• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega

Banned
Just tried Skullgirls beta for a few...

Kinda ok? Animation looks like crap. I think even stuff like SFII looks better animated. That's what really stuck out to me. Otherwise it seems fairly competent. Don't get the hype.

it's a better Marvel Vs game than MvC3

and it's a fighting game on PC. We have to hype it up to show other developers there is a market for fighters on PC.

Sajjaja

you really need to learn how to use the edit button

Was thinking the same thing.

I think I found where babies come from.
1024x600.resizedimage
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=170448052

Ledsen

Just tried Skullgirls beta for a few...

Kinda ok? Animation looks like crap. I think even stuff like SFII looks better animated. That's what really stuck out to me. Otherwise it seems fairly competent. Don't get the hype.

Really? To me the animation is some of the best I've ever seen. Looks like old Disney cartoons or Don Bluth stuff, which I love.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Got all of the achievements in Botanicula. Some of the last few were hard to find.

Speaking of Amanita, it's been almost 18 months since it's said anything about Samorost 3.

Edit: On a related note, I hope we get another Machinarium game one day. What a world.

M*A*S*H

-They get invincibility frames for all their moves, you get none for any of your moves except holding someone (their attacks interrupt all of yours).

Would you mind providing examples of enemies with invincibility frames? Both the jaguar hammer and the armadillos can be hit whilst attacking, though it does require special moves.

-No input buffering and no cancels so everything feels sloppy and slow.

You can dodge cancel everything.

-Long recovery on most moves so if you have to stop attacking one dude to dodge projectiles or attack another dude, too bad.

You can dodge cancel out of special move recoveries.

-If you ever get hit you fall down, never passive damage so it's even slower and you are set up for wakeup hits.

You can dodge on wakeup.

They had all the moves of a beat-em-up but nothing of the infrastructure to utilize them in a good way.

This is exactly how I feel about batman.

Then the special shields and dimension flipping was obnoxious.

How so? The only tricky shield was the white one, and even though they prevent damage they don't prevent cc. I didn't find the 2 dimensions much of stretch either. Just switch dimensions when you grab an enemy, switch back when you throw him and dash initiate to mop up anyone still on their feet. The dash is so useful, and the cc in the game so powerful, that there are plenty of ways to tackle multi dimension encounters.

"Isn't this a little too ambitious for a flash game?" Yes, yes it is.

I could scarcely disagree more, guacamelee's execution is impeccable.

Though I also found the excessive dimension flipping platforming to be more obnoxious than fun, plus Giana Sisters does it way more smoothly, hurting my view of the effect here.

Challenging? Sure. But obnoxious? You seem fine with the concept so was it simply the effect used which you disliked?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You deserve it, cheers to you and your team (if you have one)!

Thanks! A lot of the code is done by me but I have a team of people who update the translations. There have been a few other code contributors (as it's open source) so I can't really take all of the credit.

“Gabe Newell has my résumé; he just needs to make the call.”

Oooooh!

True story.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I got mentioned! Thanks Jshackles

lol no problem! (The part about the 5 stages of grief is true though, you'd never believe how many emails I get from people. Usually somewhere between step 1 and 4. Usually step 1.)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Post seems needlessly flippant considering you were completely wrong about not being able to cancel moves, as M*A*S*H pointed out.
A roll cancel is a completely fucking useless cancel. Cancels are supposed to allow you to chain or mix up moves more creatively as circumstances would deem appropriate, not spread around and delay the fight.

I was being flippant because I didn't want to bother explaining that and I don't want to get into all the other details of why he doesn't seem to understand a word of what I was expressing as it is all based in fighting games. He obviously likes the game and was already defensive about it. I'm not interested in an argument with someone who actually cares about the game so I didn't want to pour fuel on the fire of however he felt the game was being slandered. It isn't important to me to prove myself right on this game. You can think I am full of shit if you want.

denx

That's cool. :)

I played some Civ 5 yesterday. I'm a Civ noob so I'm still learning the game. The "whoa, where did the last 6 hours go?" effect was in full force. By the end of the session the Mongol Empire, France and Byzantium decided to declare war on me more or less at the same time. My military strenght wasn't that great, but I managed to defend my cities every time they were attacked through the game up until that point. This time however, the game thought that I was really screwed, and displayed what I think was a game over message, saying how my empire fell and all that. However, it still allowed me to keep playing more turns even though I supposedly lost the game. What gives? Should I give up that session and start another, or can I still turn things around even when the game thinks I can't?

mannerbot

A roll cancel is a completely fucking useless cancel. Cancels are supposed to allow you to chain or mix up moves more creatively as circumstances would deem appropriate, not spread around and delay the fight.

I was being flippant because I didn't want to bother explaining that and I don't want to get into all the other details of why he doesn't seem to understand a word of what I was expressing as it is all based in fighting games. He obviously likes the game and was already defensive about it. I'm not interested in an argument with someone who actually cares about the game so I didn't want to pour fuel on the fire of however he felt the game was being slandered. It isn't important to me to prove myself right on this game. You can think I am full of shit if you want.

I don't exactly see how roll cancels could be considered useless as they allow you to keep a combo going, and you can cancel specials into each other.

Deques

Congratulation :)
May I suggest a feature? I don't know if Enhanced Steam has it yet. But why not add a suggest a random game button? There are many sites that do this but why not have a random button on Steam site itself? Maybe a random button on all unplayed games, play games and all games. Or even games that have been played between chosen playtime hours :p

M*A*S*H

I would have respected your opinion far more than your condescension. Had you taken the time to explain your point of view and to challenge mine, I feel that I at least would have come away the better for it. I apologise for being defensive, putting across one's case is however, the basis for robust discussion.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I don't exactly see how roll cancels could be considered useless as they allow you to keep a combo going, and you can cancel specials into each other.
Yes, you are right. If you are fighting one guy, and positioning every moment isn't important to you, and you never want to counter something but only get out of the way and then attack, and you never want to do anything different for fun, roll cancels can let you close the knockback to keep a combo going.

For a second there I thought I was going to get to engage in an intelligent, earnest discussion. Congratulations, you didn't let my cynicism down.
My earnest stance is that good games expand your options in higher levels of play. Challenges increase, but you are not limited, your capability and expressiveness is given full freedom. The new challenges only open up more possibilities and stand as more to hold in mind. This is usually very technical and most people don't even bother learning it. In a beat-em-up you can look to Bayonetta for something like this.

Mediocre games give you few options to begin with and then use additional components to limit them further and call it challenge. These kinds of games stifle the expressiveness and imagination of the player and force them into boring molds of linear response sequences. They usually lack complexity, speed, and precision because they never truly had player instinct in mind, but only for the player to conform to conventions it lays out for them.

It seems every single argument I ever get into over a game falls into this general topic of gameplay and capacity for imaginative play. I have gotten used to it, learned to recognize it ahead of time, gotten tired of explaining details to whoever loves whatever game it is this time. Not to mention every time I do, more people dislike me because it was yet another popular game. You looking down on me for not debating the details is not much different.

M*A*S*H

Yes, you are right. If you are fighting one guy, and positioning every moment isn't important to you, and you never want to counter something but only get out of the way and then attack, and you never want to do anything different for fun, roll cancels can let you close the knockback to keep a combo going.

My earnest stance is that good games expand your options in higher levels of play. Challenges increase, but you are not limited, your capability and expressiveness is given full freedom. The new challenges only open up more possibilities and stand as more to hold in mind. This is usually very technical and most people don't even bother learning it. In a beat-em-up you can look to Bayonetta for something like this.

Mediocre games give you few options to begin with and then use additional components to limit them further and call it challenge. These kinds of games stifle the expressiveness and imagination of the player and force them into boring molds of linear response sequences. They usually lack complexity, speed, and precision because they never truly had player instinct in mind, but only for the player to conform to conventions it lays out for them.

It seems every single argument I ever get into over a game falls into this general topic of gameplay and capacity for imaginative play. I have gotten used to it, learned to recognize it ahead of time, gotten tired of explaining details to whoever loves whatever game it is this time. Not to mention every time I do, more people dislike me because it was yet another popular game. You looking down on me for not debating the details is not much different.

First let me say thank you. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to explain this to me. I can absolutely see where you're coming from. We do though appear to come at the issue of complexity from two different places. You prefer a larger, more diverse toolset where the onus is on the player to fully explore and utilise it. I prefer a smaller, more concise toolset, where the challenge is immediately about pushing it's boundaries and exploiting unintended consequences. That is not to say that you cannot do one in the other of course. I enjoy more limited options, because I don't have to worry so much about the execution and can instead focus on putting the pieces of the puzzle together in weird and unusual ways. In the example of guacamelee, I feel the dodge cancel works precisely because of the limited moveset. The combat encounters are designed around controlling the enemies and maintaining space and as such the task becomes how efficiently can I control these large groups of enemies, many of which demand different requirements be met. For a 2d game especially, I don't think guacamelee was ever likely to meet your standards. Please feel to correct me if I've misunderstood anything you've written.

To summarize: I enjoyed guacamelee because it's low level simplicity let me engage in high level complexities like timing, positioning and spacing. I got to experience what you do in games I struggle with like dmc4 or bayonetta. But a game without a complete package like those can't satisfy you as it does me.

Anyone can help me? I recently had some problems with some games with playing with the analog-stick of my wireless 360-controller.
I played Ys1 perfectly fine with it and it still works, but somehow Ys2 can only be played with the digital one, though in the configuration-menu the Analog-stick works perfectly fine.
The same problem I have is with Gianna Sisters. I can only play with the digital-stick of the 360-controller and it wont even recognize the Analog-stick in the configuration-menu.

All the other Games run just fine with the analog-stick.

Any ideas?

AHA-Lambda

How often do GMG do that deal for 25% off pre order purchases? I want to get Batman: Arkham Origins, am I better getting it now or waiting?

Speaking of Amanita, it's been almost 18 months since it's said anything about Samorost 3.

Edit: On a related note, I hope we get another Machinarium game one day. What a world.

I actually still haven't beaten Samorost 2. I can't get the timing down for refueling the ship.

Freezard

I envy you Grief. FEAR is a really great game, I hope you will like it even today. At least I have yet to play FEAR 2 although I know it's not gonna be as good.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I envy you Grief. FEAR is a really great game, I hope you will like it even today. At least I have yet to play FEAR 2 although I know it's not gonna be as good.

FEAR has aged like fine wine, in part due to the non-regenerative health system and top-tier AI.

Derrick01

Banned
How often do GMG do that deal for 25% off pre order purchases? I want to get Batman: Arkham Origins, am I better getting it now or waiting?

Quite often but lately they like to make most coupons not work on a lot of upcoming games. They just had a 20% that did work on Batman but it expired and I chose to wait for at least a 25% one too only to later find out that the coupon that did work on it was a special case. So we may or may not get another one later.

AHA-Lambda

Quite often but lately they like to make most coupons not work on a lot of upcoming games. They just had a 20% that did work on Batman but it expired and I chose to wait for at least a 25% one too only to later find out that the coupon that did work on it was a special case. So we may or may not get another one later.

Right, think I'll just get it now then, it won't go lower than 25% will it?

Phinor

At least once a month.

Not that often and most of the time the 25% only applies to few specific pre-orders. Universal 25% off of pre-orders is somewhat rare and 30% almost unique.

I've been waiting for a 25% off of BF4, hopefully that happens before the game releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom