• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I guess my Tomb Raider issues came from my new quiet CPU heatsink/fan being designed for cooler chips, meaning I was running 80c under load (max for this one is 67c). Getting a nicer heatsink didn't sound good since the last nice one was too big to fit with my second set of RAM, which I depend on. Fortunately I found plenty of guys who said undervolting with my processor is safe and reliable, and indeed it is so I max at 61c now and even the CPU-heavy games work fine.

I did it for grid view back when it was the only way to get it. Looks sexy as hell. Sometimes I'll buy a game just because I find an awesome icon to use.
One of the reasons I started buying games on Steam is because having beautiful icons filling up the library feels good.

Grief.exe

Thanks for the tips Grief, I'll try them next time I play the game.

On another note, after being disappointed by Betrayer (I'll give it as many chances as necessary, don't worry!) and humiliated by Retrovirus (my PC is only 4 years old, it shouldn't run so poorly) I decided to start playing Dust. And I think it was a good idea, because I'm liking the combat mechanics (even though the Dust Storm attack seems to be a bit overpowered), and the art style is nowhere near as bad as I previously thought it was.

Dust is such a smooth gameplay experience with a solid story.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
One of the reasons I started buying games on Steam is because having beautiful icons filling up the library feels good.

Up until the middle of the last year I bought only what I was interested in, but 2012's Summer Sale, which was later than usual, coincided with tax time here, so as I had several hundred bucks to waste, I ended up buying a lot of stuff I didn't particularly want and caught "the bug".

Up until the middle of the last year I bought only what I was interested in, but 2012's Summer Sale, which was later than usual, coincided with tax time here, so as I had several hundred bucks to waste, I ended up buying a lot of stuff I didn't particularly want and caught "the bug".

Your avatar is so good, best Saoirse avatar so far.

Having a iconless hole in my Steam grid is like having a hole in my very heart.
Yeah, why didn't Valve put icons on beta/test builds, seems a bit lazy to me.

The what?

JaseC

Your avatar is so good, best Saoirse avatar so far.

<3

That's up to the publisher. Rayman 2 still lacks an icon despite being added to Steam well over a year ago now, for example, and Midnight Club 2's icon is just the R* San Diego logo (both have proper grid images, though, which makes the icon situation even stranger).

Edit: If you're referring to Valve's own test/beta builds, then, certainly, your point stands. ;)

The what?

The insatiable desire to own everything Steam has to offer.

Grief.exe

You can make your own pretty easily

zsXRyKd.png

That's up to the publisher. Rayman 2 still lacks an icon despite being added to Steam well over a year ago now, for example, and Midnight Club 2's icon is just the R* San Diego logo (both have proper grid images, though, which makes the icon situation even stranger).
Even the Valve's games are not given icons, Dota 2 Test, L4D2 Beta, the old CSS beta...

Edit:
You can make your own pretty easily

zsXRyKd.png

I know I can, but just curious why Valve don't do it for their own games.

JaseC

"Obamicon" wouldn't appear out of place as the name of a tyrannical corporation in a Capcom game. :p

Saints Row IV is soooo goood. Glad I got it on PC. I may cancel my GTAV preorder and just wait for it to come out on PC.

Finally beat Dead Space 3 tonight with my buddy. Damn does the story and ending suck. The game is so buggy too. FYI, if you run away from enemies in one area...THEY DON'T DISAPPEAR! So when you backtrack to said area, you will have to fight the new AND old enemies -_-. Glad I finally finished it, but was left disappointed in the game and the fact there will be no Dead Space 4 :(

maneil99

If anyone interest cheap game like

Shadowrun Returns - $11
Teleglitch: Die More Edition - $7
Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Digital Deluxe Edition - $8

You can PM me and we can discuss, I think I can provide at least one of each game.

Cmon this is my territory!

maneil99

Saints Row IV is soooo goood. Glad I got it on PC. I may cancel my GTAV preorder and just wait for it to come out on PC.

Finally beat Dead Space 3 tonight with my buddy. Damn does the story and ending suck. The game is so buggy too. FYI, if you run away from enemies in one area...THEY DON'T DISAPPEAR! So when you backtrack to said area, you will have to fight the new AND old enemies -_-. Glad I finally finished it, but was left disappointed in the game and the fact there will be no Dead Space 4 :(

Why would they dissapear if you ran away? I found the story to be fine considering 1/2. Also the extra dlc gives it one of the best trilogy endings this gen, fitting.

Why would they dissapear if you ran away? I found the story to be fine considering 1/2. Also the extra dlc gives it one of the best trilogy endings this gen, fitting.

Because the whole game is scripted? Dead Space 1 and 2 were like that. An example of what I mean is when you first meet the Stalkers in DS3, you can just simply run past them to the freight elevator. Well a chapter later, you backtrack your way through that same area. However, now you have to fight the Stalkers and Unitologists, instead of just the Unitologists.

The game in general is buggy as hell (like getting shot at by Unitologists during a conversation cutscene lol) on PC

Story-wise:
The love triangle thing ruined things for me. It seemed forced. Almost everything in the game was so predictable imo (oh she is taking so long to get off the elevator? She is probably going to die...*dies*...yup). There is just so much they could have done with the story and the environment. The first segment of the game was the most interesting to me and I wish they would have made it longer and got more into detail. The "shootbang" parts really ruined the mood for the game too. The universal ammo and weapon customization made the game too easy. I felt vulnerable when I played the prologue segment of the game...the rest of the game not at all.

I know I am probably being a little too hard on the game but I am a hardcore fan of the first two. However, I am glad that we even got a third game, even if it was so-so.

I haven't bought the DLC for the game yet but I hear it is good. Hopefully it goes on sale again.

How is this a bad thing?
See explanation above. Plus, it can get a little overwhelming...especially when you meet those stasis necros xD

maneil99

The point of dead space 3 was exploring though, finding loot and stuff, if enemies de spawned thtat would negate the danger

The point of dead space 3 was exploring though, finding loot and stuff, if enemies de spawned thtat would negate the danger

Eh, I did all the sidequests and stuff and none of it was interesting or worth doing. Most of the audio logs, emblems, and text logs were not really good lol. Dead Space was never about "loot" it was killing necros and trying to stay alive. I feel that the third game deviated from the formula waaay too much.

You one shot everything and then pick up more shit than you can carry. Exploring is pointless.

This

JaseC

Dead Space experienced much the same downfall as Assassin's Creed.

AssCreed: stealth game with action elements -> action game with stealth elements.
Dead Space: survival horror game with action elements -> action game with survival horror elements.

maneil99

Dead Space experienced much the same downfall as Assassin's Creed.

AssCreed: stealth game with action elements -> action game with stealth elements.
Dead Space: survival horror game with action elements -> action game with survival horror elements.

AC1 was hardly a stealth game but rather a game that had poor hand to hand combat, problem in AC2 was it was easier to fight straight up 100 guys then sneak around

Copons

I'm trying to 100% Mark of the Ninja, but I'm stuck getting the terror challenge in level 11 (kill 5 enemies with traps).

As I don't have the sword, the only way to kill people is actually with environmental traps, but it doesn't seem to update my challenge log.
Is this a bug or am I missing something?

JaseC

AC1 was hardly a stealth game but rather a game that had poor hand to hand combat, problem in AC2 was it was easier to fight straight up 100 guys then sneak around

Although it's hardly Thief 2, you should probably play Assassin's Creed again. Unless you have the somewhat tricky hidden blade timing down pat, it's practically impossible to face more than a few guards without at least losing a significant amount of health, and because of this there's a far larger emphasis on avoiding combat than engaging in it, which in turn encourages engagement with the stealth system (namely blending and hiding). Additionally, each and every assassination is rather open-ended -- while you can just jump into the assignment when you've reached the requisite investigative threshold, if you complete everything you're given the knowledge to attack the scenario in a very different manner, and unlike later games in the series you're not funnelled towards a particular approach as you're free to use the information you gained as you see fit.

Kabouter

Although it's hardly Thief 2, you should probably play Assassin's Creed again. Unless you have the somewhat tricky hidden blade timing down pat, it's practically impossible to face more than a few guards without at least losing a significant amount of health, and because of this there's a far larger emphasis on avoiding combat than engaging in it, which in turn encourages engagement with the stealth system (namely blending and hiding). Additionally, each and every assassination is rather open-ended -- while you can just jump into the assignment when you've reached the requisite investigative threshold, if you complete everything you're given the knowledge to attack the scenario in a very different manner, and unlike later games in the series you're not funnelled towards a particular approach as you're free to use the information you gained as you see fit.

If that was the case, I probably would've struggled more with the (terrible) final mission of the game. I do agree that it was harder than in subsequent games though, and certainly less of an action game as such. I still would in no way call it a stealth game however.

JaseC

If that was the case, I probably would've struggled more with the (terrible) final mission of the game. I do agree that it was harder than in subsequent games though, and certainly less of an action game as such. I still would in no way call it a stealth game however.

I played through the game in the lead-up to 3 and found that the guards in the final leg of are less aggressive, presumably because there's more of them and you're not given alternate avenues of escape other than cutting your way through. It's not purely a stealth game of course, by virtue of the assassin element, but at least during the assassination missions you're assigned a greater focus is placed on staying out of trouble than finding it -- in the sequel and beyond you're practically an action hero who only needs to use stealth because the objectives demand it.

Kabouter

I played through the game in the lead-up to 3 and found that the guards in the final leg of are less aggressive, presumably because there's more of them and you're not given alternate avenues of escape other than cutting your way through. It's not purely a stealth game of course, by virtue of the assassin element, but at least during the assassination missions you're assigned a greater focus is placed on staying out of trouble than finding it.

I played through the game recently as part of a replay of the entire series (only have AC3 left to replay, but I only played that early this year for the first time, so that's not very long ago either), and I didn't really think they were much less aggressive than in the rest of the game, and at several points in the game left behind giant piles of bodies. Anyway, I don't think the mechanics really justify it being called a stealth game at any point. IT has some elements of hiding and what not, like its sequels, but in the end you almost always end up in open conflict and spend very little of the game actually being stealthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom