• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So double dipping on Steam is all nice and good but the other way is a no no? :p
If you don't get any benefits for getting it on console and don't plan on playing it there then yes, indeed.

If the game is on a portable console, like Chronomac said, then it could be worth it. Else I don't see the point.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Yes, thank you very much.

Aegis 7 forums said:
The Underlying Facts:

The Dead Space series of games does not run on Unreal Engine 3. Instead, both games run on an internally-developed EA engine. This engine allows the complex geometry that we see in both games, and is in general a very, VERY highly-optimized piece of software.

Sometimes, it's TOO optimized.

Because of the way the engine works, game speed is tied directly to framerate. If your PC has anything approaching a modern video card, your uncapped framerate will be extremely high. This can lead to screen tearing, laggy mouse controls, wonky physics, and numerous control issues.

Especially affected are the sequences where mashing one key over and over is necessary to throw an enemy off or succeed in some other way. If your uncapped framerate is exceedingly high, the game speed is similarly high, and the game expects a completely unreasonable rate to pass the sequence. This has acted as a roadblock for many PC gamers.

The Solution:

So, what's a PC gamer to do? Well, since the issues are caused by a framerate (and thus, a game speed) that's too high, it's logical that if you lower the framerate to something more reasonable, the game will start behaving better.

The usual method for limiting framerate in video games is an option called V-sync. V-sync is short for Vertical Synchronization. It tells your graphics card to not push out so many frames per second, and to instead draw each new frame in sync with the refresh rate of your monitor. Both Dead Space games come with V-sync in their graphics options:

4258dead-space-1-v-sync.jpg

369dead-space-2-v-sync.jpg

Unfortunately, the V-sync included in the graphics options caps the framerate at HALF of most monitors' refresh rate. the game renders at 30 fps instead of 60 fps (which would match the 60 Hz monitor refresh rate). So, turning V-sync on in the games introduces a whole new set of problems, namely, mouse lag and generally sluggish controls. It's fairly obvious why that is - by halving the framerate, you've slowed the game itself down by the same amount.

So it looks like the V-sync in the game options won't help us. Now we need to find a way to make the game render frames at exactly 60 fps. That's the sweet spot that we're aiming for if we want the game to run at the right speed.

Fortunately, two free programs are available that make this process fairly painless:

Nvidia Inspector, if your computer has an Nvidia graphics card:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/NVIDIA-I...load-2612.html

and Radeon Pro, if your computer has an ATI graphics card:
http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/

Both programs allow you to tweak game-specific profile settings at the driver level. Now, I only have experience with Nvidia Inspector, not Radeon Pro (since I have an Nvidia card), so the instructions below are only for that program. I expect that both programs are similarly constructed, though.

Step 1: Crawl into the dark machine (just kidding!) Actually, download Nvidia Inspector. It's not a conventional program that needs to be installed, as it runs straight from the program folder you extract it to.

Step 2: Double click on the nvidiaInspector file in the program folder you extracted it to. You should then see this screen:

8965button.png

Obviously, your particular graphics card may have different stats. That's not the point, though. You want to click the button outlined in red. That will take you to the Elevated Settings part of the program. At this point, you may get a prompt asking if you want to allow this program access to your computer. Say yes.

Step 3: Find the Dead Space 2 profile. When the Elevated Settings comes up, the top bar and search box will look like this:

8773default.jpg

Type in Dead Space in the search box, and a drop down auto-suggest menu should have Dead Space 2 as an option. Click it.

4899deadspace.jpg

Now you're at the application-specific settings for Dead Space 2. There's a LOT of options here to mess around with, but you're going to ignore most of them for now. Scroll down until you get to here:

3378V-sync-option-off.jpg

Click on the text that says "Use the 3D application setting" and a drop-down menu should appear. Select "Force On". Also, just above that, click the "Off" setting for Triple Buffering and change that to "On".

7765V-sync-option-on.jpg

After that, look at the upper right top side of the window, and click the "Apply Changes" button. The window might flicker briefly. And that's it, you're done! The same steps work for the original Dead Space, if you have problems there.

Hopefully this will address some of the persistent problems that the Dead Space PC playerbase has been experiencing.

The pictures are out of date now, but that's what they have. All I did was open Nvidia control panel by right-clicking on my desktop and turn on vsync for all of the Dead Space games. I also used SweetFX setting similar to these and downsampled to get some more AA. It looks a bit washed out and dull in comparison, but the colors are nice and rich with some tweaking.

How do you fix mouse sensitivy problems on Intel Integrated Graphics though?

Can you use D3DOverrider? I haven't tried it, but I think it should work if you use it to force vsync to keep it at 60 fps.

I've been on a Build engine kick lately having just finished the Duke Nukem 3D Redux, so I thought to go onto the next one and start playing Shadow Warrior Redux.

I played Duke and Blood back in the day, but the Shadow Warrior experience is a new one to me and man, this game is just bad. Pretty much all of the enemies are terrible; the fodder types are equipped with hitscan SMGs, the kamikaze ones that waste time turning into spirits that teleporting around, damage sponge melee types, fast moving hornets that home in on you and have troubling hit detection. It just sucks. It doesn't help that all the weapons feel like the shoddiest of any I've used, I don't know how they did it but they made a shotgun not satisfying to use. And yeah, the humour in this game is just awful, it's not even something you can enjoy ironically.

Disappointed with Shadow Warrior all around.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The pictures are out of date now, but that's what they have. All I did was open Nvidia control panel by right-clicking on my desktop and turn on vsync for all of the Dead Space games. I also used SweetFX setting similar to these and downsampled to get some more AA. It looks a bit washed out and dull in comparison, but the colors are nice and rich with some tweaking.

I'm not sure why the person mentions turning triple buffering on as the option applies only to OpenGL games -- it doesn't affect D3D renderers at all, which is why D3DOverrider is so popular.

Grief.exe

I've been on a Build engine kick lately having just finished the Duke Nukem 3D Redux, so I thought to go onto the next one and start playing Shadow Warrior Redux.

I played Duke and Blood back in the day, but the Shadow Warrior experience is a new one to me and man, this game is just bad. Pretty much all of the enemies are terrible; the fodder types are equipped with hitscan SMGs, the kamikaze ones that waste time turning into spirits that teleporting around, damage sponge melee types, fast moving hornets that home in on you and have troubling hit detection. It just sucks. It doesn't help that all the weapons feel like the shoddiest of any I've used, I don't know how they did it but they made a shotgun not satisfying to use. And yeah, the humour in this game is just awful, it's not even something you can enjoy ironically.

Disappointed with Shadow Warrior all around.

The new Shadow Warrior by Flying Wild Hog is looking amazing though.

The first person melee combat looks ridiculous, and you know they can design great shooting gameplay.

Deliverance

Neo Member
No one here is interested in Shelter, the badger simulator? I'm considering pre-ordering, I think it looks gorgeous:
I'm trying to wait until some impressions, but I might bite and I certainly shouldn't, I've spent a lot this month already, damn...

v0rtikal

I guess there's nothing to lose by asking this but... does anyone have a spare copy of Battlefield 3 from the humblebundle? I'd gladly give that generous soul Origin keys in return if needed (Mirror's Edge - Dead Space - Burnout Paradise, etc)

r3n4ud

No one here is interested in Shelter, the badger simulator? I'm considering pre-ordering, I think it looks gorgeous:

I'm trying to wait until some impressions, but I might bite and I certainly shouldn't, I've spent a lot this month already, damn...

Can't wait for it! Preordered today actually.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I'm not sure why the person mentions turning triple buffering on as the option applies only to OpenGL games -- it doesn't affect D3D games at all, which is why D3DOverrider is so popular.

What are the benefits of using D3DOverrider instead of just forcing vsync through the control panel? I tried using it at first, but I couldn't get it working properly and just opted to take the easy route.

New client beta-

- always show a free game in library if user owns any of it's DLC

I am guessing they mean if a free to play game has dlc bought then it stays even if the game is uninstalled?

JaseC

What are the benefits of using D3DOverrider instead of just forcing vsync through the control panel? I tried using it at first, but I couldn't get it working properly and just opted to take the easy route.

Some people find that the option in the Nvidia CP isn't entirely reliable.

Sure, that sounds better. ETA?

Late August is the current aim. The site is still being built.

The new Shadow Warrior by Flying Wild Hog is looking amazing though.

The first person melee combat looks ridiculous, and you know they can design great shooting gameplay.
I don't have any doubts that they could make a better game than the original, but seeing what the original is I'd almost rather they made something new instead of tethering to the Shadow Warrior name.

Gimme Blood Redux pls.

Oreoleo

Why is it that this 1.4GB Payday 2 update required making a full second copy of the game (18GB) in the downloading folder? My 120GB SSD does not appreciate this in the slightest.

E: Yup, download finished, back up to 20+ GB free space. So dumb. Now to download Dishonored again.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I thought I was pretty close to finishing Assassin's Creed, having just completed memory 13. And now it seems the game decided to slap me in the face and throw a huge fetch quest in front of me, before it will let me unlock the next memory. I'm actually laughing right now, like I realize I'm in the middle of a nightmare and I know I can't be harmed, but I still can't force myself to wake up. It's like Ubi was listening to all of my complaints about this game and decided to annoy me even further.

I can't even gather the strenght to get angry or mad at this. I'll suck it up and play along, like the good lapdog I am. After all, I'm not playing Assassin's Creed 2; AC2 has been playing me instead.

IIRC, the Control Panel option only applies to OpenGL games (JaseC seems to confirm this above). As far as I know, D3DOverrider is the only way to force it in Direct3D games (which most games are).

JaseC

From the thread regarding AoE Online and MS Flight being pulled from Steam:

The latest Steam beta has the following update:

General:
- always show a free game in library if user owns any of it's DLC

So I am guessing it was in response to this being pulled.

It's about damn time! I thought I'd purchased the AoE Online DLC that adds the SP skirmish mode/s, but apparently not. :(

IIRC, the Control Panel option only applies to OpenGL games (JaseC seems to confirm this above). As far as I know, D3DOverrider is the only way to force it in Direct3D games (which most games are).

The traditional vsync/double-buffering option works with D3D games.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
From the thread regarding AoE Online and MS Flight being pulled from Steam:

It's about damn time! I thought I'd purchased the AoE Online DLC that adds the SP skirmish mode/s, but apparently not. :(

That's good news. I only have the Celebration Grab Bag (4th of July?) DLC because it was on sale and said it was limited time, so I figured why not pick it up before the DLC is pulled. Didn't figure the entire game would be pulled, but I can confirm Age of Empires Online is showing in my library.

Microsoft Flight School I don't own anything from so poof.

Omega

Banned
@Cody - Wat. You've been a member for 4 years and never noticed this thread? lol

Why is it that this 1.4GB Payday 2 update required making a full second copy of the game (18GB) in the downloading folder? My 120GB SSD does not appreciate this in the slightest.

E: Yup, download finished, back up to 20+ GB free space. So dumb. Now to download Dishonored again.

this made me actually bother to check out what the patch did, because my Payday 2 is always downloading something.

Patch #5 sounds amazing. maybe now this game will be more than just Bank Heist and Jewelry Store

DaBoss

Come on guys, stop picking on Cody. This thread was probably in red font so he couldn't notice it.

If you understood that reference, then you are a cool person

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Hey Jase now we can go through and buy a DLC for all F2P games which have them so that we "own" them in our library for good! Praise Valve giving us more ways to collect. ;)

Khronico

Since I'm kind of too lazy to bother modbot atm, here's some keys:
TAKEN
Red Alert 3: Uprising Origin Key:
6ZUL-ZPZJ-RGAK-JSEP-LK9Z

If you take em, please tell me so I can edit this post. Have fun!

HoosTrax

I hate it when I'm playing a game, and I don't realize until half way through that if I'm playing at my default 144hz, the game doesn't handle it properly and all enemy animations are sped up 2.4x.

"this game is really kind of tough for a casual puzzler..."

This is re: Ittle Dew, in case anyone's wondering.

Pakkidis

Everything you need to know. There are a couple of example gifs in the third post.

Wow, didn't know it was this sophisticated. PC gamers take their shit seriously :p I can't wait for my new pc in 2 months.

I just assumed their was a mod named modbot who was very generous. Didn't realize their was a whole system in play.

For the record I DO have origin keys from the humble bundle I will most likely give away after I get my new pc. Their is no expiry date on keys right?

Sajjaja

Since I'm kind of too lazy to bother modbot atm, here's some keys:
Red Alert 3: Uprising Steam Key:
RAIWK-7XY62-KCI3P
Red Alert 3: Uprising Origin Key:
6ZUL-ZPZJ-RGAK-JSEP-LK9Z

If you take em, please tell me so I can edit this post. Have fun!

Took the Steam key. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom