• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Well, the Warhammer 40k OT in the off topic section sparked my interest, I want to know about the lore.

I'd recommend checking out the books then. Last year I thoroughly enjoyed the Ravenor trilogy by Dan Abnett. I have heard good things about some of his other books too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
When did he confirm it? It looked like he only stopped pushing once they listened and put it back on sale themselves

Well, it could be argued that he did get hopes up when he announced that he was in touch with somebody close to 38 Studios' case and it was just a matter of waiting on keys, but to be fair it's not his fault his contact cut, uh, contact, apparently having abandoned the plan to sell the Steam version via Amazon in favour of making it a Daily on Steam proper.

Game Dev Tycoon is not easy. You can't just do whatever to get through it like the phone game.

Supposedly, Tony's contact was waiting on Valve to send through a few-thousand keys for Amazon to use, but then he began ignoring Tony's requests for info, and about 2-3 weeks later the game went on sale on Steam itself.

To his credit, Tony was at the time recommending people to snap it up on Steam as he had no ETA on the keys.

Ouch :(

Addnan

I am 3 ref short of buying Rome 2. Haha. Gonna have to idle every single game I have left to get that bit for 1 key. I don't want to add £4 to spend £1.3 :(

It made me happy to read this. It was my biggest worry after purchase.

Yeah at a certain point the phone game became a screen saver.

This you have to actually pay attention to the trends, the game type/game genre mixes, do the research on audience. It's pretty fun, and I'm glad it's like that, I just didn't size it up correctly on my first time through and failed terribly.

JaseC

Incoming: Steam & Kickstarter partnership. Get kickstarted & greenlighted in one go!

EA began doing this last year: kickstarted developers that are ready to release their project can get a spot on Origin and enjoy a 100% revenue cut for 90 days.

Any links to an example? I'm curious what it looks like.

Here's A Hat in Time. It's just an extra link in the "Links" section, although separate from the others.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I went to lower the difficulty on Aliens so I could beat the boss that caused my mini-stroke last night. You can't change difficulty during a mission. Missions are about 45 mins long especially on Hard, so... I tried about 25 times. On my final try I managed to cheese the boss into a wall and just abuse the shit out of him. Note that even while doing this, it was not possible to complete the boss fight in less than 1:10 to get the achievement. I died as I killed the boss (remember the mini xenomorphs still do what amounts to the same amount of damage as the boss and the AI companions concentrate fire on the boss, who they can't hurt, instead of the regular enemies, that they can), but thankfully it counted as a win instead of a death.

So, onto the next mission. GOOD GAME GOOD GAME!!!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
(Sorry in advance for the "spoilers"). You fight a giant xenomorph. You are in a square arena with no cover. Regular xenomorphs come in over the walls in a steady stream. There are two AI partners with you. They cannot damage the giant xenomorph, only the regular xenomorphs. You fight the giant xenomorph in a powerlifter (a melee mech, basically).

- The friendly AI exclusively shoots the giant xenomorph that they cannot injure, generally ignoring the smaller xenomorphs which can still injure you. The smaller xenomorphs exclusively come after you, not the friendly AI.
- You move very slowly--because everyone likes games where you move very slowly. You have two attacks, a jab and a slash. Both take a long time and have a massive recovery period. You cannot use guns or grenades. So you need to be meticulous about attempting to attack anything because when you attack anything if you miss you will pay dearly
- Playing on hard it takes about 36 attacks to kill the boss (I've looked it up online--it takes 12 attacks to damage the boss and trigger a QTE-type scene of you trying to crush its head, and you need to do this three times to kill it)
- The boss kills you in 4 attacks; the baby xenomorphs do the exact same amount of damage.
- The boss's main attack is an unblockable headbutt which triggers a QTE-type scene which you cannot avoid. The way to avoid it is simply not being near it.
- Although the game has regenerating health, it does not regenerate during this fight because reasons.
- There are healing items in the arena but you can't get them because you're in the powerloader
- There is an achievement for beating the enemy on hard or harder in less than 1 minute; how on earth can you beat an enemy that takes 36 hits in 70 seconds when it takes more than 2 seconds to go through the hit animation?

So of course I google it...
- In a patch they dramatically increased this enemy's health
- It is generally believed to be impossible to get the achievement post-patch
- There are exactly two strategies to beat this boss on higher difficulties: 1) play in co-op and have your friends correctly target the smaller xenomorphs and hope for the best. 2) glitch the boss into a wall and beat the crap out of it with impunity.

wGIdytd.gif
Someone please gift this game to the Angry Video Game Nerd. He needs to review it, despite being new.

garath

Game Dev Tycoon is not easy. You can't just do whatever to get through it like the phone game.

Truth. Makes it that much sweeter when you finally get a hit though. I managed to make a fantasy RPG when I was in my garage that cracked 500k units and gave me a cool 4.5mil. Instant success. Then I struggled mightily, later banking almost everything on a sequel yo that game including a 2 mil marketing budget. Sent me into the red and almost went bankrupt. Never recovered from that and was floating around 1-2 mil until I banked it all on a new engine and a new combo right as I hit 100k fans. I scored and broke 1mil sales with no publisher and took home a cool 25mil. Now I'm trying to manage a team of 4 in my new upgraded offices and its still a series of missteps and minor successes. It is pretty tough!

Acccent

So I finished Dark Souls yesterday. Impressions c/cd from twitter:

Most of all, I'm impressed by the cohesiveness that shines through the whole game. It's an incredible design achievement. Everything serves this ultimate goal of making you feel isolated, almost desperate, in the face of an unrelentingly hostile, occult world... and yet, you do conquer its darkest moments, through perseverance and focus. You clench your fists and eventually beat it down. You are stranded in an environment that wishes you to die; yet you perceive beauty in it, and you figure out its secrets, and you master it. And as I said earlier, you do this not through skill or reflexes, but through patience and observation. It's an endurance run, not a sprint.

And the most beautiful aspect of the game is how it encourages you to nurture a shimmer of hope despite the constant assaults... It lets you know that you are not alone, that others are going through the same hardships; their presence helps morally and mechanically. And in the vainest fights, it rewards utmost bravery. You endure the blows of gigantic beasts, barely survive, then fearlessly charge them. You throw yourself into the fight, give it your all, strike fiercely and desperately, and win almost miraculously. You sigh... and smile.

It's a game that doesn't make any concessions, but trusts you to overcome all of its hurdles, and as you do, you feel proud and relieved... Looking back, I see this bleak, deep, rich world, and this long quest that I somehow had to complete despite the struggles I went through. I see a game with a vision fulfilled to its fullest, a game that respected me enough to say 'this is gonna be tough, but you can do it.' A game that was challenging, not in the sense that it was 'hard', but it demanded involvement from my part, like inspiring, stimulating art.

What a game :)
So that will be my last update on my progress in the game!

JaseC

I think I'll resume my Dark Souls playthrough once I'm done with Rayman Origins. It should look much better now that I've changed the correct resolution setting in DSfix.

I've played Aliens: Colonial Marines for one hour and I can't say anything good about it.

Terrible. Absolutely terrible.

"I like that it has an option to exit back to the desktop." - DukeBobby, NeoGAF member.

Lost Planet 2 may be one of the best coop TPS I ever played, it's a shame the game will die next year. GFWL really ruined a generation of PC games.
If someone wanna play LP2 or other coop games add me, there isn't a lot of people playing it despite the GMG sale not long ago.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/RobertJSullivan/

tumblr_m9m30rMFoW1qkktc4o1_500.gif

My man! I'd join you but Lost Planet 1 and 2 are unfortunately unplayable on Windows 8.1 beta. The only broken games!

Nah, I'll keep playing. I need to see how bad this shit gets.

After the hilarious stealth section it really just becomes a boring game rather than a hilariously terrible one. The final boss is pretty broken but even then I just found it annoying. The game just feels unfinished but not in an amusing way. If you have any care for Aliens 3 or the series lore in general though prepare to be repulsed!

Truth. Makes it that much sweeter when you finally get a hit though. I managed to make a fantasy RPG when I was in my garage that cracked 500k units and gave me a cool 4.5mil. Instant success. Then I struggled mightily, later banking almost everything on a sequel yo that game including a 2 mil marketing budget. Sent me into the red and almost went bankrupt. Never recovered from that and was floating around 1-2 mil until I banked it all on a new engine and a new combo right as I hit 100k fans. I scored and broke 1mil sales with no publisher and took home a cool 25mil. Now I'm trying to manage a team of 4 in my new upgraded offices and its still a series of missteps and minor successes. It is pretty tough!

Sounds a lot like my run.

Except for never actually getting out of that "bank all on that sequel that for unknown reasons reviewed bad" and bankrupting.

masterkajo

Anyone know when I buy Saints Row 4 from nuuvem can I activate it and play it on a EU steam account? I am asking because on the site it says "Brazil" in brackets. If not, anyone know a good offer for Saints Row 4?

hey i haven't been able to keep up with this thread, I vaguely remember another user was selling games on steam like DunderHassan used to. Is that still going on?

Jawmuncher

So I have a question about steam.
I'm currently vactationing and during my down time I wanted to play some of my games. However I didn't bring my computer with me.
I can just download the steam app and load it on any computer right?

I just have to check before downloading a game that it isn't restricted with only so many installations and the like?

maneil99

So I have a question about steam.
I'm currently vactationing and during my down time I wanted to play some of my games. However I didn't bring my computer with me.
I can just download the steam app and load it on any computer right?

I just have to check before downloading a game that it isn't restricted with only so many installations and the like?

Yup, 99% of games don't have restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom