• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kai3345

Banned
Is the Left 4 Dead 1 community still active? I might double dip and get it on PC if I can get it for a good price during the holiday sale.

Zzoram

kai3345 said:
Is the Left 4 Dead 1 community still active? I might double dip and get it on PC if I can get it for a good price during the holiday sale.

There are still a 3000-7000 people that play it at any given moment so there is no shortage of games.

That said, L4D2 is a superior game in every way, and once you get it, there isn't much reason to go back other than to do all the old campaigns once.

kai3345

Banned
Zzoram said:
There are still a 3000-7000 people that play it at any given moment so there is no shortage of games.

That said, L4D2 is a superior game in every way, and once you get it, there isn't much reason to go back other than to do all the old campaigns once.
Yeah, but I doubt my PC can run L4D 2 and I already have that on 360

I mainly wanna get L4D1 for PC is because of the custom campaigns and it will probably be pretty cheap if it ends up on the holiday sale.

Blizzard

Banned
$10 for Torchlight? I've heard good things, I guess it's at least worth trying the demo! Kudos to them for putting out a demo...

kai3345 said:
I mainly wanna get L4D1 for PC is because of the custom campaigns and it will probably be pretty cheap if it ends up on the holiday sale.

It was $7.49 during the 5 day sale, I can't see it being discounted for less.

From the time I've spent with it (about 2 weeks), I'm not finding it difficult to get a full game going. Sometimes I'll start a campaign on my own and it'll be full within a few minutes, playing with the AI isn't that bad actually.

MrDaravon

Picked up Torchlight; only hadn't before just because I'm neck-deep in backlog right now, but at $10 I went ahead and grabbed it for later. Game is fantastic from what I've played of the demo, and it even runs totally fine on this POS PC I'm using in here as well.

Traced-Velocity said:
Depends on the game. If the game stores the saves in the same directory as the installation, then yes. But if the game saves are stored in My Documents, or the like, then I don't think Steam Backup grabs those.
I'm not sure that's true. I tried to backup HL2 using Steam's backup feature (and Valve games store saves in the game's folder) and when I restored it, found it only backed up the core game files. Then again, this was a few years ago, they might have improved it.

kai3345

Banned
toasty_T said:
It was $7.49 during the 5 day sale, I can't see it being discounted for less.

From the time I've spent with it (about 2 weeks), I'm not finding it difficult to get a full game going. Sometimes I'll start a campaign on my own and it'll be full within a few minutes, playing with the AI isn't that bad actually.
FFffffuuuu

How did I miss that?

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
mattiewheels said:
There's no way it could go lower than 10....right? I'd feel dirty paying less than that for such a wonderful game, anyways.

Might. Might not. I bought it day one, so it doesn't really matter too much for me either way.

Also: Is that picture of Bowie in your avatar from around the Berlin time? Maybe Lodger even? It's my favourite look for him, by far.

Dipper145

Picked up Torchlight, was hoping for a deal during the x-mas sale. I don't even know when that starts but I'm still looking forward to spending a load of money. What a deal for 50% off.

Zzoram said:
You gotta do the Teletubbie Mod. I just want more people to kill them. Kill them dead. Over and over.

Actually, the Tubbies are awesome compared to Barney and the Backyardigans.

/rant of parent of pre-schooler

Firestorm

With Torchlight at 50% off and Mirror's Edge at 75% off already, the only game that's a must buy for me for Boxing Week is now Fallout 3 GOTY if it's 50% or more off. Also the games I have in mind for my Secret Santa gift.

Struct09

Been waiting for the Torchlight sale. Just bought it.

The Steam Cloud support couldn't have come at a better time, I'm on vacation and only have my laptop :D

speculawyer said:
You gotta do the Teletubbie Mod. I just want more people to kill them. Kill them dead. Over and over.

Hey now, the Backyardigans are awesome.

ShinNL

I thought Torchlight wouldn't be that great since it isn't online. 7 hours later after buying it: I missed my nap and it's almost noon here :lol

Spwn

Been waiting for a Torchlight sale. My friends laughed at me when the game came out and I was the only one who didn't buy it. :(

bryehn said:
Yay for Torchlight update!

Bit of a noob question here, but how do I activate/use Steam Cloud?

It's automatic. When you start up a game or exit the game that support Steam Cloud, you'll see under the game's status that it is "Syncing." That's just the game downloading or uploading the save files and configuration files to the Steam cloud servers.

bryehn said:
Yay for Torchlight update!

Bit of a noob question here, but how do I activate/use Steam Cloud?

If you are talking about the save file for Torchlight, I was wondering the same thing.

Answer: you don't. It just works. I played some Torchlight on my PC, closed out, fired up Torchlight on my laptop and my character was right where I left him on my PC. So awesome.

Just bought Torchlight but I can't download it. I keep getting a "Steam servers are too busy" error.

I don't know what the issue is since free weekend TF2 is downloading just fine.

Edit: Fixed it.

TelemachusD said:
Just bought Torchlight but I can't download it. I keep getting a "Steam servers are too busy" error.

I don't know what the issue is since free weekend TF2 is downloading just fine.

You can either wait to sort itself out, or change your download location in the settings menu to another server which is nearby.

graywolf323

Firestorm said:
With Torchlight at 50% off and Mirror's Edge at 75% off already, the only game that's a must buy for me for Boxing Week is now Fallout 3 GOTY if it's 50% or more off. Also the games I have in mind for my Secret Santa gift.

oh I have a much longer list than that but otherwise am right there with you

52club

NeoUltima said:
BOUGHT!

Totally needed something to do over break since I'm leaving my ps3 for awhile.

Should we consider this a trial separation?

Thank you Steam for giving everyone the deal we have been waiting for. This won't necessarily add to your backlog if you start to play it. I say this because once you start you just won't stop playing, at least that is what has happened to me. So my backlog continues to sit.

gregor7777 said:
I wish every game used it.

I want to move to Win7, but I'm afraid I'll lose some saves along the way. In fact, I'm sure of it.

Just back up your entire steam folder (not just steamapps, there's another folder which a few games like defense grid use for savegames) and your Documents and Settings folder (xp) Users folder (vista+) and you'll be good. Game saves are either in the steam folder, in your my documents, or the Appdata hidden folder in your user/docsandsettings folder.

TouchMyBox said:
Just back up your entire steam folder (not just steamapps, there's another folder which a few games like defense grid use for savegames) and your Documents and Settings folder (xp) Users folder (vista+) and you'll be good. Game saves are either in the steam folder, in your my documents, or the Appdata hidden folder in your user/docsandsettings folder.

Sometimes there hidden in the ProgramData folder in C: too.

Ogs said:
Sometimes there hidden in the ProgramData folder in C: too.

Ah, yes. I thought for some reason it was in the users folder, but you're correct.

And then you have the odd game like machinarium in which the savegame is actually stored in your flash's cache folder.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
gregor7777 said:

I want to move to Win7, but I'm afraid I'll lose some saves along the way. In fact, I'm sure of it.
Isn't there a way to upgrade that saves your entire C:\ content in C:\Windows.old?

All you'd have to do then is put the folders back where they belong, I did this with XP -> Vista and I didn't lose any saves at all.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a working torrent for the Left 4 Dead 2 DEMO. I want to see if this will run on my machine before I drop $50 on it.

Mrbob

gregor7777 said:

I backed up all my steam save files (usually in my documents folder) before moving to windows 7 and they all work fine. But definitely steam cloud support helps as it makes the transition easy.

kai3345 said:
Yeah, but I doubt my PC can run L4D 2 and I already have that on 360

If it can't run L4D2 it won't run the original either.

Blizzard

Banned
Quick question about the Steam cloud. It'd great when it works, but what if the servers are down, or I start up Torchlight on a laptop without internet? Does it automatically keep your last saved games, or let you start a new one, and save games? Or does lack of cloud access cause any problems?

Blizzard said:
Quick question about the Steam cloud. It'd great when it works, but what if the servers are down, or I start up Torchlight on a laptop without internet? Does it automatically keep your last saved games, or let you start a new one, and save games? Or does lack of cloud access cause any problems?

I too am wondering what would happen in this instance..

Blizzard said:

I assume it syncs everything when you're online, and if you're not it's as if there was no cloud.

Dunlop

speculawyer said:

If they were to do a mod for "In the Night Gardern" I'm right there with you. Neither of my kids will sit though a whole show on a normal day, but if that one is on they watch it like the pod people.

I'm sure subliminaly they are being told to kill us all...

borsdy

Banned
I hope everyone who didn't own CSS before two weeks ago bought it when it went on sale, the game still rules.

I got accused of botting this afternoon :lol:

FSLink

Banned
YuriLowell said:
Last year it was half off.
Seriously? I thought it went down to $79.99, not $49.99. o_O;

I actually haven't bought it either. :lol
Been wanting to buy it the past two years but haven't due to funds + I had friends who let me play their copies anyway so it wasn't too big of a deal.

Now I want my own copy, and I guess it's a good thing I waited since L4D1+2 are now in the pack for the same price. :p

gregor7777 said:
Originally when I first heard they were coming out with Steam Cloud and what it would do I thought it would be a gimmick. After using it in two games now (Trine and Torchlight) I am a believer now. I traveled between my parents' house and my house and thought it was incredibly awesome that my save game followed with me without having to do anything. Every game needs to take advantage of this in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom