• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

Anyone gonna get Outlast on launch?

UPlay would be okay with options. If you want to use UPlay, buy the game on UPlay, if you don't, buy the game on Steam or get it DRM-free on GOG.

And Is till don't see why EA don't want to release their games on Steam. They have had many sales on Steam the past 2 months meaning they get a lot of money from Steam.

XShagrath

So, what's the going rate for Rocksmith 2014 in keys? I'm definitely interested in picking this up at launch, but hopefully not for $60.

How difficult is it to get into the Steam Prison Economy? Or is there a reliable middle-man now that Dunder is out of business?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Where do we go from here?

wXUhb4R.jpg
The cookies have bought my soul...

HoosTrax

I wonder if they underestimated the popularity of the bundle. Seeing it has so much success with the current group, maybe they don't see the need to add the extra games?
I only felt the need to pay $1. Didn't see anything worth shelling out extra for the BTA games for. If they add additional stuff that have Steam keys, I'd bump up my donation.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I never had to deal with Tages. What was so bad about it?

It can cause driver/boot issues and the hardware-based portion of it is ridiculously restrictive -- when benchmarking Anno 2070, Guru3D had to request more activations from Ubi because the GPU changes were requiring re-activation of the game.

Edit: The fun part of that Guru3D story is that Ubi initially refused.

What did it do?

It's not the best source, but quoted from TVTropes:

StarForce, another Copy Protection program. It was so poorly written that upon installation, it would open huge holes in security, crash the computer's OS (Windows Vista in particular would require a reinstall) and could break the disk drive's hardware. For example, it would disable SCSI drives because it assumed any SCSI drive was a virtual CD/DVD drive (as did the OS itself). It doesn't help that newer hard drives and DVD drives use a Serial ATA connection, which resembles SCSI closely enough that operating systems list SATA drives as SCSI.

JaseC

Also, in StarForce's hey-day, it was only possible to remove the driver if the publisher had implemented the option in the game's installer -- there was no uninstall utility at the time, so once installed it was there forever*.

* For a long time.

HoosTrax

While we're on the subject, I recall Civilization I having a somewhat esoteric attempt at "DRM", where I think the game would periodically throw out quiz-style questions, and the answers could only be found in the paper manual. I suppose it was to discourage people from giving copies of the game to their friends, in the days when Internet service was still not widely available and thus sharing a pdf of the manual wasn't feasible.

JaseC

Who could be so evil? I've never heard of it until now, what games used it?

Worms 4 comes to mind. I distinctly remember not being able to play the game and ultimately had to wait almost a year for a "scene group" to crack it.

hlhbk

So when I turned in my 3ds I was able to get $90 to add to my Steam wallet. I may already have them but what are the best games with a great story on Steam. Think of titles that aren't super popular that someone may not have heard of?

JaseC

So when I turned in my 3ds I was able to get $90 to add to my Steam wallet. I may already have them but what are the best games with a great story on Steam. Think of titles that aren't super popular that someone may not have heard of?

To the Moon is apparently a great narrative experience and it's on sale at this very moment.

Thomas was alone, Spec Ops The Line, Binary Domain, Alan Wake, Max Payne 1+2,DLC Quest,Papers Please and many others.

Edit: Waking Mars, Walking Dead,Amnesia,Cthulhu Saves the World (Yeah i liked the Story),Hotline Miami

Turfster

While we're on the subject, I recall Civilization I having a somewhat esoteric attempt at "DRM"

Monkey Island's Dial A Pirate wheel goes here.

But yeah, manual lookup DRM was very common in ye olden days. This went from looking up words on page X line Y word Z to whole recipes you had to use in the game to be able to continue, to "hidden" text you could only see with a special colored filter.

Who could be so evil? I've never heard of it until now, what games used it?

A lot of Eastern European companies still seem to be using it, but a lot of big releases from 2001-2006 used it.

nexen

While we're on the subject, I recall Civilization I having a somewhat esoteric attempt at "DRM", where I think the game would periodically throw out quiz-style questions, and the answers could only be found in the paper manual. I suppose it was to discourage people from giving copies of the game to their friends, in the days when Internet service was still not widely available and thus sharing a pdf of the manual wasn't feasible.

That was standard practice back in the day.

Code wheels, manual word look-ups, and paragraph books.

I hated paragraph books.

edit: beated by fellow geezer.

you done effed up at that price

JaseC

Half-Life was the first game I ever played that required a CD key. I distinctly recall finding a spare rental copy at the semi-local video store and being super excited when I got home, only to get stumped when it came time to find the bloody thing. I believe the CD keys were removed from the CD cases, since people were prone to breaking them, and instead were affixed to manuals, however in my case this hadn't been done and so I had no way of installing the game as the store didn't have any spare copies to lift keys from.

I eventually did get the game for my birthday the following year, though. I remember that day so vividly.

It is great. :)

And rather short, too, IIRC. I really ought to play it one day. :p

hlhbk

Thomas was alone, Spec Ops The Line, Binary Domain, Alan Wake, Max Payne 1+2,DLC Quest,Papers Please and many others.

Edit: Waking Mars, Walking Dead,Amnesia,Cthulhu Saves the World (Yeah i liked the Story),Hotline Miami

Huh I never though Binary Domain would be on this list. I played like the first 2 missions and never saw much of a narrative. Does it come later?

Worth mentioning that he can get both Thomas Was Alone and Amnesia in the weekly Humble Bundle.

JaseC

Alice: Madness Returns has a rather nice story if you're one for subtext and metaphor. The dialogue is well-written, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom