• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did I say this?

Here:

when you were told that a new humble bundle was available you knew it was a superb deal of 'top-tier' indie games. Now you might as well be browsing Groupon.

Okay, so you think Humble Bundles should be regulated to video games and indie games only.

But at the end of the day, it's a charity drive and you're really just shitting on a charity drive.

it having an ORIGIN bundle is precisely part of why it's unfocused. Do you really consider EA, of all companies, to be a good choice for something that calls itself 'humble'? They could very well host their own bundle on their own site. And now a 'comedy' bundle? what does that even have to do with games? I'm not saying it's a bad deal, or that I don't want this to exist, but the humble bundle name isn't associated with anything in particular anymore, and I don't see why they'd stick with gaming-related charities at this point.

Their focus shifted from "PWYW for DRM-free games" to "PWYW for games" to "PWYW for entertainment". I think that's awesome and manages to reach a much wider audience than just games. This is good for consumers and the charities involved. (VERY good) DRM-free games are still offered most of the time, but between those bundles, they do something else for people that maybe aren't you.

A lot of the complaining about the recent Humble offerings seems to come from people who are upset that it's not their little exclusive club anymore. Many people are upset about them using the word "Humble" for all their offerings. It's their brand at this point, who cares.

Humble's business model is incredibly strong (and focused) and they should expand even more. Humble Movie Bundle?

Acccent

Okay, so you think Humble Bundles should be regulated to video games and indie games only.

But at the end of the day, it's a charity drive and you're really just shitting on a charity drive.

Yes, that's exactly it. I think they started out with super strong bundles and a pretty unique proposition, at the time, and having a clear focus would help them maintain better visibility and brand identity and 'loyalty', which would in turn benefit charities. I'm all for charity drives, and I think it would be more efficient for the humble bundle to stay more focused on what initially justified their name, with other charity-oriented bundles geared and 'advertised' to different demographics. It being for charity doesn't mean it's beyond reproach.

Started playing some games again on steam (civ and torchlight 2) and was wondering what these cards are all about? and badges?
Ive got 3 from each game from just playing but Im not sure what the purpose of them is?
Messed about with the market and put a few items up for sale aswell.
Seems pretty decent but not a clue what makes something sellable

Humble Saoirse Bundle.

Top contribution gets a date.

Yes, that's exactly it. I think they started out with super strong bundles and a pretty unique proposition, at the time, and having a clear focus would help them maintain better visibility and brand identity and 'loyalty', which would in turn benefit charities. I'm all for charity drives, and I think it would be more efficient for the humble bundle to stay more focused on what initially justified their name, with other charity-oriented bundles geared and 'advertised' to different demographics. It being for charity doesn't mean it's beyond reproach.
The Origin bundle managed to raise more for charity than any other bundle before, by far. You are wrong.

Grief.exe

Doing a Sega Action Pack bundle.

If anyone wants to split the Sega Action Pack, I just want Binary Domain.

Aliens Vs. Predator
Binary Domain - Grief.exe
Condemned: Criminal Origins - Frank Jaeger
Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit
Vikings Battle for Asgard

Started playing some games again on steam (civ and torchlight 2) and was wondering what these cards are all about? and badges?
Ive got 3 from each game from just playing but Im not sure what the purpose of them is?
Messed about with the market and put a few items up for sale aswell.
Seems pretty decent but not a clue what makes something sellable

Links in OP will answer all of your questions.

Sini

Does anyone else have this issue where their playtime counters get reset randomly? This is the second time it's happened to me. I'm showing 0.7 hours total for Payday 2 and 1.4 hours for the two week period.
It's still correct in the library's detail view. So there's hope they'll fix it.

Edit: Fixed!

My Magicka playtime was never fixed.

az1ybiH.jpg

This image is from 4 months ago.

Better get in on that before GFWL shuts down
header_292x136.jpg

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Iron Brigade -- MB-2581F480EE399D02 - Taken by Blitzhex

derExperte

Yeah, it's a very generous move from them and it's pretty awesome overall, but again, they could just have hosted it themselves. Now I get the impression that the Wolfire guys - if they are still the ones who handle the humble bundles - just pick whatever they can think of or comes their way without any distinction whatsoever. Up until the bundle... 6, I think?, when you were told that a new humble bundle was available you knew it was a superb deal of 'top-tier' indie games. Now you might as well be browsing Groupon.

They wouldn't be this big if they didn't expand. Some may not like it but it from a business point of view it was 100% the right choice to branch out and the quality of the bundles is still higher than that of the rest most of the time. And it's not like we are getting fewer real, classic Humble Bundles or that they are getting worse, there's just more stuff inbetween. You could basically ignore everything else and just wait until someone posts that HB9 is here (and man, congratulations to every dev who gets in there, it'll be huuuge after all the latest buzz).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm actually counting on Double Fine to switch the game over to Steamworks which will hopefully fix the issue I was having with getting a 4th player to connect properly.

That ball is firmly in Microsoft's course and thus far all it's done is... pull its F2P games from Steam.

Tangentially related to Steam because it was Greenlit, but OMG Broforce is amazing. I gave the free alpha a try yesterday and ten minutes later, I pre-ordered.

Plissken
39v41.gif

Macgyver
39v6c.gif

Terminator
39v1g.gif

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
it having an ORIGIN bundle is precisely part of why it's unfocused. Do you really consider EA, of all companies, to be a good choice for something that calls itself 'humble'? They could very well host their own bundle on their own site. And now a 'comedy' bundle? what does that even have to do with games? I'm not saying it's a bad deal, or that I don't want this to exist, but the humble bundle name isn't associated with anything in particular anymore, and I don't see why they'd stick with gaming-related charities at this point.
If they give all the money to charity then sure, why not? And last I heard, there's no "games" in "Humble Bundle".

It can only be described as unfocused if all you want to focus on are indie games. And the Humble Indie Bundles focus exclusively on them, so that's untrue.

Of all the Sega games they could bundle, that is one shit cake.
"Shit cake" applied as an adjective to Hell Yeah!, does not compute.

Jawmuncher

If they give all the money to charity then sure, why not? And last I heard, there's no "games" in "Humble Bundle".

It can only be described as unfocused if all you want to focus on are indie games. And the Humble Indie Bundles focus exclusively on them, so that's untrue.

I definitely agree. I don't see the problem in HB branching out to include other things. Since in the end it makes the audience bigger for HB and this can turn right around and support indies even more.

FloatOn

thanks! other question: whats the differences between spelunky and la mulana? i never played any of them and now i would like to buy one

Spelunky is randomly generated platforming goodness. La Mulana is a metroidvania with bosses and really obtuse puzzles.

Acccent

Okay, after reading your replies and calmly thinking about it, I changed my mind about the Humble Bundle. Thinking about it as a brand of 'quality bundles of carefully selected entertainment content with part of the revenue going to charities' makes sense; now I wish they'd make this statement clear and free themselves from their initial 'mission', by woking with more diverse charities for instance. It doesn't really matter though, it's just an OCD-esque itch.

right now those are my dream list: any chance some of this come in a indie bundle?
i would like also splinter cell, but its region locked :(
http://rash.p.ht/?link=fdbeeca&payment=tf2_keys

La Mulana already was in a Groupees bundle before. It could be in another one, you never know, but I have the feeling the chances aren't high.

Spelunky just came out, but it will probably be the star of a Humble bundle at some point. It'll definitely take a while before that happens though.

Both are worth whatever you have to pay to get them though.

Milamber

La Mulana already was in a Groupees bundle before. It could be in another one, you never know, but I have the feeling the chances aren't high.

Spelunky just came out, but it will probably be the star of a Humble bundle at some point. It'll definitely take a while before that happens though.

Both are worth whatever you have to pay to get them though.

Humble Spelunking Bundle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom