• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

Eaten By A Grue said:
Originally when I first heard they were coming out with Steam Cloud and what it would do I thought it would be a gimmick. After using it in two games now (Trine and Torchlight) I am a believer now. I traveled between my parents' house and my house and thought it was incredibly awesome that my save game followed with me without having to do anything. Every game needs to take advantage of this in the future.

On an episode of Bonus Round, I think Garnett said that he thought cloud would be the future, and that LIVE would be the first to use it. Once again, the gaming press ignores the PC and the fact that Steam Cloud exists and is already being used in some games. L4D1/2 only use it to save settings, because there aren't really save files associated with them. I'm sure Portal 2/Episode 3 will use Steam Cloud for saves.

Question about games that support steam cloud, do they also store a save game file locally? Or is the save game not accessible and only on the cloud? I ask because like others have brought up already, if I can't connect to the internet or something I would like to use my dropbox save sync system I put in place with link shell extension for backup.

Zzoram

MisterAnderson said:
Question about cloud, does it also store a save game locally? Or is the save game not accessible? I ask because like others have brought up already, if I can't connect to the internet or something I would like to use my dropbox save sync system I put in place with link shell extension for backup.

Yes it also saves locally. It merely syncs your saves to your Steam account as well. Steam will say it's syncing immediately after you exit the game.

Blizzard

Banned
Annihilator said:
I too am wondering what would happen in this instance..
I just tested it today. Booted up my computer, started Steam in offline mode, ran Torchlight. It said that it couldn't sync save files with the Steam cloud, and warned me that I could lose that data if I played or whatever. So I played, sold some items, then told it to restart in online mode. It said it was syncing save files with the Steam cloud as it exited, and when it restarted, it still had the inventory changes I had made. This was all with the demo, but of course I assume it works with the full game too. =P

Also, every time I see the Detroyer or whatever the guy's name is, I am unescapably reminded of Penny Arcade character design. Am I the only one? :lol

Zzoram

NightHawk17 said:
1)when does the sale usually start?

2)if i download mass effect off of steam do i have access to the save files and other folders?

1) Steam Holiday Sale ususally starts boxing day (Dec.26)

2) Yes. Just go to where ever it saves, probably My Documents/Games.

randomwab

I can't remember as far back as last Christmas, when does the Steam Holiday sale begin? Is it middle of this week or next weekend?

Edit: Beat by one minute!

zombieshavebrains said:
Fixed for us americans :p

Actually, didn't they try to get the sale going on Christmas Eve last year? Ultimately that did not work and the Store went down a lot due to server instability.

Edit: I really wish that I had gotten Torchlight instead of Shadowrun this weekend.

Zzoram said:
On an episode of Bonus Round, I think Garnett said that he thought cloud would be the future, and that LIVE would be the first to use it. Once again, the gaming press ignores the PC and the fact that Steam Cloud exists and is already being used in some games. L4D1/2 only use it to save settings, because there aren't really save files associated with them. I'm sure Portal 2/Episode 3 will use Steam Cloud for saves.

Live already uses Cloud for a few games (GoW, R6 Vegas off the top of my head).

Volcynika

crimsonheadGCN said:
Actually, didn't they try to get the sale going on Christmas Eve last year? Ultimately that did not work and the Store went down a lot due to server instability.

Edit: I really wish that I had gotten Torchlight instead of Shadowrun this weekend.

Yeah, it went up early on the 24th (I think I even made that thread), and then was taken down until it was put up again the 26th.

TheFatOne

What were some of the deals last year? I just wanted to get an idea on what to expect. I am going to have about $300 I can spend on steam :D

Zzoram

TheFatOne said:
What were some of the deals last year? I just wanted to get an idea on what to expect. I am going to have about $300 I can spend on steam :D

Deals vary from 10%-25% off newer titles, to 50-90% off older titles. I picked up Bioshock for $5 and Trials 2 for $2.50 last year.

TheFatOne

Zzoram said:
Deals vary from 10%-25% off newer titles, to 50-90% off older titles. I picked up Bioshock for $5 and Trials 2 for $2.50 last year.

Thanks for the info. I can't wait for the deals to start.

TheFatOne said:

Some of the deals from last year are listed here:

Volcynika's Steam Holiday Sale 2008

Expect only the packages to have a similar percentage off, since many of them have newer games included.

I'm hoping this year that I can pick up Serious Sam HD and Shattered Horizons for 50% off.

Zzoram

Any chance of Sid Meier's Pirates! being on sale even slightly this year? I'd buy it at $5 but regular price at $10 is borderline. Seems like it was $7.50 last year for the sale.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'll pay $35 for the FO3 GOTY. I'd like this before Mass Effect 2.

Thanks.

*sends email*

I hope this works.

mclem

So here's a bit of a poser.

I'm generally in the UK; I have purchased many games on Steam in the UK, that's all fine.

However, at Christmas, I'm visiting my parents. In France.

Steam really, really doesn't like this. I'm not trying to actually use the games - this machine's pretty old, and on a capped connection - but I'd like to make purchases using my credit card for my account, to use when I get back home.

"Your billing address doesn’t look like it matches up with your current country. Please contact support for assistance or use a payment method registered to your current address."

My card, of course, is registered at the UK account. I could contact support, but the last time I tried to they took far too long and I'd like to nab Torchlight while it's cheap.

Any suggestions?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Do you have two computers? One that could stay in the UK and one you can access in France? You could try setting up a VPN (virtual private network) and use your UK computer as a proxy.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
mclem said:
Steam really, really doesn't like this. I'm not trying to actually use the games - this machine's pretty old, and on a capped connection - but I'd like to make purchases using my credit card for my account, to use when I get back home.

"Your billing address doesn’t look like it matches up with your current country. Please contact support for assistance or use a payment method registered to your current address."

My card, of course, is registered at the UK account. I could contact support, but the last time I tried to they took far too long and I'd like to nab Torchlight while it's cheap.

Any suggestions?
You're using the french store and your Credit Card has an UK address. You should be using it in the UK store. (because it's probably already paired with your account).

You'll have to use a VPN service. If you have your computer on at your home, remote desktop to it and purchase it there.

mclem said:

I'm generally in the UK; I have purchased many games on Steam in the UK, that's all fine.

Any suggestions?

Contact Steam Support through their ticket system and tell them that you'll be in another country for a few weeks and that you may want to buy some stuff when they go on sale. I believe they'll flag your account to allow purchases in foreign countries if you do this.

mclem

For convenience in the future I'll probably use the support option, but I should have added that I am actually at my parents' now, and therefore there's not a lot of scope for things that required advance preparation.

However, the VPN suggestion worked a treat; I've access to a few computers in the UK, and they sorted me out nicely. I'm now a very satisfied owner of Torchlight :)

b.e.r.g

Neato, Torchlight is so bought. Didn't need no download eighter, since I already had the demo, and they also kept my demo character :D

Zzoram said:

uncharted 2 uses the cloud to save mutiplayer replays

Zzoram

TrAcEr_x90 said:
uncharted 2 uses the cloud to save mutiplayer replays

Is that just sharing replays, backing up to their servers, or syncing? Halo 3 let you upload replays to Bungie servers and other people could download it to watch (including yourself), but that's not the same as syncing.

mclem said:

Any suggestions?

Paying through Paypal instead should solve your problem.

Oreoleo

b.e.r.g said:
Neato, Torchlight is so bought. Didn't need no download eighter, since I already had the demo, and they also kept my demo character :D

I thought that was really awesome on their part.

On the other hand though, I got the achievement for killing the first "boss" I guess in the demo. When I loaded up the game after I bought it with my progress in tact, the boss was still dead but I don't have my achievement :(

Big-E

For those of you that had a problem getting Last Remnant to start up I fixed my problems with it. Whenever I tried to load it, I was greeted with the little splash screen and that was it. It would sit there indefinitely until I forced closed it. I found this thread on the steam forums where they found a solution. Try it out if you are having the same problems I was as there is nothing more frustrating buying a game knowing that it doesn't work.

Javaman

Big-E said:
For those of you that had a problem getting Last Remnant to start up I fixed my problems with it. Whenever I tried to load it, I was greeted with the little splash screen and that was it. It would sit there indefinitely until I forced closed it. I found this thread on the steam forums where they found a solution. Try it out if you are having the same problems I was as there is nothing more frustrating buying a game knowing that it doesn't work.

I'll have to try that when I get home, although I don't have a Creative sound card. I wonder if it'll work with an onboard AC97?

Big-E

Javaman said:
I'll have to try that when I get home, although I don't have a Creative sound card. I wonder if it'll work with an onboard AC97?

I don't have a sound card and it fixed my issue nice and good. It is worth a shot as it is easy to go back to the original settings.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'm surprised there isn't a Monday deal yet. Maybe they are saving everything for the post Christmas sale. I'm hoping for a bunch of games to be in the $0.99 to $2.50 range (mostly because I'm broke >.>)

Javaman

Archie said:
I'm surprised there isn't a Monday deal yet. Maybe they are saving everything for the post Christmas sale. I'm hoping for a bunch of games to be in the $0.99 to $2.50 range (mostly because I'm broke >.>)

I'm hoping for a good deal on the oldschool COD titles. They are vastly overpriced still. Also the Fallout collectors pack (Gonna double dip on that one just to get them on steam. :eek:P)

randomwab

I've been holding off on a few Steam purchases over the past two weeks in fear that anything I buy will be in the Christmas sale. Mainly the Jedi Knight collection and the Bionic Commando collection. I feel like a whore.

RJT

I wasn't going to buy Torchlight, but I reached the demo's max XP and when you guys said the full game was installed with the demo and the save game worked, I couldn't resist...

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Honestly I just want GTA San Andreas for the mods and Multi Theft Auto, but I can't justify spending $20 on it.

b.e.r.g

Orellio said:
I thought that was really awesome on their part.

On the other hand though, I got the achievement for killing the first "boss" I guess in the demo. When I loaded up the game after I bought it with my progress in tact, the boss was still dead but I don't have my achievement :(
Yeah the achievements where just added I think. If you want em all you need to make a new character. I already did, thought I might as well refresh the beginning :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom