• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookiejet

It can cause driver/boot issues and the hardware-based portion of it is ridiculously restrictive -- when benchmarking Anno 2070, Guru3D had to request more activations from Ubi because the GPU changes were requiring re-activation of the game.

Edit: The fun part of that Guru3D story is that Ubi initially refused.

Oh, Guru3d! I remember that site. From back when overclocking was a thing. (Is that still a thing?)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah (Noctua NH-D14). Oddly enough I couldn't get manual settings to take, so in the end I just selected the automatic preset for 4.6 and the system hasn't skipped a beat since (I tried 4.8, but no dice).

Addnan

Most 2600K can do 4.6 on air. My 3570K can do 4.6 on air and that is not supposed to be a great overclocker. I leave it at 4.5 though. A little too high temps.

Oh, Guru3d! I remember that site. From back when overclocking was a thing. (Is that still a thing?)

It's easier than ever. For low level overclocks you literally just change one number up with a K processor.

Its a miracle I got that much considering it was from gamestop.

I figured as much.
QRxmLQI.png

ss_lemonade

So when I turned in my 3ds I was able to get $90 to add to my Steam wallet. I may already have them but what are the best games with a great story on Steam. Think of titles that aren't super popular that someone may not have heard of?
OG 3ds or xl? I'm kind of thinking of trading in my 3ds for an xl unit

JaseC

I have to say, I'm glad that I opted to pay the premium for the 2600K over the 2500K as I knew we'd be getting into the next generation of consoles with Intel still locking its hex-core offerings behind the "enthusiast" price bracket. I'm hoping the company finally gets its thumb out of its arse next year with Broadwell -- give me that ~$350 eight-core 5600K.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Yeah (Noctua NH-D14). Oddly enough I couldn't get manual settings to take, so in the end I just selected the automatic preset for 4.6 and the system hasn't skipped a beat since (I tried 4.8, but no dice).

I meant stock cooler, but yeah you have more speed than you'll ever need.

Cth

So when I turned in my 3ds I was able to get $90 to add to my Steam wallet. I may already have them but what are the best games with a great story on Steam. Think of titles that aren't super popular that someone may not have heard of?

Some super popular, some not.. mostly from my inventory, not definitive by any means.

To the Moon
YMMV, borrows a lot from Eternal Sunshine.. the ending is worth it, drags a little, has silly moments

The Swapper
Lengthy philosophical, creepy sci-fi story

Gone Home
YMMV, people love it or hate it. Set in the 90s, game of discovery finding out what happened to your family after a trip abroad

Alan Wake
Stephen King meets Twin Peaks

Braid
Time manipulation platformer with a story twist.

Monster Loves You
Choose your own adventure type story in the style of the old 1980s game Alter-Ego

The Stanley Parable
Non-steam, free, stand alone add using Garys Mod/Source Engine

Thomas Was Alone
Found in a lot of bundles recently, fairly cheap

Waking Mars
Metroidvania style exploration of Mars, bringing it back to life

Cart Life
Simulation game about harsh reality of street vendors

Papers Please
Lots of endings, simulation game of being a border crossing inspector

Kentucky Route Zero
Episodic, halfway through, very atmospheric

Mark of the Ninja, Guacamelee
Platformers - stealth/fighting

Gunpoint
Detective/stealth

Pid
Tough platformer

Shadowrun Returns
3-4 storylines with more to come; turn based strategy rpg

JaseC

I meant stock cooler, but yeah you have more speed than you'll ever need.

Oh, nah, that thing I just threw into the bin. :p I gave my old CPU + HSF (E6420 and... something high-end) to a mate so he could at least run CS:S well, but his original motherboard died earlier in the year and LGA 775 was being well and truly phased out by motherboard manufacturers at this point, so he had no choice but to purchase a cheap board -- I think he managed around +100MHz (I had it running at 3.2GHz -- served me well).

Addnan

I have to say, I'm glad that I opted to pay the premium for the 2600K over the 2500K as I knew we'd be getting into the next generation of consoles with Intel still locking its hex-core offerings behind the "enthusiast" price bracket. I'm hoping the company finally gets its thumb out of its arse next year with Broadwell -- give me that ~$350 eight-core 5600K.

If you want hexacore and above just go with enthusiast processors. The hexacore is a lot more pricey though. Ivy-Enthusiast hexacore will launch soon and Sandy is already out. But really the next gen CPUs can't even touch a 2500K. Intel won't step their game up until AMD step their piece of shit CPU up which I don't think they know how.

edit: lol. Just saw you wrote that. I am tired. second part is still relevant :p

denx

Is there still a possibility of more games being added to the Humble Bundle today?

I dunno. Usually the extra games are added at the start of the second week of the sale, but nothing has happened so far. I've been reloading the Humble Bundle page all day to see if new games have been added. >_<

JaseC

If you want hexacore and above just go with enthusiast processors. The hexacore is a lot more pricey though. Ivy-Enthusiast hexacore will launch soon and Sandy is already out. But really the next gen CPUs can't even touch a 2500K. Intel won't step their game up until AMD step their piece of shit CPU up which I don't think they know how.

edit: lol. Just saw you wrote that. I am tired. second part is still relevant :p

Haha, yeah, it's been downhill for AMD ever since Core2Duo in 2006. From a business standpoint there's no blaming Intel for its pricing tiers, but I wish it'd throw those of us who don't want to spend $500+ on a CPU a bone.

Edit: I'd begrudgingly accept hex-cores moving down to the mainstream bracket with octo-cores occupying the enthusiast offerings.

hlhbk

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hlhbk, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Botanicula -- MB-3BF7EB9399D0E0E4 - Taken by denx
Amnesia: The Dark Descent -- MB-585E506902DCD631 - Taken by georaldc

Giving 2 keys away from the Humble Bundle that I already own. Enjoy!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Haha, yeah, it's been downhill for AMD ever since Core2Duo in 2006. From a business standpoint there's no blaming Intel for its pricing tiers, but I wish it'd throw those of us who don't want to spend $500+ on a CPU a bone.

There was a brief period where the Phenom II line had a better bang-for-buck ratio than comparable mid-end Core 2 processors.

I know because I have a Phenom II processor:

JifMGEs.png

(I've since added 4GB of RAM)

Dolor

My 3570k is oc'ed to 4.6 too on air and those are heavier on temps than sandybridge CPUs

My 4770K arrives tomorrow, but all I really want to get out of it is 4.2GHz as I realize Haswell is not the best OCer. The board I got (ASUS Formula VI) is supposed to be good for OCing, so maybe I'll get lucky and get 4.4GHz out of it.

My primary concern though will still be noise. Not interested in a little more speed if I have to hear my PC!

ss_lemonade

Giving 2 keys away from the Humble Bundle that I already own. Enjoy!
Nice, entered for the horror game.

How's the Sims 3 by the way? I sort of enjoyed the original Sims years back with all its expansions and stuff when I first got into pc gaming. Don't know if I would feel the same way now lol

My 4770K arrives tomorrow, but all I really want to get out of it is 4.2GHz as I realize Haswell is not the best OCer. The board I got (ASUS Formula VI) is supposed to be good for OCing, so maybe I'll get lucky and get 4.4GHz out of it.

My primary concern though will still be noise. Not interested in a little more speed if I have to hear my PC!

A 4.2ghz 4770k is still plenty fast and Haswells run much better than previous CPUs if you're into emulation but they do get hot. What will you use for cooling?

Addnan

There was a brief period where the Phenom II line had a better bang-for-buck ratio than comparable mid-end Core 2 processors.

JifMGEs.png

Are you still on that? Think you have earned an upgrade!

I was on a E8400 up until earlier this year, can still run games at low settings. Also have the Antec 300 with the old PC. Thing has horrible cable hiding places

hlhbk

Nice, entered for the horror game.

How's the Sims 3 by the way? I sort of enjoyed the original Sims years back with all its expansions and stuff when I first got into pc gaming. Don't know if I would feel the same way now lol

Is the sims question directed to me or the whole thread? I am asking cause I have never played a sims game :D

Turfster

Brother!
I do most of my gaming on a Phenom II X4 925 (and no, I don't have to set everything to lowest ;)

kennah

Please don't try to do this with the stock cooler.

(Any good air cooler that you get will also likely be silent)

JaseC

JifMGEs.png

A spark of hope that was quickly extinguished. :( At least AMD remains competitive in the lower end -- I'd rather not imagine a world where Intel has no competition whatsoever in the desktop market.

I still need to finish The Dark Descent before A Machine for Pigs comes out.

I really, really don't want to, though.

When I had to rush through the Justine DLC back during the Portal 2 early release ARG, I made sure to mute the game. I've played nothing else of Amensia... but I did pre-order AMFP.

Actiss

What kind of black magic did Konami employ to make Castlevania: Lords of Shadow run at 60fps and look amazing on my old, modestly-spec'd PC? I just tried the demo and, wow, I'm incredibly tempted to preorder the game.

ss_lemonade

Is the sims question directed to me or the whole thread? I am asking cause I have never played a sims game :D
Lol sorry, it was a question for the thread.

I might just go purchase the humblebundle though since its only $4-ish and give away the other stuff I already own via modbot.

Dolor

Please don't try to do this with the stock cooler.

(Any good air cooler that you get will also likely be silent)

Thanks for the tip, but I have an H90 push/pull coming as well :). Sorry for the OT, but I am pretty damn excited about it.

Cth

I might double dip on the Humble Bundle.

My wife found out it had Sims 3 and today's our anniversary.. :D

EDIT:
We played the console version.. it's not a bad price considering the add-ons, etc. It's a Sims game though, you know what you're getting.

hlhbk

I know this is a bit off topic, but are we allowed to post kick starters on GAF? Video Games Live put up a kick starter and I wanted to share it with GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom