• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I just bought the jagged alliance collection today.... Boy, this game was a lot worse than I thought. I played 15 minutes of it a while ago and thought 'eh seems fun, maybe I'll pick it up sometime'. Runs like crap, the game looks mediocre at best, almost no graphics settings whatsoever, AI is garbage, sometimes my mercs will just get randomly unselected for no reason, mercs will not get out of the way of each other to shoot (killing each other in the process), game is just BAD. DO NOT BUY.

Ouch. I wonder how bad Jagged Alliance Online is; I have the DLC that makes it downloadable and unlocks the "100 hour single player campaign" but I'm kinda scared to try now.

Grief.exe

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Oh my god why does Tomb Raider run like shit?

Underworld had rock solid 60fps with max everything and 4xSSAA.

In this I set everything to medium, only FXAA, and 720p and it still has drops to 50fps.

It doesn't even look better than Underworld!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I always forget Steam doesn't remove games from my wishlist if I buy them elsewhere, I'm doing it manually now and there's so much stuff there I already have haha. Granted, my wishlist is kind of ridiculous too (I wishlist anything I have a remote interest on for the sake of discount notifications).

If you haven't already, you should install Enhanced Steam which will highlight these games and make them easier to remove. I'm also working on a new button that will clear all of the games you already own from your wishlist with one click.

derExperte

In this I set everything to medium, only FXAA, and 720p and it still has drops to 50fps.

The new one? Seriously? It's one of the best lookings games this year, of course it runs worse than the old ones.

steveovig

Are the original Red Faction games still good? They've got the first two for $2 each and I'd like to try one out and was wondering if either was worth it.

Overdoziz

Banned
Its sad because Crysis 1 had so much potential.
With more interesting enemies and the openness of the first half of Crysis 1 they could've really made something special. Some people will hate me for saying this, but I feel like Halo is Crysis done right, to a certain extent at least. Halo offers a more diverse sandbox, with more interesting enemies with fairly open levels (although not as much as Crysis 1) so you can approach encounters in different ways. Crysis does manage to mix things up with the suit powers, but I honestly feel like going invisible is a bit too powerful and makes the game a breeze for most part.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I just picked up a copy of baldur's gate 1 and 2 on gog since it's on sale. Might as well mod those instead of picking up the enhanced versions.

Yep. Best thing to do. Even though BG2 is one of my favorite games of all time, Beamdog's shit doesn't excite me in the least due to what's already available.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Beamdog has control of the Baldur's Gate licence again

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/16/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-back-on-app-store/

How do you update the Steam release? If Atari controls that one, I doubt they will forward the update to them.

It's Hasbro that owns the Baldur's Gate IP in addition to a few other classic franchises via its Wizards of the Coast subsidiary. With Atari knocking on death's door I assume the Enhance Editions from this point forward will either be published through Hasbro (see GOG) or perhaps Beamdog has been given the green light to self-publish.

I just picked up a copy of baldur's gate 1 and 2 on gog since it's on sale. Might as well mod those instead of picking up the enhanced versions.

You need both as BG1 won't run on modern systems (for many, at least) without the mod that converts the content for use in the BG2 engine. Poor form on CDPR's part.

Turfster

Are the original Red Faction games still good? They've got the first two for $2 each and I'd like to try one out and was wondering if either was worth it.

Sure, they're fun as long as you remember their age.
Still, the destructible environments are great and they're fun shooters.

Grief.exe

With more interesting enemies and the openness of the first half of Crysis 1 they could've really made something special. Some people will hate me for saying this, but I feel like Halo is Crysis done right, to a certain extent at least. Halo offers a more diverse sandbox, with more interesting enemies with fairly open levels (although not as much as Crysis 1) so you can approach encounters in different ways. Crysis does manage to mix things up with the suit powers, but I honestly feel like going invisible is a bit too powerful and makes the game a breeze for most part.

I could agree with that.

Halo set out to do what Crysis 1 set out to do originally, except Halo had to deal with the limitations of the Xbox.

Halo definitely had more interesting weapons, enemies, story, and music. I would say the shooting gameplay was better in Halo as well.

It's Hasbro that owns the Baldur's Gate IP in addition to a few other classic franchises via its Wizards of the Coast subsidiary. With Atari knocking on death's door I assume the Enhance Editions from this point forward will either be published through Hasbro or perhaps Beamdog has been given the green light to self-publish.

I agree, they probably came to some agreement through Hasbro, with throwing them a little money of course.

Hopefully one of the two takes control of the Steam published version and can update that one accordingly, and release BG2:EE.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and all that.

steveovig

Sure, they're fun as long as you remember their age.
Still, the destructible environments are great and they're fun shooters.

Thanks for the input. I did happen to notice they won't run on newer video cards so I might be out on them. I can't run Armageddon and I may be able to run Guerilla though.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
If you haven't already, you should install Enhanced Steam which will highlight these games and make them easier to remove. I'm also working on a new button that will clear all of the games you already own from your wishlist with one click.
Sweet, I will. The client usually fits what I need but the larger the library grows the more unwieldy it gets to manage. The amount of great features you managed to put in Enhanced is pretty great, good work!

JaseC

The original was a rather novel FPS experience back in its day thanks to the destructible terrain, although I'm not sure how well it's aged. More broadly, people are going to recommend Guerilla, but I'd be wary of how bland and lifeless the world is -- it may be fun to blow up key supports to watch buildings crumble and kill people with an ostrich hammer, but the rest of the game just isn't very good.

Turfster

Thanks for the input. I did happen to notice they won't run on newer video cards so I might be out on them. I can't run Armageddon and I may be able to run Guerilla though.
Guerilla is GFWL broken patch hell for me, impossible to start the game.
Try 1 anyway, I had no trouble on a recentish amd hd card.

Overdoziz

Banned
The original was a rather novel FPS experience back in its day thanks to the destructible terrain, although I'm not sure how well it's aged. More broadly, people are going to recommend Guerilla, but I'd be wary of how bland and lifeless the world is -- it may be fun to blow up key supports to watch buildings crumble and kill people with an ostrich hammer, but the rest of the game just isn't very good.
Hey now, Guerrilla has a very varied environment. There's brown, red-brown, green-brown and don't forget grey-brown!

My memory of the first one was digging myself into a giant hole (literally) and quick saving before I realised it.

JaseC

Hey now, Guerrilla has a very varied environment. There's brown, red-brown, green-brown and don't forget grey-brown!

And my personal favourite: brown-brown.

My memory of the first one was digging myself into a giant hole (literally) and quick saving before I realised it.

I remember the game having a test level where you were free to muck around with the destruction component of the engine, and after about an hour or so of just digging around the place I eventually discovered that there's a hard limit to how much destruction you can actually do. I was so disappointed. :(

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
What's the reasoning for not getting extra copies of the games you have when you buy a collection (aside from those promotions listed in the FAQ)? Have people abused the system somehow before or was it always like this?

What's the reasoning for not getting extra copies of the games you have when you buy a collection (aside from those promotions listed in the FAQ)? Have people abused the system somehow before or was it always like this?

It's a Steam thing, I guess... although I remember it being an option for publishers. More often than not duplicates will just disappear.

Doesn't really seem right to me since you do 'buy' the bundle, so you should get that key anyway. To trade or give.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

It's always been this way. It's a greed thing, basically.

Whools

Valve do it for certain games, like if you buy the portal bundle or the HL2 bundle, as well as a few others. But as others said, mostly greed/lack of a point in doing so

JaseC

Outside of the few exceptions, the policy on extra copies has always been what it is now. Publishers are probably wary that encouraging extra copies would see a dramatic reduction in sales due to the exponential increase in trading/sharing it would allow.

notsureifserious.jpg

TressFX on? Turn it off. Game is rather beautiful and ran fine on my 560ti448

jshackles

Almost done...

gMIazbX.png

Turfster

Yeah, no.

Also, one drawback of being the firs one to die in hammerwatch and the team being out of lives is that you have to wait for the rest of the team to die too... which can take a long time =p

I know this is the 'steam' thread, but...

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Mirror's Edge Origin -- MB-BD6AA2DD24171B83
Medal of Honor Origin -- MB-11B4E374CFAC74DE
Mirror's Edge STEAM -- MB-6B397846B2CED364 - Taken by crimsonheadGCN
Crysis 2 ME Origin -- MB-80DAA916B83883BA - Taken by t-ramp
Dead Space Origin -- MB-4B8C1F620F4893B3
Burnout Paradise Origin -- MB-DB419E244953AF25

ALL BUT ONE GAME ACTIVATES ON ORIGIN
Also, sorry if the thread is inundated with these games.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
notsureifserious.jpg

TressFX on? Turn it off. Game is rather beautiful and ran fine on my 560ti448
It is off.

NJmH5D2.jpg

I tested everything. Textures change nothing, if I drop shadows to normal and level of detail to medium I get like a 5-8fps boost. Not a great tradeoff when it is running 30-45fps. I really don't think this looks better than Underworld (just a different art style) but the performance is bad in general and inconsistent as it has a lot of drops, likely related to loading the open world. I'm on a 5850 so maybe this is yet another situation where it runs like shit on ATI, which is really disappointing when other Tomb Raider games run like a dream. I mean even the infamous Saints Row 3 ran better and Sleeping Dogs was flawless. This is very disappointing. I'm thinking of just locking it at 30fps to make it consistent but if the jerky drops are from loading that won't help.

Miker

Has anybody gotten downsampling working on Burnout Paradise? It crashes for me when trying to run at 1440p. I'm on an AMD card, though.

jshackles

All you need now is a cost per hour number.

Yeah I was thinking about adding that. It gets tricky with formatting and whatnot when you take 5 currencies into consideration.

And should the cost per hour just include the main story? Or completionist time? Thoughts?

I'm thinking about leaving it out (for now) due to too many unknown factors.

JaseC

Yeah, no.

To be fair, Underworld's PC port is great and so at max settings it probably does look better than TR 2013 at medium settings.

It is off.

NJmH5D2.jpg

I tested everything. Textures change nothing, if I drop shadows to normal and level of detail to medium I get like a 5-8fps boost. Not a great tradeoff when it is running 30-45fps. I really don't think this looks better than Underworld (just a different art style) but the performance is bad in general and inconsistent as it has a lot of drops, likely related to loading the open world. I'm on a 5850 so maybe this is yet another situation where it runs like shit on ATI, which is really disappointing when other Tomb Raider games run like a dream. I mean even the infamous Saints Row 3 ran better and Sleeping Dogs was flawless. This is very disappointing. I'm thinking of just locking it at 30fps to make it consistent but if the jerky drops are from loading that won't help.

The game is actually one of the rare cases where AMD cards fare better. Squeenix even screwed Nvidia over by sending it an updated build at the last minute, which rendered much of Nvidia's existing optimisation work useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom