• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winter sale -85% incoming!

I know, I'm holding off until the next summer sales for a few high profile games.

I've got lots of shit to play through until then (in fact I played through the first two Gabriel Knight games during the last three days), and Rome 2 just released, I also have to get a job, so, yeah.

Some stuff I have been playing:

Systemshock2box.jpg

System Shock 2: Boy is this game long or what? It isn't as scary anymore as it was with the first four "stages", but it still maintains the mood very well and has some scares here and there
WAT TWO RAMBLERS AND A ROBOT, WAT 5 SHOTGUN GUYS AT THE SAME TIME.
enemies are powerhouses and there's lot to search, hack, shoot, read and pick up.
And now the goddamn Spiders are near invisible

Funny how I haven't done so much and I am nearing the end (or I at least that's what I figured: I have been playing like 10 hours in-game plus couple more for quick saves): I haven't used PSI outside Cryosis, I haven't used half of the guns (I didn't start to use anything other than Wrench/Pistol before
after returning from Floor 1 to 6
, I haven't modified my weapons... replay value people! It's the FPS so many aspire to be these days but nearly always fail.

iblvzMKEzTAj8y.png

Rayman Origins: Up to the 8th World and like I said: it's a game where every stage is a stage from Super Mario Worlds SPECIAL world. Best platformer I have played in a long while. I'd like to test NSMB WIIU for comparison but somehow I expected it to pale in comparison (and I love Mario games, 2d and 3d). It's also highly adaptable: I played levels with my girlfriend who doesn't play games very much at all (she did play original Rayman on PS1 back in the days though, heh) and my brother who is on same level as I and with both players the game was challenging but not frustrating. Fuck getting 349 yellow things twice in a row though :p

header.jpg

Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed: Played 3 stages and it was fun... gonna play it soon again. It also looks great: my PC was having a hard time holding up reasonable frame rate on highest specs, now I am 1366x786 and I still get some framerate dips where the game drops from around 60 to 20 (mainly when changing vehicle types). Oh well, it's still playable and I don't want to fiddle around the settings too much (because the config tool is awful!). Hopefully I get more into the game, but from the first 20 minutes I am having a hard time believing that it could even touch the greatness of Crash Team Racing and will fall to somewhere like Diddy Kong Racing and well... Mario Kart levels. AKA the first tier, when CTR is god tier. Damn I love that game.

Super Meat Boy: Hard, but not as hard as I expected.

Mark Of The Ninja: I have said how I feel about the game elsewhere on this thread, but for me it's a strong 7+/10 and hopefully I can finish it sometime soon.

DaBoss

Those were dark days indeed. Let's leave them behind, way behind...
I only participated in the Summer Sale Steam thread, so what exactly is so bad? From my observation, the Steam sale threads are very hard to maintain a discussion due to how fast they are. And then in the Summer Sale thread there was someone abusing ModBot giveaways. Is there anything else that I missed?

Wok

I only participated in the Summer Sale Steam thread, so what exactly is so bad? From my observation, the Steam sale threads are very hard to maintain a discussion due to how fast they are. And then in the Summer Sale thread there was someone abusing ModBot giveaways. Is there anything else that I missed?

They are like Groundhog Day, everyone comes and asks the same questions over and over, because the thread moves too fast.

Moreover, in the end, good guys are bothered by trolls.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, some people insulting fellow GAFfers via PM and being a dick in public. But let's not go back to that, shall we?

Can't wait to get home and play some more Dust. Noogy made a great game. It's a shame I have to work extra hours today.

maty

If anyone is looking for a Zelda-lite game check out Ittle Dew (featured in the Groupees BM9 bundle). I finished it a few days ago and really enjoyed it. The games has a top-down perspective like 2D Zeldas but the main focus are the puzzles.

header_292x136.jpg

You start crashing on an island and you want to get out. After a simple tutorial you meet the shopkeeper who says you need to find an artifact so he can make you a raft. He also offers 3 different items, a fire sword, a portal and an ice wand but of course you need money to get them. This is when the game begins, after talking to him you enter the castle which works as the main dungeon. There you go solving puzzles to access other rooms looking for chests with coins to buy the items previously mentioned that allow you to go further into the castle.

Once you have enough coins you talk to the shopkeeper and ask for a specific item on display but buying stuff isn't fun, so he throws you into a dungeon which revolve around solving puzzes to with your newly aquired item and beating a boss at the end of it.

Along the way you can collect pieces of paper that work as heart containers and cards but those are useful only if you want to 100% the game. In the overworld there are a few caves containting a chest with any of these stuff, I believe can be solved with 1 item except for some. There is also an optional dungeon, "The Master Cave" which consists of 12 rooms that will surely test you skills. (This one has cards inside so if you want to find them all you need to finish it)

Puzzles consists of the classic: pushing blocks, litting torches, blowing up walls and blocks. Of course you need to combine your item powers to solve some. This allows for clever puzzles and different solutions. For example the the portal wand can create blocks to which you can teleport, to do that you need to throw a beam at a mirror and let yourself get hit by it. The ice wand not only lets you freeze enemies and put out fires but it can also create ice mirrors on the walls, so combining these powers makes for some nice puzzle solving.

Another good thing about the game is that it can be finished with all 3 items or any combination of 2, which makes going through the castle a little harder since you might need to enter some rooms another way. You will also find shortcuts in all dungeons and castle that have some harder puzzles in them.

It tooks me around 7-8 hours to 100% the game but it can be finished in less than 15 minutes (there is actually an achievement for doing it) if you know your way around it. In fact it was made to speedrun, adding an extra challenge. On the other hand, it doesn't have any multilayered dungeon, the combat is very simple and enemies are very easy to kill therefore being behind Zelda games if that's what you like. But that is not what the game is aiming for. I also found it a little lacking on the sound and music department

To sum it all up, if you enjoy puzzles in Zelda, I fully recommend it

Sullichin

I liked the atmosphere in Metro 2033 but I found the beginning of the game really boring, walking around as the silent protagonist to the next person who tells me some stuff to do. How does Last Light compare?

Have at it.
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

The Whispered World -- MB-B8A8F7FB73D6F31E - Taken by Sullichin

Jawmuncher

If anyone is looking for a Zelda-lite game check out Ittle Dew (featured in the Groupees BM9 bundle). I finished it a few days ago and really enjoyed it. The games has a top-down perspective like 2D Zeldas but the main focus are the puzzles.

header_292x136.jpg

You start crashing on an island and you want to get out. After a simple tutorial you meet the shopkeeper who says you need to find an artifact so he can make you a raft. He also offers 3 different items, a fire sword, a portal and an ice wand but of course you need money to get them. This is when the game begins, after talking to him you enter the castle which works as the main dungeon. There you go solving puzzles to access other rooms looking for chests with coins to buy the items previously mentioned that allow you to go further into the castle.

Once you have enough coins you talk to the shopkeeper and ask for a specific item on display but buying stuff isn't fun, so he throws you into a dungeon which revolve around solving puzzes to with your newly aquired item and beating a boss at the end of it.

Along the way you can collect pieces of paper that work as heart containers and cards but those are useful only if you want to 100% the game. In the overworld there are a few caves containting a chest with any of these stuff, I believe can be solved with 1 item except for some. There is also an optional dungeon, "The Master Cave" which consists of 12 rooms that will surely test you skills. (This one has cards inside so if you want to find them all you need to finish it)

Puzzles consists of the classic: pushing blocks, litting torches, blowing up walls and blocks. Of course you need to combine your item powers to solve some. This allows for clever puzzles and different solutions. For example the the portal wand can create blocks to which you can teleport, to do that you need to throw a beam at a mirror and let yourself get hit by it. The ice wand not only lets you freeze enemies and put out fires but it can also create ice mirrors on the walls, so combining these powers makes for some nice puzzle solving.

Another good thing about the game is that it can be finished with all 3 items or any combination of 2, which makes going through the castle a little harder since you might need to enter some rooms another way. You will also find shortcuts in all dungeons and castle that have some harder puzzles in them.

It tooks me around 7-8 hours to 100% the game but it can be finished in less than 15 minutes (there is actually an achievement for doing it) if you know your way around it. In fact it was made to speedrun, adding an extra challenge. On the other hand, it lacks multilayered dungeon, the combat is very simple and enemies are very easy to kill therefore being behind Zelda games if that's what you like. But that is not what the game is aiming for.

Thanks for the write up!
I'm currently waiting for the flying bundle since this'll be featured there for 3.50
Glad it's sonething worth playing.

<snip>

Although the presentation is very nice, the game felt very sterile to me. Like I was playing a well designed Flash game. I would have appreciated some depth, simple AI for the monsters, more than just block puzzles everywhere, and a more open world.. but perhaps I need to give it another shot?

The_Monk

I keep getting killed again and again on Organ Trail my good fellow GAFfers, and I can't explain why I'm liking this game. It's the survival thing? I mean you even choose how much food to give to others and you need to search fur supplies.

You can also improve your own car, you can accept jobs, I mean, sure it does look like what it is, an Indie game but it's a bit addicting. I want a game like this but with a big and tense setting. I also played The Last of Us, back in the day.

In this run, everything was going well! Getting food for everyone and medkits. Nobody was destroying items for the car or messing with the map but...THEN

CtTBf3Ml.png

...I now have to face my hardest decision my good people. Don't know what to do. Everyone knows what has to be done but nobody is saying it. I don't want to do it...

DukeBobby

I liked the atmosphere in Metro 2033 but I found the beginning of the game really boring, walking around as the silent protagonist to the next person who tells me some stuff to do. How does Last Light compare?

The beginning of Last Light is pretty similar, and is easily the worst part of the game. The NPC who's with you is a good character, though.

Artyom is still silent, but talks during the loading screens, as he did in 2033. Strange decision by 4A games, in my opinion.

If you can get past the slow opening, you're in for a treat.

Mattiator

New the card game got my first booster pack, lttle dew, would it be worth to sell it for .97 cents, which is current market, or open for a chance of a foil??

DaBoss

Thanks for the Ittle Dew impressions bornlivedie. Sounds really good.
They are like Groundhog Day, everyone comes and asks the same questions over and over, because the thread moves too fast.

Moreover, in the end, good guys are bothered by trolls.
Yup, some people insulting fellow GAFfers via PM and being a dick in public. But let's not go back to that, shall we?

Can't wait to get home and play some more Dust. Noogy made a great game. It's a shame I have to work extra hours today.
Oh OK, thanks.

Glix

Some stuff I have been playing:

header.jpg

Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed: Played 3 stages and it was fun... gonna play it soon again. It also looks great: my PC was having a hard time holding up reasonable frame rate on highest specs, now I am 1366x786 and I still get some framerate dips where the game drops from around 60 to 20 (mainly when changing vehicle types). Oh well, it's still playable and I don't want to fiddle around the settings too much (because the config tool is awful!). Hopefully I get more into the game, but from the first 20 minutes I am having a hard time believing that it could even touch the greatness of Crash Team Racing and will fall to somewhere like Diddy Kong Racing and well... Mario Kart levels. AKA the first tier, when CTR is god tier. Damn I love that game.

Super Meat Boy: Hard, but not as hard as I expected.

Mark Of The Ninja: I have said how I feel about the game elsewhere on this thread, but for me it's a strong 7+/10 and hopefully I can finish it sometime soon.

Sonic Racing blew me away. It's so good, was a wonderful surprise.

Meat Boys difficulty is mainly in the Dark Worlds, and in the secret levels. Don't get too cocky, kid!

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
When are they going to do the Flying Bundle.

Seriously. It's been weeks since the info went out.
Their most recent "thank you for liking us on facebook/being in the steam group" giveaway ends tomorrow. I'm hoping they at least post an update after that.

ArjanN

Sonic Racing blew me away. It's so good, was a wonderful surprise.

Meat Boys difficulty is mainly in the Dark Worlds, and in the secret levels. Don't get too cocky, kid!

Heh, was going to say the same thing.

Sonic Transformed is great, there's a bunch of mechanics like tricks and boosting that might not apparent the first couple of races.

Super Meat Boy starts out easy enough, but it keeps ramping up until eventually it's hard as shit, and yeah, a lot of the more difficult stuff is in the hidden levels/dark world.

I keep getting killed again and again on Organ Trail my good fellow GAFfers, and I can't explain why I'm liking this game. It's the survival thing? I mean you even choose how much food to give to others and you need to search fur supplies.

You can also improve your own car, you can accept jobs, I mean, sure it does look like what it is, an Indie game but it's a bit addicting. I want a game like this but with a big and tense setting. I also played The Last of Us, back in the day.

In this run, everything was going well! Getting food for everyone and medkits. Nobody was destroying items for the car or messing with the map but...THEN

CtTBf3Ml.png

...I now have to face my hardest decision my good people. Don't know what to do. Everyone knows what has to be done but nobody is saying it. I don't want to do it...

Sounds like me not paying attention when I piss like usual. As for what needs to be done... It was just a very large mosquito, honest to god it was.

New the card game got my first booster pack, lttle dew, would it be worth to sell it for .97 cents, which is current market, or open for a chance of a foil??

I've gotten 2 foils from the 7 or so boosters I have had. I always open them myself.

Crayons

Banned
Bought Brave New World. Anyone worried about buying from newegg, (it was the first time I've done it), they took about 5 minutes to email the Steam code. Not bad.

Speaking of booster foil chances, I got a weapon case in CS:GO.

Normally I would have sold it for the ~0.80 but I had never opened one so thought "why not?"

So I spent the $2.50 or whatever to get a key... And got a gun worth about $0.04. I gambled, I lost.

Which raises the question. Is this really a form of gambling accessible to children? Has there been anything said about regulation issues?

Copons

Bought Brave New World. Anyone worried about buying from newegg, (it was the first time I've done it), they took about 5 minutes to email the Steam code. Not bad.

Uh, 11.99$ is a fine price.
Anyone knows if Newegg allows purchases from Europe/Italy?

Copons

Normally I would have sold it for the ~0.80 but I had never opened one so thought "why not?"

So I spent the $2.50 or whatever to get a key... And got a gun worth about $0.04. I gambled, I lost.

Which raises the question. Is this really a form of gambling accessible to children? Has there been anything said about regulation issues?

Isn't it the same of trading card games boosters?
Like Magic, or Pokémon TCG, to target a younger userbase.

All I can think of is Helen Lovejoy right now.

The_Monk

Interesting question fellow GAFfer. Is there any age restriction when creating a Steam account? Gambling can become addicting to those young folks since, in gaming there's already many ways to make them spend money and without some close parental control things can go out of hand. Will it's not really the case, many can trade the cards like they would do with physical cards but like you said they feel tempted to risk in order to get another item, a better one, then, why not spend a little bit more to raise more odd, and so on. I can see a concern now that you mention it. Also are the regulations the same or do they depend on Country? In the Steam Market itself I don't believe it's all equal to all users, it depends on the Country.

I also do not understand parents who have their own Credit Card information on their kid's consoles (like that boy who spent an insane amount of money on Xbox Live items).

I hated 2033 gameplay-wise so I'm holding off until it's like €5,-.

I won't lie and say Last Light has radically different gameplay. It doesn't. It has the same concepts, executed FAR better. I liked the world and feel of 2033 but considered the stealth to mostly be a fail and thus a consistent trigger point to forcing me to play the game probably not how the devs intended. This time around they pulled it off, fully. So if you mean you hate even the concept of 2033's gameplay this won't change your mind, but I would really urge you, that if it's the execution, you try and get a shot of it. I really see LL less as a sequel and more a do-over. It does take place after the first, but it's basically a do-over of the same themes, gameplay, world, but done much better. If that appeals, toy might really like this one.

Of coruse, if you wait til its 5 euro, you have nothing to worry about either way haha.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Sounds like me not paying attention when I piss like usual. As for what needs to be done... It was just a very large mosquito, honest to god it was.
When I played through the game one of my guys got bit and we all made it through. It was a challenge to manage at the end, but I got the super OP bonus of a snow cone machine early on so I could keep doing trades to manage time and find great deals and then scavenge only at ideal times and use food from that to rest a lot for my bit guy to recover rather than use medpacks. Later I got the invincible tires so there was no stopping us in the long stretches of the final 1/3 of the game. For the very end I was selling tons of surplus food and scrap to get medpacks, batteries, and ammo. Combat training seemed like a total waste so I never bothered.

Certainly Australia seems very strict on anything online and chance related. Anything I see is at least forced to specify the actual odds of winning.

Even if there are no regulation issues, I wonder if there are any restrictions or flagging processes on Valve's side. It may seem like a silly thing to say, but with linked credit cards I could really see somebody getting addicted and racking up a huge bill chasing a rare drop or even :weed:

When I played through the game one of my guys got bit and we all made it through. It was a challenge to manage at the end, but I got the super OP bonus of a snow cone machine early on so I could keep doing trades to manage time and find great deals and then scavenge only at ideal times and use food from that to rest a lot for my bit guy to recover rather than use medpacks. Later I got the invincible tires so there was no stopping us in the long stretches of the final 1/3 of the game. For the very end I was selling tons of surplus food and scrap to get medpacks, batteries, and ammo. Combat training seemed like a total waste so I never bothered.

So Monk doesn't have to kill me. Good to know, hear that Monk? Save me!

Merovin

I have a question, if a friend were to buy Brave New World to play with us, can he buy the game download code from America? (Amazon.com) and activate it on steam, even though we're in the UK? Thanks guys!

Certainly Australia seems very strict on anything online and chance related. Anything I see is at least forced to specify the actual odds of winning.

Even if there are no regulation issues, I wonder if there are any restrictions or flagging processes on Valve's side. It may seem like a silly thing to say, but with linked credit cards I could really see somebody getting addicted and racking up a huge bill chasing a rare drop or even :weed:

It would be nice to see the odds of getting foils or the rare emotes if nothing else.

The_Monk

So Monk doesn't have to kill me. Good to know, hear that Monk? Save me!

...I guess I will start over. You see, people started talking and Grief was right next to you, you were so pale and strange that you ended passing out. You didn't feel a thing, I can promise you that. But the rest of the crew was already paying the price.

Also, fellow GAFfer oipic is getting sick I believe, the morale is down. I'm so sorry good sir, I'm so sorry....

hfLejBRl.png

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom