• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Spec Ops getting a Mac version

yY0ugmC.png

HoosTrax

Oh, for sure, the railway station was a tricky level. I do love the game's use of crowds though, I think this is the first time I've actually felt that a normal railway station was well represented in a video game.
Ack, for a minute there, I thought you guys were talking about one of the levels in Soldier of Fortune II. Also, I could have sworn the shitty sequel (SoF: Payback?) was on Steam at one point...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Salsa of course
Also, Derrick only lasted like 4 days

Bundles currently going on:

IndieRoyale Prairie Dog
Humble Origin and Weekly
Groupees Be Mine 9
Groupees Mega Meridian
All the Bundlestars

I think that's it

The front page of the IGBW has a list of currently-active bundles. In addition to the more notable ones you've mentioned, there are a few smaller ones.

sibarraz

Banned
I wonder if the pc versions of games like spec ops the line, aliens colonial marines and binary domain ended as commercial sucess after a long time for the companies

Deadbeat

Banned
Ack, for a minute there, I thought you guys were talking about one of the levels in Soldier of Fortune II. Also, I could have sworn the shitty sequel (SoF: Payback?) was on Steam at one point...
That level was annoying as hell. Thankfully stealth levels were generally avoided later on.

edit: In most later levels stealth didnt even matter either. The singleplayer was one weird mish mash of ideas.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Borderlands 2 is 5 bucks here. Is there a date for the goty edition? I want to wait for the goty edition but the price is very tempting.

Not yet. I imagine we won't be getting a formal announcement until at least a month after the release of the final piece of non-trivial DLC.

Hitman:Absolution
And as you say, I love all the challenges you have in some levels, some have so many different possibilities. The
county courthouse
later in the game is very good for that reason and the fact that you can mostly walk around freely.

I felt that spoilered level really highlighted the broken disguise system more than anything because it seemingly demanded that you engage with the system to get through it (unless I missed a hidden vent) or alternatively stood around and waited for triggered events to play through at which point the "unbroken" disguises would become available.

Having finished it over the weekend I think my score would be higher (an arbitrary 7 maybe?) but I also played on Medium after starting on Hard and dropping down after getting frustrated by the disguise system blocking me from being inventive. On Medium the instinct meter really only gets depleted when using the auto-aim mechanic (and since I almost always tried for knock-outs I didn't need it) and for the disguise "booster", which means that I could leisurely use instinct to survey my surroundings, identify what environmental elements could actually be used, and get around camera problems where I couldn't see which direction someone was pointing. On the whole it made the experience more enjoyable and the larger sandbox levels (particularly the Main Street level) were a boatload of fun.

What's depressing is that broken disguise system really crippled the experience because most of the other flaws (some linear levels, occasional dodgy mechanics) were pretty IMO minor and could be excused if the disguise system didn't result in them being dragged out for so much longer. Fortunately IO did two things really right by that excellent challenge system AND making challenge completion independent of level completion; I think I cleared most of the Chinatown options before actually finishing the level due to the removed the penalty from goofing around and experimenting with the environmental options. Again, for anyone who is interested but hasn't played it yet, do so on medium. Playing on harder difficulties only seems to add frustration, not challenge. I can't even fathom what the hardest difficulty is like unless it pulls a Crysis and completely rebalances the game.

derExperte

The wordless reaction gif posts that are getting more popular lately are shitting up the thread considerably more and add nothing.

That's the exact reason why I finally started using ignore. Which makes me a little sad and it doesn't help with quotes, also you then never know if someone already posted what you are about to post.

Like that Don't Starve now has Steam Workshop support. http://store.steampowered.com/news/11309/

HoosTrax

That level was annoying as hell. Thankfully stealth levels were generally avoided later on.

edit: In most later levels stealth didnt even matter either. The singleplayer was one weird mish mash of ideas.
Yeah the stealth bits were not my favorite...

I still have fond memories of that game regardless. I think it's because I like modern shooters, but I hate MMSs that saddle you with AI teammates that constantly rush forward or get in your way. I like being able to tackle missions at my own pace, and without stupid AI bots spoiling my shot. Far Cry 1 was another of my favorite modern shooters of yesteryear.

Do they still make games like that? I guess not.

Addnan

So many hours in SR4 and Bureau that won't count towards time played in the game. Damn you regional unlocks :(

I like seeing how much I have played.

Miker

To The Moon is a pretty great visual novel wrapped in JRPG (Maker) graphics. The dialogue starts out kinda shitty, but the overall arc is great, as is the soundtrack.

derExperte

So many hours in SR4 and Bureau that won't count towards time played in the game. Damn you regional unlocks :(

I like seeing how much I have played.

I once let Metro:LL run in the background to make up for the not recorded time. Should probably have used SAM. Or not cared about it at all.

Khronico

Get To The Moon if you haven't played it yet. I played it earlier this year and its probably one of the most touching stories I've experienced in a video game. A steal at 2.50.

DukeBobby

Fuck it, I'm getting Splinter Cell. I refuse to pay £40 for Saints Row, especially when I can get Splinter Cell for £23 on GMG.

With GTA V and the PS4 on the horizon, I have to go for the cheaper option.

FloatOn

That could be a great appetizer for Amnesia one week later. Wishlisted.

I still need to finish the first Amnesia.

This somewhat new trend of atmospheric first person horror adventure games (Outlast, Amnesia, Routine and Gone Home) is something that I'm glad to see. They are pretty much the polar opposite of the action direction many survival horror games have taken this generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom