• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Valve engineer finally poked his head into the "360 Controller Not Working in BPM" thread.

I sent him in eMail with some details on the issue along with a system info file, hopefully this will be fixed soon!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone know why Steam would be showing in different languages on the browser? I was looking at my account on the laptop and now on my PC and I have French and Scandinavian languages.

chugen

have fun

btw dead space, medal of honor and burnout are not taken here
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 23 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Alien Shooter 2 Conscription -- MB-AE96F00414A18A2C - Taken by Motorbreath
Vigil: Blood Bitterness -- MB-8C87632A1F804BA9 - Taken by trailmix16
RIP Trilogy -- MB-167F18354E8B117A - Taken by IamAwake
Post Apocalyptic Mayhem -- MB-67AED324672B91DD - Taken by alr1ght
The Showdown Effect #2 -- MB-B0879321B041E3DE - Taken by mingoguaya
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-8D0D5B8189E60D05 - Taken by Thezez
The Showdown Effect -- MB-580775C33FE96B42 - Taken by Alien8
Avencast Rise of the Mage -- MB-C9C9602F3EADF55A - Taken by 28 Posts Later
Botanicula -- MB-D16333D5178BE31E - Taken by Overdoziz
Jagged Alliance 2 Wildfire -- MB-F1BE5F9F9BBE787A - Taken by Ingueferroque
Scratches -- MB-359D0AFE970193F3 - Taken by r3n4ud
Restaurant Empire 2 -- MB-E1EE3DB2F1682FE4 - Taken by Aitor
Earth 2160 -- MB-DEAB190929BF26EE - Taken by Tellaerin
Botanicula #2 -- MB-4D83BB6151BD7D40 - Taken by Out_Of_Ammo
Tropico 3 -- MB-99DF0A1DC43E52C6 - Taken by BruteUA
Patrician IV -- MB-FBD37FFB2C9D75C7 - Taken by PandaPedinte
Alien Shooter 2 Reloaded -- MB-1E048E1BDADE7755 - Taken by chixdiggit
Robin Hood The Legend of Sherwood -- MB-0F3C9BC78938F957 - Taken by Volotaire
Alien Shooter -- MB-D634959113AB9787 - Taken by ZeroXZee
Pacific Storm -- MB-F9506D7AE7DC1300 - Taken by Kifimbo
Thomas Was Alone #2 -- MB-BA73A98878A20E03 - Taken by JDHarbs
McPixel -- MB-AF846619CF303311 - Taken by greendomo's ghost
McPixel #2 -- MB-A8CCFF9981BBBB91 - Taken by LiquidMetal14

I'm sold. The Rayman Legends demo was great (except for Uplay). Probably should finish Origins first though. Took me a while, but I'm actually enjoying that now.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
any particular reason or just to make that stuff less obvious? i'll do that, just in the tutorial now. am i the only one who thinks LT should be jump and LB should be duck, instead of having the bumper jump? seems goofy but maybe i just played too much BLEED
I think you should leave the red markers on for your first playthrough. And definitely play it with k&m, it often requires some quick movements and turns.

It has been my experience that all of them rely on keeping the player in ignorance by killing them, but after enough time/deaths, you learn how things work. Once you know how they work, you succeed, but it is static, mindless, unengaging gameplay. I don't get angry from dying, but I also don't get a boner from dying like fans of roguelikes seem to. I also see right through the death mechanic to see the stale gameplay from the start, and I don't look at my hour count and think it was a good experience based on that. I also feel no great sense of accomplishment from doing something I could have done the first time if I simply knew the static mechanics they purposefully leave you ignorant of for an illusion of development.

Learning doesn't feel like "getting better" to me, it's simply a matter of time. What I am doing in the meantime has to be fun, but with these games it seems that the death and finding out is intended to be the enjoyable aspect in itself, because the rest of the gameplay leaves you with little real options or dynamics to have your own style and way of playing with it. Even something with limited options can be expressive, but not so with these. Now this is where fans of the genre try to pop in and describe all the "different" ways people play their game of choice, but I disagree that they are fundamentally different and we get in an amazingly obnoxious argument.
If you knew the intricacies about most games going into them I'm sure you could also beat them on the first attempt. I disagree that that's the only element to it however, there's very little in Spelunky to surprise me, but I end up dying swiftly and frequently. Was it because I didn't know any better? No, usually mistiming, execution failure, or a risk that didn't pay off.

With the random generation of the level layouts and the fact that a complete run lasts around 10 minutes, the fun I find comes from tackling the challenging scenarios that the game provides and it's not a drag to go back into it over and over.

Anybody want to chip in $6 for a Hammerwatch four-pack?

LiquidMetal14? I'm assuming you didn't get enough replies last night?

1. PixyJunket
2. PixyJunket
3. ?
4. ?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anybody want to chip in $6 for a Hammerwatch four-pack?

LiquidMetal14? I'm assuming you didn't get enough replies last night?

1. PixyJunket
2. PixyJunket
3. LiquidMetal14
4. ?

You're right, I'm in. Thank you for hosting brother. I didn't get any responses other than from you.

And thanks chugen for McPixel.

EEpXJWF.gif

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
If you knew the intricacies about most games going into them I'm sure you could also beat them on the first attempt. I disagree that that's the only element to it however, there's very little in Spelunky to surprise me, but I end up dying swiftly and frequently. Was it because I didn't know any better? No, usually mistiming, execution failure, or a risk that didn't pay off.

With the random generation of the level layouts and the fact that a complete run lasts around 10 minutes, the fun I find comes from tackling the challenging scenarios that the game provides and it's not a drag to go back into it over and over.

Yep. Even when you know how everything works in Spelunky it still doesn't take much to snowball into your doom. It certainly never becomes static, mindless, unengaging gameplay. Let's face it, the game is just extremely challenging and demanding and that's not for everyone. I can only handle it for brief periods before I become frustrated, myself.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yes, as I said, Spelunky seems like it is different from the others and actually contains the elements of a compelling platformer exploration game.

I'm glad your money wasn't wasted on something that you would find wholly enjoyable if it weren't for a single feature that affects everything else in a way you don't enjoy.

Even with understanding of a rogue-likes (or games with rogue-like elements if we're going to be pedantic) intricacies you can still be left at the mercy of the randomised aspects, which can be frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom