• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PC version of the GFWL store is closing before the end of august.

You wont be able to buy anymore GFWL games!

Crazy. How will GFWL enabled games like GTAIV and Dark Souls handle this? Since they require activation from the server.

If Namco really wants some goodwill, they should patch Dark Souls so we don't need DSFix, and add Steamworks to it. (The game currently shows up as supporting Steam Cloud saves, but they don't actually get saved as far as I know)

Vecks

Crazy. How will GFWL enabled games like GTAIV and Dark Souls handle this? Since they require activation from the server.

If Namco really wants some goodwill, they should patch Dark Souls so we don't need DSFix, and add Steamworks to it. (The game currently shows up as supporting Steam Cloud saves, but they don't actually get saved as far as I know)

They could keep the servers up for a while if they wanted to... out of the goodness of their hearts.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
In accordance with updated win statistics, I slightly adjusted the global throttle on ModBot to be slightly more restrictive:
- All users can only win one game every 15 minutes (No change)
- Users who have won 7 or more games in the last week must wait 6 hours (Previously: 9+ games)
- Users who have won 12 or more games in the last week must wait 24 hours (Previously: 15+ games)

The throttle is designed to only impact the users who are bordering on abusive behaviour, and impacts less than 10% of all those users who win. As statistics dictate it, it will be loosened again in the future. Sorry for any inconvenience. I am not reporting user statistics at this time, and there's no need to name and shame.
Great stuff! :)

Man, this thread is moving fast today. Can't hold up.

Anyway, the Rayman Legends demo is absolutely stunning! Loved Origins, loving this one.
Lot's of little stuff has been tweaked, most for the better. For instance, punching goes a lot faster, and you can now punch and keep on walking. It all feels a bit more responsive and upgraded. Swimming goes a bit slower, and they removed this move
Bop.gif

Instead of that, Rayman does a small butt stomp sort of thingy.

But the biggest complaint I have is the removal of time trials. Atleast in the demo. Hopefully they're still in the full game. Time Challenge levels are great, though. And the music levels are look promising, too. Audio-visually amazing, more Lums to collect, more Teensies, more everything. Great demo. :)

That's good to hear. Hopefully, other publishers start working on patching of GFWL.

I was thinking about linking that, but yeah, it's promising news.

Wait a sec..I know this is the not the thread for MS point talk but does that message mean I have to spend all my points by next week???!!!!

I believe that's the case. Hop to it!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The PC Marketplace closing can only mean one thing: Gears of War will finally hit Steam.

Wait a sec..I know this is the not the thread for MS point talk but does that message mean I have to spend all my points by next week???!!!!

They will be converted to your local currency as determined by the location of your account.

JaseC

Grief.exe must be smiling right now. Batman and BioShock 2 are not far away from being de-GFWLized.

Grief's supposition is that GFWL will be retired entirely, but that's not what is happening -- the store is shutting up shop but GFWL as a service is still being maintained.

Grief.exe

Guardians of Middle Earth announced for PC

Press release:

Been seeing this one on the registry for a little while now.
Probably going to struggle on the PC platform.

The PC version of the GFWL store is closing before the end of august.

You wont be able to buy anymore GFWL games!

Not surprising. We knew something like this was coming.

I thought Microsoft would keep the store up until the end of 2013 though.

Grief's supposition is that GFWL will be retired entirely, but that's not what is happening -- the store is shutting up shop but GFWL as a service is still being maintained.

For now. The store closing is just one more step towards the goal.

Fox318

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Nuclear Dawn -- MB-01A5EB990358AB86 - Taken by Ingueferroque
Enjoy

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Unclaimed Prizes should go to GAF Raffle Box at end of year Winter Sale.

I'm not too concerned. I plan to bide my time and give ample notice before any of them get hijacked and given out. Most of them, honestly, are no-value humble bundle stuff everyone already has. A key for Cogs simply isn't relevant to anyone who pays attention to PC gaming at this point. So when they do get given away it'll be a free-for-all.

I'm open to suggestions that might empower people to voluntarily actually donate stuff of value instead of junk. Unfortunately I won't and can't give away tags or any kind of moderation-sanctioned benefit (as is I'm already abusing my power by registering accounts for bots, approving them, allowing them to leverage my mod account for the post edits, etc.).

Obviously I could throttle giveaways of particular games to avoid thread spamming, but I'd rather empower more better giveaways.

Put it this way. I give friends games through the gift system that I probably wouldn't buy just for ModBot. And I also get gifts from very generous people who want to thank me for helping out (which I am deeply appreciative of) that they probably wouldn't give to just any random. And I wish I knew a way to encourage me or the people who are generous to me to be able to give away more, bigger stuff. Obviously rules and exclusivity helps because it comforts them that their game will go to a good home and not a scammer. But I also don't want to make rules that make the giveaways cliquish as opposed to meritocratic, right? It's tough.

JaseC

For now. The store closing is just one more step towards the goal.

I don't expect GFWL to be around forever, of course, but the idea that service retirement is around the corner and developers/publishers of GFWL titles will make a concerted effort to remove it from their games is a fanciful one.

Eanan

I'm not too concerned. I plan to bide my time and give ample notice before any of them get hijacked and given out. Most of them, honestly, are no-value humble bundle stuff everyone already has. A key for Cogs simply isn't relevant to anyone who pays attention to PC gaming at this point. So when they do get given away it'll be a free-for-all.

Theres gotta be some hidden gems in there that got lost in the shuffle somehow, perhaps the neogaf steam gifts group would be the best place for them, other than a free for all?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm wondering if some fellow GAFers can help me out.

Recently someone put in the following review of Enhanced Steam on Google:

a pop-up displayed on my chrome while browsing steam with this extension installed. it was related to updating google chrome, and i know that google chrome only tells you when to update if the Chrome menu on the browser changes colour to green, orange, or red. i immediately removed this extension after seeing that. this extension is a potential scam threat. DO NOT DOWNLOAD.

I'm not sure exactly what happened to this particular user but I can say with 100% certainty that Enhanced Steam was not the culprit. However, 4 people have marked this review as "helpful" so now this is the most "helpful" review of Enhanced Steam that Google has. It's also one of the most recent.

I'm wondering if you fine folks can head to that page and put in your own reviews and, if you disagree with the above user, mark his review as "not helpful".

Would be very much appreciated.

Daellon

Neo Member
I have to admit, every time I see Grief.exe pop up in the 'Last Post' on my thread subscriptions, I get a little excited. I hope it isn't too much longer, as I'm itching to play through AA again (and actually finish it this time, had nearly 100% on ps3) and then move on to AC in anticipation of AO.

I want to play the Bioshock games--have heard so many good things--but they really freak me out.

DTKT

I'm wondering if some fellow GAFers can help me out.

Recently someone put in the following review of Enhanced Steam on Google:

I'm not sure exactly what happened to this particular user but I can say with 100% certainty that Enhanced Steam was not the culprit. However, 4 people have marked this review as "helpful" so now this is the most "helpful" review of Enhanced Steam that Google has. It's also one of the most recent.

I'm wondering if you fine folks can head to that page and put in your own reviews and, if you disagree with the above user, mark his review as "not helpful".

Would be very much appreciated.

Marked as spam and "not hepful". Those kind of reviews must really suck. It's not even legitimate.

In accordance with updated win statistics, I slightly adjusted the global throttle on ModBot to be slightly more restrictive:
- All users can only win one game every 15 minutes (No change)
- Users who have won 7 or more games in the last week must wait 6 hours (Previously: 9+ games)
- Users who have won 12 or more games in the last week must wait 24 hours (Previously: 15+ games)

The throttle is designed to only impact the users who are bordering on abusive behaviour, and impacts less than 10% of all those users who win. As statistics dictate it, it will be loosened again in the future. Sorry for any inconvenience. I am not reporting user statistics at this time, and there's no need to name and shame.

Yeah I'm in the middle tier probably after yesterdays gifting frenzy to my friends. At least I gave away all my Origin keys to help deal with my guilt. Nice changes though Stump.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Marked as spam and "not hepful". Those kind of reviews must really suck. It's not even legitimate.

I've struggled with people's trust in regards to Enhanced Steam pretty much since the beginning. I know everyone is afraid of having their account stolen - it's the primary reason why I decided to open-source the code.

I would have thought that after almost a year of it being online, 250,000 downloads, and almost 100,000 daily users that people would stop being so skeptical about it.

Tizoc

Great stuff! :)

Man, this thread is moving fast today. Can't hold up.

Anyway, the Rayman Legends demo is absolutely stunning! Loved Origins, loving this one.
Lot's of little stuff has been tweaked, most for the better. For instance, punching goes a lot faster, and you can now punch and keep on walking. It all feels a bit more responsive and upgraded. Swimming goes a bit slower, and they removed this move
Bop.gif

Instead of that, Rayman does a small butt stomp sort of thingy.

But the biggest complaint I have is the removal of time trials. Atleast in the demo. Hopefully they're still in the full game. Time Challenge levels are great, though. And the music levels are look promising, too. Audio-visually amazing, more Lums to collect, more Teensies, more everything. Great demo. :)

It's not a butt stomp, he just punches the ground beneath him, I think maybe Globox does a butt stomp? Fuck it gonna go replay Castle Rock again...

Grief.exe

I have to admit, every time I see Grief.exe pop up in the 'Last Post' on my thread subscriptions, I get a little excited. I hope it isn't too much longer, as I'm itching to play through AA again (and actually finish it this time, had nearly 100% on ps3) and then move on to AC in anticipation of AO.

I want to play the Bioshock games--have heard so many good things--but they really freak me out.

Glad to keep people informed and excited.

We are at a crossroads with GFWL, and the piece of its downfall all seems to be falling into place.

fantomena

Just looked through some of the GFWL prices.

Holy shit. Prices converted from Norwegian kroners to euro:

Dark Souls: 51€
Gotham City Impostors: 19€
Operation Raccoon City: 38€
Operation Flashpoint: Red River: 70€
F1 2011: 45€

Like I said, hese are the euro prices converted from Norwegian kroners. It's fucking disgusting. Thank god for Steam.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Theres gotta be some hidden gems in there that got lost in the shuffle somehow, perhaps the neogaf steam gifts group would be the best place for them, other than a free for all?

Anyone who has given something unclaimed away is free to nuke their keys and give them away using any other method. The reason for the free for all is actually precisely because I suspect many unclaimed keys were subsequently given away or used with another method--so I'd only feel comfortable releasing and reposting all those keys if it was abundantly clear that people might win a booby prize.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The GFWL store is shutting down? But where will I digitally purchase 2007's hottest multiplayer game Shadowrun?

Why do you even have points in the first place? Most probably it changes to dollars and goes to your overall Live account.

i have thousands of points because M$ screwed up some promo a few months ago and i got like $300 worth of points for $100. gonna buy gta V, nba 2k14, wwe, south park, dark souls 2, all nearish release for essentially $20, and if i'm not sick of them maybe i'll double dip when they cost $5 on steam but 66% off the whole store is fantastic.

and no they won't expire until around next august or so

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Hey howdy.

Here are some gifts you've never seen before!
ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam/2 Origin keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

STEAM Medal Of Honor -- MB-C183071CE624834E - Taken by georaldc
ORIGIN Medal Of Honor -- MB-35DA8D264D58675D - Taken by kennah
STEAM Dead Space -- MB-C90B048F8F79E147 - Taken by ZeroXZee
ORIGIN Dead Space -- MB-1153F76BF1D2077B - Taken by DeadlyVirus

Grief.exe

After GFWL is no more, will you follow the collapse of Origin and the EA exclusives moving to Steam? :)

I would rather see UPLAY go away entirely or Ubisoft change their policies.

Origin isn't fundamentally broken like UPLAY is. They have constant downtimes where you cannot play your game or activate new games for significant periods of time.

Just don't force Steam users to run games through UPLY. Make the Steam version standalone, and all games bought from other retailers activate on UPLAY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom