• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
tcEa36C.png

Done! Going for 100% didn't take long, after you have all the forms it's quick to find everything so I went for it. I did beat it before completing it but even then there wasn't a lot I hadn't done already.

I liked the game. Great scenery, awesome soundtrack, interesting bosses and some good world design.

My only gripe was with the mid-game traversal. The overall map could get obtuse when it came to figuring out where to go next by yourself, and more than once I'd swim for a long time to some area where at some point I couldn't advance further and then have to go all the way back. This obviously isn't unheard of in metroidvanias but the problem here is that many sections are boring to traverse and sometimes too long for their own good.

At the start it's rewarding, you're reaching all these new vistas and such, but after a while in this type of game, usually by the midpoint, you just want to get to places and be able to return fast through the segments that you already cleared. It's bothersome when you swim for a while, reach an area just to find out you can't advance because you don't have the needed form, then have to swim all the way back because there aren't shortcuts and no feasible way of quick travel introduced to help the pacing (aside from the few and far between Ancient Turtles that you may miss with a wrong turn while exploring).

Yeah, there are ways to swim slightly faster with the fish form etc, but most of the time it's just boring to swim around. It doesn't help that fighting grunts isn't very interesting either. Aside from the bosses and a few enemies it's not compelling to fight most of the wildlife. After you know which ones drop useful ingredients, there's not much of point in engaging either as enemies are easily avoidable and mostly not fun to kill, as you'll just shoot energy shots for a few seconds before you're back on your way. I love exploration in gaming and losing myself going to areas that won't advance the plot immediately, but I feel like the middle section of Aquaria fails in making it gratifying to do so, with too many roadblocks and a conspicuous lack of shortcuts. The bulbs you can open with the nature form would have been good in mitigating this but they are heavily underused and none of them work as timesavers.

This all may sound harsher than I intend it to be but there was a point where I found the moving around to be a chore. Besides that, the game is very well-crafted and offers a lot of content. There's a lot of care put into it and I can see why it was such a popular indie game at the time.

Oreoleo

this made me actually bother to check out what the patch did, because my Payday 2 is always downloading something.

Patch #5 sounds amazing. maybe now this game will be more than just Bank Heist and Jewelry Store

For sure. No more grabbing bags/picking people up through walls? Buffed the Bulldozer and taser? ECM jammers can open ATMs? Added crime.net filters? Sign me up!

Omega

Banned
For sure. No more grabbing bags/picking people up through walls? Buffed the Bulldozer and taser? ECM jammers can open ATMs? Added crime.net filters? Sign me up!

yep

and I don't know if it's just me but Mallcrashers was terrible. It never felt like there was much to destroy unless I was just doing it wrong so I'm happy they added more stuff to it.

hitmon

Just noticed the dark theme option recently. Must say its nice on the eyes. Has anybody gotten bonus card packs lately?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It would be nice if it had cards, there's potential for some gorgeous ones.

Yeah, it's a shame.

Just noticed the dark theme option recently. Must say its nice on the eyes. Has anybody gotten bonus card packs lately?

I got a Super Meat Boy booster the other day, which was less a nice surprise and more a slap to the face considering how worthless it is. :p

dark theme?

You can switch between the dark and light/default GAF themes using the Theme button at the top of the page.

Vecks

I should really finish aquaria. I think I'm about 3/4ths through it, but I haven't touched it in months. I hate taking breaks from metroidvania's.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's done now. Took me a little over 21 hours, but I finally finished it. I don't care about the extra stuff, nor reading the pages of the codex nor getting all the pieces of Truth.

No more Assassin's Creed for me. Ever.

EDIT: at least I was rewarded with a Really Big Sky booster pack. Which only sells for 70 cents, but it's still better than nothing.

maneil99

feeling stupid accidently buying outlast over SYBH. Gotta wait a week and see if I sell enough to get it. Anyone here playing it? Heard performance was questionable

Grief.exe

It's done now. Took me a little over 21 hours, but I finally finished it. I don't care about the extra stuff, nor reading the pages of the codex nor getting all the pieces of Truth.

EDIT: at least I was rewarded with a Really Big Sky booster pack. Which only sells for 70 cents, but it's still better than nothing.

You're not missing much. I've never understood the acclaim the series got.

We are in agreement.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You're not missing much. I've never understood the acclaim the series got.
Yes. I'm missing 11 hours of my life I'm never getting back. Why couldn't Ubisoft sell the base game as a 10 hours title, and the rest as DLC so I could skip it? That would have been perfect, and I'd have loved the game then.

Or not, I would probably have complained about them cutting out content to sell it for extra money. That content should have never been developed, period.

Oh, and when the credits started rolling I jokingly thought
"Now would be a great chance for Ubi to top this off with an extra playable scene, just to take this bad joke a bit further." Little did I know they had already thought of that, and I was greeted with -of course- an extra playable scene! (which consisted of a fight that played exactly like any other I had been in countless times before.)
Never again, Ubi. Never again.

Tecl0n

You've played the best already, so if the ""story"" didn't catch you might as well not play the others.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You've played the best already, so if the ""story"" didn't catch you might as well not play the others.
Man, if I had liked the story (that is, if I hadn't been bored at the point where I couldn't even pay attention to it), I'd love to read a book of the sequels if there was one. There's just no way I'd put myself through another of those games.

So yeah, I had already decided I wouldn't play them before reaching the half point of AC2 :p

And the worst of it all, the reason why I'm mad about this, is because it had every element to be a great game. It had an interesting setting, it had real life characters, it had fun gameplay, and it felt varied enough during the first few hours. There was no excuse for stretching it like they did, and in my opinion they completely ruined it, because all I can remember about it now is the huge boredom and tedium, not the fun I had at first. Such a wasted potential.

AC2 is also good. That is not the issue.
Exactly. I would have probably hated F.E.A.R. too if it lasted 50 hours.

I'm lying, and I know it. That game could have lasted 8 years and I'd still love it to death.

Just got back to school; the internet is shockingly bad. Not really sure what I'm going to do the rest of the year, can't really download any games when I get a max of 90 kbps down and that gets completely shut down every two or three minutes. Even small patches are nearly impossible to download.

AC2 is also good. That is not the issue.

If Ubisoft had made a 10 hours long game, people would be complaining that it's too short ^^

I also found that they stretched the AC games a little bit too much, but that doesn't make them horrible. But for sure they could have been better.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
MGS1 is the best game of all time and it was only 7 hours the first time, and like 4 hours second time.

P.S. You ever notice on that graph of prices that cards sold for in the past. It always starts out stupid high then drops off super fast. Are those first people who buy cards just the most impatient people in the world or something? It only takes like 2-3 hours for prices to be 1/4 that.

Omega

Banned
MGS1 is the best game of all time and it was only 7 hours the first time, and like 4 hours second time.

P.S. You ever notice on that graph of prices that cards sold for in the past. It always starts out stupid high then drops off super fast. Are those first people who buy cards just the most impatient people in the world or something? It only takes like 2-3 hours for prices to be 1/4 that.

lol

what's better is the random spike where cards sell for 10x what they were normally going for

I know but it just looks funny.

I think I sold my Mag7 Memento from CS GO which normally goes for like 12 cents, and there were two that sold for $1 or something.

I saw a TF2 crate that did that for 300.00. I then put one up for 100.00 and its staying until its purchased or Valve removes it.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I hope it's the movie, because it would mean Grief has good taste. EDIT: confirmed. My man.

I just finished Spring Breakers. I didn't like it. I thought Gummo and Kids were okay, but this movie just annoyed me from start to finish. It seems like it was deliberately annoying in a lot of scenes, so maybe that's the point. But I still winced all the way through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom