• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Blacklist was actually quite good, feel it might have given too many options for taking care of enemies(gas, mines, multiple shock items, etc) which made you feel a bit overpowered but it really felt like a return to form for the stealth that Splinter Cell was known for despite fleshing out the more violent options at your disposal. Really interested to see where they take the series next, really hoping they eliminate the few set piece moments and focus more of building the locations out. Still love the train sequence in Pandora Tomorrow where you have the people on board.
I have mixed feelings about the whole tag & multikill thing. On the one hand, it probably better puts you in the character of a highly trained agent to whom these things are second nature. On the other hand, you are disengaged from the process of developing those skills in controlling your character. However, I have to be honest that such proficiency I would feel prevented from attaining has actually never happened in the 3rd person action genre. These games have always been sloppy and not reached the precision of FPS. Especially in stealth oriented play, the speed and responsiveness in controls have just never existed to off 3 guys in a room before they really realize what's going on.

So, I guess I can't blame Ubi for streamlining it, and it is certainly expected since they have a long tradition of streamlining animations into autoplay controls rather than being more dynamic and skill-based. It's just one of those dreams I still like to hold that someday someone will make a TPS with the speed and precision of a FPS so I can do the second nature super spy stuff all from my own control on the fly rather than integrated assists. This kind of thing is one of the reasons I have high praise for RE6, because it expands player control to make the action more varied and active. It's no stealth game, but it does put those "Hero" moves in your hands to use on the fly at once with all the shooting.

It still feels a bit clunky, but I wonder how much of that is the nature of a 3rd person camera. In first person a quick glance behind to check for enemies feels natural, but in 3rd person it feels like an overly big camera movement. I also feel like backpedaling in first person is carefree, but in 3rd person if you keep your eyes on enemies you're retreating from there is more desire to make sure there aren't more in the direction you are going. Is that because in a FPS you can deal with them with greater speed and skill, or because of a 3rd person camera changing the feel? I'm not sure.

Just bought The Witcher 2 with cards money, feels good :)

You could have bought more cards and crafted this awesome background. I bet you regret getting the Witcher 2 now don't you?

Edit: Yeah, really not sure how I feel about the mark and execute system either. I think it worked in Conviction where it was an entirely kill based game focused on forward momentum but Blacklist is much more measured in its pacing and subsquently the mechanic felt very overpowered. You can even use it with the stealth weapons like gas but I purposely shied away from using it and focused on separating enemies. It's quite a fun mechanic and gets rid of the some of the control issues mentioned but it really does take away from the skill that would usually be required for such maneuvers. Think the point you make about being a skilled agent is a good one though, at a certain point with so many sequels and the like Sam must be better at such things.

As for the movement in general though I feel the game actually feels quite fluid and mobile in comparison to other games in the genere. Despite his age Fisher can dart from place to place, quickly jump over a railing and wait, and so on or you can choose to use a walking speed and take a more measured pace. Think that's one of the things Conviction(not the walking speed, it didn't have one) and Blacklist did so well was allowing you quickly and fluidly get from place to place and with the mark and execution system get that momentum going. Believe Blacklist added movement while pulling one off which could further expand that but I haven't messed around with it enough because as mentioned I shied away from using it and focused on ghosting.

And as probably the biggest defender of RE6 in this thread that is exactly what makes the game so special. You have the abilities and control over your character that until that point had almost entirely and still is reserved for cutscenes and upon coming out you become a bucket of lard. You truly feel like you have control over your character which is just brilliant when you get to grips with the controls.

Also, I think third person games on the PC should use the numpad like Arma does to simulate neck movement so you can look in all directions. On the consoles you could have a look behind move mapped to one of the analog stick's clickable.

Dice

I'm getting card drops and selling them to use toward Ducktales. I'm at $6 and have 34 cards to go. I think I'll get at least $4 out of the rest. Funny thing is it's not for lack of funds. I blew $12 at Starbucks without flinching yesterday, and plan to get a new videocard in the coming weeks, but $5 or less for Ducktales feels about right.

Sajjaja

I blew $12 at Starbucks without flinching yesterday

I blew $12 at Starbucks without flinching yesterday

without flinching yesterday

bunk-the-wire.gif

Dice

Hey man, that sandwich was expensive, but I guess they have to price it like that to make their drinks seem less outrageous. It was just one of those crazy ass days I needed an hour before work to chill out but the only other nearby place was a Taquería and I wasn't big on the idea of working after lunch there.

Anyway, I decided to uninstall Van Helsing after playing it about 7 hours. It was a notch below Torchlight 2, which puts it at amateur hour compared to Diablo 3. Got pretty repetitive and dull and another 5 hours didn't sound very exciting, especially since it ran like shit which I thought was just my computer until I read the same in Tom Chick's review. Overall, with where I am at in HD space, it isn't worth the 20GB. I'll keep Hitman around for my new videocard, though.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Fuck, does anyone want a Populous origin key? I grabbed it earlier before I saw that the Humble Origin bundle (which I bought) added extra games.

Dice

Abandoning virtual dogs. :(
Sorry, but this will be the order of acquisition*

World Adventures > Seasons > Island Paradise > Supernatural > Pets

*Actual order will be all at once on Christmas sale

liezryou

I'm getting card drops and selling them to use toward Ducktales. I'm at $6 and have 34 cards to go. I think I'll get at least $4 out of the rest. Funny thing is it's not for lack of funds. I blew $12 at Starbucks without flinching yesterday, and plan to get a new videocard in the coming weeks, but $5 or less for Ducktales feels about right.

It's funny how that works huh? Spend so much money irl but until there is a great discount on steam games i won't even touch em :p.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sorry, but this will be the order of acquisition*

World Adventures > Seasons > Island Paradise > Supernatural > Pets

*Actual order will be all at once on Christmas sale

Katy Perry's Sweet Treats has already been pulled. :( It's barely a year old!

I hate to bring this topic up again...I'm going to regret it so much.....but JaseC's avatar is probably his best one yet.

Cheers!

But now you're on derExperte's ignore list. :p

Divius

Fuck, does anyone want a Populous origin key? I grabbed it earlier before I saw that the Humble Origin bundle (which I bought) added extra games.
I had the same thing before; almost grabbed a RA3 key until I thought to myself: why are there so many giveaways for this game all of a sudden :p

Dice

I hate to bring this topic up again...I'm going to regret it so much.....but JaseC's avatar is probably his best one yet.
Looks great on dark theme. You know, I'm Irish, so I wonder if our ancestor clans were friends, or fought over shit.

It's funny how that works huh? Spend so much money irl but until there is a great discount on steam games i won't even touch em :p.
Hey, I preordered The Bureau so games obviously haven't been devalued to me.

It had $12 credit back and 7 bonus games included, and I used the credit to get 11 more games that were on crazy sale.

JaseC

StarDrive is 50% off over at GMG and can be had for $12 with the code GMG20-4B9NY-L4FEN (which expires in roughly 4.5 hours, so be quick).

JordanKZ

JaseC's avatar:

In other news, Saint's Row 4 is nothing but a class act. I only managed to play just over an hour last night, but it's stupid fun. Can't wait to play it all weekend, sorry Wonderful 101.

Martian

Has anyone been able to get Saints Row 2 to work on windows 7?
I downloaded the games 2 times but no avail.

It starts loading but after 40% it just says SR2 has stopped working

I googled and it seems more people have the same problem but there is a solution posted to fix the problem

Dice

StarDrive is 50% off over at GMG and can be had for $12 with the code GMG20-4B9NY-L4FEN (which expires in roughly 4.5 hours, so be quick).
Dunder's store closed with like 5 of those left. If you want the game it might be worth asking him if he still has those copies to get off his hands.

Deques

Has anyone been able to get Saints Row 2 to work on windows 7?
I downloaded the games 2 times but no avail.

It starts loading but after 40% it just says SR2 has stopped working

I googled and it seems more people have the same problem but there is a solution posted to fix the problem

Tried this?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
If Ubisoft had made a 10 hours long game, people would be complaining that it's too short ^^

I also found that they stretched the AC games a little bit too much, but that doesn't make them horrible. But for sure they could have been better.
Haha no, 10 hours isn't short. With the huge number of side missions and optional stuff this game has, they could have easily made the storyline last 10 hours and a 100% run 20 or more.

Besides, a short game hurts no one, and leaves you wanting a sequel. An overly long and boring one makes you not wanna touch the franchise anymore, at least in my case.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I really want to try Saints Row 4, loved the third one on PS3, but will wait until there's a sale on sometime to pick it up as I'm pretty low on disposable funds. Plus GTA 5's out in a month and I don't want to burn out on open-world games, even if the style of the two are very different. Shame there's not a demo.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Obtain you a copy of Betrayer. Basically, imagine if a bunch of Monolith's talent left and decided to make a black, white, and red open-level (not world, level) horror game. Because that's exactly what happened and it is incredible, even if it does hurt my eyes at times.
Would you believe me if I told you I bought it last week, and was just waiting to finish AC2 before starting it?

I think I'll play it now, along with Retrovirus. The game sounds cool as fuck, and since it's made by the NOLF and F.E.A.R. guys, it can only be amazing.

oipic

The game sounds cool as fuck, and since it's made by the NOLF and F.E.A.R. guys, it can only be amazing.

Man, I need to replay F.E.A.R. - it's been too long (perhaps right after some Alan Wake, Spec Ops and XCOM EU backlog management).

Now, NOLF: I know I say this every time it's mentioned...and I know Cate Archer (bless her cotton socks) and 'NOLF' as a franchise might be in legal limbo hell somewhere, but how the heck has someone not been commissioned to make a thinly-veiled, heavily-inspired 'remake' or modern re-imagining of it? Are we as gamers really deemed too dumb or simple to appreciate (or more importantly buy) a modern-day NOLF? I'm saddened.

JaseC

A fan-made NOLF remake being announced would probably spur Acti into finding the rights. "Oh, here they are! Please stop what you're doing."

Freezard

I give up on Men of War: Red Tide. I'm playing on god damn easy difficulty and I have eight men vs a gazillion of enemy troops and tanks that one shot my guys already on the third mission. Too bad, because the actual story was better than CoH2's.

Btw it should obviously be Uprising.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 -- MB-ACAF1F62D8ECED09 - Taken by BorntoPlay

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I give up on Men of War: Red Tide. I'm playing on god damn easy difficulty and I have eight men vs a gazillion of enemy troops and tanks that one shot my guys already on the third mission. Too bad, because the actual story was better than CoH2's.

Try Assault Squad.

BorntoPlay

thanks Freezard...=)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom