• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

Not showing up for me. 97 is Counter-Strike Complete on both client and website for me. Weird.

Maybe there are games in the real top100 that are not available here in Germany, so it gets pushed up. Monsters jumped to 93 btw.

edit: When I use http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=us it's not there for me too, so I guess my theory is correct. The US 100 stops at Witcher 2 and in the German 100 Monsters comes directly after that.

Played a KoF13 match with Sibarraz. Chile to NJ/NY connection and it was a definite improvement over consoles and while it still doesn't compare to offline at all, it's not a deterrent in recommending the game to people who want to give the game a shot but can only play online (unlike MK9's unfortunate netcode).

patochaos

Neo Member
Chile to USA a decent connection in a fighting game?
for real?

I remember playing SSF4, which in theory has a solid netcode, and anyone not from a country who shares the border meant horror.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Man, you guys weren't lying. Lords of Shadow is glorious. It's really jarring when it switches to console graphics for cutscenes.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Man, you guys weren't lying. Lords of Shadow is glorious. It's really jarring when it switches to console graphics for cutscenes.

The console version of Alan Wake has the opposite problem: the cutscene graphics were rendered on a PC at full resolution, so there's an obvious increase in asset detail compared to the game proper (which runs at a paltry 960x540).

The console version of Alan Wake has the opposite problem: the cutscene graphics were rendered on a PC at full resolution, so there's an obvious increase in asset detail compared to the game proper (which runs at a paltry 960x540).

Talking about Alan Wake, the developers commentary is great.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

This is why I'm glad I didn't read GAF back when I played it. I look back on the graphics of Alan Wake fondly, but I know I'd be more critical now that I regularly check out screenshots of games running on high-end rigs.The HD Screenshot thread is 90% of the reason I decided to finally build a PC.

Maybe there are games in the real top100 that are not available here in Germany, so it gets pushed up. Monsters jumped to 93 btw.

edit: When I use http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=us it's not there for me too, so I guess my theory is correct. The US 100 stops at Witcher 2 and in the German 100 Monsters comes directly after that.
I thought it was based on how they're selling in that particular region?
Be careful what version you buy: http://steamdb.info/sub/30393/
He's possibly referring to me, in which case, my copy is redeemable worldwide. However, it is always a good idea to check whether region restrictions are in place before purchasing/trading.

steam gaf, what say you about the Dungeon Siege bundle? At $5 i don't think I'll need much convincing. I somewhat enjoyed 1 and 2 back in the day, and I thought the 3 demo was decent.

JaseC

Talking about Alan Wake, the developers commentary is great.

Ah, I forgot about that. It's not handled in the most elegant manner, though, right? My favourite dev commentary system is that which Valve uses -- interactive nodes which are scattered throughout a level.

This is why I'm glad I didn't read GAF back when I played it. I look back on the graphics of Alan Wake fondly, but I know I'd be more critical now that I regularly check out screenshots of games running on high-end rigs.The HD Screenshot thread is 90% of the reason I decided to finally build a PC.

I'm not sure why I got back into PC gaming exactly. I still had my ageing E6420 @ 3.2GHz/4GB DDR2-800/1GB 5750 system when Portal 2 released and it was perfectly playable (the PS3 was my system of choice at the time, however being a Valve game I made an exception of P2), but a few months later I decided to buy a GTX 570, started playing some more recent titles in my library and even began buying new releases (e.g. Space Marine, which I still haven't played, and DE: HR, which I did eventually play).

steam gaf, what say you about the Dungeon Siege bundle? At $5 i don't think I'll need much convincing. I somewhat enjoyed 1 and 2 back in the day, and I thought the 3 demo was decent.

I think you've answered your own question. ;) It's unlikely to ever be cheaper, too.

Steam Guard changes...

DerrickG™ said:
New Steam Guard feature to help protect your items

During our server maintenance on August 28th, 2013 we implemented a new security feature to protect users from having their items stolen. As a result you may receive a message that says you have logged into a new device and are unable to trade for 15 days. If this is the case you will need to wait the 15 day period before you can trade again because you are on a device that has not had Steam Guard enabled on your account for 15 days. Steam Support is unable to remove this restriction from your account.

To avoid this restriction from triggering you should not delete Steam cookies from your browser, deactivate Steam Guard on your account or reinstall the Steam client. If you have Steam Guard enabled currently and have had it enabled for 15 days on your account then you will be unaffected by this change.

Our goal is to prevent trading on your account before you are able to react if your account is hijacked.

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/864977563920604588/

Nabs

The Mac port of Bioshock Infinite is coming tomorrow (edit: seems to be out now). Just in time for a weekend deal.

I wonder if that Bioshock 2 update is ready...

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Unless I'm reading this wrong, this will only happen to people activating steam guard for the first time or people who have had it enabled for less than 15 days so far. They'd be insane to restrict trading on accounts that already have it enabled, since that would require them to have your steam account password and email password to fetch your steamguard code.

EDIT: Or what was said above. You can still trade on the other machines, but not the new one for 15 days? Will kinda suck for someone reformatting who doesn't have a choice.

JaseC

The Steam Guard restriction only applies on the new device, not on existing ones. Sounds good to me.

The post does say that the changes only apply to accounts which haven't already had Steam Guard enabled for 15 days, but there are a few comments by people who claim to have been hit by them even though they fall within that bracket, so it seems Valve has some kinks to iron out.

Ah, I forgot about that. It's not handled in the most elegant manner, though, right? My favourite dev commentary system is that which Valve uses -- interactive nodes which are scattered throughout a level.

It's not that bad if you've already beaten the game, but it basically plays automatically while you play the game.

Definitely should only use the commentary after you've beaten the game.

That's... kind of a bummer.

My Steam account currently sit on 3 PCs (My regular PC, a Virtual Machine I use to test stuff from time to time and my secondary PC).

The last two of those get reset/reformated constantly. Is my account going to be locked for 15 days each time this happens?

Damn...
locked games library or you wont be able to trade?

JaseC

It's not that bad if you've already beaten the game, but it basically plays automatically while you play the game.

Definitely should only use the commentary after you've beaten the game.

Yeah, if I run through the game again I'll enable the commentary. I've finished it twice already (once the X360 and again when it released on the PC) so the story is well entrenched in memory.

locked games library or you wont be able to trade?

It's a just trading restriction, but if he's had Steam Guard enabled for 15 days already, then he should be affected. Valve stopped outright banning/disabling accounts early last year, so even if you've transgressed in the worst possible way, you'll still be able to access your existing library.

Okay. I'll bite.

Why would Valve feel the need to compete with a system that doesn't even provide games on the same platform?

They are way too smart to think that all of the sudden nobody is gonna make PC versions anymore.

I don't really understand what you mean.

On PC there are AAA and indie titles. On PS4 and Xbox there are AAA and indie titles.

Mostly these will be the exact same games and people can choose which platform to buy the games on. How are they all not competing with each other?

JaseC

How soon do you guys think we'll get our own "sell preowned digital games" from Valve?

I think Valve will begin to experiment with -- at the very least -- its own games within the next six months. (I'd like to be more optimistic in regard to the time window, but, you know, it's Valve.)

Grief.exe

I hate when games do this, very lazy. Deus Ex: HR had the same problem.

Very jarring when downsampling and running the game at max, then getting thrown into a massively compressed video.

I'd experiment with Valve if you get what I'm saying.
Wink wink nudge nudge

Dean Winchester took of his shirt as he approached the hotel where his brother was waiting. It was covered in blood, so it had to go. As his six-pack chest glistened in the rain, light poured out from the hotel room door as it opened.

"I've been waiting, Dean."

The older Winchester shielded his eyes as he adjusted to the brilliance of the contrasting depths of light. What he saw was not was he was expecting - it was more.

"Hello, Gaben."

I hate when games do this, very lazy. Deus Ex: HR had the same problem.

Very jarring when downsampling and running the game at max, then getting thrown into a massively compressed video.

I always assumed when I was playing on console (360 was my usual go to) that it was to do with the dvds, that they must of compressed the video to fit, and that the PS3 versions probably had wonderful looking cutscenes with the extra bluray space. Seeing those LoS cutscenes though, they were just crap everywhere? Surely they must have those videos uncompressed somewhere. Imagine if you were watching a movie and the picture quality dipped out at pivotal moments haha.

JaseC

I always assumed when I was playing on console (360 was my usual go to) that it was to do with the dvds, that they must of compressed the video to fit, and that the PS3 versions probably had wonderful looking cutscenes with the extra bluray space. Seeing those LoS cutscenes though, they were just crap everywhere? Surely they must have those videos uncompressed somewhere. Imagine if you were watching a movie and the picture quality dipped out at pivotal moments haha.

Just about every console game, and thus PC port, uses Bink for cutscenes due to its very low CPU overhead and, on the X360 side, the lower file size. It'd be nice if developers who opt for pre-rendered in-engine cutscenes went the extra mile with the PC version and "reshot" them at 1080p, using a superior codec for the final product.

Wait, I still don't understand: does that limit the trading to 15 days on the new computer or on your account as whole? Because if it's your account then it's kinda bullshit. For instance if I log in via my girlfriends laptops browser to buy some game when I don't have my own laptop with me, it ALWAYS prompts for the Steam Guard 6 digit pass.

JSoup

Banned
Is the first time DirectX install thing taking longer for anyone else? Last few games I tested took just about 20 minutes a piece to run the installer. Come on, Steam, I need to install faster so I can spend more time not playing these games I'm installing!

JaseC

Wait, I still don't understand: does that limit the trading to 15 days on the new computer or on your account as whole? Because if it's your account then it's kinda bullshit. For instance if I log in via my girlfriends laptops browser to buy some game when I don't have my own laptop with me, it ALWAYS prompts for the Steam Guard 6 digit pass.

The phrasing suggests the latter, but the post does state that these changes only apply to accounts that have had Steam Guard enabled for less than 15 days.

jediyoshi

43KNwmz.png

dgaLH6H.png

madness.

Knurek

So, what was exactly the beef people had with Mass Effect 3?

Other than Origin being Origin issues, I love the game so far and I'm nearing the endgame.

Arthea

So, what was exactly the beef people had with Mass Effect 3?

Other than Origin being Origin issues, I love the game so far and I'm nearing the endgame.

It's boring, not a single interesting location for example, that's only issue I had, then again I had this issue with series. Dunno why people like ME trilogy so much, unless it gets huge bonus for being sci-fi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom