• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Steam is downloading a BioShock 2 update. I'm sure Grief already investigated what it's about, so now I'll scan the last few pages of the thread to see if he already talked about it. Right now I'm inclined to believe that it is actually happening, and he was right all along.

Nothing to celebrate just yet, just Direct X and Redist updates. Could be a precursor to a later update.

fantomena

This game + Oculus Rift = FUCKING SCARY SHIT MY PANTS.

Fatal Frame is way scarier than Amnesia.

images

Last question guys. Are Game of Thrones and The Cursed Crade worth it? Heard much shit about them, but I must ask the GAFforce.

It’s a very mixed bag.

The graphics can be atmospheric at times but for the most part, they’re little better than the earliest Xbox 360 games. Arguably worse in some places, probably. The character models and textures can be particularly poor. The sound doesn't fare much better: the primary voice actors do a fairy solid job but the bit-parts can be laughable. The combat is pretty clunky to say the least and is often compared to a poor-man’s Dragon Age: Origins.

It’s one saving grace is the plot. It’s definitely a slow burn, but it’s intriguing in every sense of the word and I thought that the pay-off was great.

On the whole, if you look at it as a video-game, it’s pretty poor but if you’re willing to consider it as an interactive story, you could well have a good time. I vaguely recall reading that George R. R. Martin was pretty happy with the outcome and I suspect that’s probably from a story-telling angle.

On the whole, I certainly enjoyed it, although it didn't really “click” with me until I retried it after abandoning my first playthrough.

Addnan

I remember posting the other day saying the longest I waited for steam support to reply is a day. Sent ticket Monday and now another Monday has come. Excellent. No reply, fuck me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I remember posting the other day saying the longest I waited for steam support to reply is a day. Sent ticket Monday and now another Monday has come. Excellent. No reply, fuck me.

Support fixed my buggered Space Hulk pre-order gift (I'm note sure when exactly as I didn't get a new item notification, and redeeming the gift added the game to my account as a "complimentary" item rather than a gift, which is why it didn't show up in my activity feed) but didn't bother responding to my ticket, so I closed it myself.

Man you really have an image for everything.

I'm nothing if not resourceful. :p

JaseC

Zack Zero, Retrovirus and Sol Survivor all have cards, by the way. The former two in particular still have a couple of foils that are worth more than a few bucks, so if you get in quick and luck is on your side, you'll at least make most of your money back -- and if you snag this one in particular, you're laughing.

Tenrius

What's the justification of Resident Evil 4 not being on Steam? Capcom are pretty bad in general, but there's a ton of other RE games on Steam already, might as well put out the best one.

JaseC

What's the justification of Resident Evil 4 not being on Steam? Capcom are pretty bad in general, but there's a ton of other RE games on Steam already, might as well put out the best one.

It's not an exaggeration to say that RE4's port is one of the worst in PC gaming history.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Sol Survivor -- MB-6CA567D5E147AFEC - Taken by Eanan

I think the official justification is that they don't want to put a shitty port on Steam and they don't want to port RE4HD to PC either.

EDIT : Not to mention the fact that almost every download links to graphic/controls/overhaul mods in the RE modding forums are dead so there would be almost no point in buying the regular PC version since it would be unplayable for most people.

JaseC

http://steamdb.info/app/206420/#section_subs

No idea haven't got a key yet but it's a Brazil only version from the looks of it.

Can't you get banned for using a VPN to activate games?

While using a VPN at all is technically against the SSA, Valve's only cracked down on those who use one to purchase items from the store of a different region -- myself and many other GAFers have occasionally used a VPN to activate a region-locked key or unlock a game early, all without incident.

If I read the steamdb entry correctly, you should be able to play it fine if you activate it through a VPN. You have to find a BR VPN first though.

Maybe someone else can confirm/deny.

There's actually no way to tell if the key itself will be region-locked.

Edit:
Yes you can get banned. I know people who have.

The case of your friend purportedly having his account locked for using a VPN just to activate a game is literally the only such case I've ever come across, so I find his account of events dubious. That said, though, given the phrasing in the SSA, there's always an element of risk involved when using a VPN for such innocuous purposes.

While using a VPN at all is technically against the SSA, Valve's only cracked down on those who use one to purchase items from the store of a different region -- myself and many other GAFers have occasionally used a VPN to activate a region-locked key or unlock a game early, all without incident.

Still makes me really nervous to do it

We know so far that the US keys are definitely region locked, so you'd awesome Brazil will be similar

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah I've heard Valve are harsh on folk who purchase via VPN but not so much on activating region locked keys.

Ah ok. There are already reports of the US keys being region locked, so I was just assuming it was the same thing with BR keys. I was just thinking you could tell if the game had a specific Portugese only version with the steamdb entry.

Grief.exe

Made it to the final boss for the first time. Brought the key down from the mines to create the temple shortcut in two tries.

Killing the final boss is now in sight. Lets do this.

iTs2jKw2iV7KM.gif

Specifically for activating a key? And not buying something on Steam with VPN?

Also I don't think we can be sure that the key will be locked right now.

I must have missed that. So people who have US keys already couldn't use them?

In the Saints Row OT some people got US keys from Amazon and can't use them (Without VPN)

JaseC

Ah ok. There are already reports of the US keys being region locked, so I was just assuming it was the same thing with BR keys. I was just thinking you could tell if the game had a specific Portugese only version with the steamdb entry.

Language support can be ascertained by using the ?cc=xx trick and viewing the game's page.

Thanks, interesting how many comparisons he's making with it. I approve of the sudden influx of open world survival horror games like this. That's just a vague idea of what I think it is so far though obviously, listening...

Made it to the final boss for the first time. Brought the key down from the mines to create the temple shortcut in two tries.

Killing the final boss is now in sight. Lets do this.

Nice, I've died like 250 times and haven't even gotten through the jungles lol.

Salsa

Payday 2 just randomly crashed (game just quite itself back to desktop out of the blue) while running to the van on the last day of a 3-day heist

omg fuck this shit

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
For those that already have an Oculus Rift and think to yourself "I really wish I could look more ridiculous."

z6J7GHd.jpg

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I've been wanting to check out Retrovirus for a while now.

Hmm...
I'm tempted by this. But earlier today I played the new Mario & Luigi demo and loved it, so I want to get that. Even though it's $42 vs the $5.51 that this bundle costs.

Sometimes it's hard to choose. Especially when I should be playing the stuff I already own instead.

Sober

Payday 2 just randomly crashed (game just quite itself back to desktop out of the blue) while running to the van on the last day of a 3-day heist

omg fuck this shit
I heard game hosts were booting out their partners just before jumping into the van at the end. Is this true? Clearly he crashed your game.

Mattiator

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Burnout Steam -- MB-49705632D2E1B4CE - Taken by Pestilence11
Dead Space Ori -- MB-E3F4F291C5C02B50
Burnout Ori -- MB-65ABBF64C228E563
Mirrors Edge Ori -- MB-AB3F4C7095CB8133[/QUOTE]

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just sent Enhanced Steam 4.0 to Mozilla for review. Fixes a few bugs, adds a few new features from the Chrome version.

The usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom