• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
oIAfsDl.png
Quoting for new page. <3

Mairu

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box -- MB-309D21A8E4C2E17E - Taken by BorntoPlay
Dead Space -- MB-75262F3BE5D00FCE - Taken by C00kie M0nster

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I wonder if Namco is involved with Enslaved or if Ninja Theory would be self-publishing this version. Not too interested in the game but if Namco's publishing it I wonder if they're working on bringing more of their published library to Steam.

Cru

ModBot said:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Battlefield 3 -- MB-213AEE5E277A126D - Taken by kevin1025

Grief.exe

Dark Souls must have been so successful that Namco is pulling out all the stops to get all of their games on PC now.

I am fine with this.

kevin1025

Banned
Man, Call of Juarez: Gunslingers is so cool. Such an novel idea.

It's surprisingly well done. The storytelling is pretty cool, the visuals are great, and the game itself is a lot of fun. Techland did well with this one, hopefully the next Call of Juarez is more like this one and, well, not like the others (though I hear Bound in Blood is okay?).

kevin1025

Banned
Dark Souls must have been so successful that Namco is pulling out all the stops to get all of their games on PC now.

I am fine with this.

I would be good with this too. If this happens I wonder if they would bring Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom over as well, another interesting game from the same timeframe.

I'm still impressed by how well DmC's combat turned out given the people who made Enslaved which has one of the worst platforming/combat engines ever made it.

Cru

ModBot said:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.

Sims 3 Starter Pack -- MB-FE8B1EECFC535A57 - Taken by damaph

Ghazi

Enslaved was 'aight, felt I good a good worth out of it when I got it on sale for $20 close to launch. I was pretty positive about Ninja Theory for that game alone.

Edit: Never played Heavenly Sword, but did it really have as much input lag as that gif everyone loves to use showed?

kevin1025

Banned
Enslaved is the game based on Journey to the West, right? I'd probably get it just because.

So basically, games like RE5 are pandering to the vampire junkie demographic.

Enslaved handled Journey to the West really well, I remember feeling the writing and characters were the big draw that kept me moving. The animation was excellent as well, especially with Serkis.

Grief.exe

Enslaved is terrible, but not as bad as Heavenly Sword. Avoid.

I haven't played a Ninja Theory game, but it seems to me like they are just not a capable game studio.

How Capcom trusted them with Devil May Cry is anyone's guess. I guess you can just chalk it up to Japanese companies being Japanese companies, IE throwing rational behavior out the window.

Turfster

I haven't played a Ninja Theory game, but it seems to me like they are just not a capable game studio.

How Capcom trusted them with Devil May Cry is anyone's guess. I guess you can just chalk it up to Japanese companies being Japanese companies, IE throwing rational behavior out the window.

Heavenly Sword was great for a new console launch title, working with unfamiliar tech and having to shoehorn in the sixaxis.
Enslaved had great animation and characters with vibrant environments;
The games aren't as bad as everyone is trying to make out.

You really should try one. Enslaved in particular. They do fantastic facial animations and create charismatic characters that can make a player want to care about them (except for Dante, who I actively disliked).

They are a very capable game studio. One of the better ones out there.

gabbo

Heavenly Sword was great for a new console launch title, working with unfamiliar tech and having to shoehorn in the sixaxis.
Enslaved had great animation and characters with vibrant environments;
The games aren't as bad as everyone is trying to make out.

Is Enslaved the title where you play as the tribal-painted guy named Monkey (or something akin that) and have a female sidekick in some post-apocalyptic jungle setting?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I've been using ME to refer to Mass Effect when I talk about EA games that are missing the third installment on Steam (DS, ME, Crysis) but it just got to me that I can't really use it without specifying which game I'm talking about, unless the context is very clear. It's even worse than other shared acronyms like GoW because Mirror's Edge and Mass Effect are from the same publisher.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
You really should try one. Enslaved in particular. They do fantastic facial animations and create charismatic characters that can make a player want to care about them (except for Dante, who I actively disliked).

If you're inferring that I havent played their games. I have, all 3 actually. They have issues making the game part of their games.

Grief.exe

I'd like to envision these Japanese companies are just sitting around the boardroom, getting high, and making decisions. Or laying out a 'jump to conclusion board' and jumping away.
There really is no other explanation for their decisions.

"Hey Iwata, lets release our next portable console with a super low resolution screen, but use 3D instead! Oh and lets Region lock that shit and not include a second analog stick. And lets make our account system anit-consumer as well"

"Monster Hunter and Dragon's Dogma would be very successful on PC"
"Dude, fuck it. Come hit some more of this meth."

"We spent 400 million yen developing FFXV the past 5 years. FFXIII was universally regarded as mediocre, how are we going to make up these numbers to our investors."
"Just blame it on Eidos' successful IPs like we always do and snort some of this crack off of this hooker."

It just seems like the actual gameplay they produce is very mediocre.

I can't speak for Heavenly Sword or Enslaved, but the general consensus from the Devil May Cry audience is the combat is extremely watered down from previous iterations.

I also got the same impression from watching the enslaved review.
When IGN is saying the combat and gameplay is monotonous and dumbed down, you know there is a problem.

Enslaved was nice to look at but the gameplay was pretty average, middle of the road stuff. I would have been better off just watching a Lets Play of it, now that I think about it.

DmC is still one of the better games of its ilk out there. It's not really watered down pe say, it just doesn't compare in terms of complexity to DMC3/4 which are still the most complex and involved games in the genre. Although Bayonetta probably surpasses 3.

DmC as a game is 100X better than either Heavenly Sword or Enslaved are. Enslaved in particular, as I find Heavenly Sword to actually be enjoyable despite the simplicity and latency issues.. Ninja Theory really showed some major improvements. One can ponder how much of that was Capcom's influence as they had some people working with them and offering advice but never the less it doesn't share the same issues either of their first two games did. Other than shitty platforming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom