• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I know. I need the CoD War Chest pack and MW2 to complete my CoD collection on PC. War Chest has a respectable price last time it was on digital sale on Amazon.com, but I forgot to buy it.

Btw, has there been any better deals on Vampire and Cabelas on other shops (Steam reedemable deals)?

Vampire, no, but Amazon sells this Cabela bundle for half off on the odd occasion.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is there a rule or some kind of way to determine who's posting the thread, or can anyone just say they're doing it and then everyone is like 'okay thanks'? Or are you the official steam thread cretaor around here, since you also made the trade thread among others? :D

No one has any dibs anywhere on GAF for any thread at any point in time. If multiple people want to work on a thread, we ask that they work together and that no one feel as though it is "theirs". There is a thread in the Community Forum that allows people to claim OT threads just as an expression of interest. In 99% of all cases if two people are interested, one person will defer simply because it's going to be wasted effort otherwise. But if both people feel strongly about it, they need to work together.

Most of the Steam crew seem to have a pretty good relationship with one another so I'm confident MRORANGE and Grief.exe and anyone else interested in making the thread have discussed it. I was under the impression that the person who made the thread was typically whichever Steam-GAFfer who isn't banned ;)

P.S. MRORANGE, I can't remember if I PMed you ModBot thread switchover instructions during your absence. I know Grief and a few others have the instructions should I get hit by a train or whatever. I'll PM them to you though so when you make the thread you can do the cutover process. Edit: PMed

MRORANGE

Is there a rule or some kind of way to determine who's posting the thread, or can anyone just say they're doing it and then everyone is like 'okay thanks'? Or are you the official steam thread cretaor around here, since you also made the trade thread among others? :D

Long story short: back in 2011 CLovingWestBrook (rip) didn't want to make Steam threads anymore, Smuggler stepped in and I recall people hating on his OT for lack of effort, during that time SalsaShark was supposed to make the Steam Holiday sale but got banned for 6 months, I stepped in and created the Holiday OT considering as no one else volunteered for the next thread for the start of the year I just made the next thread and Salsa did the sale threads, it just went sorta went like that I guess

It's more or less a case of who gets banned or not that factors who makes the thread.

P.S. MRORANGE, I can't remember if I PMed you ModBot thread switchover instructions during your absence. I know Grief and a few others have the instructions should I get hit by a train or whatever. I'll PM them to you though so when you make the thread you can do the cutover process.

Edit: You already sent it :)

JaseC

She's got funky feet, I say that you shouldn't trust people with feet where the second toe is longer than the big one. Just my honest opinion, sorry JaseC. the woman you're into is about as trustworthy as a nigerian scammer. Trust me I know from my extensive research into the correlation between feet and trustworthyness.

Well, darn, time to go back to my original avatar, then. :p

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I got and finished Gaiman's latest, The Ocean at the End of the Lane, yesterday afternoon and I couldn't help but imagine the character of Ursula Monkton being played by Saoirse. I feel this thread is to blame.

I got and finished Gaiman's latest, The Ocean at the End of the Lane, yesterday afternoon and I couldn't help but imagine the character of Ursula Monkton being played by Saoirse. I feel this thread is to blame.

Cool, is it any good? I'm kind of up and down with Gaiman. I'll get to it eventually, but I have a list of books as long as my arm I want to get to. Reading King's Firestarter right now, but maybe after that.

JaseC

Incidentally, Joe Wright will be helming the film adaptation and he prefers to work with familiar faces.

The_Monk

Maybe I will take Steam Thread VII and then every subsequent iteration will be additive.

I already started work on some new banners.

Great to always see great effort in these Steam-GAF-Threads, I made a banner, once!

Need to start thinking a title for Halloween too.

Grief.exe

Great to always see great effort in these Steam-GAF-Threads, I made a banner, once!

Need to start thinking a title for Halloween too.

Great idea Monk! I don't think the Halloween sale would justify the creation of a separate thread.

Thread VII could fall just before the start of that sale. Could make a Halloween themed Steam thread we could keep using for the following years.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Cool, is it any good? I'm kind of up and down with Gaiman. I'll get to it eventually, but I have a list of books as long as my arm I want to get to. Reading King's Firestarter right now, but maybe after that.

I have to admit I am really unfamiliar with any of his other works besides Good Omens but I thought it was fantastic. The brevity of it all worked very well to help make it feel more dream-like as there was so much information jammed into less than 200 pages. I also felt like he explained exactly as much as he needed to, while still leaving a vast sea (or is it an ocean?) of things left without any explanation at all.

I usually buy into the whole magical realism thing though, so. To make it more in-line with the thread, I'd love to see his writing talent in the game medium. Perhaps something with smaller production value but obvious passion like Kentucky Route Zero.

Incidentally, Joe Wright will be helming the film adaptation and he prefers to work with familiar faces.

My brain is psychic. That's all there is to it.

JaseC

The Halloween Sale is rather small compared to the likes of the Summer/Autumn/Winter Sales as only games that fit the theme are discounted, but that said, it'll surely be noticeably larger this year due to all the related titles that have been greenlit over the past 12 months.

Every time I get a new Humble Bundle, I play all of my Steam games for a weekend. Then I forget about them all. It's a terrible habit.

EDIT: Good Omens is funny as hell. Agreed on the brevity.

Vibranium

Banned
How is MOH: Airborne? I've been wanting to play a good WWII shooter for a while now.

I really liked it on consoles, at the time it released quite a few people trashed it but after Medal of Honor 2010 and Warfighter came out it undoubtedly has the superior campaign.

The_Monk

The Halloween Sale is rather small compared to the likes of the Summer/Autumn/Winter Sales as only games that fit the theme are discounted, but that said, it'll surely be noticeably larger this year due to all the related greenlit games released over the past 12 months.

What is nice is that I have fond memories regarding the themes of these upcoming sales fellow GAFfer.

Halloween is good for those Horror Point & Click games. Many GAFfers getting Amnesia but then they are to afraid of playing it (Cough Cough).

Autumn is that time of the year that days are getting shorter, the sun is weaker and the winds are getting stronger. It's good for those days that you are tired but manage to grab some time before calling the night.

Winter Sale last year was crazy for me because I made that Thread-giveaway-thing and the different time zones among GAFfers were crazy. Never I have drank so much Coffee to keep up with everyone and answering 150 PM's each day was... something hard. But many people were happy which means I was happy too!

In the end I love those threads and the GAFfers who post in it. It's amazing to see the pre-hype about those Daily Deals, then the meltdown. New members joining asking for the same questions that are asked every single time: "Should I get this?" "Wait for the daily deal! OMG". All of this is fun, it can be a game itself if you ask me, voting for the Community Choice, getting that Daily Deals error page every day, getting cards and having a great fun among ourselves. It's a great Community full of great people. None of this would be fun by doing it alone. It's these fine members who made all the Steam threads the very first place to be, to talk and discuss what we like the most in our hobby.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Monk, I totally agree, I got a new laptop just before the summer sale and so was getting back into PC gaming properly for the first time in years, following the steam thread and taking part in all the discussion, waiting for the big sales and laughing at the gifs was a great experience.

Vibranium

Banned
Sales are always a lot of fun, and thanks for the praise Monk. You're right, couldn't ask for a better community than the great people on GAF.

Timezones are the craziest thing, with so many British people on this forum it can be nuts trying to keep up with their time.

Seems like it might be worth considering. Even though it's in Early Access, it sounds like there's already a lot to do in it (Build Space Stations, go to the Moon, go to Mars, etc.).

There's TONS to do, but it also requires going a bit out of your way to learn some basic orbital mechanics, how to do orbital transfers, and a fair amount of tinkering with stock parts to get off the ground. It's a deeply rewarding game though, even in its unfinished state, and there's a major content patch every 2 months or so.

JaseC

Halloween is good for those Horror Point & Click games. Many GAFfers getting Amnesia but then they are to afraid of playing it (Cough Cough).

I was hoping Routine would be released as an Early Access title in time for the Halloween Sale. The game looks great but I don't think I have the courage necessary to actually play it. :p

In the end I love those threads and the GAFfers who post in it. It's amazing to see the pre-hype about those Daily Deals, then the meltdown. New members joining asking for the same questions that are asked every single time: "Should I get this?" "Wait for the daily deal! OMG". All of this is fun, it can be a game itself if you ask me, voting for the Community Choice, getting that Daily Deals error page every day, getting cards and having a great fun among ourselves. It's a great Community full of great people. None of this would be fun by doing it alone. It's these fine members who made all the Steam threads the very first place to be, to talk and discuss what we like the most in our hobby.

Very true.

The_Monk

I was hoping Routine would be released as an Early Access title in time for the Halloween Sale. The game looks great but I don't think I have the courage necessary to actually play it. :p

Routine is looking good from the little gameplay I've seen. I agree with you, however. :p I might even grab a Machine for Pigs one day and just Marathon that with Amnesia all together.

Outlast seems to be part of the PS+ program for the PS4 so I'll hold on that one.

Khronico

I couldn't have said it better myself. Continue being awesome, Monk.

JaseC

Routine is looking good from the little gameplay I've seen. I agree with you, however. :p I might even grab a Machine for Pigs one day and just Marathon that with Amnesia all together.

Outlast seems to be part of the PS+ program for the PS4 so I'll hold on that one.

I have a PS4 pre-ordered on Amazon and intend to give PS+ a try, but I'm still not entirely sure if I'll have enough money to cover it without taking a significant chunk out of what I've been squirrelling away for the Autumn Sale, which isn't something I want to do. Even if I opt to cancel the pre-order, it's no great loss as there are few enticing launch window exclusives; my main desire for purchasing a PS4 as soon as possible (within reason) is that the earliest hardware models are invariably the easiest to hack -- my CFW PS3 served well as a multi-region BD player before it kicked the bucket at the beginning of the year.

Tenrius

Papers, Please is a pretty hard game. I only lasted 8 days until everybody died, barely making any money. I think I made about $15 in total (as in disposable income) and I didn't get much citations. Does it get better or do I just have to be super fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom