• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Aside from how useful and satisfying the items are in the gameplay of Risk of Rain, I'm also loving the references to other media some of them have. They're subtle enough to make you smile instead of cringe. Here's three I caught so far in the items I unlocked:

EBTGJq3.jpg
Game of Thrones ("Protects you on the darkest nights. Don't stand too close; some claim to see terrors in the flame. Me? I just see hope."; Sent to: The Watch, Camp 1, Mars)

Person of Interest ("Men in suits" asking around, and a knife as the muder weapon in a case "Elias"; Sent to: NYPD, 5351 and 4th, Earth)

Half Life 3 (a crowbar that will last "at least until the 3rd edition arrives")

And those aren't even the best ones. The text in the Item and Monster logs is always well-written, I didn't expect this aspect of the game to be so enjoyable. Most are clever or funny but some can be dark and moody too, like the Happiest Mask and the Shattered Mirror. Pretty cool, even more when you consider how bad some indie games handle this kind of thing.

Gvaz

Banned
Okay I need help and I can't find it. Demonicon in chapter 1.

The bigass door in the cave you were in for the second time where you have to rotate the pieces. What's the solution? I can't figure out what it should be.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Speaking of games just added, whatever happened to Halo? I remember it was spotted somewhere (database maybe) and then it was being rumored (or hoped?) it would come to steam. Was it all wishful thinking?

donny2112

Speaking of games just added, whatever happened to Halo? I remember it was spotted somewhere (database maybe) and then it was being rumored (or hoped?) it would come to steam. Was it all wishful thinking?

Probably coming exclusively to the Windows 8 store
with a .ini file that just checks for "Windows 8", and is easily editable
or something.

Turfster

It's probably going to break somewhere near the death of GFWL, if it happens.
"We can't get money from GFWL extortion anymore, let's get some money from these games we've got."

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
And those aren't even the best ones. The text in the Item and Monster logs is always well-written, I didn't expect this aspect of the game to be so enjoyable. Most are clever or funny but some can be dark and moody too, like the Happiest Mask and the Shattered Mirror. Pretty cool, even more when you consider how bad some indie games handle this kind of thing.

The writing really surprised me too. The monster journal is great and adds a nice bit of setting to the game.

Speedrunners is currently the best game on Steam.

Factually correct.

Also, adding to the Ship virus:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Ship -- MB-94ABF78192F190A1 - Taken by jmizzal. 2 entrants total.

t1388815584z1.png

It really is a fun game. If you played the Assassin's Creed Brotherhood multiplayer, it's a similar idea with less parkour. If you can get a group of people to play it together it's a very good time, but as a few people have pointed out you really wouldn't have as much fun with strangers even if you could find a full random game.

or something.

That's not how the Windows Store works. You can't download desktop applications from the Windows Store itself. The desktop applications that are listed there, are just links to the distribution webpage.

Not only that, but also what happened to the large amount of games that were added to the database a while ago?

I remember reading about something being said about the future of Halo 2 on PC early this year, so, the waiting game...

Pudge

Several hub pages came up for all three Halo games and they were on that huge list of leaks that came out a while ago that included weird stuff like King of Fighters, Fez, and Shadow Warrior. Pretty much all the games on that list have come out except for Halo, so I can only assume that there are still some sort of plans in the works.

I REALLY want those games on Steam.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
or something.

GWFL8.

It's probably going to break somewhere near the death of GFWL, if it happens.
"We can't get money from GFWL extortion anymore, let's get some money from these games we've got."

Hopefully. I wouldn't mind playing the anniversary edition of Halo.

Several hub pages came up for all three Halo games and they were on that huge list of leaks that came out a while ago that included weird stuff like King of Fighters, Fez, and Shadow Warrior. Pretty much all the games on that list have come out except for Halo, so I can only assume that there are still some sort of plans in the works.

I REALLY want those games on Steam.

Ahh good news. Same here dude. It would be great to play it on the PC.

Thank you all.

Because it's funishment

I probably shouldn't shortcut to the Jungle as frequently as I do. I'm getting better but now tunnel man wants a shotgun and I'm terrible at fighting shopkeeps so maybe I'll have better luck finding one in the Mines. But seriously, damn giant piranha and queen bees. So much death.

Turfster

I probably shouldn't shortcut to the Jungle as frequently as I do. I'm getting better but now tunnel man wants a shotgun and I'm terrible at fighting shopkeeps so maybe I'll have better luck finding one in the Mines. But seriously, damn giant piranha and queen bees. So much death.

Since tunnel man has asked for the shotgun, none of the shopkeepers have stocked a shotgun, over like... 50 plays through the jungle.

Speedrunners is currently the best game on Steam.

CpasYBx.gif

It's only beta and have a lot of bugs, but there are not many games that make me want to endlessly repeat the same 8 maps and laugh my ass off at every stupid glitch or mistake that happens, even if it happens against me.
To be honest, when I saw the trailer pre-release, I thought it would suck balls, but man was I wrong.

Also, I currently hate Steam, market/community was down all day and I missed out to have a snow globe foil badge.
Damn you Steam! (and also thank you for stopping me from wasting my money on such crap)

Thanks.

I know they haven't shown all games, but I kinda figured there wouldn't be a five-dollar game.

well you never know

last year they had hotline miami for $5 and if you had the coupon you could get it free

but yeah initial list is pretty blah but if it doesn't get any better then oh well whatever

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I've.... never tried that.
Hell, they've killed me for stuff random creatures have done in their shop!

All the better reason to murder them! What, a cobra spit on your carefully wrapped present and suddenly I'm a terrorist? I'm in here, risking my god damned life, trying to OVERCOME DEATH ITSELF, and you want to charge me $20,000 for a jetpack? You're stuck in here! What good is gold for you?! I'm on an adventure here! MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE BUILT A SHOP NEXT TO AN ARROW TRAP IGGY, I'M NOT GOING TO FEEL SORRY THAT YOU GOT STABBED.

An-Det

Just curious what everybody's favorite game they bought off the sale,(assuming you even played your games) mine would have to be brothers so far, haven't dived into spelunky yet

Of what I bought I've played Brothers and The Swapper so far. Brothers was pretty cool, nice and touching. The Swapper was awesome scifi and had great puzzles, and I went back to play it again afterwards, so that's definitely my favorite of the sale so far.

mrgone

It's kind of a devil's bargain, those shortcuts. Sure you get ahead faster, but without the resources from the earlier levels it makes them quite a bit more difficult. Having a stockpile of of bombs and the paste to make 'em sticky is pretty important for the later levels, as well as stuff to make you more mobile

Aside from how useful and satisfying the items are in the gameplay of Risk of Rain, I'm also loving the references to other media some of them have. They're subtle enough to make you smile instead of cringe. Here's three I caught so far in the items I unlocked:

Game of Thrones ("Protects you on the darkest nights. Don't stand too close; some claim to see terrors in the flame. Me? I just see hope."; Sent to: The Watch, Camp 1, Mars)

Person of Interest ("Men in suits" asking around, and a knife as the muder weapon in a case "Elias"; Sent to: NYPD, 5351 and 4th, Earth)

Half Life 3 (a crowbar that will last "at least until the 3rd edition arrives")

The devs were really atentious to the gane lore. Reading that some monsters appear to be pacific and only get aggressive upon you brings some interesting perspective.

Hey guys, I've never done this before, but does anyone have a spare Terraria key lying around? I have a really poor friend who clearly missed the sale and needs a good co-op game to get him through the rest of his break. If it helps, I can buy it off of you on Steam for ~$2.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom