• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolor

But the most important thing is that it's not necessary. It doesn't bring anything to the table. It's another client. I don't want Capsule. I don't want Origin. I don't want another client. I don't believe Origin liberates me to have a closer relationship with EA. I don't believe running their own service has resulted in more game patches, more new content, or better games. I don't believe that sales devalue IPs and neither does EA except when they do. That it's a client that doesn't actually do anything makes it less valuable than a client that does.

Sorry for the late reply to this, but I wanted to agree and add that one thing I don't think gets mentioned nearly enough is that I don't think people should trust EA (or Ubisoft for that matter) to continue to commit to prioritize the PC as a platform. I also don't think it gets enough mention of what it would mean for games bought on Origin or Uplay should either EA or Ubi decide to truly de-emphasize the PC.

Here you have EA saying that PC specifically isn't even their 2nd highest priority right now. When the new consoles launch, there is going to be a ton of emphasis on console games (already is). Does anyone really trust that EA is going to be working hard to improve their PC service at the same time? They're already saying it's going to take a backseat to mobile and consoles. I wouldn't be surprised if Ubisoft is doing the same thing (if they haven't stated so publicly).

So another reason that I personally view Origin and UPlay warily is that I simply don't trust EA or Ubisoft to consistently prioritize the PC space. Valve, on the other hand, has shown consistent dedication to the PC for the better part of a decade and if anything, things like DOTA 2, TF2, and their continued improvements to Steam imply an increasing dedication to PC gaming by Valve.

Love waking up to an e-mail from Steam telling me a game on my wishlist is on sale(Brutal Legend).

Also, if I am struggling to finish Resident Evil 5(keep losing interest) is there any point me picking up 6?

lol damn son didn't need all of that... just wanted to know if it was worth it for the gameplay and length and stuff. I always make my own purchasing decisions..

Worth is subjective.

But for gameplay and length and stuff? Well worth $5. Any DF game is worth it at twice the whatever price it is.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box -- MB-F9192440D56E0F20 - Taken by Gez
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition -- MB-021FD1F8EAD1274B - Taken by arts&crafts
Dead Space -- MB-F951A5827925974E - Taken by D3RANG3D
Metal of Honor -- MB-FA48503537F4F69F - Taken by Soi-Fong
Mirror's Edge -- MB-A91B62E839E54EE3 - Taken by chixdiggit
Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box (Origin) -- MB-73EA2C0B2DC7C70E
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition (Origin) -- MB-FC614B8EE53E2FAC - Taken by nightstorm
Dead Space (Origin) -- MB-FEEC7807C489CB13
Dead Space 3 (Origin) -- MB-5B5A1DBF720B811F - Taken by kutthoat5150
Metal of Honor (Origin) -- MB-062E5C417942E0F9
Mirror's Edge (Origin) -- MB-3BE1725AF233768C

Steam keys are unlabeled, Origin keys labeled.

hitmon

So I just noticed Dishonored had an update. Anybody know where I can find patch notes? View news seems to be useless on this.

View news took me to a page talking about the new DLC. I went to the news > product updates and there is no update since April 10 of this year.

I was curious to, got that patch this morning, so I checked their forums but still couldn't find anything beyond just bug fixes. http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1471667-2608-patch/

An incremental update (v 1.4.1) has been released today on Steam. The update resolves crashing issues reported both here and within the Steam Community.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1469149-dishonored-14-update/

Mine was crashing a lot, maybe this will fix it.

hitmon

I was curious to, got that patch this morning, so I checked their forums but still couldn't find anything beyond just bug fixes. http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1471667-2608-patch/

An incremental update (v 1.4.1) has been released today on Steam. The update resolves crashing issues reported both here and within the Steam Community.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1469149-dishonored-14-update/

Mine was crashing a lot, maybe this will fix it.

Thanks for finding that.

maneil99

Sir your being hutned is awesome, but will the graphics be improved? I know there is an artstyle but some things are really low res

Jawmuncher

only if you are looking for a game that is 9000 times worse

Don't let RE6Gaf come in here with you saying that.

Love waking up to an e-mail from Steam telling me a game on my wishlist is on sale(Brutal Legend).

Also, if I am struggling to finish Resident Evil 5(keep losing interest) is there any point me picking up 6?

It depends. Is what you're losing interest in is the action? If so then maybe. The game isn't as terrible as most say, its just really divided. You either like it or don't. If you like Mercs though its worth trying on that fact alone. It really depends on what's making you lose interest.

Also if its wanting something "scarier" people swear up and down that Leona campaign is the best and tries that the most though I don't really see it.

Tenrius

Am I correct in assuming that if I like RE4 for its combat and the overall cheesy aspect (oh, the impeccable wit of Leon S. Kennedy), I'm likely to appreciate RE5&6 as well?

Jawmuncher

Am I correct in assuming that if I like RE4 for its combat and the overall cheesy aspect (oh, the impeccable wit of Leon S. Kennedy), I'm likely to appreciate RE5&6 as well?

If you liked RE4 for those reasons more than atmosphere and the like then is say yes. Those are the reasons I loved RE4, and is why RE5 is one of my favorite games of all time. The cheese and action in 5 especially withnWesker are great. RE6 takes itself a little more seriously but its still there and the combat is amazing in it. Especially when you get it down and try out Mercs with it.

Freezard

Please buy Origins and Legends so Michel can do Beyond Good And Evil 2 already because BG&E was also very awesome.

Yeah the underwater controls are really great. You're right that they're probably the best in any 2D platformer ever.

I'm hoping that Rayman Legends will have better co-op than Origins though, because some levels were NOT co-op friendly at all, like all the treasure chest hunt levels where pretty much only the first player could get through alive. It kind of bothers me that playing co-op is making the games more difficult nowadays because of the screen not scrolling or zooming correctly, or by timed stress levels (true in every recent platformer I've played: DKCR, Rayman Origins, NSMBW(U)/SLU). I wish they would just do some co-op exclusive levels or something, there's a lot of potential left to explore. Just look at the block challenge levels in NSMBWU, they were awesome in co-op, I've seen Legends will have something similar as well (for Wii U at least).

Tenrius

If you liked RE4 for those reasons more than atmosphere and the like then is say yes. Those are the reasons I loved RE4, and is why RE5 is one of my favorite games of all time. The cheese and action in 5 especially withnWesker are great. RE6 takes itself a little more seriously but its still there and the combat is amazing in it. Especially when you get it down and try out Mercs with it.

Oh, sounds good. I actually thought that the atmosphere went all over the place after the village (which is where it was done exactly right), so it was hard to appreciate it for most of the game. The cheesy aspect remained throughout though and I still enjoyed it.

Tenrius

I sided with Roche and I still have that Iorveth playthrough I want to do sometime in the future (preferably when I don't have to play the game at like 10-15 FPS).

patochaos

Neo Member

I recommend playing RE6 in coop. One of the few "horror" games where they split you up and create some sort of tension.
Combat is good in RE6, but the game is like a Michael Bay movie. Explosions everywhere.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
What's the consensus on Brutal Legend? Heard it becomes an RTS about halfway through the game or something like that.

Dunno if I like the idea or not.

What's the consensus on Brutal Legend? Heard it becomes an RTS about halfway through the game or something like that.

There are maybe 6 or 7 RTS missions in the game. They're pretty easy and last for about 10 minutes each. The RTS missions aren't the game's strongest moments but if the rest of the game looks like it appeals to you, then I say check it out.

Tenrius

It has sort of a GTA-like structure, there's an open world you have to drive around in a car, with various missions, collectibles, side activities, etc. What's important is that it doesn't fully become an RTS, it's just that at some point these RTS-like missions are introduced (inside the same open-world automotive framework) and they are somewhat prevalent in the regular flow of the story missions. I'd say they are not that bad and the rest of the game is pretty cool for the most part, with plenty of variety too.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

None of the gameplay elements are very well executed. If you want to look at nice metal inspired art for 5$ while listening to a pretty killer metal soundtrack go for it. Otherwise skip.

Mattiator

There is some rts, it's not its greatest feature, but tough it out for the metal, jack black and other cameos :)

Tenrius

None of the gameplay elements are very well executed. If you want to look at nice metal inspired art for 5$ while listening to a pretty killer metal soundtrack go for it. Otherwise skip.

Yeah, I partially agree. No particular element is done particularly well, but it wins by the virtue of variety and an elusive artsy uniqueness, at least in my book. It's not a well-polished game, but definitely is a fascinating one, very quirky. And this is coming from me, a David Bowie fan (whose bizzaro version is the antagonist) who's never been particularly into metal.

I recommend playing RE6 in coop. One of the few "horror" games where they split you up and create some sort of tension.
Combat is good in RE6, but the game is like a Michael Bay movie. Explosions everywhere.

Well, I'm not really expecting horror from those games, but that thing with coop sounds interesting enough. Not sure if I'll be able to convince any of my friends to get the game and play it with me though (not to mention I'm waiting for a sale myself).

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Oh, sounds good. I actually thought that the atmosphere went all over the place after the village (which is where it was done exactly right), so it was hard to appreciate it for most of the game. The cheesy aspect remained throughout though and I still enjoyed it.

The way RE5 is cheesy is different from how RE4 was cheesy. In RE4, I was like "How did this dialogue get written? What is happening???" But RE5 is self-serious shitty action bullshit with a timely dose of matrix kung fu bullshit. It's not enjoyable for the same reasons at all. There are a couple of moments that stuck with people, though. The core action is pretty much the same as RE4, though.

RE6 has a great combat system at its core, but the game design around it is uneven and full of padding. The bosses are almost all bad, which is crazy for an RE game. There's fun to be had, but it's sandwiched between tedious garbage. The story is not remotely entertaining in the way RE4 is. It's even more straight-laced than RE5 and although it has the best acting yet in an RE game, it commits the cardinal sin of being extremely boring.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Dude RE6 is soooo good including cheesy/crazy Capcom story. RE5 was a stale action movie but RE6? No waaaaay!

No, the Iorveth path has some good Roche scenes. It shows how much of a bro he is even when you didn't side with him.
I see, I like Iorveth just as much as I like Roche, watching Iorveth turning from a bitter asshole to a friendly bitter asshole is fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom