• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'd suggest unlocking (tagged if you want to work it out yourself)
The Hokage class asap. With it, you'll be probably able to one-shot all the enemies in the first couple of areas. This makes things a lot easier, which means you can get a lot more money, to make things easier. You'll soon be making good progress.

It'll be cheaper, but if you are going to play it then it is well worth $12.50.
This is great to know, thanks! I'll get that power-up as soon as I can.

I am going to play Tomb Raider, yes. But first I'd like to go through the previous ones. Maybe I'll skip Chronicles, because it felt really outdated when I tried it a few months ago and totally not as what I remembered from the PS1 version. But Angel of Darkness is a must, and the newer trilogy looks nice too. Or should I play this one now, and leave the rest for later?

I am going to play Tomb Raider, yes. But first I'd like to go through the previous ones. Maybe I'll skip Chronicles, because it felt really outdated and not as what I remembered from the PS1 version. But Angel of Darkness is a must, and the newer trilogy looks nice too. Or should I play this one now, and leave the rest for later?

Isn't Angel of Darkness the worst entry in the series? I remember my friend who was a big TR fan hating it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't Angel of Darkness the worst entry in the series? I remember my friend who was a big TR fan hating it.
I'm not a fan of the franchise, but to me that's the best one of the few I've tried (The Last Revelation demo, Chronicles on PS1 and one of the new trilogy on Wii).

Big thanks the DyslexicAlucard for Fez!

Has everyone else received their Paranautical Activity steam key from Groupees yet?
Not yet, no. I'm thinking of contacting customer support; I know I won't get my key, but there's nothing to lose by shooting them an email.

Li Kao

I am going to play Tomb Raider, yes. But first I'd like to go through the previous ones. Maybe I'll skip Chronicles, because it felt really outdated when I tried it a few months ago and totally not as what I remembered from the PS1 version. But Angel of Darkness is a must, and the newer trilogy looks nice too. Or should I play this one now, and leave the rest for later?

Well, it really depends on what your goal with this is. If this is even remotely an OCD thing, the new game is a reboot, so that's cool. If this is more of a case of you wanting to not miss good games, older or newer ones first ? I would still say go for the shinier one first, you will have time later to play the others. But that's really a choice up to you.
But based exclusively on the critical reception of Angel of Darkness (didn't play it), I fear I'm missing part of the picture here, why is it a must ?

Edit - Fuck, sorry. I see you elaborated on the why while I was typing this.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Any TR older than Legend is too rough to be worth going back to.

Legend/Underworld/Anniversary are fantastic puzzle platformers. UW/Anniversary have some massive level-spanning puzzles that are incredible gratifying to work through.

TR2013 is like Uncharted but HD, 60 fps and lacking smarmy asshole Nolan North.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So apparently New Star Soccer 5 got a Steam key added. It was previously featured in the absolutely dreadful LittleBigBunch bundle, which I bought. One problem is that since the whole thing was so sketchy, I bought it using a disposable email address that I can't remember. D'oh.

So is that Kerbal game worth $13?

kerbalajyiq.gif

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it really depends on what your goal with this is. If this is even remotely an OCD thing, the new game is a reboot, so that's cool. If this is more of a case of you wanting to not miss good games, older or newer ones first ? I would still say go for the shinier one first, you will have time later to play the others. But that's really a choice up to you.
But based exclusively on the critical reception of Angel of Darkness (didn't play it), I fear I'm missing part of the picture here, why is it a must ?

Edit - Fuck, sorry. I see you elaborated on the why while I was typing this.
I always like to play the games on a franchise in order, as long as I own them. There are few exceptions where I decided to skip a previous title, such as Hitman: Codename 47 (was too outdated and rough, so after the 3rd mission I watched a Let's Play of the rest), and... actually, I think that's the only one. Likewise, the only reason I haven't started BioShock Infinite yet is because BS1 is really annoying to play, so I still can't bring myself to finish it (and I also have BS2 to go through). The most extreme case is probably The Darkness 2, where I want to play the first one before getting to it, and I don't even own a PS3 or Xbox (there's no PC version).

There are other cases where I got the newer games first, played them, and then got the older ones, so I don't feel an obligation to try them (I'm crazy, I know). Like with Just Cause 2 or Saints Row 3: don't own JC1 (plus I've heard the sequel makes it obsolete), and the SR2 port is supposed to be dreadful.

So playing the previous games is not a necessity, but I like doing that. But if TR is really that good, I think I could pretend the other ones don't exist until I'm done with it :p

Turfster

So playing the previous games is not a necessity, but I like doing that. But if TR is really that good, I think I could pretend the other ones don't exist until I'm done with it :p

Yeah, I'd definitely play them in reverse chronological order by "era", so first 2013, then Legend Anniversary Underworld, then the old ones (with horrible tank controls). I'd uh, stop at 4 there, because Chronicles is random flashbacks, and angel of darkness is an attempt at trilogy reboot that was so bad it got the devs kicked out and sold ;)

FloatOn

I found Rogue Legacy to be more about finding the gear and runes than it was about grinding for any particular stat.

Once you find that perfect combo of gear and runes the game becomes incredibly fun.

Don't be afraid to throw on a grace rune to lower the enemy scaling if things are unmanageable while you are learning the ropes.

There is nothing "lazy" or unrewarding about this game. Once you get the upgraded version of a particular class the secondary abilities allow for some pretty unique strategies which become especially needed during the boss

I bought the game at full price and have spent 22 hours with it. It was worth the time and money. Getting the game at 40% off is a steal.

Li Kao

I always like to play the games on a franchise in order, as long as I own them. There are few exceptions where I decided to skip a previous title, such as Hitman: Codename 47 (was too outdated and rough, so after the 3rd mission I watched a Let's Play of the rest), and... actually, I think that's the only one. Likewise, the only reason I haven't started BioShock Infinite yet is because BS1 is really annoying to play, so I still can't bring myself to finish it (and I also have BS2 to go through). The most extreme case is probably The Darkness 2, where I want to play the first one before getting to it, and I don't even own a PS3 or Xbox (there's no PC version).

There are other cases where I got the newer games first, played them, and then got the older ones, so I don't feel an obligation to try them (I'm crazy, I know). Like with Just Cause 2 or Saints Row 3: don't own JC1 (plus I've heard the sequel makes it obsolete), and the SR2 port is supposed to be dreadful.

Hmm, keep in mind that, as Stallion said, the first ones must now be dreadful looking. And some of them are rather buggy too. Graphically speaking we are talking about early 3d games, it won't be pretty. Quality wise the games vary greatly too, I didn't play them all but some of them are considered really bad.

And a tought that popped, I don't want to be all grumpy old gamer but we are practicaly speaking about two series here. Even if Tomb Raider inspired Uncharted, with the new one it's clearly the other way around. Do you want a plateformer with puzzles or an action game with plateforming and maybe one or two quick puzzles ?
Really, if it's the former, you should try to ignore your will to 100% the serie and go with the trilogy that Stallion listed. You really risks being turned off the serie by doing a complete play.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, keep in mind that, as Stallion said, the first ones must now be dreadful looking. And some of them are rather buggy too. Graphically speaking we are talking about early 3d games, it won't be pretty. Quality wise the games vary greatly too, I didn't play them all but some of them are considered really bad.

And a tought that popped, I don't want to be all grumpy old gamer but we are practicaly speaking about two series here. Even if Tomb Raider inspired Uncharted, with the new one it's clearly the other way around. Do you want a plateformer with puzzles or an action game with plateforming and maybe one or two quick puzzles ?
Really, if it's the former, you should try to ignore your will to 100% the serie and go with the trilogy that Stallion listed. You really risks being turned off the serie by doing a complete play.
I only have the games from Chronicles onward, not 1-4. Those must be extremely old by now; hell, even Chronicles is. Don't know how well AoD holds up, and I must be one of the 5 crazy guys that really liked it.

I don't really know what I want, to be honest. I just want to play some good games, and the new one looks like it is.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It seems Kalypso has secured the rights to Legends of Pegasus, which was pulled late last year after the developer bit the dust -- while it hasn't returned to Steam just yet, it's currently on sale over at GameFly (unfortunately, GF doesn't sell the Special Edition).

Deques

It seems Kalypso has secured the rights to Legends of Pegasus, which was pulled late last year after the developer bit the dust -- while it hasn't returned to Steam just yet, it's currently on sale over at GameFly (unfortunately, it seems GF doesn't sell the Special Edition).

Isn't the game filled with many gamebreaking bugs?

Milamber

Ugh, my GTX 460 fan died. Playing any 3D game hard locks my PC. Looks like a good reason to get a GTX 770.

May be overkill on my C2Duo though.

Jame Retief

Neo Member
Greetings to all!

Account activated and first post.

I was catching up on the thread today and thought I would post
( a little LTTP )
my location check-in for my first post.

Another from Dallas, (h/t Iron Badger):

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Dice.... liking an indie game? What?
No, FTL is pretty static and lame. I just thought the gif was a good representation of a new player.

But I do like indie games. Like Super Meat Boy, and.... um... I'll get back to you.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Greetings to all!

( a little LTTP )

Welcome to GAF!

Also, HIB spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-94A9BBEE6CB79BE7 - Taken by greendomo's ghost
Fez -- MB-B658032E1CA100C7 - Taken by vazel
Trine 2 -- MB-65328EEA7A46E104 - Taken by Franck Ribery
Brutal Legend -- MB-FE89E2B47B1CB359 - Taken by 73V3N
FTL -- MB-7844DF1AD51F9501 - Taken by dot

Tellaerin

Greetings to all!

( a little LTTP )

Welcome aboard!

You're a Keith Laumer fan? Always nice to run into someone who appreciates the classics. :D

Addnan

Ugh, my GTX 460 fan died. Playing any 3D game hard locks my PC. Looks like a good reason to get a GTX 770.

May be overkill on my C2Duo though.

There is no going overkill with a GPU. If the game is GPU heavy it will benefit, it will benefit even if you stick a Titan in there. If the game is CPU heavy it will choke as it does now.

Tellaerin

gaf i'm in desperate need for ideas of games to play. any suggestions of games I haven't played from my playlist?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/zkylon/games?tab=all

please put me out of my misery

Depends on what sort of games you enjoy, but Bioshock and Thief: Deadly Shadows both jump out at me as awesome games you haven't logged any time with yet. Might want to think about starting with one of those. : )

EDIT: Hitman: Blood Money's another good one you haven't played. Or are you looking for something more arcade-y?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom