• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawg

Second and final dump, going to bed naow. Love teasing y'all.

2013-08-20_00001qulh6.jpg

2013-08-20_00002u4byy.jpg

2013-08-20_00003wyx66.jpg

2013-08-20_00004dxboz.jpg

2013-08-20_00006zeypk.jpg

2013-08-20_000075dlt4.jpg

2013-08-20_00009jwx9j.jpg

2013-08-20_00010v8z2b.jpg

2013-08-20_000116sy1v.jpg

2013-08-20_00012jizcm.jpg

2013-08-20_00013kcxyz.jpg

2013-08-20_000155olxh.jpg

2013-08-20_00016fmylu.jpg

That last pic is me hanging out with Keith David. Love how you can just call him up and hang around with him. Some Mass Effect references in there too btw.

Gvaz

Banned

That last pic is me hanging out with Keith David. Love how you can just call him up and hang around with him. Some Mass Effect references in there too btw.

DUBSTEP GUN?? Damnit.

Salsa

I like Jim Sterling cause he's a different voice out there. His reviews always get people riled up but if you actually read them they tend to be well constructed and highlight proper issues.

Also, I think we are way too forgiving with scores tbh. Its cool to see the rest of the 1-10 scale used.

That said; I dont really find his shtick funny at all, but more power to him.

kevin1025

Banned

I've ignored looking at anything for this game, I bought it solely on my love of the series. These pictures, though, are more than enough to hype me for tomorrow. Can't wait!!

FloatOn

So xcom might flop....

I very much doubt it.

Destructiod 4.5/10

I saw that. I still doubt it.

I like Jim Sterling cause he's a different voice out there. His reviews always get people riled up but if you actually read them they tend to be well constructed and highlight proper issues.

Also, I think we are way too forgiving with scores tbh. Its cool to see the rest of the 1-10 scale used.

I'm glad that you are able to see it for what it is: a very tired shtick. Being cynical about video games is one of the easiest things a person can do. And for the record, there is nothing well constructed about puppy kicking metaphors.

zkylon

zkylewd
laura bailey is the voice of the saints for me, male or female

plan of doing my woman trapped inside a tiny asian's man saints leader for a while before switching to my default waifu

I don't find many of his reviews very well constructed at all, often full of exaggeration, misunderstandings of mechanics and subsequent incorrect, dismissive explanations of systems.

Think his video work is often much better and more amusing to watch, certainly seems like a nice guy to talk with in person. Even though I disagree with his reviews often I don't think ignoring him out right or anything of that nature is very mature at all. Certainly insulting him is silly, don't really feel Jim is directly hateful towards commentators like people like Kuchera and Giles are.

Derrick01

Banned

Yeah a 4/10 is slightly below average, which a good majority of the AAA games this gen deserve, but give a game that and you'll have some percentage of the internet storming your inbox. Yet we always have a ton of people clamoring for reviewers to use the whole scale. Just not for a game they're looking forward to I guess.

Salsa

laura bailey is the voice of the saints for me, male or female

plan of doing my woman trapped inside a tiny asian's man saints leader for a while

I wanna play as Nolan North but ive heard discouraging things

troy baker is just stuck as the voice of the leader of the saints in my head

good thing you can change whatever the fuck you want in-game tho

Dawg

Nolan North's voice breaks the fourth wall every now and then.

Example: him saying "I'm just an actor!" when aliens are attacking and stuff. I also believe he shouts "IM NOLAN NORTH BITCH"

Salsa

I don't find many of his reviews very well constructed at all, often full of exaggeration, misunderstandings of mechanics and subsequent incorrect, dismissive explanations of systems.

they're very personal, and honestly? that's cool

it's very easy to get a sense of what game you should play or not based on what you like + overall reception in general, so I dont have an issue with it

what's more; specific reviews are fucking useless for people like everyone on GAF (meaning: those keeping attention to the industry).

I like the Giantbomb method. You know those guys, you know what they like, you relate or not to the specifics of their taste, and then they just simply play a game and you see "oh, X likes this game, he likes stuff that I like, and I already thought it looked cool, I might get this"

much more effective than a score number. It applies to GAF and its members as well.

DukeBobby

Yeah a 4/10 is slightly below average, which a good majority of the AAA games this gen deserve, but give a game that and you'll have some percentage of the internet storming your inbox. Yet we always have a ton of people clamoring for reviewers to use the whole scale. Just not for a game they're looking forward to I guess.

Despite the shitstorm that arose due to GTA IV's metacritic score, several people on GAF will still go crazy if GTA V is given an 8 by any critic.

Derrick01

Banned
Despite the shitstorm that arose due to GTA IV's metacritic score, several people on GAF will still go crazy if GTA V is given an 8 by any critic.

I will say if anyone's going to give that game a 7 or less they better not be one of the publications that gave 4 an oscar/10 without a written apology edited in at the end of the review, explaining how stupid they were being.

Salsa

Nolan North's voice breaks the fourth wall every now and then.

Example: him saying "I'm just an actor!" when aliens are attacking and stuff. I also believe he shouts "IM NOLAN NORTH BITCH"

ive heard that the voice samples are far less diverse and come up less often than the other voices tho, wich is disappointing

I like the Giantbomb method. You know those guys, you know what they like, you relate or not to the specifics of their taste, and then they just simply play a game and you see "oh, X likes this game, he likes stuff that I like, and I already thought it looked cool, I might get this"

much more effective than a score number

I don't mind personal reviews, I just feel he and very specifically nearly every member of giantbomb have a tendency of dismissing mechanics for no reason and judging a game based off an incomplete view of the features. Certainly nice to have diversity though, and I bear little ill will towards any of those people. Personally I don't care about scores in general, and would hardly mind if they were done away with. I'm talking about the actual making of the reviews in particular.

I think internet commentators often jump towards insults much too easily which is a bit silly, except like I mentioned before when you have people like Kuchera directly insulting their readership where that's a different story. But even then one should be able to respond maturely by being the better person.

Dawg

ive heard that the voice samples are far less diverse and come up less often than the other voices tho, wich is disappointing

Yeah, I kinda notice this too. I also can't help but see Nolan North shouting in a mic when my character says something :p

FloatOn

Sterling ratings:

Witcher 2: 6

Castlevania Lords of Shadow: 5

Modern Warfare 3: 9

If he gives a game a poor score I'm almost certain I will end up liking it.

In gaf I trust.

Salsa

I don't mind personal reviews, I just feel he and very specifically nearly every member of giantbomb have a tendency of dismissing mechanics for no reason and judging a game based off an incomplete view of the features. Certainly nice to have diversity though, and I bear little ill will towards any of those people.

I think internet commentators often jump towards insults much too easily which is a bit silly, often like I mentioned before when you have people like Kuchera directly insulting their readership that's a different story.

well, personal reviews do tend to be more about the whole package rather than something more professional, but at the end of the day that's kinda what I personally prefer

take Binary Domain. I dont think the shooting's stellar nor anything else mecanics-wise really, yet I fucking LOVE that game, and honestly I can't even put my finger into why, something about it gets me nostalgic and makes me think as if I was playing a fucking rad Dreamcast game made by prime-time SEGA.

I got it because people who I knew who liked rad stuff told me it was rad. I never even paid attention to how it did critically, but it did become sort of an overlooked darling.

In the end it all depends on your personal taste. I just think more professionally constructed reviews tend to be aimed at the metacritic crowd to wich gaming is merely an occasional distraction and dont pick up many games per year.

zkylon

zkylewd
on jim sterling, I used to dread the guy back when he was at on troll-mode but he's earned his good will and jimquisition is a really good show, probably among the best videogame shows right now. I don't really read reviews anymore, but I can at least appreciate he uses the whole 1-10 scale.

but yeah everyone that doesn't like alpha protocol is dead to me :3

I wanna play as Nolan North but ive heard discouraging things

troy baker is just stuck as the voice of the leader of the saints in my head

good thing you can change whatever the fuck you want in-game tho
saints row 2 was a long time ago so I can't remember which voice I used on my dude character, but it was probably troy baker since really why pick anything else

but laura bailey really works, has a weird funny ring to her voice I really like and makes every joke sound better

Female voice #1 IS Saints Row. Church.
yup, I tried the other ones, but you can't beat perfect

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

I'm guessing they told him to say whatever he felt like for most of those, and most of what they got ended up being too obscene to actually use in game.

So, if I were to get a Trackmania 2 game, which one should I get? I always wanted Canyon but 1) it wasn't on Steam, and 2) it was never on sale.

But now there's, what, three different ones? Did this kill the community for all of them, or is one more popular than the rest?

Help, SteamGAF!

Canyon focuses a lot more on drifting which I'm not really a fan of. I mean it works great, but I've never enjoyed drifting. Think the servers are a bit barren for Canyons as well.

Stadium is only 10 dollars and is the one to grab. Very approachable, arcadey driving mechanics and it has more of the crazy tracks the series is famous for. Valley is great as well though, amazing graphically and the mix of very slight drifting, offroading, and some crazy layouts makes it a blast to play. It's my favorite but it's 20 as compared to the 10 dollar stadium.

s7evn

Both fair scores if you're using the whole scale. I like both of those games but there's plenty of faults in both to justify 5s and 6s.

The Witcher 2 had faults to drop it to a 6? I guess if you played at initial launch. Now it's a 9/10 in my book.

Grief.exe

Sterling ratings:

Witcher 2: 6

Modern Warfare 3: 9

Did he review the xbox version of Witcher 2?

This makes no sense, you can go with Derrick's logic and say there are enough faults to decrease the score to 6, but that logic goes out the window with the MW3 review.

Just makes no sense. The only explanation comes down to taste, he enjoys games that are targeted to the lowest common denominator.

Since when was Dungeon Fighter Online (F2P) unavailable to Steam users (in the USA?)

It shows up for me in Steam searches, but whenever I have tried to go to the game's page it redirects me to the store front.

I've never had this happen to me with another game.

Grief.exe

Did he review the xbox version of Witcher 2?

This makes no sense, you can go with Derrick's logic and say there are enough faults to decrease the score to 6, but that logic goes out the window with the MW3 review.

Just makes no sense. The only explanation comes down to taste, he enjoys games that are targeted to the lowest common denominator.

Oh wow, I was right on the money.

Jim Sterling Skyrim - 10/10

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

You misunderstand the nature of Derrick: the starting point is 0; the game was increased to a 6.

Dawg

Both fair scores if you're using the whole scale. I like both of those games but there's plenty of faults in both to justify 5s and 6s.

You would have a point if the reviewer in question reviewed all his games that way. With Skyrim and Bioshock Infinite at 10/10 though, that doesn't seem to be the case huh. Just personal taste.

I mean, the entire reason people don't agree with a 6/10 for a game like Witcher 2 is because mainstream AAA games seem to get better scores despite having equal or more flaws than that game.

Let me put it this way: most games have their flaws, but only games like The Witcher 2 get punished for it.

Derrick01

Banned
The Witcher 2 had faults to drop it to a 6? I guess if you played at initial launch. Now it's a 9/10 in my book.

Easily. At launch the game was far too easy even on Hard because you could abuse quen and an upgraded roll ability. Doing that made the game's crafting and inventory system completely pointless because you could go through most of the game untouched even with the starting gear. The third act was a rushed joke too.

But I can't excuse 10s for skyrim and bioshock infinite.

Megasoum

Banned
I love the idea that the 7th voice is Nolan North but I've heard from different people that they are not really playing the joke that much? Which is dissapointing if true.

Not sure what to do for tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom