• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Soon...

g3eG7hy.png

I just want to say I've started using Enhanced Steam....I never want to go back to regular steam.

EDIT: Also i'm using ES on Firefox and everything is working except for the Card Drop Sorting. I'll see if its something on my end probably is.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I warned you (I suck too, which is why I'm not all that interested in this new wave of "but it's balls hard so it must be awesome right" games)
Yup, I always suck terribly at those kinds of games. Super Meat Boy (though I managed to get to the 3rd or 4th world), They Bleed Pixels, Dark Souls (different genre, equally hard), bullet hell shooters... And still I keep trying them, because there has to be one game I can be good at, right? But no, hard game I try, hard game that kicks my ass and leaves me weeping in the corner.

Don't worry about it, it's kinda the point. I just finished it today and had 329 children in my playthrough.... yeah....
I'm sure I'll get to that death count and still won't have beaten the first boss :p

Turfster

Yup, I always suck terribly at those kinds of games. Super Meat Boy (though I managed to get to the 3rd or 4th world), They Bleed Pixels, Dark Souls (different genre, equally hard), bullet hell shooters... And still I keep trying them, because there has to be one game I can be good at, right? But no, hard game I try, hard game that kicks my ass and leaves me weeping in the corner.
Yeah, I got about as far into Super Meat Boy, and got tricked into buying They Bleed Pixels and Demon's Souls. I don't think I managed more than an hour of DS, and I gave up on They Bleed Pixels in like, level 3 or something, where you have to navigate a labyrinth full of traps and enemies while buzzsaws close it off.
I'm too old for that shit.

r3n4ud

Yeah, I got about as far into Super Meat Boy, and got tricked into buying They Bleed Pixels and Demon's Souls. I don't think I managed more than an hour of DS, and I gave up on They Bleed Pixels in like, level 3 or something, where you have to navigate a labyrinth full of traps and enemies while buzzsaws close it off.
Right there with you guys :/. I never get far in these tough games. Not from a lack of trying though. I'm just not that good, but I keep buying them! I just...gotta stick to Lego games I guess lol

An example. I spent 2 hours in Volgarr and just past the first level. And they expect me go do this again when I start the game again?! Yikes...

Nabs

Welp, after playing Volgarr for fifteen minutes it's probably going to be in my top ten for the year.

Holy shit it's awesome.

Right? I can't believe it's barely in the top 20. I guess people are afraid of the difficulty, but the game is extremely well made and fair.
Total Biscuit spent about 15 minutes on the first enemy spawn.

He also said the game doesn't feature checkpoints... as he died in front of one.
Right there with you guys :/. I never get far in these tough games. Not from a lack of trying though. I'm just not that good, but I keep buying them! I just...gotta stick to Lego games I guess lol

An example. I spent 2 hours in Volgarr and just past the first level. And they expect me go do this again when I start the game again?! Yikes...

There's a warp system in Volgarr. Just head left (and continue left) as you start up your game.

Copons

I'm kinda the same, always keep trying to find a hard game that fits me and rarely finding it.
But when it happens, oh boy, the satisfaction.
Lately, it happened with Bit.Trip Runner, but I remember when I completed F-Zero GX, it felt like I was the king of the motherfucking videogaming world or something.

JakeD

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Huntsman -- MB-5A90234D1C2A51A4 - Taken by Aitor. 8 entrants total.

t1379208572z1.png

the dash in the name might have messed it up...but if you win and the code doesn't come through correctly let me know and ill send it to you directly

Right? I can't believe it's barely in the top 20. I guess people are afraid of the difficulty, but the game is extremely well made and fair.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/247240/discussions/0/846964364002614248/ said:
Game is kinda... meh?

As a 19 year old gamer i was excited for this game as it would seem like a 'bridge' into the 'good old games' but i must say im pretty dissapointed with it... I have been playing around in half an hour and made it, what i only can assume, is the very end of second stage and thats where i called it..
The game is difficult, but not for any good reason. Clunky controls and animations make the gameplay more frustating than enjoyable, to me atleast. I always heard how amazing the good old NES days were because of the difficulty of the games, but was that for these reasons?
I must admit im pretty dissapointed with the game, though im glad that i supported the devs.

Everything just feels right. It's like a long lost genesis game.

Edit: I shouldn't have watched the total biscuit video on it. Does no one remember how to duck anymore?

2nd Edit: He keeps talking about how it's so rock hard and you'll come back in tears and whatever. It's not even THAT hard, people just suck at games nowadays. Sorry you can't just press right and jump through a level.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I warned you (I suck too, which is why I'm not all that interested in this new wave of "but it's balls hard so it must be awesome right" games)

It's not really one of those. Most of that genre of game relies on some level of skill; Rogue Legacy basically relies on attrition. You are intended to die repeatedly in order to upgrade your character enough to not die. Versus, say, Super Meat Boy where the death itself serves no purpose, but trying repeatedly improves your reflexes, control, and ability to master the level design.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest, I really liked TBP and SMB, but they are far too hard for my skills. Dark Souls is different: while I appreciate what it tries to do, I can't say I enjoy playing it.

And it seems Rogue Legacy will become part of that list. It looks like a good game, but I keep dying over and over (probably my fault), which prevents me from enjoying it.

I'm also old for that stuff.
22 already :(

lol, at least you kept trying it until you succeeded, which is a great thing! But yes, losing at hard games makes you wanna try an easy one, but if you managed to complete the first level of Volgarr, who's to say you won't make it through the next one?

I'm kinda the same, always keep trying to find a hard game that fits me and rarely finding it.
But when it happens, oh boy, the satisfaction.
Lately, it happened with Bit.Trip Runner, but I remember when I completed F-Zero GX, it felt like I was the king of the motherfucking videogaming world or something.
Oh yes, the Bit.Trip games are fantastic. Beating the final stage of Runner makes you feel you're on top of the world! One day I'm gonna finish Core, Void and Fate; I can't die without having done that.

Heard the GC F-Zero was extremely hard on the latter races. Is that true?

Anustart

Anyone wish to help my cousin? He's trying to get GTA IV running on his computer, but he says once he launches it it crashes and gives him "Fatal Error WS10"

Anyone know whats up and a potential fix?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest, I really liked TBP and SMB, but they are far too hard for my skills. Dark Souls is different: while I appreciate what it tries to do, I can't say I enjoy playing it.

And it seems Rogue Legacy will become part of that list. It looks like a good game, but I keep dying over and over (probably my fault), which prevents me from enjoying it.

"22 already"

God I feel old.

Nabs

Everything just feels right. It's like a long lost genesis game.

Edit: I shouldn't have watched the total biscuit video on it. Does no one remember how to duck anymore?

2nd Edit: He keeps talking about how it's so rock hard and you'll come back in tears and whatever. It's not even THAT hard, people just suck at games nowadays. Sorry you can't just press right and jump through a level.

Feel my pain.

derExperte

RL doesn't expect you to get far at first, it's about getting enough gold to buy some upgrades, if you earn 300-400g that's already a success. Dying is part of the game, especially the bosses (haven't beaten one yet) are basically impossible with a low level char. Just run around the easiest part of the castle (it tells you when you get to a new area), after getting over the 'must no die' thinking it's not that stressful anymore.

36 here, stop crying you baby!

PS Bought Deadpool because I have no idea why. How much will I hate my weak brain?

PPS Played through Another World HD for the first time, never got far on the Amiga. Then started again on hard (the Amiga difficulty) and I'm near the end again after less than 30min, surprisingly short game if you know what to do in what order but I like it.

Copons

Oh yes, the Bit.Trip games are fantastic. Beating the final stage of Runner makes you feel you're on top of the world! One day I'm gonna finish Core, Void and Fate; I can't die without having done that.

Heard the GC F-Zero was extremely hard on the latter races. Is that true?

Ahah, actually I found last stage of Runner kinda easy. But the three or four before that, they're crazy!

F-Zero GX... my memories are a bit foggy, after all this time, but... last race is like a Mario Kart-ish Rainbow Road where you have to beat what basically is a ghost of the best time ever on that track. There are no boundaries along the road, so you can fall everywhere. There are jumps and blind turns. It last like 3 minutes and it isn't a ring, so let's see, 3 min at 1500 kmh, should be really long, I don't know. :D
It was total nonsense.

Re:Volgarr, when one of you beats it, get back to me about how the difficulty ends up being in the end. It's sounding great but I hope it's not one of those games that frontloads the difficulty and becomes significantly easier as you progress.

Dying is just part of the game's design. Rather than learning from your mistakes or being equipped to take on any challenge from the start, it's about grinding for stats until you make everything effortless. Often times your goal isn't to necessarily "get as far as you can" so much as it is "get enough money to upgrade the stats you want for the next run".

Re:Volgarr, when one of you beats it, get back to me about how the difficulty ends up being in the end. It's sounding great but I hope it's not one of those games that frontloads the difficulty and becomes significantly easier as you progress.

Dying is just part of the game's design. Rather than learning from your mistakes or being equipped to take on any challenge from the start, it's about grinding for stats until you make everything effortless. Often times your goal isn't to necessarily "get as far as you can" so much as it is "get enough money to upgrade the stats you want for the next run".

Volgarr doesn't have overall upgrades so unless the enemy or level design goes to shit that shouldn't be the case.

Re: Legacy, I don't appreciate that design. It's lazy. Might as well be cookie clicker.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
RL doesn't expect you to get far at first, it's about getting enough gold to buy some upgrades, if you earn 300-400g that's already a success. Dying is part of the game, especially the bosses (haven't beaten one yet) are basically impossible with a low level char. Just run around the easiest part of the castle (it tells you when you get to a new area), after getting over the 'must no die' thinking it's not that stressful anymore.
I see. So at first I should only focus on getting enough gold to buy upgrades upon death, then? I can do that. Let's hope the die-upgrade-die-rinse-repeat mechanics don't get old anytime soon...

Got a Rush Bros foil card. Put it on the Market for $5.09, so with any luck I'll get $4.43 out of it. No one has bought my Storm foil yet ($20), even though I'm the only one selling it. Maybe I should lower the price?

And I still don't know what to do regarding Tomb Raider. I'd like to play it, but don't know if it's worth $12.49 (current sale price on Steam). And the Amazon bundle will be 2 bucks higher than that, and I already own the other games it comes with (I could always gift them here, but it's still more money than I'd like to spend on TR). It'll probably be cheaper in the future (this is Squeenix we're talking about), so maybe I should wait.

I see. So at first I should only focus on getting enough gold to buy upgrades upon death, then? I can do that. Let's hope the die-upgrade-die-rinse-repeat mechanics don't get old anytime soon...

I'd suggest unlocking (tagged if you want to work it out yourself)
The Hokage class asap. With it, you'll be probably able to one-shot all the enemies in the first couple of areas. This makes things a lot easier, which means you can get a lot more money, to make things easier. You'll soon be making good progress.

And I still don't know what to do regarding Tomb Raider. I'd like to play it, but don't know if it's worth $12.49 (current sale price on Steam).

It'll be cheaper, but if you are going to play it then it is well worth $12.50.

Volgarr doesn't have overall upgrades so unless the enemy or level design goes to shit that shouldn't be the case.
That's good. I remember playing the Scott Pilgrim demo and thinking that it had the perfect difficulty only to find out once I bought it that it had stat upgrades that it expected you to buy and grind for; it ended up being a colossal disappointment. It's so rare to find a 2D-styled action/beat 'em up made these days that doesn't shoehorn in RPG systems to make it more palatable for people who only want smooth rides.

Cth

Saw Legends of Dungeon is on steam now, is it worth 9.99? How "rpg" is it?

RPG in the sense that items you pick up can adjust stats (health, attack, etc) but yeah it's a brawler for the most part.

Anyways, I picked up Ultratron with the 75% off coupon I got from crafting, after card money I think I ended up paying $1.50 or so.

Card prices are still decent.. 60-70 cents, so I broke even or thereabouts.

v0rtikal

I know everyone has said this already but...it can't be said enough, Activision is the worst when it comes to discounts and I will never support them with such prices.

Jawmuncher

RPG in the sense that items you pick up can adjust stats (health, attack, etc) but yeah it's a brawler for the most part.

Anyways, I picked up Ultratron with the 75% off coupon I got from crafting, after card money I think I ended up paying $1.50 or so.

Card prices are still decent.. 60-70 cents, so I broke even or thereabouts.

60-70 per card? Wow that's nuts highest i've seen for cards is 40 cents.

Cth

60-70 per card? Wow that's nuts highest i've seen for cards is 40 cents.

I'm surprised, it's been out for a while.. but I guess most indie games with a $10+ price tag that havent been in a bundle (?) tend to sell that way.

Of course, my luck I got 3 of the same card.. but sold each of them for 70 cents :)

Jawmuncher

I'm surprised, it's been out for a while.. but I guess most indie games with a $10+ price tag that havent been in a bundle (?) tend to sell that way.

Of course, my luck I got 3 of the same card.. but sold each of them for 70 cents :)

Yeah that's definintely impressive.
I've just been making badges since the cards for my games are cheap. but if I had one with prices like that i'd definitely sell them instead.

Enjoy! <3 you, SteamGAF!

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter -- MB-EBADA21CB51B59A4 - Taken by didamangi
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter -- MB-7EFB94EB823046C9 - Taken by TheSeks

More games for you guys!

I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-12F8D05EADAEEF90 - Taken by chiym1992
FEZ -- MB-D4DB678E4C77BBEE - Taken by bobnowhere
Trine 2: Complete Story -- MB-F93B3784DC590CC2 - Taken by BHK3
Brutal Legend -- MB-CE085A649AD2F097 - Taken by Mugatu
FTL: Faster Than Light -- MB-B09317810A6DAD02 - Taken by blackMamba1187

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom