• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

didamangi

Well, this would make it easy to decide between PC or Vita version for me. I still haven't picked it up due to my indecisiveness.

So how is Lords of Shadows, guys? Is it purty?

Very pretty, runs nicely as well on my aging PC at 1080p. I love they implemented triple buffering by default, like it should be.

Only downside is the video cutscenes and the communty hub that's not up yet on steam.

I wish DayZ standalone would come out already. I passed on getting into it months ago when I heard it was going standalone instead of just jumping on the mod. Didn't think it would take this long!

Grief.exe

I wish DayZ standalone would come out already. I passed on getting into it months ago when I heard it was going standalone instead of just jumping on the mod. Didn't think it would take this long!

Its looking like the wait shouldn't be much longer. If everything stays on tracks, early or mid September.

Keep in mind that the standalone will be a very early alpha when it is released, there won't be many weapons and no vehicles at all in the initial build.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Are they going to fix my main problem with Day Z?

I haven't paid much attention to it since I realized the power of raiders. Some douchebags teamup and hold people at gunpoint and rob/kill them. That in itself is annoying, but the thing that makes it a dealbreaker for me is the power they have in being a group. A solo raider is taking a risk. If he gets killed in his asshole decisions, he loses everything, just like those he has been killing. That makes him a jerk, but it is a fair risk/reward situation where both sides could lose everything and it is like real life. But if he gets killed while raiding in a group, he just starts a new character and rejoins his friends who finished the looting process. There is no risk of loss in being such an asshole in groups. If you decide to go balls to the wall and stand up for yourself against them, killing one before you go down, you may kill one of them, but it means nothing. It doesn't teach any lessons or set them back in the slightest.

iavi

Lords of Shadows runs beautifully. Like the demo, there aren't many visual options, but the game is optimized to heaven and back.

Grief.exe

Are they going to fix my main problem with Day Z?

I haven't paid much attention to it since I realized the power of raiders. Some douchebags teamup and hold people at gunpoint and rob/kill them. That in itself is annoying, but the thing that makes it a dealbreaker for me is the power they have in being a group. A solo raider is taking a risk. If he gets killed in his asshole decisions, he loses everything, just like those he has been killing. That makes him a jerk, but it is a fair risk/reward situation where both sides could lose everything and it is like real life. But if he gets killed while raiding in a group, he just starts a new character and rejoins his friends who finished the looting process. There is no risk of loss in being such an asshole in groups. If you decide to go balls to the wall and stand up for yourself against them, killing one before you go down, you may kill one of them, but it means nothing. It doesn't teach any lessons or set them back in the slightest.

I don't know how they would fix that at all. That just seems like less of a design issue and more of a general MMO situation where there is power in numbers.

Rocket's main objective is design that does not impact the player. IE the team doesn't want to directly change the course of the game with mechanics unless there is a major problem.

That kind of group doesn't really sound like much of an issue though. If you are playing the game carefully and aware of your surroundings, a group of that size should never be able to sneak up on you.

Yeah for real. I've skipped out on the mod version because I was hoping it would come soon. Also played War Z/Infestation for a little bit to fill the itch to play a game like that.

Can't wait until State of Decay comes to PC too. Seems to be very similar to that "Day Z" genre, whatever you would call it. Didn't buy it on XBLA because of all the technical issues it was said to have.

State of Decay is more like a third person Dead Island than DayZ.

The closest game I have seen to DayZ is parts of Division, its truly a unique experience.

belushy

Banned

Yeah for real. I've skipped out on the mod version because I was hoping it would come soon. Also played War Z/Infestation for a little bit to fill the itch to play a game like that.

Can't wait until State of Decay comes to PC too. Seems to be very similar to that "Day Z" genre, whatever you would call it. Didn't buy it on XBLA because of all the technical issues it was said to have.

Wok

I don't know how they would fix that at all. That just seems like less of a design issue and more of a general MMO situation where there is power in numbers.

Rocket's main objective is design that does not impact the player. IE the team doesn't want to directly change the course of the game with mechanics unless there is a major problem.

They could ban the player for 2 hours everytime the character dies.

AlexBasch

Finished Arkham City.

Well not finished because there was another Catwoman mission.

But fuck it, I got sick of it during the last minutes, egh.

Dice

Modern sophisticated MMOs don't allow PvP unless both parties like that idea. If you don't like it for DayZ, you just don't play the game. Seems dumb to me, but I am forever an apologist for options that open game experiences to everyone.

Grief.exe

Modern sophisticated MMOs don't allow PvP unless both parties like that idea. If you don't like it for DayZ, you just don't play the game. Seems dumb to me, but I am forever an apologist for options that open game experiences to everyone.

All the MMOs that I have ever played have dedicated PVP servers, where you can fight at any time.

The main theme of DayZ is survival against all odds. Taking away the human element completely like that would go against the philosophy of the game, and ruin the tension that the human element provides.. I don't really see what you would be playing for at that point. You would just go around, collecting goods that you really don't need without the PVP aspect. Would get quite boring, quite fast.

Needless to say, I don't agree with taking out the PVP aspect at all.

That said, Rocket and the team are looking to incentivize late game play and hopefully reduce the kill on sight mentality.

• Now that objects are treated differently, they can be destroyed if you fire on someone.
  • Items will also become more rare, so hopefully this will encourage trading.
  • Crafting. You need 4 pieces to craft a blood bag, so will need to trade to get all 4
  • Customizing vehicles, weapons, rare clothing, and bases will become the late game goals, helps to incentivize playing for longer rather than deathmatch play.
  • Zombies spawn server side now, so a team can clear out a whole area and they will not respawn.
  • handcuff system added to the game, people might capture you instead of outright killing you. They can then take you elsewhere and let you go, or you can eventually wriggle out of the restraints.

Dice

Well they could... you know... design the zombie part to be good, if it is really so shit you need the humans to have any tension. The way you are talking about it is making it sound way more shit than I figured it to be. Ah well, I guess people can go have fun with the wander among douchebags simulator. Doesn't interest me.

Finished Arkham City.

Well not finished because there was another Catwoman mission.

But fuck it, I got sick of it during the last minutes, egh.

What?? You have the best part left, collecting all the Riddler statues one by one, searching for EVERY (and I mean every) corner. (Just kidding, the sidemissions are mostly pretty cool and showcase some awesome cast)

Grief.exe

Well they could... you know... design the zombie part to be good, if it is really so shit you need the humans to have any tension. The way you are talking about it is making it sound way more shit than I figured it to be. Ah well, I guess people can go have fun with the wander among douchebags simulator. Doesn't interest me.

It sounds like this game would be of no interest to you. I'm surprised you are even looking into it since it sounds like the exact opposite of a game you like.
You have to admit, the game has a very compelling and unique premise.

They are going to completely rework the zombie AI at one point. They have retooled them for the alpha release, and they are significantly better, but not where the team wants them to be.
They will be much more of a threat at launch of alpha, and they are not completely janked like in the mod (which mostly comes down to massive engine limitations).

I have never played DayZ, but this actually sounds really good to me.

Even if people are douchebags...which they will be anyway... isn't that kind of the point? I always get great satisfaction from taking them down.

That is exactly my favorite part, taking down a big group with just a couple of guys through flanking and strategy.

You really aren't playing DayZ correctly if you are letting a group like that sneak up on you anyway.

I have never played DayZ, but this actually sounds really good to me.

Even if people are douchebags...which they will be anyway... isn't that kind of the point? I always get great satisfaction from taking them down.

Dice

What?? You have the best part left, collecting all the Riddler statues one by one, searching for EVERY (and I mean every) corner. (Just kidding, the sidemissions are mostly pretty cool and showcase some awesome cast)
I got 100% on the AC story mode. First I beat all the missions and side missions, which took 20 hours, then I did all the Riddler shit, which took another 20 hours. I don't know why I did the latter, probably something related to the sickness that led me to play TDU2 for 100 hours.

You have to admit, the game has a very compelling and unique premise.
It would be if they could somehow make it actually realistic so that dead = dead forever for everyone involved, to prevent the advantage to douchebags I described. Unfortunately, I see no way of doing that except maybe some kind of playthrough ID tag on you character that applies to items, so if you die you can't regain things tagged as being from your previous life. That's probably too complicated to ever do, though, and still wouldn't necessarily help things if you technically never owned something because it was loot your group had but you didn't.

Without that change, it is not compelling to me at all. It's just another setup for people online to ruin good things. Long-play tension doesn't make a good experience for me, it only makes everything into a chore with the risk of losing everything that you were never able to truly enjoy having anyway. A quality co-op experience can have tension, a pure deathmatch can have tension, and all without the chore-like feeling and paranoia and wasted time. I just don't get the appeal.

I hope we get a large Neogaf group together when DayZ hits the store.

My favourite part of the game is the tension when you see players in the distance.

I got 100% on the AC story mode. First I beat all the missions and side missions, which took 20 hours, then I did all the Riddler shit, which took another 20 hours. I don't know why I did the latter, probably something related to the sickness that led me to play TDU2 for 100 hours.

I even played through the new game plus mode and then started with the challenges before thinking "why I am doing this when I am not enjoying this at all".

I loved the game but some "content" there was just ridiculous

Deques

Not gaming related, but on Steam:

You Need a Budget 4 75% off, is it any good?

Maybe I should invest that money and see if I'll spend less in the future :)

A buddy of mine is using it monthly. Now he got a Microsoft Surface and a Chromebook after months of planning

esai

Not gaming related, but on Steam:

You Need a Budget 4 75% off, is it any good?

Maybe I should invest that money and see if I'll spend less in the future :)

Yeah me too

i might bite on it tomorrow. that way i feel like i saved money today. i wish it had card drops.

Nakayumi

Heads up for those thinking about buying Lords of Shadow, GMG lets you apply the 20% discount voucher on an already lower price than it sells on Steam, making it €18,-.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The mosquito level in the final world of Rayman Origins is ridiculous. The regular flies are easy enough to kill, but you have to keep an eye out for bombs that emit fireballs after exploding... and storm clouds... and larger flies that are exponentially more difficult to kill and also spit fireballs... and cannons that shoot fireballs... and lightning rods... and homing missiles.

The mosquito level in the final world of Rayman Origins is ridiculous. The regular flies are easy enough to kill, but you have to keep an eye out for bombs that emit fireballs after exploding... and storm clouds... and larger flies that are exponentially more difficult to kill and also spit fireballs... and cannons that shoot fireballs... and lightning rods... and homing missiles.

That is nothing. Have fun with the secret last level.

Deques

Yeah I believe there is a pricing error because for Australian's the classic edition is the same price as the regular edition! Both discounted to only $80.99 USD.

So if anybody wants to take advantage of that before it is fixed, let me know.

$81 seems to be a not so great price

8PB3fMc.png

i6JW0Im.gif

Risgroo

Yeah I believe there is a pricing error because for Australian's the classic edition is the same price as the regular edition! Both discounted to only $80.99 USD.

So if anybody wants to take advantage of that before it is fixed, let me know.

Man, you Aussies get the best deals.

I should try the new F1 game when it comes out, haven't played an Formula 1 game since the Sony developed one in the early days of the PS3. Does F1 have damage modeling? I remember going too fast around a corner in the Sony game and having my car just fall apart, it was rad. At the same time it made me not want to play well sometimes :D

Deques

Hmm. So recommended?

It is recommended if you intend to make a budget over your money. My friend has a job and earns quite a lot. Before he purchased the program he spent way too much money. Now he can calculate how much left he has each month. It requires a lot work to make a perfect budget, he inserts every expenses he got in a month.
If you do as him you will see how much money you have left and then you can plan if want to buy a new car with that money

I'll proabably end up buying the classic :(

It's too damn expensive. £35.99 (for classic), which is still still cheaper than rest of Europe. Russia version is locked. South America has cheapest, but not by much. Damn you Codemasters. Hopefully GMG sell classic edition.

Hopefully with same rewards as Steam's

Oh god. No thanks.

Better than me
361 card drops remaining

Arthea

Talking about cards. Is it normal games you sold all cards of to disappear from badges page with no trace?
Kinda makes me concerned, am I still eligible for booster pack of those games?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
361 card drops remaining
Are you not interested in getting these cards just to sell them off? I suppose there's a huge time investment to do it, but it seems like you're someone who buys a lot of games from that figure and I'm sure the steam credit you'd gain would be pretty helpful in doing that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I have 110 drops, yeah not worth it.

I'd work through my pile if Valve didn't crack down on multi-game idling.

Talking about cards. Is it normal games you sold all cards of to disappear from badges page with no trace?
Kinda makes me concerned, am I still eligible for booster pack of those games?

What games? F2P games only stick around if you have cards, drops remaining or have levelled up the badge.

Deques

Are you not interested in getting these cards just to sell them off? I suppose there's a huge time investment to do it, but it seems like you're someone who buys a lot of games from that figure and I'm sure the steam credit you'd gain would be pretty helpful in doing that.

It would take forever to get all the cards as I don't plan to "destroy" my playtime at all and I don't play that much games either. I only play games I intend to finish.

Arthea

I'd work through my pile if Valve didn't crack down on multi-game idling.

What games? F2P games only stick around if you have cards, drops remaining or have levelled up the badge.

No, not f2p, last one "disappeared" was sonic racing transformed, for example, after I sold cards of it.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

This has happened to me actually, I think that it's the same for all games, not just F2P ones now. I have 20+ games not showing on the badges page where I've had all the drops and sold the cards, the only ones showing are ones I have badges for, drops remaining or that I've recently played. Shouldn't affect booster pack drops though, I got a booster pack for McPixel yesterday, it wasn't showing on the page at the time and it's not showing now after selling the cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom