• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

h2F5C846B

This looks fun... but... effort.

KZYFEq9.png

Lint21

Neo Member
Gone Home supposedly takes 1 1/2 - 3 hours to complete.
That's a hard sell for $20 (or even $10).

I agree, $20 is pretty high. I suppose you could make the analogy that it is similar to a movie, but I wouldn't pay that to see a movie either.

I'm having a hard time understanding why Gone Home is getting such high review scores. It seems a lot like Dear Esther. In the Giant Bomb QL, Brad kept saying what an "important" game it is, but the only real reason he gave was that it is based on exploration and strips out most actual gameplay elements. That doesn't sound (or look) particularly fun.

Okay so one thing I hate more than anything in games is being rushed, and now I find out there is a ghost in Spelunky designed specifically for the purpose of rushing you.

Fuck you, game-ruining ghost. And fuck you, Spelunky developers for telling me I have to play your game in some specific way that I don't like.

I wish I knew about this before buying it, or that I could at least give my copy to someone who might like it.

it begins

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
grabbing a 3DS on prime time made me realize that the idea of owning consoles alongside PC is just pure madness. My rig was kinda shitty when I had my DS so it was different

I can barely keep up. Im yet to finish Luigi's Mansion, slowed down on Animal Crossing after 120+ hours, and im just planning on skipping a bunch of stuff and getting only the games I really really want. It's not just the fact that paying full price feels shitty but also there's just too much stuff coming out on PC constantly.
Same here. Haven't even started Luigi's Mansion (why did my sister have to save on fucking slot 1? One of these days I'll have to erase her save, she's not playing it anymore), only completed the first world of NSMB2 (why did I buy it, I have no idea), didn't beat world 8 of Super Mario 3D Land, stopped playing Kingdom Hearts 3D, beat a few stages of DKCR and barely touched the 3DSWare games.

In fact, the only game I've finished so far on the console isn't even a 3DS game (Apollo Justice), but I still keep buying new stuff.

Cth

Blah.. Decided to go through the publishers site to get Gone Home and wanted to use my amazon gift card balance. Apparently it doesn't draw from your balance. I guess this is normal for Humble Store transactions?

Sent a support ticket but don't have high hopes.

Been trying to use this credit for a while :D

Modbot lies, not everything is a Steam key. See the description after the game name.

Wow. This is this first time that Modbot's been kind to me. Thanks very much JADS.

Edit: Sadly, the code doesn't seem to want to activate. Still, it's the thought that counts, so I don't appreciate JADS's generous spirit any less than I did before. It's sorted now. Even more thanks to JADS.

Okay so one thing I hate more than anything in games is being rushed, and now I find out there is a ghost in Spelunky designed specifically for the purpose of rushing you.

Fuck you, game-ruining ghost. And fuck you, Spelunky developers for telling me I have to play your game in some specific way that I don't like.

I wish I knew about this before buying it, or that I could at least give my copy to someone who might like it.
You know you don't have to bomb every piece of buried treasure, or go into every enclosed area right? I mean I've rarely come across the ghost naturally, but it's just something that is sitting there on the back of my head to assess the risk of my explorations.

And even with the ghost, it's extremely slow and easy to run around. You can stay on a floor indefinitely if you want to and the ghost even offers more potential reward
as any gem it passes through will turn to diamond.
The ghost being the big complaint I've heard from people new to the game (and some wanting a means of modding it out) just sounds weird to me with the kind of game it is.

AHA-Lambda

I agree, $20 is pretty high. I suppose you could make the analogy that it is similar to a movie, but I wouldn't pay that to see a movie either.

I'm having a hard time understanding why Gone Home is getting such high review scores. It seems a lot like Dear Esther. In the Giant Bomb QL, Brad kept saying what an "important" game it is, but the only real reason he gave was that it is based on exploration and strips out most actual gameplay elements. That doesn't sound (or look) particularly fun.

Yeah, I like the look of Gone Home but there's no way I'm paying that price for it.

Ledsen

Crossposted from the Space Hulk thread (play this game):

You are the Emperor's chosen. You are Terminators. You can take on anything... but they are many. And they are fast. You can hear them running down the narrow metal corridors of the abandoned ship. The Space Hulk. Clank. Clank. Clank. Closer and closer. They are behind you now. You try to to turn around. Your armor hisses and strains as the joints struggle to move. It weighs more than a ton, and that is what saves you. The Genestealer is on your back, screeching and scratching with it's razor blade claws. In the corner of your eye, the reflection of a hundred teeth snapping. But you don't fall. You turn around, pressing your storm bolter to the creatures gut. Trigger. Kickback. It falls to the floor in a lifeless heap of purple and black. Behind it... behind it are a thousand, ten thousand of its brethren. But you will not stand alone. As you check your bolter and turn your eyes to the dark, glistening corridor ahead, you can hear them forming up around you.

"Brothers. We are the fist of the Emperor. We stand together. And today, we die together."

Calendar updated (first page, post #10 and post #18). Among other things, I added these games:

08/29/2013 - Guardians of Middle-earth - MOBA - Warner Bros./Zombie Studios - $19.99
09/18/2013 - Foul Play - Action - Devolver Digital/Mediatonic - $19.99
uO5LKg2.jpg

2013 - Football Manager 2014 - Simulation - SEGA/Sports Interactive - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

2013 - Shadow Warrior - Action - Devolver Ditigal/Flying Wild Hog - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

2014 - Balrum - RPG - Balcony Team/Balcony Team - $XX.XX
2014 - Fran Bow - Adventure - Kill Monday/Kill Monday - $XX.XX
2014 - Tropico 5 - Simulation - Kalypso Media/Haemimont Studios - $XX.XX
TBA - Full Mojo Rampage - Action - Over The Top Games/Over The Top Games - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

TBA - Defense Grid 2 - Tower Defense - Hidden Path Entertainment/Hidden Path Entertainment - $XX.XX
TBA - Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - Action/RPG - Blizzard Entertainment/Blizzard Entertainment - $XX.XX
TBA - Dungeon of the Endless - ? - Amplitude Studios/Amplitude Studios - $XX.XX
TBA - Legacy of Kain: Nosgoth - ? - Square Enix/? - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

TBA - Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death - Action - 505 Games/Zootfly - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

TBA - Nether - Survival horror - Phosphor Games/Phosphor Games - $XX.XX
TBA - Tiny Brains - Puzzle - Spearhead Games/Spearhead Games - $XX.XX
TBA - Spire - FPS - Hitbox Team/Hitbox Team - $XX.XX

Defense Grid 2?! My day's just getting better and better.

Cru

Enjoy

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Thomas Was Alone -- MB-B21C23B5E47B5CEA - Taken by BorntoPlay

Salsa

I just read a report saying that Uruguay's most similar country in the world is Australia

I suddenly have this weird feeling like watching some saoirse ronan movies

Really enjoying Thief 2. Chaos Theory is still my favorite stealth game and I'm partial to third person because I like seeing my character and admiring the animations, but Thief 2 would definitely be in my top 5

As in:
Chaos Theory
Blood Money
Mark of the Ninja
Arkham City
Thief 2

Addnan

Really enjoying Thief 2. Chaos Theory is still my favorite stealth game and I'm partial to third person because I like seeing my character and admiring the animations, but Thief 2 would definitely be in my top 5

As in:
Chaos Theory
Blood Money
Mark of the Ninja
Arkham City
Thief 2

Arkham City is stealth? I've been playing my Batman all wrong.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You know you don't have to bomb every piece of buried treasure, or go into every enclosed area right? I mean I've rarely come across the ghost naturally, but it's just something that is sitting there on the back of my head to assess the risk of my explorations.

And even with the ghost, it's extremely slow and easy to run around. You can stay on a floor indefinitely if you want to and the ghost even offers more potential reward
as any gem it passes through will turn to diamond.
The ghost being the big complaint I've heard from people new to the game (and some wanting a means of modding it out) just sounds weird to me with the kind of game it is.
If you have rarely come across it naturally, you are a very different style of player and won't understand.

Spelunky seems to have legitimately fun platforming exploration, nice style, nice music, nice personality... and then doesn't let me enjoy it because I have to (relative to my natural pace of playing games) run through. Yes, I know I don't have to see the whole level or collect things, but for me it is more a matter of stopping to smell the roses. It's not about the goal, it is the journey, and the ghost makes it so you have to skip half the journey and the half you are left with more risky and less fun.

Spelunky wants to be about the goal rather than the journey, while simply swiping shit on the side. It's clear that the purpose of this is for risk/reward skill play required to get higher scores on leaderboards, something that doesn't appeal to me at all. They could just have a timer-based multiplier on your money score and it would function exactly the same way for "skill" play and leaderboard ranking, but I guess that just makes too much sense in appeal to all kinds of players rather than forcing them to be mirror images of yourself as the developer.

It's a narcissistic design very common in games today and to me it ruins the experience. I won't be returning to try and adjust or understand where they are coming from with their design decisions. I have played games long enough and given enough games very long trials (20 hours with Dark Souls most recently) to know that I won't agree. It's interesting to me that most people who don't like these games get frustrated with the dying, but I am frustrated with all the other ways you are robbed of their enjoyable aspects. Rogue Legacy will be the last roguelike I try before I give up on the genre forever.

Dice, maybe try and play an actual roguelike? turn-based, go at your own pace, methodical? spelunky and rogue legacy arent indicative of the genre.

derExperte

Apparently. I should reactivate my shitty gaming blog from 4 years ago. Only problem is I can't write anything worth a damn.

Write some gibberish in German like maybe he does in whatever he writes in and none of the American indiedevs will ever know. It's foolproof!

Actually we could do it together, would look 100% more professional.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Dice, maybe try and play an actual roguelike? turn-based, go at your own pace, methodical? spelunky and rogue legacy arent indicative of the genre.
I am not being rash. I have likely played every roguelike you can think of. The genre itself has a common problem, one that Spelunky actually looked to avoid, but then it introduced a new one.

Salsa

nor is Dark Souls

he's confusing roguelike with permadeath, one is just a common feature on the other

Spelunky is roguelike-like in the randomization and permadeath aspects, other than that it's nothing like the genre

louiedog

Apparently. I should reactivate my shitty gaming blog from 4 years ago. Only problem is I can't write anything worth a damn.

EDIT: Well I got linked on Kotaku once. Back in the day I thought that meant something.

Your writing skill doesn't matter. I knew someone who started up a game blog and all of his reviews were poorly written, about 2 paragraphs long, overly nice (can't stop that free game train), and, when I'd checked his stats because he was on my friends list, usually written about 1/3 of the way through the main story. Mercifully it didn't last long and he didn't end up getting very much out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom