• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolor

I really hope Castlevania: LoS does well. I haven't played it, but I think it's very much the type of game I would like to have more of available on Steam.

The_Monk

I might double dip on the Humble Bundle.

My wife found out it had Sims 3 and today's our anniversary.. :D

EDIT:
We played the console version.. it's not a bad price considering the add-ons, etc. It's a Sims game though, you know what you're getting.

Congrats to both of you fellow GAFfer, hope you two are happy :)

I've played BF3 already only on console (*runs*) and never tried Sims by myself. Dead Space 3 seems tempting even if on Origin but the rest I've tried/played on the PS3 despite not having them on Steam (or Origin).

On a side note, just saw the Daily deal. It's an amazing buy considering the time and the price. The Story is interesting, the soundtrack is unique but there's no gameplay. Which is okay for me becayse I played for the Story. Took me around 4 hours to finish if anyone's interested.

hlhbk

I really hope Castlevania: LoS does well. I haven't played it, but I think it's very much the type of game I would like to have more of available on Steam.

I played probably the first hour and a half of it on PS3 and loved it. I hear it gets even better about 5 hours in. I stopped playing after hearing the rumours about a PC version a year and a half ago cause the performance on consoles was teribble. After playing the demo boy am I glad I waited!

Grief.exe

I know this is a bit off topic, but are we allowed to post kick starters on GAF? Video Games Live put up a kick starter and I wanted to share it with GAF.

No reason not to. They generally are PC games and use Steamworks to get free distribution to their backers.

Seems relevant.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Are you still on that? Think you have earned an upgrade!

I have a 1680x1050 monitor, and honestly I'm getting steady and high performance on everything I play. I'm playing Dead Space 3 on Origin (shitty game, shitty service) and haven't had any performance issues running at native res on high or whatever settings. I encode a ton of video, do lots of programming. Never ran into any performance hurdles. I've got about 12TB of storage right now, so storage isn't an issue either.

I was planning on upgrading this year, but there's no easy upgrade path and I don't have the money for a full new box:
- Replace processor: requires me to replace motherboard (which has a dead onboard NIC anyway so honestly...) and PSU
- Replace motherboard: old motherboard is DDR2, so must replace RAM
- Video card is already a bottleneck, so I'd have to replace that
- Well if I'm replacing everything in the case, I should probably get a case with user-accessible drive bays
- Monitor is DVI/VGA only and 1680x1050 and has no built-in speakers or USB.

Also I want to upgrade my storage but my system drive is that 500GB unit--I'd replace with a 4TB, but the motherboard is BIOS not UEFI so I can't boot a 4TB drive, which means I'd need to swap out another drive, but my other drives are 2TB/3TB so that makes no sense, so that means I'd have to externally mount the 4TB drive, move a 2TB drive to the 4TB drive, and then format and boot the 2TB drive, and then install the 4TB drive as a secondary drive.

I planned to upgrade this summer because a friend qualified for Intel Retail Edge's massive discount program but it didn't end up happening. It'll be at least another year.

kennah

I have a 1680x1050 monitor, and honestly I'm getting steady and high performance on everything I play. I'm playing Dead Space 3 on Origin (shitty game, shitty service) and haven't had any performance issues running at native res on high or whatever settings. I encode a ton of video, do lots of programming. Never ran into any performance hurdles. I've got about 12TB of storage right now, so storage isn't an issue either.

I was planning on upgrading this year, but there's no easy upgrade path and I don't have the money for a full new box:
- Replace processor: requires me to replace motherboard (which has a dead onboard NIC anyway so honestly...) and PSU
- Replace motherboard: old motherboard is DDR2, so must replace RAM
- Video card is already a bottleneck, so I'd have to replace that
- Well if I'm replacing everything in the case, I should probably get a case with use-accessible drive bays
- Monitor is DVI/VGA only and 1680x1050 and has no built-in speakers or USB.

I planned to upgrade this summer because a friend qualified for Intel Retail Edge's massive discount program but it didn't end up happening. It'll be at least another year.

Your Powersupply is still good enough for a mid-range GPU. Power consumption has gone down in recent years. The onboard video for a Haswell is better than what you have right now, so board/chip/ram for ~$400 and you've got a pretty solid upgrade with a good base to add a GPU into.

EDIT: You don't want a 4TB drive as your boot drive, you want a 250 gig SSD :p

Tenrius

I might double dip on the Humble Bundle.

My wife found out it had Sims 3 and today's our anniversary.. :D

EDIT:
We played the console version.. it's not a bad price considering the add-ons, etc. It's a Sims game though, you know what you're getting.

I have a spare The Sims 3 key (well, keys, the full set), it's yours if you want it.

Grief.exe

Haswell is stop gap for what. Looks like a revision of Haswell next year, so nothing big is coming up. GPU yeah, 8xx and 9xxx will hopefully be something big.

Has well is not a significant performance increase over Ivy/Sandy.
There are not many justifiable reasons to shell out the money to upgrade if you are running a sandy or ivy set up. Just a stopgap measure.

Broad well is just a slight improvement and dieshrink of the Broadwell design.

Skylake is the next jump forward for Intel processors. Hopefully coming in 2015.

hlhbk

So I am considering one final playthrough of Arkham City and actually taking my time to finish all of the side content this time. I just wish they would patch out GFWL already so I can get the Steam Acheivements.

Addnan

There are not many justifiable reasons to shell out the money to upgrade if you are running a sandy or ivy set up. Just a stopgap measure.

Skylake is the next jump forward for Intel processors. Hopefully coming in 2015.

Yeah, I know. If you are on a Phenom though, its a huge upgrade.

maneil99

Don't hold out for the 9000 series, announcement is September 25th, seems to still be 28mm and leaks report it launch below 600$ which means it most likely will not be as fast as a Titan nor a 780.

Turfster

So I am considering one final playthrough of Arkham City and actually taking my time to finish all of the side content this time. I just wish they would patch out GFWL already so I can get the Steam Acheivements.

Arkham City's steam achievements have always worked.
I got a few of them before I got fed up with GFWL eating my savegame and switched to the PS+ copy I got.
Definitely worth still waiting for GFWL to be patched out tho.

Grief.exe

Don't hold out for the 9000 series, announcement is September 25th, seems to still be 28mm and leaks report it launch below 600$ which means it most likely will not be as fast as a Titan nor a 780.

Not sure where you thought I implied anything referencing the 9000 series.

Not sure if this was already mentioned, but that new RPG, Lords of the Fallen, had a new trailer come out and was confirmed Steam. From a lead creator of The Witcher 2, so I am quite intrigued.

Want to see some gameplay for that title. My interest is piqued though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Do you mean Arkham Asylum? Because Arkham City does have Steam achievements already.

Hinomura

Good luck Gaf!
ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

[Steam] Larva Mortus -- MB-F0AE91F37C7D8103 - Taken by Wok
[Steam] Crysis 2 -- MB-1495BAC91E655723 - Taken by The_Monk
[Origin] Mirror's Edge -- MB-B36E527F3460E213
[Origin] Crysis 2 -- MB-5E4FD67E980D1F09
[Steam] Sol Survivor -- MB-080CD0C5CF2793D4 - Taken by alr1ght
[Steam] Eador Masters of the Broken World Plus Genesis -- MB-0A5A2F8EF790D034 - Taken by Deques
[Origin] Dead Space -- MB-D0A547240497FC13
[Steam] Burnout Paradise -- MB-1FD63A19789872CE - Taken by sibarraz
[Origin] Medal of Honor -- MB-EC532935F2C9B66E
[Steam] Dead Space -- MB-D3B94D003120B375
[Steam] Mirror's Edge -- MB-139249C9971EEB0D - Taken by Rob N Banks
[Origin] Burnout Paradise -- MB-3E47144151EAA80E
[Steam] The Whispered World -- MB-15553CEC7F0592BA - Taken by Cyberquake

Arkham City's steam achievements have always worked.
I got a few of them before I got fed up with GFWL eating my savegame and switched to the PS+ copy I got.
Definitely worth still waiting for GFWL to be patched out tho.

Once they patched out the game I'll play it again, also they need to patch DMC4 :D

FloatOn

I now know what it is like to be an Alpha Protocol fan.

I ran into some serious frame rate dips in The Bureau and I don't give a shit. Game is still good.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
EDIT: You don't want a 4TB drive as your boot drive, you want a 250 gig SSD :p

Gaming is not my primary use case, media is. I don't have the money for the kind of NAS outlay I'd need to serve off standalone drivers rather than a file server. I could only justify an SSD if I had a motherboard with a ton of SATA ports (at least 8, ideally 10 or 12). I have 6 hard drives. I use an external optical drive. Do many consumer mobos in 2013 have 10 SATA ports?

BTW I got your PM a few days ago I just haven't responded because I'm doing some behind the scenes stuff that is occupying my ModBot time--I'll let you know when I have the chance to help you out with it.

Dolor

I was hoping for some gameplay footage/details to trickle out of Gamescom, but alas.

Want to see some gameplay for that title. My interest is piqued though.

Yeah, for now the lineage of The Witcher 2 is enough for me to be looking forward to it. I don't pre-purchase much though, so it still has a ways to go to convince me of that. Still, I like the world it's building, so it looks promising to me.

kennah

Gaming is not my primary use case, media is. I don't have the money for the kind of NAS outlay I'd need to serve off standalone drivers rather than a file server. I could only justify an SSD if I had a motherboard with a ton of SATA ports (at least 8, ideally 10 or 12). I have 6 hard drives. I use an external optical drive.

BTW I got your PM a few days ago I just haven't responded because I'm doing some behind the scenes stuff that is occupying my ModBot time--I'll let you know when I have the chance to help you out with it.

All good. And the recommendation is for general Windows not Gaming anyway. Having a pair of SSDs (one for OS and one for Media Cache, depending on your software) would probably make quite the difference - but yeah, I understand. We actually have a fair amount of discussions about the different needs between Gaming and Media Production.

The_Monk

I imagine it's just for completing the game, so might as well replay the whole thing. The game deserves it, I'd say.

I'm not so sure about that fellow GAFfer, but sure, why not.

To me it was a journey. One of those you take once and then you let the memories remember you the good time you had during the whole experience. To me it would be worth for the Piano tunes.

Thanks a lot for The Whispered World!

Let me know your opinion later on fellow GAFfer. It seems you also have great tastes to Point & Click games so I hope you enjoy that one.

EDIT: Also, thanks for Crysis 2 Hinomura!

Dawg

Well guys, I've finally seen TW3 gameplay at gamescom.

I'm gonna type out the entire thing when I get home, but I'd just like to say that it is everything you're hoping for and it will even surpass your expectations. The open world is really an amazing addition and they did some cool NPC stuff. A lot of random events that impact the world as well.

denx

Well guys, I've finally seen TW3 gameplay at gamescom.

I'm gonna type out the entire thing when I get home, but I'd just like to say that it is everything you're hoping for and it will even surpass your expectations. The open world is really an amazing addition and they did some cool NPC stuff. A lot of random events that impact the world as well.

I'M HYPED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom