• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
That fast? Don't people want to be able to sell cards for more $$?
Maybe people want to sell for more $$$, but not enough people want to buy for more. That's the part people are always missing form the equation.

Turfster

That fast? Don't people want to be able to sell cards for more $$?
No, people are idiots.
For most games, you'll be looking at the first few cards at a few bucks, but there'll be a waterfall effect to about 10 cents within the first hour.
This goes slightly slower if it wasn't a game with a big player base/wasn't really cheap.

Maybe people want to sell for more $$$, but not enough people want to buy for more. That's the part people are always missing form the equation.

The main problem are the people that want to sell quickly. They'll see the lowest price, and undercut it by a few cents (or even just one), just to be the 'first' to be bought. Then a person that put something up for a higher price earlier will take another look at the market, see that it's a much lower price now and undercut that in turn... etc, etc.

nexen

No, people are idiots.
For most games, you'll be looking at the first few cards at a few bucks, but there'll be a waterfall effect to about 10 cents within the first hour.
This goes slightly slower if it wasn't a game with a big player base/wasn't really cheap.

The market is always right and rational.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Like, for example, Lost Planet 3 having cards. They're all holding at about $0.70 - $0.90 each. Probably has something to do with Gamespy. Oh, and the fact that it hasn't released in all regions yet.

No, people are idiots.

The main problem are the people that want to sell quickly. They'll see the lowest price, and undercut it by a few cents (or even just one), just to be the 'first' to be bought. Then a person that put something up for a higher price earlier will take another look at the market, see that it's a much lower price now and undercut that in turn... etc, etc.
Money isn't the only resource that factors into these decisions. It's also time and convenience. That doesn't mean people are idiots, it just means most people put different weights on those than you do.
The market is always right and rational.
Hehe, I don't think that's 100% true, but in general I support the theory that the market is mostly rational, except for huge manipulations. Yes, even the Steam market.

sibarraz

Banned
I guess it depends on popularity and demand

For example, port royale 3 cards are still super expensive for today standards, not to mention :weed:

It's like the steam summer cards, everybody thought that those cards will be like super expensive in the future, yet the prices dropped hard after the sale ended

The course I was forced to switch to after a computer glitch dropped me from my first choice has only 6 other people in it besides me, all of which are beautiful women who numbers were exchanged with
(to be fair, more so due to the small nature of the class than my dashing charms)
Antonio-Banderas-computer-you-got-me-yospos-reaction-13677939419.gif

Castlevania feels so much better at 60 FPS, it's incredible. Going to be hard to balance this and FFXIV though. Really don't understand why it comes off so poor in screenshots in comparison though, something is just completely lost in the process.

Turfster

Money isn't the only resource that factors into these decisions. It's also time and convenience. That doesn't mean people are idiots, it just means most people put different weights on those than you do.
I've watched 3 people bid each other down from 2.something$ to 0.04$ 0.05$ and 0.06$ just because they all wanted to sell their card first. These were the only other people selling that card besides me.
You have too high an estimation of the average user ;)

nexen

Anyone take the plunge on Splinter Cell Blacklist yet?

I loved the first three, fourth was ok, but I hated Conviction. How is this one?

edit: I really only care about the SP.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Okay so in the early Dreamcast ports to Steam the controls are way too twitchy because the 360 stick has many more degrees of sensitivity than the DC stick, so just a little movement was interpreted as full blast. This is not the case in JSR or Nights, so are the controls also good in Sonic Adventure 2, or is it one of the shitty ports?

Is Sonic Adventure 2 cropped on steam like the first game was?

And I really wish Sega would re-release Jet Set Future, it's 10 times the game Radio is.

I'm not sure if it's appropriate to ask in this thread but I didn't want to start a thread for it.

Is their any old (or new if their's any) FPS shooters like Doom, Turok, or Duke Nukem on Steam worth playing? I just started playing Doom 3 on a friends computer and I was having a lot of fun with it. It really reminded me how much I liked the FPS's of the past where iron sights wasn't a thing.

So far I've played:
Doom 3 (Currently playing)
Duke Nukem Forever (I can't believe my friend let me play this)
Fallout 3

I've played others but these were ones I've played recently. Any suggestions?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The course I was forced to switch to after a computer glitch dropped me from my first choice has only 6 other people in it besides me, all of which are beautiful women who numbers were exchanged with
(to be fair, more so due to the small nature of the class than my dashing charms)
Antonio-Banderas-computer-you-got-me-yospos-reaction-13677939419.gif
Dear diary, today I...

Oh sorry, wrong thread :p

EDIT: no, actually this is the right thread

I'm not sure if it's appropriate to ask in this thread but I didn't want to start a thread for it.

Is their any old (or new if their's any) FPS shooters like Doom, Turok, or Duke Nukem on Steam worth playing? I just started playing Doom 3 on a friends computer and I was having a lot of fun with it. It really reminded me how much I liked the FPS's of the past where iron sights wasn't a thing.

So far I've played:
Fallout 3

I haven't tried it yet, but Shadow Warrior is supposed to be really good. It's made by 3D Realms and uses the Build engine, so it probably feels kinda similar to Duke3D. Heard it has some black humor too.

Grief.exe

So far I've played:
Fallout 3

I hate ADS as well, but mostly in a competitive multiplayer scenario where it lowers the skill ceiling. I enjoy them in atmospheric FPS.

Check out Hard Reset and the upcoming Shadow Warrior game. Both are made by Flying Wild Hog, a studio focused on high fidelity and old-school shooting gameplay.

Video I did on Hard Reset http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7fCxJ5hMFQ

fallout

No, people are idiots.
If someone undercuts in a crowded market and makes a sale, they're an idiot?

It's like the steam summer cards, everybody thought that those cards will be like super expensive in the future, yet the prices dropped hard after the sale ended
Not entirely true. Demand shot up right after the sale ended and the prices went up accordingly. Then, the price dropped off as more people tried to cash in on the increased demand.

Ledsen

Bought YNAB4, but it seems to screw you over if you get paid at the end of the month and use some money then (rent, bills) but most during the next month. I want my months to go from the 27th to the 27th :(

Atruvius

Man am I glad I bought the Brutal Legend! The writing in the game is absolutely hilarious, one of the funniest games I've played, and the soundtrack is killer! And I'm only two hours in. The gameplay might not be that great but I don't mind cause the game is just so much fun.

I haven't tried it yet, but Shadow Warrior is supposed to be really good. It's made by 3D Realms and uses the Build engine, so it probably feels kinda similar to Duke3D. Heard it has some black humor too.

I looked up some Shadow Warrior gameplay and it kinda reminds me of Doom 64 that I played a while ago. That's a good thing since I loved Doom 64. I just looked it up on Steam and it's F2P as well. I will definitely try this out, thanks.

I hate ADS as well, but mostly in a competitive multiplayer scenario where it lowers the skill ceiling. I enjoy them in atmospheric FPS.

Check out Hard Reset and the upcoming Shadow Warrior game. Both are made by Flying Wild Hog, a studio focused on high fidelity and old-school shooting gameplay.

Video I did on Hard Reset http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7fCxJ5hMFQ

I looked up a video on the remake of Shadow Warrior and it looks great. Hearing "you don't regenerate HP" was like music to my ears. I'll make sure to keep my eyes on the game since it seems close to release.

I also watched your video on Hard Reset and the game looks stunning. I'll check to see if my friend has this on Steam since he mostly plays FPS games. If the game is really good I might have to buy it for myself. Thanks.

nexen

Only 1% actually makes that sale, though, and for a fraction of what they could have made, usually.

On regular cards when I undercut the market by $0.01 it almost always sells immediately.

Man am I glad I bought the Brutal Legend! The writing in the game is absolutely hilarious, one of the funniest games I've played, and the soundtrack is killer! And I'm only two hours in. The gameplay might not be that great but I don't mind cause the game is just so much fun.

has it turned into a bad RTS yet?

allansm

I've watched 3 people bid each other down from 2.something$ to 0.04$ 0.05$ and 0.06$ just because they all wanted to sell their card first. These were the only other people selling that card besides me.
You have too high an estimation of the average user ;)

Also, it takes some time for people to know what cards they need to buy for the complete set. When cards are announced, people start to undercut each right after they get their first drop while no one has got all their drops yet. It takes 1-2 hours for the first buyer to appear and before that people are undercutting each other so madly that when the first card is sold the prices are already in the $0.20 to $0.30 range.

Grief.exe

I looked up some Shadow Warrior gameplay and it kinda reminds me of Doom 64 that I played a while ago. That's a good thing since I loved Doom 64. I just looked it up on Steam and it's F2P as well. I will definitely try this out, thanks.

I looked up a video on the remake of Shadow Warrior and it looks great. Hearing "you don't regenerate HP" was like music to my ears. I'll make sure to keep my eyes on the game since it seems close to release.

I also watched your video on Hard Reset and the game looks stunning. I'll check to see if my friend has this on Steam since he mostly plays FPS games. If the game is really good I might have to buy it for myself. Thanks.

These might be outside of what you are looking for, but my favorite shooters on Steam are Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Stalker: SoC, Metro 2033, and the Half-Life series.

nexen

These might be outside of what you are looking for, but my favorite shooters on Steam are Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Stalker: SoC, Metro 2033, and the Half-Life series.

The new Rise of the Triad game looks dope too.

edit: Quake 1 is still my favorite run & gun shooter.

Autofokus

I got a key for a game on uplay from a video card promotion before (I think Blood Dragon), and it worked like a 100% discount code on the uplay store, meaning I still could only use it after 11 PM. Gotta protect the children.
Exactly. If you're going directly through Ubi you need to put up with this shit.

Can't you just get a uPlay key off eBay on the cheap?
Or get it on Steam via TF2 keys for even cheaper.
Actually, thats what I did - bought a Deluxe Edition key for 8 keys (12€).

blacklistlgui8.jpg

Now get the download/install finished and off to bed, thanks Ubi for stealing the sleep of an old, grumpy guy.

I have this on iPhone, it's really awesome.

It's also the first game Sid Meier directly worked on and even coded in a very long time.

Dat 2k price gouging on an ios title....

It was pretty good on ipad, but I thought it was ultimately limited so it didn't last me long. I'd recommend a pickup, but only on sale.

NIN90

Exactly. If you're going directly through Ubi you need to put up with this shit.

Actually, thats what I did - bought a Deluxe Edition key for 8 keys (12€).

blacklistlgui8.jpg

Now get the download/install finished and off to bed, thanks Ubi for stealing the sleep of an old, grumpy guy.

HOLY SHIT I got the standard preorder for 20 keys. FML
But I guess yours is the uPlay version?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Dat 2k price gouging on an ios title....

It was pretty good on ipad, but I thought it was ultimately limited so it didn't last me long. I'd recommend a pickup, but only on sale.

I'd hope the PC version includes all the IAP stuff, so it probably comes out about even.

Im_Special

So I see BioShock2 is on sale at GMG, I know it's heavily rumored that GFWL will be ripped out and a Steam version, but is there any evidence that the Securom stuff is also getting removed? Also will old Bioshock2's get upgraded for free on Steam to the Steamworks version?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Dat feel when you are missing one yellow thing for the fifth time in a row
One reason why I'd rather just forget about that shit, have fun playing the levels, and be able to skip the tally animations.

TIME TO PLAY CASTLEVANIA/LOST PLANET 3/THE BUREAU/SKULLGIRLS/TAKE ON MARS/HOLY FUCK WHY DID I BUY SO MANY AT ONCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom