddhunter said:
So the company making those games gets a sale and keeps making them of course.

I'm not naive enough to believe my $30-$60 is going to make or break a publisher's bank.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You can't. What he is trying to show can't be shown in a Youtube video.
Not the framerate, but you can see how things don't pass me smoothly. They go slow then fast. If even if I turn off everything I can and set the rest to low and run 800x600 it still does this. I tried turning off realtime virus scanning in case that was doing it and it changed nothing.

your PC is smart and trying to keep you away from one of the worst shit games this gen
If I can't find out what's doing it, it will succeed.

Derrick01

Banned
I never throught I would see somebody shitting on Tomb Raider while waiting for Lord of Shadows lol...you guys are funny.

That game was at least kind of fun. It was just tough dealing with 17fps on 360/ps3 and listening to Patrick Stewart's rants, which still aren't as dumb as the story and writing in TR were by the way.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I eat three bowls of raisin bran a day to support my game-shitting lifestyle.

GAFtivia!

Card Boy

Banned
That game was at least kind of fun. It was just tough dealing with 17fps on 360/ps3 and listening to Patrick Stewart's rants, which still aren't as dumb as the story and writing in TR were by the way.

well at least TR 2013 is true to its roots and better than all the Uncharted games. LOS on the hand shits on its legacy and fans by giving us a GOW clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom