• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

But you can't always rely on barricades if there are lots of sappers. The fire floor tiles (forget the name) are amazing anti-sapper defenses though.

I suggest you give OMD another shot. It's really a ton of fun.

HoosTrax

Ah damn it Europe you're killing me here. Guess I'm going mod hunting.
I thought I had read that there's a good reason for that. Those Euro trucks are designed the way they are (cab-over-engine, instead of American style with big fat noses in front) to be maneuverable on side streets, not to go tearing down the highway at 70 mph, where there isn't much protecting the driver from a front collision.

Twinduct

I thought I had read that there's a good reason for that. Those Euro trucks are designed the way they are (cab-over-engine, instead of American style with big fat noses in front) to be maneuverable on side streets, not to go tearing down the highway at 70 mph, where there isn't much protecting the driver from a front collision.

Protecting the player from fun I thinks! Although you do get a shitton of tickets with the mod though. And the AI sometimes freaks out and changes lanes at weird times.

masterkajo

Don't know if it has been posted yet but greenmangaming has Binary Domain (€6,24) and Alpha Protocol (€3,74) -75% off. Use GMG20-PJFEW-Y16HK for additional 20% off.

Alpha Protocol is fantastic game for this price (IMO) and Binary Domain gets a lot of praise here. So I will try that.

No Virtua Tennis 4 love? It's 3 bucks with the code.
Ah, sorry didn't see that. Totally my fault. So Virtua Tennis 4 (€3,74) is also 75% off today. Also London 2012 (€12,49).

And while we are at it. Midweek Deal -75% off Gemini Wars (€7,49) and -50% off on Endless Space (€14,99) and Blades of Time (€11,99).

Sorry, if I missed anything more but there side really doesn't do the very best job to promote these deals, IMO.

EDIT: They somehow keep changing for me. Whatever, go there yourselves guys. The have deals going right now: Greenmangaming

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Don't know if it has been posted yet but greenmangaming has Binary Domain (€6,24) and Alpha Protocol (€3,74) -75% off. Use GMG20-PJFEW-Y16HK for additional 20% off.

Alpha Protocol is fantastic game for this price (IMO) and Binary Domain gets a lot of praise here. So I will try that.

No Virtua Tennis 4 love? It's 3 bucks with the code.

Tizoc

That 13 for 13 deal that US PSN is doing is Steam levels of sale, are Sony opening up to the mega discounts that the Steam Sales are popular for I wonder?

Fireblend

Banned

That's a great deal for Binary Domain ($5 with the coupon, for anyone wondering). For anyone on the fence with this game: I usually hate cover-based shooters, corny dialogue and linear design, but this has all three of those and I still loved it. Only real complain I have about it is that boss battles can be tedious and frustrating and getting the best ending on your first playthrough is impossible without a guide, but other than that it's a real joy to play. The enemies are neatly designed and watching how your bullets literally dismantle them to pieces is about the most rewarding thing ever, the music is alright, the scenarios look great and the game's length is just right.

That's a great deal for Binary Domain ($5 with the coupon, for anyone wondering). For anyone on the fence with this game: I usually hate cover-based shooters, corny dialogue and linear design, but this has all three of those and I still loved it. Only real complain I have about it is that boss battles can be tedious and frustrating and getting the best ending on your first playthrough is impossible without a guide, but other than that it's a real joy to play. The enemies are neatly designed and watching how your bullets literally dismantle them to pieces is about the most rewarding thing ever, the music is alright, the scenarios look great and the game's length is just right.
Can Binary be redeemed on Steam? Probably but just in case.
Yep. I got it from GMG myself for a similar price last year.
The description says yes. So yes
Thanks for being helpful sires. I'll pass for now, too much stuff in my plate.

Tizoc

^Greenmangaming has it, and can be discounted to get it for around $18
Can Binary be redeemed on Steam? Probably but just in case.

Thanks for being helpful sires. I'll pass for now, too much stuff in my plate.

When I reeemed the Steam code, Steam stated I got King Arthur, but in my Game list, Binary Domain showed up lol

dani_dc

Was the problem where save files are deleted ever patched? Last I remember it wasn't.

I remember reading that the saves issue was eventually patched. a few months after release.
For what it's worth, I played 17 hours without any issues with the saves.

The acheivements however are still glitchy and will unlock/relock themselves at their own will.

Kammie

I remember reading that the saves issue was eventually patched. a few months after release.
For what it's worth, I played 17 hours without any issues with the saves.

The acheivements however are still glitchy and will unlock/relock themselves at their own will.
Hmmm... Is this any better than Virtua Tennis 2009? Or just the same old game with a few new players?

ShaneB

XCOM: Enemy Unknown
My favourite game of the year, easily. Ever since playing the Jagged Alliance 2 demo, all those years ago, I have been hooked on TBS games. There is something great about being able to take your time, manoeuvre, plan the perfect strategy and then watch it all go to hell when it's your enemy's turn. "That's XCOM, baby!" as Jake would say. The two step approach to each of your unit's turns is a masterstroke imo. It gives you enough flexibility to formulate a strategy, but also gives off an element of risk. Do you make the extra move to get some eyes on the enemy? Do you take the shot, knowing that if you miss there is a good chance you will die? These decisions will make or break you, especially when playing on ironman difficulty. Losing one of your men or women who have been with you for the past 15 hours is a massive punch to the gut. It can all be going fine, then BAM! One mission can turn your campaign on its head. I appreciate this about the game. In an age where most games are quite easy to beat and coddle you with quicksaves, checkpoints, etc, ironman mode says to hell with that!

The enemy AI is generally strong and merciless. The art is nice; the Chryssalids strike fear into my heart whenever I see them. The only thing that bothers me a little is the appearance of shots going through solid objects (without having any effect on the object). It's a very minor thing, so I can forgive it.

Overall, it's a stellar entry in the TBS genre and I'm so glad to see it do well on Steam. Long live TBS'!!!

Meant to reply to this earlier, but just really loved your summary and it just about sums up my opinion as well. I'll stick with FTL being my goty, but the hours I'm pumping into Xcom, I think I could easily rotate them in and out.

Definitely agree with all the points you said, and I've mentioned it before, but it certainly reignites my turn based gaming love. It's probably why I play so much Civ V as well now, considering it's much more calming then Xcom, when Xcom can get stressful and I'm afraid to face the next encounter. lol It's the perfect mix of knowing it's a challenge and a hell of a reward when you win each mission.

Long Live TBS indeed!

Blablurn

Got an answer about this gamersgate/bethesda thing

Hi
If the game is on your account, you will get the key. Although the early estimate was mid-january, we have no confirmed date at the moment on this. We are working on getting the keys for the game and as soon as they will be received, your account will be updated with it. Sorry for the inconvenience this has brought you and we urge you to wait for the serials to be received.
---
Best regards,
Ashot P.
Customer Service @ GamersGate

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Can someone tell me what's the song in the Euro Truck Simulator video? It's fun.
Found the information on the youtube vesion of the trailer.

The song is Hot by Sarah Ozelle. Neat.

She must be totally unknown, there's no wikipedia page that google can find, searching for lyrics yields next to nothing, etc.

esai

finally got my internet back. my modem finally died on saturday and had to wait till today to get a new one. did anyone happen to get an extra dead rising 2 off the record key? my gf missed the deal.

derFeef

So theoretically, if a buy TSW on Steam and I give away the key I get with it, can it get me into trouble? Guess not since that key is only for an account setup and I already have one.

?

Meant to reply to this earlier, but just really loved your summary and it just about sums up my opinion as well. I'll stick with FTL being my goty, but the hours I'm pumping into Xcom, I think I could easily rotate them in and out.

Definitely agree with all the points you said, and I've mentioned it before, but it certainly reignites my turn based gaming love. It's probably why I play so much Civ V as well now, considering it's much more calming then Xcom, when Xcom can get stressful and I'm afraid to face the next encounter. lol It's the perfect mix of knowing it's a challenge and a hell of a reward when you win each mission.

Long Live TBS indeed!
Thanks mate, I'm glad you agree with my summary. Firaxis did an excellent job bringing XCOM to a new generation; they retained the heart of XCOM but made it feel fresh and exciting. I believe that deserves a high amount of praise.

XCOM can definitely be stressful, as you say. I've often found myself sitting for a good 5-10 minutes contemplating my next move, as I know if I get it wrong, someone is likely to die. That's a lot of pressure. Personally, I revel in that sort of environment. I like to be challenged; it makes success taste so much sweeter. It was a good idea for them to include Civ V with preorders (though I'm guessing you already had it?), as I have noticed that once people experience the joy of XCOM, they tend to seek out more TBS games.
If you're talking about GFWL, no it was never patched.
They actually used an outdated version of GFWL in VT4, that's where all the trouble started. I'd recommend backing up your save often (with any game, really) and playing offline to decrease the likelihood of your save corrupting. Also, crossing your fingers and hoping for the best probably wouldn't hurt.

cicero

Miner Wars 2081 Steam news I hadn't seen posted here yet. From an email I received earlier:
It has been almost two months since we released Miner Wars 2081 and it's time for updates and some recapitulation.

Today we released a new patch that adds:
  • Offline single-player for Steam version of Miner Wars 2081 - in other words, now you don't have to be connected to internet and logged into our servers to play the campaign.
  • Optimizations and bug fixes, more info: http://www.minerwars.com/CurrentBuildFeatures.aspx
  • Two new add-ons available for free as part of Miner Wars 2081 installation:
    Cheats - infinite ammo, immortality, skip to any mission, and more (Ctrl+F1 in game)
    2.5D Experiment - multiplayer 2.5D add-on for MW 2081 - available as a set of 2.5D death-match maps (all 2.5D sectors have 2.5D as a prefix)
We want to address an important issue many players have reported - low FPS (bad performance) even on computers that should run the game smoothly. After some investigation we have found the cause - it happens on some computers that have one integrated GPU (graphic card) and one external and more powerful GPU. Expected behavior in this case is that driver/OS switches to the more powerful GPU once Miner Wars 2081 is launched and game runs smoothly. Due to unknown reasons, this doesn't happen on certain systems. We are working on a fail-safe solution - until then please do the following: disable integrated GPU (best in BIOS) or check our trouble shooting page: http://www.minerwars.com/Troubleshooting.aspx

The rest of it was just excuses about why they had to delete comments about the pathetic always on "feature" that they just removed. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom