• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's like the only thing the internet is completely right about. It's not crazy hyperbole, it really is as bad as everyone says it is. I have like 5 canker sores in my mouth right now and I'd rather have another 100 than play DNF again.

I had enough fun with the game to see it through to the end... and play through the rather disappointing DLC. There's no denying it was in stasis for about a decade too long, though.

JaseC

I'm cautiously optimistic that a Duke game built from the ground up by Gearbox could be a novel experience.

Speaking of Gearbox, release the Homeworld games already.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I counted how long it took to cover the same distance in Black Ops 2:

Walking Speed: 3 seconds
Running: 2 seconds
ADS: 3.5 seconds

The standard loadout allows for only about 4 seconds of running at a time.

I can't believe that Blacklist runs on UE2.5.

The game doesn't look particularly good, but its just strange to use an engine that old. Ubisoft obviously cheaped out to make the transition easier.

Do you know what an engine is? Please don't make stupid remarks based on zero knowledge.

eyeless

2YLNuVx.gif

Grief.exe

Do you know what an engine is? Please don't make stupid remarks based on zero knowledge.

Thread really is getting hostile tonight.

Not really sure what the issue is here, I was referring to Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Double Agent, and Conviction all run on UE2.5.
Blacklist being on the same engine makes the transition significantly easier, instead of using a more modern engine. Then having to create completely new assets and code.

Wheres ma GFWLless Batman and Bioshock 2 Grief!!!

It seems to be coming pretty soon, I posted this earlier.

Whoever is working on BioShock 2 is really in crunch time.

That is two nights in a row they have updated right at or after 7 Pacific. I don't recall them updating this late previously.

Thread really is getting hostile tonight.

Not really sure what the issue is here, I was referring to Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Double Agent, and Conviction all run on UE2.5.
Blacklist being on the same engine makes the transition significantly easier, instead of using a more modern engine. Then having to create completely new assets and code.

Sorry if I was too harsh, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

Grief.exe

Sorry if I was too harsh, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

Feel free to educate me then.

The fundamental point being that sticking with the same engine would facilitate development of the next game, don't see how you can really argue against that.

Feel free to educate me then.

The fundamental point being that sticking with the same engine would facilitate development of the next game, don't see how you can really argue against that.

What you're referring to is one number you found on the internet. "2.5" doesn't mean anything.

The engine is modified and updated to today's standard. Sure, many methods are limited by the engine but a single number isn't indicative of what the engine is capable of.

I just think it's ridiculous when people call out on engines being bad based on nothing and suggests that they know how it affects the game. Even if you build an engine from scratch it's not guaranteed you'd see a noticeable difference.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
What you're referring to is one number you found on the internet. "2.5" doesn't mean anything.

The engine is modified and updated to today's standard. Sure, many methods are limited by the engine but a single number isn't indicative of what the engine is capable of.

I just think it's ridiculous when people call out on engines being bad based on nothing and suggests that they know how it affects the game. Even if you build an engine from scratch it's not guaranteed you'd see a noticeable difference.

It's still based off of the UE 2.5 codebase, which is lacking quite a bit compared to UE3's codebase. They just had to add in the shit that was missing. Quite the amount of work, but even with their cute code name for it that is exactly what it is running off of.

Bioshock 1/2 ran off of UE2.5 as well and other than some shaders not looking so hot it still looks pretty good.

I can't believe that Blacklist runs on UE2.5.

The game doesn't look particularly good, but its just strange to use an engine that old. Ubisoft obviously cheaped out to make the transition easier.

I'll take ue2 over ue3 any day
full msaa support, no texture pop in, no stutter from level streaming.

Omega

Banned
why are we arguing about Splinter Cell?

who cares if it uses Unreal Engine 45. It still looks like a launch window 360 game

Grief.exe

There is nothing inherently wrong about my statement, other than pure semantics. The game doesn't have a high-level of visual fidelity, the game runs on UE2.5 code base, and using a similar engine to prior games in the series facilitates development. Saying that I don't know shit from that is quite a stretch.

I guess I should have made my post oddly specific and everything would have been fine. IE, "I guess they used the modified version of UE2.5 for a cheaper development process from Conviction."

I'll take ue2 over ue3 any day
full msaa support, no texture pop in, no stutter from level streaming.

Wasn't advocating UE3, just commenting on their use 2.5.

Yet somehow they let negative mouse acceleration through which, correct me if I'm wrong here, doesn't exist in base 2.5.

Would there be any disadvantage to using AnvilNext? Ubisoft owns the engine outright, so the initial cost would be lower.
Obviously development cost would be higher switching over to the new engine, which was my initial thought process for bringing up the use of 2.5.

Steam thread's just particularly catty tonight.

No kidding. I have been involved in these issues, but I don't believe I have directly attacked or berated anyone.

JaseC

You know what were rad back in the day? Software renderers for 3D engines. Sure, the games looked terrible, but I was content just being able to play Quake 2 and Unreal on my crummy system, which lacked any form of 3D acceleration (yes, not even D3D).

iavi

You know what were rad back in the day? Software renderers for 3D engines. Sure, the games looked terrible, but I was content just being able to play Quake 2 and Unreal on my crummy system, which lacked any form of 3D acceleration (yes, not even D3D).

Software renderers and 3D wrappers. I do miss those days sometimes.

GLQuake might've been mindblowing back in the day but nowadays I prefer playing it in chunky software vision.

I used to thrash the shit out of my poor old 386DX. Was still fun.

The "let's all play games and have fun" bundle

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Dive Kick -- MB-BCD1ED82426B6D6F - Taken by scorpscarx

Tellaerin

I still remember putting together a new system specifically for Unreal back in '98 (?) so I'd be ready for the game when it was released. On my previous machine, I had to scale down the window to play Doom at a decent framerate. I went from that to playing Unreal with a brand new Voodoo2 card, which thoroughly blew my mind at the time.

JaseC

Who's Salsa?

Some girl.

I still remember putting together a new system specifically for Unreal back in '98 (?) so I'd be ready for the game when it was released. On my previous machine, I had to scale down the window to play Doom at a decent framerate. I went from that to playing Unreal with a brand new Voodoo2 card, which thoroughly blew my mind at the time.

I remember running Unreal at my 15" CRT's max resolution -- 1280x1024 -- and seeing the frames being rendered on-screen. The game was literally running at 1fps!

I saw someone from here on Steam playing Timeshift a while back. If you are reading this, how did you get it to run? Mine crashes after it loads the shaders.

Though it isn't on Steam, does anyone happen to know if there is a simple widescreen fix for Operation: Matriarchy other than the 600+mb complete overhaul? My searches haven't been successful.

GUnLKXQ.png
raffles?!?!?

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Greed Black Border -- MB-AA8F37A24A70C9FA - Taken by Iron Badger
Larva Mortus -- MB-E15A92F5E1BC4565 - Taken by Deques
Space Trader Merchant Marine -- MB-226C1F8DEC82B812 - Taken by Tellaerin
Scratches Directors Cut -- MB-3171687EA7DEACED - Taken by Pestilence11
Obulis -- MB-2D24F01E515FDF1A - Taken by Blablurn
Chains -- MB-92CB56C20FEAADD3 - Taken by Melted77
Crash Time 2 -- MB-02023244B229DA36 - Taken by BorntoPlay

Status