• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I stopped one night after hitting a checkpoint a couple hours into it. When I loaded up my save the next night, a turret I was required to drop off to advance in the mission was gone. I tried restarting and it was still nonexistent. Fuck that game.

And yet I still talked my buddy into getting it yesterday so we could play co-op. He sent me a text today while I was at work: "I loaded it up thinking it couldn't possibly be that ugly now that they patched it. I was wrong."

As before, 11 minutes of Aliens was enough. That included me giving the game a second chance and it also included the time it took to eat a pizza.

I remember playing/streaming Aliens: Colonial Marines when it launched on steam(an hour before the embargo went up) and going through the first few stages which were pretty bland but if nothing else me and my friend were able to laugh and have a good time when we got to the stealth section. And then it just got so god awfully boring, cutscenes started loading black for my friend, and then as mentioned in my last post about the game the most offensively terrible retcon in gaming/film history occurred. It was kind of fun going back and skipping through the archived video and hearing our opinions on the game change across the hours.

More than anything, excepting the plot event, the game is just bizarrely bland and boring. It's one of the very few games I've played that actually made me think about why I was wasting my time and ponder what I was doing with my life. Was a dark period, bought Omerta soon afterwards *shudders* And I paid $47 for Defiance for some bizarre reason, if nothing else it was a learning experience.
What was the plot point? Spoiler tag or PM me, I'd like to know. I'm still pissed at Aliens 3 for
killing Hicks and Newt
offscreen, it can't be worse than that...right?

Khronico

Just finished up my 2nd playthrough of kotor2, this time with the restored content mod.

It's SO good. I highly recommend everyone try it out. My first playthrough was years ago so I couldn't really identify the restored content, but I still enjoyed it immensely.

What was the plot point? Spoiler tag or PM me, I'd like to know. I'm still pissed at Aliens 3 for
killing Hicks and Newt
offscreen, it can't be worse than that...right?

They (Aliens/Alien 3/Colonial Marines spoilers) bring
Hicks back to life by explaining that he put some random soldier in the pod, ignoring how nonsensical that is and that he wouldn't abandon Newt or Ripley
. It's so horribly written, bizarre, and nonsensical. It's like some horrible fan fiction writer got to live out their terrible fantasies in an actual big video game. The absolute worst part is when
asked how he survived he says "And that's a whole other story" and the game ends

Lingitiz

Just finished up my 2nd playthrough of kotor2, this time with the restored content mod.

It's SO good. I highly recommend everyone try it out. My first playthrough was years ago so I couldn't really identify the restored content, but I still enjoyed it immensely.

Yup, amazing game. One of the better written games in the past decade.

They (Aliens/Alien 3/Colonial Marines spoilers) bring
Hicks back to life by explaining that he put some random soldier in the pod, ignoring how nonsensical that is and that he wouldn't abandon Newt or Ripley
. It's so horribly written, bizarre, and nonsensical. It's like some horrible fan fiction writer got to live out their terrible fantasies in an actual big video game. The absolute worst part is when
asked how he survived he says "And that's a whole other story" and the game ends
Huh, on one hand, I'd take the retcon over the movie, because really fuck Aliens 3 for doing something so stupid.
But on the other, what a cheap ridiculous way to retcon. They were obviously setting up for a sequel that's never going to happen.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Question: What do you do, if you lost your saves mid-way? Do you A)Quit B)Find a substitute save or C)Start over?

Depends on the game, I suppose. In the case of Titan Quest, about a year ago I lost my save after putting 23 hours into the game, so I completely lack the desire to start again, and pursuing a substitute save isn't really an option due to the character upgrade paths; if I lost my current FEAR save, though, I don't think I'd mind starting a new game.

Khronico

Question: What do you do, if you lost your saves mid-way? Do you A)Quit B)Find a substitute save or C)Start over?

C, but with a caveat: If I lose a save I usually take a break from the game and wait to start over. That time away makes the game feel fresh and new when I start again.

Huh, on one hand, I'd take the retcon over the movie, because really fuck Aliens 3 for doing something so stupid.
But on the other, what a cheap ridiculous way to retcon. They were obviously setting up for a sequel that's never going to happen.

But didn't the game made a lot of money? I wouldn't rule out a sequel.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Sometimes I'm reluctant to start a game over for fear of being burnt out, but I'm occasionally pleasantly surprised at how quickly I can regain my progress since I don't have to re-explore or anguish over upgrades; I know where to go and what to get.

Depends on the game, I suppose. In the case of Titan Quest, about a year ago I lost my save after putting 23 hours into the game, so I completely lack the desire to start again, and pursuing a substitute save isn't really an option due to the character upgrade paths; if I lost my current FEAR save, though, I don't think I'd mind starting a new game.

C, but with a caveat: If I lose a save I usually take a break from the game and wait to start over. That time away makes the game feel fresh and new when I start again.
I added a SSD in my laptop some months ago, and I forgot to backup my KOTOR saves, and I just went online and grabbed someone's saves and kept playing.

maneil99

Game moved at least a million units, maybe more, wouldn't rule out a sequel, then again haze moved a good amount of units too...

JaseC

I added a SSD in my laptop some months ago, and I forgot to backup my KOTOR saves, and I just went online and grabbed someone's saves and kept playing.

I'm usually pretty good about remembering to back up saves, but in the case of TQ I lost it due to my SSD's firmware becoming corrupt and so all the data was toast. :(

Tellaerin

I picked up Advent Rising today, that is another flawed game that I will probably find entertaining.

I played that on the OG Xbox, and enjoyed the hell out of it. It wasn't perfect by any means, but I really liked what was there, and it still pains me that we'll never end up seeing the sequels. I really wanted to follow that story through to the end.

I'd definitely be interested in hearing your impressions of the PC version when you get around to playing it, Grief.

Sarcasm

Question about prison architect, the price is what it will be when fully released? I ask because I bought gnomoria and been playing that and wondering if I should buy pa now or later....

So you guys and gals tell me what to do.

JaseC

Question about prison architect, the price is what it will be when fully released? I ask because I bought gnomoria and been playing that and wondering if I should buy pa now or later....

So you guys and gals tell me what to do.

As far as I'm aware, Introversion hasn't said what the price will go up to once the game hits beta and, later, finally launches, but pick up a copy from a trader if the current price is a little too high and you'd rather not tempt fate.

I just bought Rome 2 from this guy and he's offering Prison Architect from $11 to $17, depending on the edition.

Sarcasm

As far as I'm aware, Introversion hasn't said what the price will go up to once the game hits beta and, later, finally launches, but pick up a copy from a trader if the current price is a little too high and you'd rather not tempt fate.

I just bought Rome 2 from this guy and he's offering Prison Architect from $11 to $17, depending on the edition.

Humm..I have 15 USD I got from cards but it may just be worth it to spend the 11...how do I purchase?

JaseC

Humm..I have 15 USD I got from cards but it may just be worth it to spend the 11...how do I purchase?

Since you'll be using card money, you'll need to cough up six keys, which comes to roughly $12.50 at present (unless you have three refined metal sitting in your TF2 inventory, in which case you only need five). His post asks that you use his website to create your order and then send him the permalink -- here's one I've prepared.

I have to say I was kind of disappointed by Ittle Dew. It's not a bad game, but it's a lot shorter than I expected. I haven't done the master dungeon yet, which is an extra dungeon with harder puzzles, but collecting all the pieces of paper (think pieces of heart), getting all the cards except the ones in the master dungeon, and beating all the dungeons and the final boss took me about two hours.

Addnan

I told myself I won't buy Rome 2 at launch, but I can't resist. Will buy it if I can get rid of XCOM and Spec Ops for cheap.

JaseC

I told myself I won't buy Rome 2 at launch, but I can't resist. Will buy it if I can get rid of XCOM and Spec Ops for cheap.

I hemmed and hawed for a while but ultimately bit the bullet. I might actually play the game at some point since I do love the setting/time period.

This thread has made me purchase Aliens: Colonial Marines. I feel like being described the crap just isn't sufficient, I need to live it and dwell in it praying I manage to emerge out the other side unscathed and not covered in shit.

Stump have you played Too Human? I actually liked that one despite the flaws.

I'm not Stump but I played the hell out of Too Human, It's so jank at first but it gets to you. Before you know it you get sucked in trying to get the good loot drops. I even spent far longer than I care to admit glitching drops in that game by causing a creature to respawn.

JaseC

I'm tempted as a fan of the series. But I think I'll wait for medieval 3 to invest some time.

The series has never really interested me much as I prefer base building to battles, though I don't mind when the two are mixed together (Age of Empires being the most obvious example) -- I'm happy just as long as I have resources to gather and structures to build. On a related note, I just noticed that Caesar 3 is on GOG; I'll have to pick it up at some point as I always wanted to play it back in the day but never got around to it.

Grief.exe

I played that on the OG Xbox, and enjoyed the hell out of it. It wasn't perfect by any means, but I really liked what was there, and it still pains me that we'll never end up seeing the sequels. I really wanted to follow that story through to the end.

I'd definitely be interested in hearing your impressions of the PC version when you get around to playing it, Grief.

I'm pretty sure I will enjoy the game. I like a good story, shooters, and I can look past design issues.

I'll make sure to let you know!

I'm not Stump but I played the hell out of Too Human, It's so jank at first but it gets to you. Before you know it you get sucked in trying to get the good loot drops. I even spent far longer than I care to admit glitching drops in that game by causing a creature to respawn.

Kill the first boss and quit out at a specific time so loot slides to you, then kill the spider on 3-4?

I know that spider well. That is another game where its disappointing that we will never see the sequels.

JaseC

that steam trade window..why so clunky & slow!?

It's almost impossible to use on an even remotely flaky connection.

"Oh nooooooes! Sorry, some kind of error has occurred."

Just saw Firefly are doing crowdfunding for Stronghold Crusader 2 not sure if I trust them to make a good game but I really loved the original

MNC

I have a strong urge to play games. It's so weird. I've had a great holiday the past few months but now college starts, I want to start playing games.

Kill the first boss and quit out at a specific time so loot slides to you, then kill the spider on 3-4?

I know that spider well. That is another game where its disappointing that we will never see the sequels.

Yah that entire segment is etched into my memory. Despite all of the GAF hate I too am sad I will never get to pick up Too Human 2 out of a bargain bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom