• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
At least Steam no longer eats unused keys pertaining to games you already own. It's really quite ridiculous the client had such a fundamentally stupid issue at all.

I guess I don't have to uninstall the NVIDIA GeForce Experience program. According to the latest Steam update:

- Work around a regression caused by recent versions of GeForce Experience which prevented the guide button from working on X360 controllers

Of course, I never really use the guide button on the 360 controller.

Khronico

Too scary for me man.

I can handle the atmospheric stuff like System Shock 2 or Betrayed, but I can't handle jump scares over a long period of time.

Actually, 4 hours in and I have only encountered 2 major jump scares. Most of it's just ambient dread and paranoia. And hobos.

Condemned is good. Though I replayed it recently, and the spooks didn't age as well as I wanted them to. I don't know if it was just due to revisiting it, and already knowing stuff before it happened, or what. The famous scares from it still work, but a lot of the lesser ones don't any more.

It's kind of like when I tried F.E.A.R. for the first time this summer, and none of the stuff I would have found scary back around the time of release had much effect. Like walking down a hallway and hearing a baby cry, then see a flash of a bloody man laying on the ground for half a second while a loud sound plays. The Alma bits worked for the first few appearances, but then faded as I went on.

It could just be me, and the standards I hold to my spooks. You should probably still play Condemned, Grief. It's a really good game that has some good scares in it, versus a scary atmosphere with some game in it (not calling anything in particular out).

Also Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs comes out the day that I move into my new apartment, so I'll get to permanently connect that event with the spookiness of Amnesia (and subsequently force myself into being afraid of the place for the first few months of living there).

Bluth54

At least Steam no longer eats unused keys pertaining to games you already own. It's really quite ridiculous the client had such a fundamentally stupid issue at all.

I'm pretty sure it ate one of my keys yesterday. I preordrered the new X-com game from Green Man Gaming and the key they had listed on my account as the new Xcom game was actually the Spec Ops preorder bonus, it showed that the game redeemed on my account even though I already owned it. I haven't actually tried the key again to see if it's actually been redeemed.

Grief.exe

Actually, 4 hours in and I have only encountered 2 major jump scares. Most of it's just ambient dread and paranoia. And hobos.

Hobos instill a primal fear in me

022013-saoirse-ronan-623.jpg

So I need to rebuy it. Bummer. Thanks.

wait...no. How did you get that idea?

Why don't you say exactly what you are looking for.

wilflare

the next thing jshackles need to do is to make an option to find out the key used to claim
and for gift/guest passes - who gave it to you!

Oh, great news.

But honestly, that wasn't very clear from the thread you linked me. Thanks for the help, though.

Also, I stopped here first, which gave me the wrong idea in the first place.

JaseC

I'm pretty sure it ate one of my keys yesterday. I preordrered the new X-com game from Green Man Gaming and the key they had listed on my account as the new Xcom game was actually the Spec Ops preorder bonus, it showed that the game redeemed on my account even though I already owned it. I haven't actually tried the key again to see if it's actually been redeemed.

I'm assuming it redeemed because you didn't own the Co-op Challenge Mode DLC, which is included.

Salsa

so what are the steps I should follow to get my Saints Row character in IV?

do I need to go into 3 and upload it to the whatever-thingie

JaseC

Hobos instill a primal fear in me

022013-saoirse-ronan-623.jpg

wait...no. How did you get that idea?

Why don't you say exactly what you are looking for.

Hey, I recognise that person!

Yes. And the DLC will probably be back for individual sale.

Have you actually looked into that? The vanilla Arkham Asylum app hasn't been updated in quite a while and there are no achievements currently tied to it.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I just want to be able to load up Steam on my laptop and not have it remove all the non-Steam games I've added to the library on my desktop.

jediyoshi

Yes. And the DLC will probably be back for individual sale.

Man that'd be super weird. I wonder how sound it'd be for them to just keep everything consolidated and upgrade existing non goty copies. Would be a nice (and way simpler) move if alongside that they had some sort of promotion bringing non steam copies over as well.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wouldn't mind the wishlist so much if it removed games you added via keys. It's been what, 8? years now Valve. Fix that shit, please.

Button coming soon to do this in one click.

The wishlist is indeed a mess. The fact that a lot of game images on it are still broken is scary. Of course, Enhanced Steam fixes this, but why can't Valve?

yeah, the numbers are seriously kinda insane

it's probably the best move EA has ever done towards Origin, I bet a lot of people are gonna jump in to play Crap Space 3

It's so insane that I think it's possible we'll get another EA bundle down the line that is not 100% charity.

Grief.exe

Have you actually looked into that? The vanilla Arkham Asylum app hasn't been updated in quite a while and there are no achievements currently tied to it.

Man that'd be super weird. I wonder how sound it'd be for them to just keep everything consolidated and upgrade existing non goty copies. Would be a nice (and way simpler) move if alongside that they had some sort of promotion bringing non steam copies over as well.

I really want to shy away from that statement since, like Jase said, there is literally nothing going on in either of those apps.

I kind of assumed that Warner would bring back those DLCs for individual sale, but they may leave that off entirely.

As for the achievements, they should still work across the different apps. Its not like something has fundamentally changed with the addition of DLC. The hooks that pop the achievements should be the exact same.

JaseC

Now I'm hoping the added games next week will include Sims3 somehow for Steam.

That would be nice. I own the base game but none of the expansion packs.

The wishlist is indeed a mess. The fact that a lot of game images on it are still broken is scary. Of course, Enhanced Steam fixes this, but why can't Valve?

Employee 1: "We should fix Steam's Wishlist feature."
Employee 2: "We should also be working on Half-Life 3."
Employee 1: "Touche."

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist

It's annoying you can't wishlist collections. I don't just want SFxT, I want SFxT Complete.

*both play DOTA2 instead and call it community development*

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Sometimes I think they don't want to hire me just because I'll make them look bad.

It's annoying you can't wishlist collections. I don't just want SFxT, I want SFxT Complete.

I'm annoyed by this too, but the only solution is to have this wishlisted data stored either externally or in the browser's localStorage. Also (and the reason behind Valve not implementing this, I'm told) is that not all collections are available at all times. They're designed to be "promotions" and thus by their nature temporary. We all know that's not really the case.

wilflare

it still does. I redeemed two copies of Metro 2033 on my account T_T sigh.
and they were Metro 2033 Only Retail codes

JaseC

As for the achievements, they should still work across the different apps. Its not like something has fundamentally changed with the addition of DLC. The hooks that pop the achievements should be the exact same.

Well, that's the thing: the vanilla app hasn't been updated at all aside from general housekeeping, with all the effort being concentrated on the GOTY version.

Grief.exe

Well, that's the thing: the vanilla app hasn't been updated at all aside from general housekeeping, with all the effort being concentrated on the GOTY version.

Ya its weird, maybe they are just going to pretend the vanilla versions don't exist to save them some work.

They literally have done nothing on either of those apps. I guess I never thought about it since it didn't pertain to my situation.

pmzC9uI.png

yeah, the numbers are seriously kinda insane

it's probably the best move EA has ever done towards Origin, I bet a lot of people are gonna jump in to play Crap Space 3

I can't wait to play Crap Space 3. If only Origin would download at greater than 50kb/sec I'd be playing it now. Only 31 hours to go!

JaseC

it still does. I redeemed two copies of Metro 2033 on my account T_T sigh.
and they were Metro 2033 Only Retail codes

That's not the same thing because they would have contained content that you didn't own prior -- maybe they activated different Metro 2033 apps or contained some DLC. What Steam used to do, though, is eat keys even when they offered nothing new -- they wouldn't redeem, but you'd get the "Product already owned" error and if another person tried to use the same key, Steam would claim it was a dupe. Take those EA keys I gave away yesterday, for instance: I threw them into Steam beforehand to ensure they didn't have anything tied to them that I didn't already own, but since I already owned all the included content, they still worked for those who snapped them up via ModBot.

bah. Why can't I beat the first world in Spelunky?! It sucks that I suck at this game :(

It's a methodical game and a learning process. Take it slow, don't run as much and take in the environment. Try to really keep an eye out for anything that could go wrong or endanger you in any way.

Just started dead space, dat atmosphere, I'm loving it so far. Definitely a night time only game tho.

Kinda pissed i found out i already had an origin account with this screen name, registered a new one yesterday and redeemed my keys to it; ocd in me is crying, i don't wanna keep this secondary username, i don't mind buying another dollar bundle but i don't rly wanna get another five one... but i think ima have to. Dammit.

Now I'm hoping the added games next week will include Sims3 somehow for Steam.

Nah, the Origin version is already perfect.

1. Get key from humble bundle
  2. Log into Sims 3 website to redeem key
  3. Log into Origin client to start download
  4. Log into the Sims 3 client to finish.
  5. Update Sims 3 client
  6. Update Sims 3 launcher.
  7. Done!

Grief.exe

The generosity of this thread amazes me. All of my thanks goes out to HP_Wuvcraft for this one.
And got to give another shout out to r3n4ud for gifting me Betrayed the other night.

Humbly thank you guys, and you are awesome!

TXltHq7.png

This has been a roller coaster for me. I don't believe in anything anymore.

I went through nearly the same thing with AC. Ended up buying the DLC from amazon.

I guess the rollercoaster ride continues my friend.

wilflare

That's not the same thing because they would have contained content that you didn't own prior -- maybe they activated different Metro 2033 apps or contained some DLC. What Steam used to do, though, is eat keys even when they offered nothing new -- they wouldn't redeem, but you'd get the "Product already owned" error and if another person tried to use the same key, Steam would claim it was a dupe. Take those EA keys I gave away yesterday, for instance: I threw them into Steam beforehand to ensure they didn't have anything tied to them that I didn't already own, but since I already owned all the included content, they still worked for those who snapped them up via ModBot.

yea, I get what you're referring to but I sure hope they do better detection next time.
I had one
Metro 2033 GamersGate Retail
Metro 2033 FB Giveaway 250K

or something like that

Deques

It's a methodical game and a learning process. Take it slow, don't run as much and take in the environment. Try to really keep an eye out for anything that could go wrong or endanger you in any way.

I kinda have learned the basics of the game, but still there are a lot new things to learn. I managed to beat four giant spiders. But that's because I used the spikes to kill all those nasty spiders. I was kinda lucky. When I was in the last stage, 1-4, I was a few meters from the exit but then two bats flew towards me. I had one life left. I thought I would kill them in one attack, but that was a mistake. It killed one of the bat, and the other bat killed me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom