• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
amazing, been looking for this! It would be possible to have a link in your profile to http://steamplaytime.appspot.com/ ?

This site has come a long way, but I don't like that so many games are still based on an estimate which is based on an average. I've bookmarked it to review in the future though. :)

fantomena

You mean you beg for free games by posting a review on a personal blog? Yikes :/

Sometimes I beg, but I actually get games automatic from EA, Sony, Activision and kalypso. Some other publishers I most send a mail to about 2 weeks before the game releases if I want that exact game to review. Square, Namco Bandai and Deep Silver are really hard to contact.

Sparing money is cool, but Im doing it most because I love to write reviews.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
nor is Dark Souls

he's confusing roguelike with permadeath, one is just a common feature on the other

Spelunky is roguelike-like in the randomization and permadeath aspects, other than that it's nothing like the genre
Why get into semantics when you can just expand the definition to match the reality? When you get into "roguelike-like" it's just stupid. Let it have a broader meaning, just like "RPG" has now.

r3n4ud

Sometimes I beg, but I actually get games automatic from EA, Sony, Activision and kalypso. Some other publishers I most send a mail to about 2 weeks before the game releases if I want that exact game to review. Square, Namco Bandai and Deep Silver are really hard to contact.

I understand asking the big ass devs. But c'mon, indie games? They need sales man, not giving away their games for free lol

Salsa

Why get into semantics when you can just expand the definition to match the reality? When you get into "roguelike-like" it's just stupid. Let it have a broader meaning, just like "RPG" has now.

I agree brah

I just asked on the Volition stream if Saints Row IV will have Steam Workshop support and they said they're looking into it and it probably will in the future

that'd be insane

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
... Rogue Legacy will be the last roguelike I try before I give up on the genre forever.

I generally don't care for FPS or real-time strategy. I tend to just stay away from the genres rather than subject myself then complain about every game in them, though.

Have you tried Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup? What did you think about Dungeons of Dredmor?

Cth

Dice, maybe try and play an actual roguelike? turn-based, go at your own pace, methodical? spelunky and rogue legacy arent indicative of the genre.

IMO, Spelunky is clearly meant to evoke Indiana Jones imagery, from the outfit to the boulder and gold idols, etc.

It's meant to be fast paced and on the run. Sure there was a moment before he picked up the idol that was quiet, but from there it was dangerous, etc.

Anyways there was a demo, right? At least the old version on their website. Lots of existing footage from Xbox 360, etc.

fantomena

I understand asking the big ass devs. But c'mon, indie games? They need sales man, not giving away their games for free lol

I buy most of the indie games I want. But the reason Im not buying Gone Home before a sale if I don't get a review copy is because 17,09€ is too high price for me. Would buy it if it costed like 13,99€.

Freezard

Still up.

Freezard said:
Woohoo, just noticed I am no longer a junior! All Steam keys.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Mirror's Edge -- MB-938C3C81B71568D9 - Taken by kutthoat5150
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box -- MB-B8974D57AB8C5B08
Dead Space -- MB-56B4D80B3DF7FB3D

Dice, maybe try and play an actual roguelike? turn-based, go at your own pace, methodical? spelunky and rogue legacy arent indicative of the genre.
Was considering Dungeons of Dredmor, yay or nay?

---
Just going to try my luck, one last time:

Anyone have a copy of QUBE they're willing to trade?
Games I have to trade can be seen here, if interested. I'll trade any game, or any number of games.

(Sorry, if trading requests aren't allowed here)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
whats the common problem?
It has been my experience that all of them rely on keeping the player in ignorance by killing them, but after enough time/deaths, you learn how things work. Once you know how they work, you succeed, but it is static, mindless, unengaging gameplay. I don't get angry from dying, but I also don't get a boner from dying like fans of roguelikes seem to. I also see right through the death mechanic to see the stale gameplay from the start, and I don't look at my hour count and think it was a good experience based on that. I also feel no great sense of accomplishment from doing something I could have done the first time if I simply knew the static mechanics they purposefully leave you ignorant of for an illusion of development.

Learning doesn't feel like "getting better" to me, it's simply a matter of time. What I am doing in the meantime has to be fun, but with these games it seems that the death and finding out is intended to be the enjoyable aspect in itself, because the rest of the gameplay leaves you with little real options or dynamics to have your own style and way of playing with it. Even something with limited options can be expressive, but not so with these. Now this is where fans of the genre try to pop in and describe all the "different" ways people play their game of choice, but I disagree that they are fundamentally different and we get in an amazingly obnoxious argument.

derExperte

Maybe I'm missing something and not to be snarky but where are all those reviews? The blog you link to in your profile is pretty empty. Is that really already enough to get pubs/devs to send you games?

mrgone

Was considering Dungeons of Dredmor, yay or nay?

---
Just going to try my luck, one last time:

Anyone have a copy of QUBE they're willing to trade?
Games I have to trade can be seen here, if interested. I'll trade any game, or any number of games.

(Sorry, if trading requests aren't allowed here)

Dungeons of Dredmor is totally rad if you like the roguelikes. Fully great game. Viking wizardry.

fantomena

Maybe I'm missing something and not to be snarky but where are all those reviews? The blog you link to in your profile is pretty empty. Is that really enough to get pubs/devs to send you games?

www.fantomena.wordpress.com is my new blog I made a few weeks ago. I had www.fantomena.bloggr.no where over 200 of my reviews were published, but Bloggr.no died due to DDOS attacks and spammers, so I needed to go over to worpress and start new.

3phemeral

Another thread, another year older. I always somehow manage to make it back into each new thread, even though I've been catching up to my endless backlog.

fantomena

Wok

I have just finished Gone Home, and this is a good comptetitor for the Indie GOTY.

The game takes the best of Amnesia, Bioshock, and Dear Esther; and it contains a good story.

is there any benefit to playing mirrors edge on normal (unlocks or areas only seen on higher difficulties) or am i ok to just play on easy?

Turfster

is there any benefit to playing mirrors edge on normal (unlocks or areas only seen on higher difficulties) or am i ok to just play on easy?

It's been... quite a few years, but I think the difficulty slider only influenced the enemies, really, and you want those as easy as you want because they fuck up the whole flow of the game. Fuck whoever thought the game had to have combat.

FFFFFFFF I think dishonored fucked up my Brigmore saves. The last one is a quicksave mistake on a death, so when I go back to either of the 2 autosaves before it, it crashes to desktop with a memory error...

It's been... quite a few years, but I think the difficulty slider only influenced the enemies, really, and you want those as easy as you want because they fuck up the whole flow of the game. Fuck whoever thought the game had to have combat.

yeah i just want to run around and have fun i don't want this kind of game to be frustrating, thanks

Nabs

Try playing without Runner Vision or whatever they call that red stuff. Just turn it back on if you find it too difficult.

Try playing without Runner Vision or whatever they call that red stuff. Just turn it back on if you find it too difficult.

any particular reason or just to make that stuff less obvious? i'll do that, just in the tutorial now. am i the only one who thinks LT should be jump and LB should be duck, instead of having the bumper jump? seems goofy but maybe i just played too much BLEED

Nabs

any particular reason or just to make that stuff less obvious? i'll do that, just in the tutorial now. am i the only one who thinks LT should be jump and LB should be duck, instead of having the bumper jump? seems goofy but maybe i just played too much BLEED

I found the game more fun with a slight touch of exploration, but I know it's not for everyone.

FloatOn

I just caught up on 6 pages of steamGAF. This is the weirdest I think I've seen this thread. Well done.

in other news I got payday 2 issues resolved and it's crazy how much better it is over the first.

edit: in the off chance you guys get a black border around your payday 2 game. make the game run in windowed. exit. then make it go full screen and you are golden.

Salsa

I just caught up on 6 pages of steamGAF. This is the weirdest I think I've seen this thread. Well done.

in other news I got payday 2 issues resolved and it's crazy how much better it is over the first.

edit: in the off chance you guys get a black border around your payday 2 game. make the game run in windowed. exit. then make it go full screen and you are golden.

im still lookin for a way to force AA. Downsampling gives me mouse lag.

PC games with no AA options in 2013, gg

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
im still lookin for a way to force AA. Downsampling gives me mouse lag.

PC games with no AA options in 2013, gg

Yeah, I really like Payday 2 but the jaggies everywhere are killer. Looks like shit. I can downsample it and still get a solid 60, but it feels like I'm playing underwater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom